PDA

View Full Version : It is offically the worst WPC ever

poolnoob
07-04-2010, 08:56 AM
Agreed? Sweating out on so call live scoring They are treating us like beggars. But then again. We can't be Choosers right?

chevybob20
07-04-2010, 09:28 AM
I agree. I really lose interest if I can't watch it.

getsome01
07-04-2010, 09:33 AM
I agree............

TX Poolnut
07-04-2010, 09:42 AM
I wish I could buy a stream of this tournament.

billbOK
07-04-2010, 09:49 AM
What? There is a WPC played right now?:angry:

DaveBKK
07-04-2010, 10:03 AM
Been looking for streams everywhere... what a joke! This is meant to be pool's JEWEL IN THE CROWN tournament. WORLD 9 BALL etc. etc. Where is the TV table??

To all promoters out there PLEASE buy the rights to this comp and sell it to the masses in the right way, this 'big pockets private club shoot-out' makes a mockery of the sport!

pt109
07-04-2010, 10:06 AM
Like i implied on the other thread....
...anybody looking for a stream in Qatar doesn't understand geography

billbOK
07-04-2010, 10:34 AM
Why pt109? Qatar is not Gaza? Please explain, I am just curious.

TorranceChris
07-04-2010, 10:45 AM

He's joking; read the sentence literally. ;)

Nostroke
07-04-2010, 10:47 AM
Been looking for streams everywhere... what a joke! This is meant to be pool's JEWEL IN THE CROWN tournament. WORLD 9 BALL etc. etc. Where is the TV table??

To all promoters out there PLEASE buy the rights to this comp and sell it to the masses in the right way, this 'big pockets private club shoot-out' makes a mockery of the sport!

I cant believe Matchroom let this event go. What a great job they did. Cardiff was the nuts too. What a party town for you youngsters. It seems everyone in Wales goes there for the weekend. On Sunday morning, it looks like a tornado hit it. Another big plus is that in the dead of summer it rarely gets above 75. Today the high is 67.

Anyway I told Matchroom a year or two back if they brought it back to Wales, i would contribute what i consider a fairly decent sum. If the market sinks any lower however, i will have to halve my offer.

TorranceChris
07-04-2010, 10:53 AM

Agreed. It seems they bought the tournament to have it in their backyard and conveniently forgot to invite the rest of the world. In this case, money bought the sports. :(

DogsPlayingPool
07-04-2010, 10:53 AM
I don't know about you guys but I'll be on Lenny's stream of the 1 hole event at Hard Times today.

pt109
07-04-2010, 10:54 AM

Qatar has more sand than the 18th at Pebble Beach.
Last time it rained there,Geo Washington was going postal on
a cherry tree.
If i said 'creek' or 'crick' it would make a lousy pun.
...i'll leave those to the Tramp :wink:

billbOK
07-04-2010, 11:14 AM
He's joking; read the sentence literally. ;)

LMAO I should have seen that! Thanks for the explanation ;)

DaveBKK
07-04-2010, 12:05 PM
I cant believe Matchroom let this event go. What a great job they did. Cardiff was the nuts too. What a party town for you youngsters. It seems everyone in Wales goes there for the weekend. On Sunday morning, it looks like a tornado hit it. Another big plus is that in the dead of summer it rarely gets above 75. Today the high is 67.

Anyway I told Matchroom a year or two back if they brought it back to Wales, i would contribute what i consider a fairly decent sum. If the market sinks any lower however, i will have to halve my offer.

Not just a Tornado, bring back the glory days and let's have a Whirlwind, the old Hurricane and the young Volcano ;) That might put a few more bums on seats :thumbup:

Since when was the WPC NOT an audience orientated spectator sport?

pro9dg
07-04-2010, 12:08 PM
Agreed. It seems they bought the tournament to have it in their backyard and conveniently forgot to invite the rest of the world. In this case, money bought the sports. :(

Chris
You are right that money bought this event but it was acquired at a price that is well below the market value of the event.
Matchroom have properly costed this event at a minimum site fee of A MILLION DOLLARS. This is the amount of money that is required to stage the event in the magificent way that they did from 1999 to 2008.
It gave credible prize funds which everybody got paid. The venue, the infrastructure and most of all the television production values ensured a first class package for an audience that stretched to over 70 countries.

The WPA started the rot by allowing other promoters to cheapskate the Matchroom contribution. The World 10 Ball was staged for less than half of what the local promoter had paid them the previous year. This was reflected in the presentation of the tournament.

They had turned down several offers which were significantly higher than the 10 Ball figures but they did not match Matchroom's minimum sponsorship requirement.

I don't blame the Qatari people, they got a bargain. But the tenure of the event for the next three years should not be dished out without any game plan for publicity, television coverage and a rising prize fund agreement.

There is much more that I could say but I think that most of it would fall on deaf ears.

SouthernDraw
07-04-2010, 04:45 PM
the biggest note geography-wise to me is this...

according to about.com...
population...
age 15-64 years old....males 437,118 ----females 191,830

Needless to say, they need not worry about me visiting:wink:

TorranceChris
07-05-2010, 02:38 PM
Chris
You are right that money bought this event but it was acquired at a price that is well below the market value of the event.
There is much more that I could say but I think that most of it would fall on deaf ears.

Thanks for the clarification. Wasn't aware of the full story behind the scene.

Celtic
07-05-2010, 07:14 PM
the biggest note geography-wise to me is this...

according to about.com...
population...
age 15-64 years old....males 437,118 ----females 191,830

Needless to say, they need not worry about me visiting:wink:

All joking aside that is a scary stat. "Nature" does not cause a disparity like that... :(

LAMas
07-05-2010, 08:09 PM
Thanks for the clarification. Wasn't aware of the full story behind the scene.

What is the rest of the story? What did the low bid buyer get out of the deal? Who posted the prize money....the buyer? It doesn't make fiscal sense.:confused:

poolnoob
07-06-2010, 06:31 PM
Since we are all agreeable to the fact that the event was poorly organize, can we all do our part like sending e mail to relevant organizer to express our displeasure. Which some already did. Could someone provide the e mail address here please?

DogsPlayingPool
07-06-2010, 06:54 PM
Does anyone know if the players have been paid?

nathandumoulin
07-06-2010, 07:21 PM
Since we are all agreeable to the fact that the event was poorly organize, can we all do our part like sending e mail to relevant organizer to express our displeasure. Which some already did. Could someone provide the e mail address here please?

The email address is W9BC@qbsf.info if anyone wants to send them an email. I did, which read as follows:

Dear Qatar Snooker and Billiards Foundation,

The players have played hard and the victor has earn his place in history. Unfortunately for them, the event never existed to the outside world, as your federation has failed to share it with us. The winner of the event has been robbed of the glory that is rightfully theirs.

Please consider actually promoting this event next year. We do appreciate that you've revived the event after it's disappearance in 2008, however it's wasted effort when not properly publicized. This is one of the biggest events in the pool world, and should be treated as such.

Thank you for your consideration,

--
Nathan DuMoulin, RUNOUT MEDIA

jay helfert
07-06-2010, 08:09 PM
Basically you had to be a real poolroom detective to know what was going on over there. Fortunately we have many of them on AZ. If you were not hooked into this site, forget about it.

nathandumoulin
07-06-2010, 08:16 PM
Basically you had to be a real poolroom detective to know what was going on over there. Fortunately we have many of them on AZ. If you were not hooked into this site, forget about it.

Were you over there Jay? If not, then you usually have the inside scoop on....well...everything. :p

Any idea what they intend to do with that footage that they shot? I'm referring to seeing production cameras in that youtube clip when Busti snaps off the 9.

jay helfert
07-06-2010, 08:47 PM
Were you over there Jay? If not, then you usually have the inside scoop on....well...everything. :p

Any idea what they intend to do with that footage that they shot? I'm referring to seeing production cameras in that youtube clip when Busti snaps off the 9.

Thanks Nathan, but I'm out of the loop here. Jews don't fare so well in the Middle East if you get my drift. I suspect that these matches will air later in Europe and Asia. There is a good market for top flight pool on TV over there. We may eventually see them on youtube.

poolnoob
07-07-2010, 12:10 AM
The email address is W9BC@qbsf.info if anyone wants to send them an email. I did, which read as follows:

Dear Qatar Snooker and Billiards Foundation,

The players have played hard and the victor has earn his place in history. Unfortunately for them, the event never existed to the outside world, as your federation has failed to share it with us. The winner of the event has been robbed of the glory that is rightfully theirs.

Please consider actually promoting this event next year. We do appreciate that you've revived the event after it's disappearance in 2008, however it's wasted effort when not properly publicized. This is one of the biggest events in the pool world, and should be treated as such.

Thank you for your consideration,

--
Nathan DuMoulin, RUNOUT MEDIA

Thanks Nathan for the e mail. i will do likewise and hope for more who would do the same.

MasterClass
07-07-2010, 01:30 AM
Does anyone own world pool championship? Or can anyone just organize a tourney and call it world pool championship? Or does an organizer who wants to have a WPC just need to get the blessings of some governing body.

Who are the governing body? I know FIFA is for soccer. etc.

Can we have another WPC? One that people can actually get excited about?

I think i am going down to my pool hall tonight and play a world pool championship! Hey i might become the world champion!

Some rich organization should just step in and buy out this sport right now. Its really cheap. But yet its penetration is even deeper and further then soccer. JMO.

poolnoob
07-07-2010, 01:38 AM
Does anyone own world pool championship? Or can anyone just organize a tourney and call it world pool championship? Or does an organizer who wants to have a WPC just need to get the blessings of some governing body.

Who are the governing body? I know FIFA is for soccer. etc.

Can we have another WPC? One that people can actually get excited about?

I think i am going down to my pool hall tonight and play a world pool championship! Hey i might become the world champion!

Some rich organization should just step in and buy out this sport right now. Its really cheap. But yet its penetration is even deeper and further then soccer. JMO.

LOL, i think congrats are in order on acquiring your new title. You just can't let Bustamante hold on to the title a little longer can't you.:D:D

MasterClass
07-07-2010, 01:44 AM
Sorry for the ranting.

I remember long time ago, playing pool and watching WPC live on TV. I miss those days. I think the game has fallen so far down. To think i once as hoping that it will soon be included into the Olympics!

The only good thing that came out of this WPC was Bustamante winning it! No offence to the other competitors. They are good too. But i think he deserves to be a world champion.