PDA

View Full Version : Sweet New JB case

jmurphy
07-02-2010, 01:45 PM
I had another thread on this case but in all actuality the case was not complete because it was originally sent with the wrong Lid on it.
Now it is complete so I thought I would share the final photos.
The case is great and JB really went the extra mile on the tooling of the new Lid.
The outside, top & even the inside of the Lid was tooled :thumbup:

Size: 2X5 or 3X4 (However you want to load it)
Style: Commonly known to as the JB "Chris" case
Tooling: In the style of the JB "Ranchero" case
Interior: Tournament Blue (I asked for that, normally black)

jmurphy
07-02-2010, 01:47 PM
More photos

jmurphy
07-02-2010, 01:49 PM
Last photo

CocoboloCowboy
07-02-2010, 02:39 PM
The Case looks very nice.

jmurphy
07-03-2010, 09:15 AM
The Case looks very nice.

Thanks CoCo

12squared
07-03-2010, 09:21 AM
It's JBlicious :). This case turned out great, you and John worked well together on the design, and John executed it perfectly. Enjoy.

Dave

jmurphy
07-03-2010, 01:22 PM
It's JBlicious :). This case turned out great, you and John worked well together on the design, and John executed it perfectly. Enjoy.

Dave

Thanks Dave

trob
07-03-2010, 01:25 PM
Ya know now that I got my dream cue I was going to get the case I always wanted... a justice. After seeing jb's work I've changed my mind. I like the butterfly cases and his are amazing!

jmurphy
07-03-2010, 01:42 PM
Ya know now that I got my dream cue I was going to get the case I always wanted... a justice.
After seeing jb's work I've changed my mind.
I like the butterfly cases and his are amazing!

The case looks much better in person than in the photos. The quality of the
leather, stitching, tooling, interior etc..... is far and away the best I have seen.
Plus the price point is amazing. This case with out the tooling is $475 shipped
and with the tooling it was $675 shipped.

At the BCALP Jack Justis had a case with similar style of tooling. The, lid, pockets, back strap had
the floral tooling and I believe the body was suede if I remember right and the case was $3,500 :eek:

Jack Justis
07-25-2010, 06:07 AM
At the BCALP Jack Justis had a case with similar style of tooling. The, lid, pockets, back strap had
the floral tooling and I believe the body was suede if I remember right and the case was $3,500 :eek:

Actually, the case was Ross tooled with elephant body and was the first case sold. Next year, I plan on having at least two of this model.

jimmyg
07-25-2010, 07:10 AM
Two really nice cases. :thumbup:

Different strokes for different folks. :)

Enjoy!

J

ArizonaPete
07-25-2010, 07:17 AM
An elegant case. Only good things can happen with a case like that.

JB Cases
07-25-2010, 08:00 AM
Actually, the case was Ross tooled with elephant body and was the first case sold. Next year, I plan on having at least two of this model.

Those are some very pretty cases Jack. Ron Ross sure does clean work and your pictures are outstanding.

The $3500 price tag is also outstanding. I think it's commendable and a great testament to your reputation that you can get $3500 for a cue case with not even half of it tooled by Ron Ross and yet Ron Ross charges just $3650 for a saddle that he not only fully tooled but also built himself. Ron Ross' Saddle Price List (http://www.rosaddlery.com/pricelist4.shtml)

Like this:

http://www.rosaddlery.com/images/saddle5.jpg

Anyone who is interested should look up saddle making on Google. It's definitely WAY WAY harder than cue case making.

I hope you won't mind when I post some pictures of our cases in threads about yours as you have done here since you seem to think it's ok to do so. I don't mind as comparison is good. I really need to practice our photography though so I can get pictures looking as good as yours. You really do take some nice pictures.

I also thought about your claims about snug fitting cases and chalk dust harming the finish and wrote a few articles on my blog that explore the subject in a little more detail. Perhaps you would be interested in reading my conclusions: www.jbcases.com/caseblog

You will find a lot about you there as I have been a little too obsessed with your comments these past few years. If you disagree with any of my conclusions feel free to email me and we can discuss it. I am always willing to talk shop.

CocoboloCowboy
07-25-2010, 08:48 AM
I also thought about your claims about snug fitting cases and chalk dust harming the finish and wrote a few articles on my blog that explore the subject in a little more detail. Perhaps you would be interested in reading my conclusions: www.jbcases.com/caseblog

You will find a lot about you there as I have been a little too obsessed with your comments these past few years. If you disagree with any of my conclusions feel free to email me and we can discuss it. I am always willing to talk shop.

Love the new post on the blog! But there is some great information on your blog John.

Jack Justis
07-25-2010, 09:15 AM
Super ignore must have malfunctioned otherwise you would not have seen this post.

Any particular reason you have "comments off" activated on your blog? I wanted to comment but couldn't.

UrackmIcrackm
07-25-2010, 09:45 AM
Super ignore must have malfunctioned otherwise you would not have seen this post.

LMAO. To quote a stand up comic whose name I cannot remember "I don't care who ya are, thats funny!"

The fact of the matter is that something is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. You can spend $200 on a custom cue, or you can spend $10,000 (plus) on a custom cue. A big name cue maker will charge more for a plain cue than a lesser known maker will charge for a cue that they consider fancy. The guy that only paid $200 for his cue and loves it is the guy that thinks anyone that pays $1000 for a cue is a fool.

Murphy might think $3500 is way too much for the Justis case but obviously someone else didn't. It is up to the buyers what they're willing to pay. Since I don't make cases, I am considered a buyer and as a buyer, I do not want to see this pissing match between John & Jack once again.

Jack you've proved in the past that you can be the bigger person and ignore John. John has proven time and time again that he cannot be the bigger person and simply shut up. Jack, for everyones sake, please be the bigger person and just ignore him.

CocoboloCowboy
07-25-2010, 09:52 AM
The fact of the matter is that something is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. You can spend $200 on a custom cue, or you can spend $10,000 (plus) on a custom cue. A big name cue maker will charge more for a plain cue than a lesser known maker will charge for a cue that they consider fancy. The guy that only paid $200 for his cue and loves it is the guy that thinks anyone that pays $1000 for a cue is a fool.

GREEN for a good post! Supply and Demand also is part of the Pricing of a Product thing.

Jack Justis
07-25-2010, 12:25 PM
Jack you've proved in the past that you can be the bigger person and ignore John. John has proven time and time again that he cannot be the bigger person and simply shut up. Jack, for everyones sake, please be the bigger person and just ignore him.

I will now that I know he has taken me off his Super Ignore. You just can't trust what he says anymore.

MidLifeCrisis
07-25-2010, 03:50 PM
Love the case jmurphy, I'm digging it :thumbup:...

JB Cases
07-25-2010, 04:25 PM
LMAO. To quote a stand up comic whose name I cannot remember "I don't care who ya are, thats funny!"

Murphy might think $3500 is way too much for the Justis case but obviously someone else didn't. It is up to the buyers what they're willing to pay. Since I don't make cases, I am considered a buyer and as a buyer, I do not want to see this pissing match between John & Jack once again.

The bigger person?

The bigger person does not insert an advertisement for his wares into my customer's show-off thread.

As a buyer you should want to see this "pissing match".

I do find it funny that you call my customer a "fool". I have never called anyone a fool who chooses to buy a less expensive case than mine.

What I do is explain the differences which I feel justify the higher price of my product. I feel that I owe this explanation to consumers to aid them in making a decision based on value rather than hype.

In this thread the consumer was merely pointing out that he feels he case was an extraordinary value at $675 considering the workmanship in and comparing the design on it to a $3500 Justis.

I have no problem with $3500 Justis cases. They make my cases into a huge bargain and win for the consumer. They are great to compare to on a point by point basis and when Jack offers one up for comparison as he did here then it's all right by me.

So let's compare apples to apples as they say:

....................................JB Cases.......................................... Justis
Price Total - - - - - - -- - $600 (+75 shipping)...............................$3500

Custom Size - ---------> 2x5/3x4......................................... Not Offered
Custom Sized Pockets - ->No Extra Charge .............................Not Available
Extra Pocket - ---------> No Charge......................................Not Available
Personalization - ------> Included (no charge)........................$5/6 Per Letter
Custom Interior Color --->No Charge.........................................Not Offered
Extra Padding - -------->No Charge......................................Not Offered
Two tone Carving - ----->No Charge......................................Not Offered
Warm Fuzzy Feeling ----->No Charge.................................... Not Offered

Other intangibles include pride of ownership and rarity. I guess owning a "Justis" is like having a Szamboti, or a Balabuska, etc... no matter what the actual quality may or may not be there is a certain pride that comes with owning something that is fairly "exclusive" and well regarded.

In that regard a John Barton case has a long way to go to reach or eclipse Justis on the "prestige" factor. That's normal, Justis has been around for 20 years as a name brand. He consistently builds the same case and delivers on time. That's a good reputation and well deserved.

Not many people know me and while I have been making cases for 20 years now as well my path has been much more diverse and my products have had a much greater range. So "John Barton" as a brand isn't well known or given much prestige yet since I have only been out with cases under my own name for just over three years.

So if it's worth $3500 to someone to own a Justis then great. The person buying the case is not a fool. They have invested in a collaborative effort where there are not many that exist and likely to not be many more.

Ron Ross is an excellent leather worker and carver. One of the best. So from a collectible aspect any Ross/Justis case is something of value.

Most folks though they are not buying cases to collect. They are not buying a case for the brand name.

For those folks a $2900 price difference is unjustified. So they go back to the list above and start ticking off checkpoints to determine real tangible value in terms of daily use, better protection for their cues, ease of use, and pleasure of ownership.

Using those criteria it's safe to say that the majority of consumers would be well satisfied, if not overjoyed, with what I deliver for the price they paid. They can invest the $2900 they saved into something else that makes them happy.

So the bottom line in this comparison for practical purposes is -

Fully custom case - no limits - superior protection - $675 delivered.
Semi-custom case - limited choice - inferior protection - $3500

Mr. Wilson
07-25-2010, 04:31 PM
Keep it up guys

CocoboloCowboy
07-25-2010, 04:34 PM
The bigger person?

The bigger person does not insert an advertisement for his wares into my customer's show-off thread.

I do find it funny that you call my customer a "fool". I have never called anyone a fool who chooses to buy a less expensive case than mine.

What I do is explain the differences which I feel justify the higher price of my product. I feel that I owe this explanation to consumers to aid them in making a decision based on value rather than hype.

In this thread the consumer was merely pointing out that he feels he case was an extraordinary value at $675 considering the workmanship in and comparing the design on it to a $3500 Justis.

I have no problem with $3500 Justis cases. They make my cases into a huge bargain and win for the consumer. They are great to compare to on a point by point basis and when Jack offers one up for comparison as he did here then it's all right by me.

...................... JB Cases Justis
Price Total - $600 (+75 shipping) $3500

Custom Size - 2x3 Not Offered
Custom Sized Pockets No Extra Charge Not Available
Extra Pocket No Charge Not Available
Personalization Included (no charge) $5/6 Per Letter
Custom Interior Color No Charge Not Offered
Extra Padding No Charge Not Offered
Two tone Carving No Charge Not Offered
Warm Fuzzy Feeling No Charge Not Offered

Other intangibles include pride of ownership and rarity. I guess owning a "Justis" is like having a Szamboti, or a Balabuska, etc... no matter what the actual quality may or may not be there is a certain pride that comes with owning something that is fairly "exclusive" and well regarded.

In that regard a John Barton case has a long way to go to reach of eclipse Justis on the "prestige" factor. That's normal, Justis has been around for 20 years as a name brand. He consistently builds the same case and delivers on time. That's a good reputation and well deserved.

Not many people know me and while I have been making cases for 20 years now as well my path has been much more diverse and my products have had a much greater range. So "John Barton" as a brand isn't well known or given much prestige yet since I have only been out with cases under my own name for just over three years.

So if it's worth $3500 to someone to own a Justis then great. The person buying the case is not a fool. They have invested in a collaborative effort where there are not many that exist and likely to not be many more.

Ron Ross is an excellent leather worker and carver. One of the best. So from a collectible aspect any Ross/Justis case is something of value.

Most folks though they are not buying cases to collect. They are not buying a case for the brand name.

For those folks a $2900 price difference is unjustified. So they go back to the list above and start ticking off checkpoints to determine real tangible value in terms of daily use, better protection for their cues, ease of use, and pleasure of ownership.

Using those criteria it's safe to say that the majority of consumers would be well satisfied, if not overjoyed, with what I deliver for the price they paid. They can invest the $2900 they saved into something else that makes them happy.

So the bottom line in this comparison -

John presented facts, John did not slams anyone IMHO..John gets a GREENIE!

Mr. Wilson
07-25-2010, 04:38 PM
Bruce, beware of what pots you stir.

UrackmIcrackm
07-25-2010, 05:01 PM

I don't usually respond in threads where I haven't first read the whole thread but I've broken my rule and am replying to a post that I did not read in its entirety. Your posts are entirely too long winded and basically broken records. I didn't read past the quoted part because it simply doesn't matter to me.

I think you should re-read my post. I never called your customer, you, or anyone else a fool.

As for your pissing match - Anyone that has been on this forum for more than 6 months has been witness to it already. There is nothing new to reveal. You've covered anything and everything numerous times over (broken record). You'll rant & rave for a solid week posting nothing short of a novel every time you post. At the end of the week, you'll have some kind of epiphany and claim to be a better person and that there is more to life than arguing on the internet (broken record).

Do you and your family a favor. Spend less time arguing on here and more time with your kid. Your kid is more important and time lost by wasting your attention on here cannot be retrieved once your child has grown up.

JB Cases
07-25-2010, 06:05 PM
I don't usually respond in threads where I haven't first read the whole thread but I've broken my rule and am replying to a post that I did not read in its entirety. Your posts are entirely too long winded and basically broken records. I didn't read past the quoted part because it simply doesn't matter to me.

I think you should re-read my post. I never called your customer, you, or anyone else a fool.

As for your pissing match - Anyone that has been on this forum for more than 6 months has been witness to it already. There is nothing new to reveal. You've covered anything and everything numerous times over (broken record). You'll rant & rave for a solid week posting nothing short of a novel every time you post. At the end of the week, you'll have some kind of epiphany and claim to be a better person and that there is more to life than arguing on the internet (broken record).

Do you and your family a favor. Spend less time arguing on here and more time with your kid. Your kid is more important and time lost by wasting your attention on here cannot be retrieved once your child has grown up.

There is more to life than the net clearly. Your advice is right on. The thing is that "the net" is also life when it affects reality.

The reality is when my customer brings up a value point and you speak to it while at the same time slamming me then I have to respond to set the record straight.

You did not call my customer a fool. You implied it as the converse of saying that the 'person who buys a $200 cue thinks people who spend a $1000 is a fool' is to imply that the person who thinks that is actually the fool. I inferred it from your comment. First the statement is not true and secondly it's overly broad.

My customer happens to be able to discern quite well for himself what value is. He could have bought Jack's $3500 case ten times over without breaking a sweat. (I think).

Your comment about Jack being able to ignore? I guess posting an advertisement in response to my customer's value comparison isn't exactly the best example of letting something slide is it?

While your advice is presumably well intentioned and I am not sure about that, please save it. I don't need your instructions on how to live and handle my business.

If you don't want to read my novels then skip them. You obviously do want to read them since you respond to them.

AZ has a decent tool to ignore me. I gave you all a much better one. Use it.

I will however say that brevity is certainly a virtue and one that I need to cultivate.

So with that thought. Good bye.

JB Cases
07-25-2010, 06:08 PM
I had another thread on this case but in all actuality the case was not complete because it was originally sent with the wrong Lid on it.
Now it is complete so I thought I would share the final photos.
The case is great and JB really went the extra mile on the tooling of the new Lid.
The outside, top & even the inside of the Lid was tooled :thumbup:

Size: 2X5 or 3X4 (However you want to load it)
Style: Commonly known to as the JB "Chris" case
Tooling: In the style of the JB "Ranchero" case
Interior: Tournament Blue (I asked for that, normally black)

Jim,

Thank you for the business. You have been a pleasure to work with and no one could ask for a better customer.

I appreciate the opportunity to protect your cues and look forward to any future projects.

Best,

John

OneinaRow
07-25-2010, 06:59 PM
You both should have much pride in your work as the cases I have seen first hand and pictured here are all of top notch workmanship. As a man who works with his hands to create value to others I also understand the pride you both deserve to carry to the table when discussing these cases. I always have to remind meselves when inspecting another home, addition, remodel or cabinet job that those involved may have not had all of the resources available to them as I have or just may not have used them. Not a bad thing as every situation is different from the next and it helps me have more satisfaction in my jobs and also realize when I pushed too hard on the envelope or should have slowed down to reel it all in. I'm sure it's much different when your tooling leather in your shop and not really any kind of good comparison, just my late nite input. Would be proud to own a case from any maker who works as hard as you two to make a top notch product one day, though my game calls for a $10 one. Thanks to you both for all the pics. you've both shown over the few years I've been visiting. IN a class all your ownS.

SOULHASSORROW
07-25-2010, 10:07 PM
millions dying from hunger and people have the time to argue online EPIC LOL!!! I side with the casemaker that donates more to charity!!

12squared
07-25-2010, 10:40 PM
The bigger person?

....................................JB Cases.......................................... Justis
Price Total - - - - - - -- - $600 (+75 shipping)...............................$3500

Custom Size - ---------> 2x5/3x4......................................... Not Offered
Custom Sized Pockets - ->No Extra Charge .............................Not Available
Extra Pocket - ---------> No Charge......................................Not Available
Personalization - ------> Included (no charge)........................$5/6 Per Letter
Custom Interior Color --->No Charge.........................................Not Offered
Extra Padding - -------->No Charge......................................Not Offered
Two tone Carving - ----->No Charge......................................Not Offered
Warm Fuzzy Feeling ----->No Charge.................................... Not Offered

In that regard a John Barton case has a long way to go to reach or eclipse Justis on the "prestige" factor. That's normal, Justis has been around for 20 years as a name brand. He consistently builds the same case and delivers on time. That's a good reputation and well deserved.

So the bottom line in this comparison for practical purposes is -

John,

Get busy with my case and stop all this foolishness ;). Nice case Murph!

Love always,

Dave

Jack Justis
07-26-2010, 05:39 AM
I guess posting an advertisement in response to my customer's value comparison isn't exactly the best example of letting something slide is it?

JMurphy said:At the BCALP Jack Justis had a case with similar style of tooling. The, lid, pockets, back strap had
the floral tooling and I believe the body was suede if I remember right and the case was $3,500

My post was not about advertising at all.....it simply corrected the misinformation Jim posted comparing a Justis suede case with stamped floral tooling priced at $3500 to his own case for $650. Big difference between elephant Ross tooled and suede floral tooled thats all.

Hierovision
07-26-2010, 05:54 AM
You did not call my customer a fool. You implied it as the converse of saying that the 'person who buys a $200 cue thinks people who spend a $1000 is a fool' is to imply that the person who thinks that is actually the fool. I inferred it from your comment. First the statement is not true and secondly it's overly broad.

No, that's not what he was saying at all. Here's the quote again:

IN CONTEXT, he is clearly stating a cue or case is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Whether someone thinks it's too expensive is irrelevant if someone is willing to pay the price.

How the hell did you jumble that up? You're a mess dude.

JB Cases
07-26-2010, 06:22 PM
JMurphy said:At the BCALP Jack Justis had a case with similar style of tooling. The, lid, pockets, back strap had
the floral tooling and I believe the body was suede if I remember right and the case was $3,500

My post was not about advertising at all.....it simply corrected the misinformation Jim posted comparing a Justis suede case with stamped floral tooling priced at $3500 to his own case for $650. Big difference between elephant Ross tooled and suede floral tooled thats all.

Yes, of course, and where is the picture of the suede case? And how much is it?

And thank you for letting us all know that you plan to have two of these Ross/Justis cases for sale next year. I am sure that whoever would like one can start saving now since you have notified (not advertised) that intention. It's July and the event is in May so that's 10 months. Socking away $350 a month ought to cover it.

Anyway, I am happy for the opportunity to compare the Ron Ross tooled Justis case for $3500 with the JB "Murphy" case for $600. I think I need to post this comparison on www.leatherwork.net I am certain that the struggling leatherworkers there would relish the idea of being able to get $3500 for work that is less than a quarter of what it takes to make a saddle.

So thank you for the "correction" (not advertisement). Please feel free to post as many of these comparative corrections as you like.

JB Cases
07-26-2010, 06:25 PM
The case looks much better in person than in the photos.
The quality of the leather, stitching, tooling, interior etc.....
is far and away the best I have seen.

Plus the price point is amazing. This case with out the tooling is
$475 shipped and with the tooling it was $675 shipped.

At the BCALP Jack Justis had a case with similar style of tooling.
The, lid, pockets, back strap had the floral tooling and I believe
the body was suede if I remember right and the case was $3,500 :eek:

Before this goes to far it's good to remind everyone what was said by the customer.

Spimp13
07-26-2010, 06:31 PM
Yes, of course, and where is the picture of the suede case? And how much is it?

And thank you for letting us all know that you plan to have two of these Ross/Justis cases for sale next year. I am sure that whoever would like one can start saving now since you have notified (not advertised) that intention. It's July and the event is in May so that's 10 months. Socking away $350 a month ought to cover it.

Anyway, I am happy for the opportunity to compare the Ron Ross tooled Justis case for $3500 with the JB "Murphy" case for $600. I think I need to post this comparison on www.leatherwork.net I am certain that the struggling leatherworkers there would relish the idea of being able to get $3500 for work that is less than a quarter of what it takes to make a saddle.

So thank you for the "correction" (not advertisement). Please feel free to post as many of these comparative corrections as you like.

JB when does it end? RuPaul and I would like to know. Thanks

JB Cases
07-26-2010, 07:00 PM
JB when does it end? RuPaul and I would like to know. Thanks

It ends when Jack stops posting nonsense.

I asked him 6 months ago to please leave me alone on the forums and I promised to do the same.

In the past week he has not honored this request. In one thread he chose to slander the way we build cases and insinuate that a snug fit combined with chalk dust will harm the cue and that this is what happens in our cases.

In this thread he chose to advertise his cases.

I know it hurts to see a happy customer compare my case with his in a negative way. It hurts me as well when someone says that a Justis, Murnak, Whitten, etc... has "the best" protection available when I know that this is not true. My natural inclination is to correct that person and post up evidence. That is not the right way to go about it, I know that now.

I had an epiphany about that and realized that each person's experience is not the same as mine. What they believe may or may not be right but it's theirs and to rain on their parade doesn't help.

So I vowed to cut it out and not be such a crusader wading into people's threads to correct them when they made such a statement of greatness that's unwarranted.

However that does not mean that I will not defend our cases from attack by my competitors.

I asked Justis to let it go and promised him the same. He chose not to and so here we are. It ends when he stops. Whatever he posts will be answered if need be and if he then chooses to continue then it will continue.

Now, respectfully, you do not have to read my writing on this subject. Look in my signature and you will find the best tool I know for ignoring a person. You can erase JB Cases from your forum existence. And frankly that is what I would advise for everyone who is tired of listening to me rant about cases.

Sincerely,

John

Dagwoodz
07-28-2010, 07:32 AM
It ends when Jack stops posting nonsense.

I asked him 6 months ago to please leave me alone on the forums and I promised to do the same.

In the past week he has not honored this request. In one thread he chose to slander the way we build cases and insinuate that a snug fit combined with chalk dust will harm the cue and that this is what happens in our cases.

In this thread he chose to advertise his cases.

I know it hurts to see a happy customer compare my case with his in a negative way. It hurts me as well when someone says that a Justis, Murnak, Whitten, etc... has "the best" protection available when I know that this is not true. My natural inclination is to correct that person and post up evidence. That is not the right way to go about it, I know that now.

I had an epiphany about that and realized that each person's experience is not the same as mine. What they believe may or may not be right but it's theirs and to rain on their parade doesn't help.

So I vowed to cut it out and not be such a crusader wading into people's threads to correct them when they made such a statement of greatness that's unwarranted.

However that does not mean that I will not defend our cases from attack by my competitors.

I asked Justis to let it go and promised him the same. He chose not to and so here we are. It ends when he stops. Whatever he posts will be answered if need be and if he then chooses to continue then it will continue.

Now, respectfully, you do not have to read my writing on this subject. Look in my signature and you will find the best tool I know for ignoring a person. You can erase JB Cases from your forum existence. And frankly that is what I would advise for everyone who is tired of listening to me rant about cases.

Sincerely,

John

John,

Did you get my email the other day? I know your PM's are off, so I shot you a message via the address in your sig line...

Josh