PDA

View Full Version : new shooter needs advice

04-19-2003, 08:55 PM
I'm a new player trying to learn the game late in life, and I'm having trouble because I miss alot of shots cue ball right, object ball left. I know you can't work miracles without seeing my stroke, but can you give me an idea of what to look for? I can get by just aiming a little leaft, but I don't think is wise in the long run.

AzHousePro
04-19-2003, 09:58 PM
I am sure Blackjack will have better advice than I could possibly give, but my first thought would be dominant eye.

Rickw
04-19-2003, 10:28 PM
I have a similar problem. My object ball tends to run left of where I'm aiming it. In other words, if I shoot at the upper left corner pocket, the ob often hits to the left of the pocket and if I'm lucky sometimes it still goes in. Sometimes it hits the rail just before the pocket causing me to miss the shot.

I've done several things to try to correct this. One is trying to get behind the cue more so I can sight down more of the cue. This helps you see if the line is right. The second thing is to try to make sure I'm stroking straight. After you shoot, leave your stick where it is just after the shot or freeze it at the end of your stroke. Look at the cue and see if it's straight. Another thing that could be happening is your stance is not lined up properly. When you get down on the ball and your stance is off, you'll make the adjustments while your down and your stick probably won't be in the right line. While standing up straight, lay your cue on the table still holding it with your right hand. Look at the line of the stick and see if it looks like the right line to make the ball. Of course reverse this to your left hand if you're left-handed. From here, get into your stance trying not to move the stick if you can help it.

I'm not a certified instructor so you might want to wait for David's post but I think these are some things you can do to at least find out what you might be doing wrong. Good luck and practice, practice and then practice some more. And, don't let anyone tell you this game is easy!

stick8
04-20-2003, 12:16 AM
sounds to me like you are missing your hit spot on ob, if you cut it in corner pocket with center ball , move hit spot more to center of ob.if you are throwing ball in corner with english, move even more to center, allways make decission before you get down to shot . start shooting close to pocket, make 5 shots back up a diamond make5 and so on. good luck STICK

Blackjack
04-20-2003, 01:01 PM
This could be occurring for a number of reasons, but it is my advice that you should not seek to have this diagnosed or remedied over the internet. Without evaluating you in person, it is impossible to determine what is causing this. It could be a sighting problem, stance problem, line up problem, breathing problem, or even a cue problem. You have noticed the result, but without having a certified instructor evaluate you to find out the causes of the result, the help you recieve here will be of no use to you. Or, the advice you get here could be incorrect, which will add to your frustration when your problem grows worse. Find a qualified instructor to evaluate your fundamentals and in the long run you will save yourself time, money, and heartache.

Good Luck

04-20-2003, 02:51 PM
great advice all, thanks for the help.