PDA

View Full Version : Why is it, That one shot changes everything ?

stevekur1
07-04-2010, 11:59 AM
Hey,

just had a thought after reading a similar thread.

Lets just say for instance, you are playing a Set or a Game. and you seem kinda stale. not really running out, making mistakes so on and so forth......

Then you make that one shot, and everything changes...you are a run-out machine, everything is flowing. Breaks, Banks , Combos, tight position...You are just on fire !!!

Just goes to show you how much of this game is mental !!

Just My Thoughts
-Steve

TheBook
07-04-2010, 03:44 PM
One shot can make the difference in many things. It may result in a DUI or also make you a daddy.

JesseAllred
07-04-2010, 05:08 PM
Hey,

just had a thought after reading a similar thread.

Lets just say for instance, you are playing a Set or a Game. and you seem kinda stale. not really running out, making mistakes so on and so forth......

Then you make that one shot, and everything changes...you are a run-out machine, everything is flowing. Breaks, Banks , Combos, tight position...You are just on fire !!!

Just goes to show you how much of this game is mental !!

Just My Thoughts
-Steve

It's all mental! We're playing the game in our minds.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jessejallred#p/u/4/jIj6eKKsUJw

9bizzle
07-06-2010, 12:15 AM
Good thought provoking question Steve!! Sometimes when I'm shooting and don't feel right, I just think to myself, "ride it out, you can play through this and find that gear". I think most of the time there might be something I'm doing a little differently that I'm unaware of. When I grind it out, I usually get to that one shot that you referred to and it seems to bring my game back into line. I think it is a matter of getting down on that shot and whatever you were doing wrong before is not present so you see the shot and know it is going to go, and it does. The light bulb in your head goes on and you remember how to play the game again. Very mental yet physical too.:idea2:

mullyman
07-06-2010, 02:50 AM
I find a lot of times that my gear for the day gets determined real quick if I step to the table with a tough shot. If I make it I'm usually good to go. If I miss it I'm usually screwed for the evening. It really is mental.
MULLY

Black-Balled
07-06-2010, 05:50 AM
It can swing either way at any moment, like easy and that is the beauty.

strokerace
07-06-2010, 06:05 AM
I find a lot of times that my gear for the day gets determined real quick if I step to the table with a tough shot. If I make it I'm usually good to go. If I miss it I'm usually screwed for the evening. It really is mental.
MULLY

Yea Mully..know what you mean..always made it a point not to win
my first game..more a series of safes..making a good hook always
starts my engine really well..then i come on in the second game..and
if i have a tuff first shot..i am ready for it..and i always set out the
first 45 minutes after i get into the room for my eyes to adjust to
the lighting conditions..this point is very critical to your evening..always
and always arrive 45 min B4 you start..some can adjust in 30 but why
chance it..Randy

JoeyA
07-06-2010, 08:23 AM
Steve,
I think that when the defining moment comes and you make that shot, you know that you have made the correct calibrations and now you are on automatic. At the very least you are CONFIDENT that you will make all of the following shots, unless something interrupts your flow and you may or may not get back into the flow.

The greatest moments in billiards occur when the brain syncs with the body.

If the endorphins are released in good quantity we learn that this is a place we want to come back to and are willing to pay exorbitant prices to return.

tom mcgonagle
07-06-2010, 08:39 AM
Sometimes, we just need a slap in the face or a kick in the ass to get ourselves going. That is of course, if your capable of playing run-out-pool.

JoeyA
07-06-2010, 08:49 AM
Steve,
I think that when the defining moment comes and you make "that" shot, you know that you have made the correct calibrations and now you are on automatic. At the very least you are quietly confident that you will make all of the following shots.

The greatest moments in billiards occur when the brain syncs with the body and the game becomes automatic.

When the endorphins are released we learn that this is a place we want to come back to and are willing to pay exorbitant prices for that return.

KoolKat9Lives
07-06-2010, 09:42 AM
Joey mentioned my keyword - calibration. At the beginning of a session I have to calibrate - my eyes, my stroke, my rhythm, my confidence, etc. Until I'm calibrated, I typically won't take the super tough shot that if missed will lead to a sell out and negative mojo.

Once I feel calibrated enough, then I'll take that tough shot - that defining shot that can often trigger a player into top gear and invincibility! ;)

The Schwartz
07-14-2010, 07:47 AM
This is the same for golf. I could be having the worst round ever but as soon as I long-iron onto the green or put that drive right where I wanted it, it makes up for all the bad shots before. I can start playing with confidence again and make shots I was shanking before.