PDA

View Full Version : Cue Jockeys

AK-Stick
07-03-2010, 10:49 PM
I am curious to any trends in cue makers and the cues that they build. I imagine Gus,Barry,Haley,Schick,Herek,Tas and Searing are at the top, Bob M as well. But those cues all demand about $5000.00 and up. I should include Gina in here as well although he is making some cues that can be had for around $2000.00 and they are probably one of the better deals out there. Most players probably stay under $2000.00 and closer to the $1000.00-$1500.00 dollar bracket. I would call the cues I mentioned the top level and you can add about 6-10 others that are argueably in the mix. Mike Bender makes a cue in my opinion every bit as well as the mentioned cue makers but his cues on the secondary market are a hard sell. Who's cue move for you and at what price levels.. In todays market id think the prices have dropped and the movement has slowed.

Ken_4fun
07-03-2010, 10:54 PM
Just about all of them if priced right. The buyers are usually pretty savy on prices and if it is a good deal it moves.

For example, if you have a Tim Scruggs sneaky, and price it around $400 it will sell, I see priced at $600 and they are slow to move, and at $350 it moves pretty quickly.

Ken

manwon
07-03-2010, 11:53 PM
I am curious to any trends in cue makers and the cues that they build. I imagine Gus,Barry,Haley,Schick,Herek,Tas and Searing are at the top, Bob M as well. But those cues all demand about $5000.00 and up. I should include Gina in here as well although he is making some cues that can be had for around $2000.00 and they are probably one of the better deals out there. Most players probably stay under $2000.00 and closer to the $1000.00-$1500.00 dollar bracket. I would call the cues I mentioned the top level and you can add about 6-10 others that are argueably in the mix. Mike Bender makes a cue in my opinion every bit as well as the mentioned cue makers but his cues on the secondary market are a hard sell. Who's cue move for you and at what price levels.. In todays market id think the prices have dropped and the movement has slowed.

This business is very fickled it really isn't always about who makes the best cue it is more about who gets the best promotion in the market place just like everything else that is sold as an artistic collectible.

In my opinion for execution of design, fit, finish, and playability of all living cue makers Ron Hailey is the best out there currently that I have seen. I think his cues are still a value and I doubt that anyone can argue that he is also a real nice guy.

JIMO

AK-Stick
07-04-2010, 12:12 AM
Yes i could of been more direct. You are right most players do shoot with $700-maybe $1000 cues, I do in the pub but for league I shoot with a different cue. I had my Gus for 14 years and it was my only cue I shot in the bar, league etc with it, heck I even for got it in the bar a time or two.

snipershot
07-04-2010, 02:36 AM
I was talking to a guy one time that is VERY knowledgable about cues and their collectability and he had a good theory. His idea was that there is a boundary in which most pool players/low end collectors will not cross unless its a give away smokin hot deal. If you watch, you will see its mostly true. The line is $500. Ive seen a whole bunch of cues at
$475 and down, and most all move pretty good, but if you add just fifty bucks, it seems to go a lot slower. Theres just something about that $500 mark that makes peoples ass pucker. Try selling a Scruggs sneaky for $525 and it might take a couple months to move it. Price the same cue at $490 and it will be gone in a flash. I know it sounds stupid, but keep track of it and you will see his theory has some merit.

Joe

hustler16x
07-04-2010, 03:55 AM
Fu*ck your couch nig*g*a I'm Rick James bit**ch

phread59
07-04-2010, 04:39 AM
Sniper is right on the money, literally. $500 is about my limit. It is what I personally can afford. I did splurge and am having a Josey ornate sneaky with 2 shafts being made for me. It'll be about 700$ when finished. It is pushing the budget. But I really wanted a Josey. So I ordered what I really wanted.

I like custom cues. I play with a semi custom Jacoby right now. I will probably never go back to production cues again. For what a standard model from a custom maker such as Rat and Jacoby costs. Why spend the money fro a production cue?

In the comming year or so I will be buying some low end plain jains from a few makers.

Mark Shuman