PDA

View Full Version : Am I in the wrong?

Road Warrior
09-20-2010, 04:55 PM
Last friday night I stopped at the local pool hall to hit some with a friend for a little while he and I are playing one pocket when a very strong player from here in nc comes in (I'm not gonna name him), never seen him in there before. He sees us shooting and proceeds to ask me if I will play him some, long story short he asks a bunch of times even offering weight from the get go. After about a half hour my friend and I are done the player is pushing it again so I say ok I'll play a few games just to learn something. We're only playing for 10$ a game he wins the first two, I win the second 2 and he offers one last go race to 3 for 25 so I say ok 1 last one. Well I win 3-2 and this friend of his that had come in with him apparently comes up to pay me and he says come on me and you play some. At this point I had already started unscrewing my cue because I had told him this was the last one and I was heading home. The one I played tries to get me to play the other guy saying I have to give him a chance to get his money back, to which I reply I wasn'y playing him I was playing you. Now I think what I did wasn't out of the way but the player seemed to be upset that I wouldn't play his friend. I even offered him to flip for the 25$ for a chance to get his money back but he declined. Was I in the wrong?

smoooothstroke
09-20-2010, 04:59 PM
No.

Keep in mind sometimes peeps will act upset but often it is just that,an act.Weather he is upset or not doesn't matter,you stated it was the last bet.

brandoncook26
09-20-2010, 05:01 PM
If you told him this was the last and only set you were going to play, I wouldn't worry about it. He agreed to abide by the terms of only one set by playing; he should have played better and he wouldn't have had to worry about it.

chevybob20
09-20-2010, 05:01 PM
No. You owe them nothing.

KoolKat9Lives
09-20-2010, 05:05 PM
What if he came there with 4 friends?

Don't sweat it, you didn't breach any player code in the least.

PoolBum
09-20-2010, 05:10 PM
Yes, you were wrong for not telling him and his friend to stfu!

midstroke
09-20-2010, 05:11 PM
You did nothing wrong at all. On top of it i get very upset if someone keeps hounding me to play for money if im not in the mood. My favorite thing to say if i get annoyed is. No it looks like you need the money more than i do. lol

Masayoshi
09-20-2010, 05:21 PM
This happened to me once, but the next "level" just happened to be Santos, so I ended up playing for a cheap lesson. Normally, I'd decline though if I announced that I was going to leave before hand.

I like how you offered to flip for it and they declined, kinda puts to rest their claim that they just want a chance to win their money back. They wanted to "steal" their money back. lol.

Baxter
09-20-2010, 05:28 PM
Sounds like a hustle to me. You did nothing wrong.

JimS
09-20-2010, 05:29 PM
You were not wrong.

Maniac
09-20-2010, 05:36 PM
It's hilarious to me when a gambler loses his/her money and then gets pissed if they don't get a chance to win it back (I'm talking about in the conditions the OP stated where he told them ONE more race ONLY).

I mean, in gambling, SOMEONE has to lose, right? What if two people played that both had the same attitude about losing? That could make for an interesting night, eh?

I guess they could play 'til they were all even and then quit. But then......what's the use in gambling???

Maniac

smoooothstroke
09-20-2010, 05:49 PM
It's hilarious to me when a gambler loses his/her money and then gets pissed if they don't get a chance to win it back (I'm talking about in the conditions the OP stated where he told them ONE more race ONLY).

I mean, in gambling, SOMEONE has to lose, right? What if two people played that both had the same attitude about losing? That could make for an interesting night, eh?

I guess they could play 'til they were all even and then quit. But then......what's the use in gambling???

Maniac

The old time pool gambling mentality was you played until the loser had enough,was beaten, strategically withdrew to fight another day or was busted.The winner could never quit when ahead,they had to make the other guy quit.This is an old concept seldom practiced anymore but to me it has merit if a bit impractical today.A modified version of this is still occasionally seen...

thomba02
09-20-2010, 05:56 PM
The old time pool gambling mentality was you played until the loser had enough,was beaten, strategically withdrew to fight another day or was busted.The winner could never quit when ahead,they had to make the other guy quit.This is an old concept seldom practiced anymore but to me it has merit if a bit impractical today.A modified version of this is still occasionally seen...

thats the rule i play by...

gerard soriano
09-20-2010, 06:09 PM
[QUOTE=Road Warrior;2620498]Last friday night I stopped at the local pool hall to hit some with a friend for a little while he and I are playing one pocket when a very strong player from here in nc comes in (I'm not gonna name him), never seen him in there before. He sees us shooting and proceeds to ask me if I will play him some, long story short he asks a bunch of times even offering weight from the get go. After about a half hour my friend and I are done the player is pushing it again so I say ok I'll play a few games just to learn something. We're only playing for 10$ a game he wins the first two, I win the second 2 and he offers one last go race to 3 for 25 so I say ok 1 last one. Well I win 3-2 and this friend of his that had come in with him apparently comes up to pay me and he says come on me and you play some. At this point I had already started unscrewing my cue because I had told him this was the last one and I was heading home. The one I played tries to get me to play the other guy saying I have to give him a chance to get his money back, to which I reply I wasn'y playing him I was playing you. Now I think what I did wasn't out of the way but the player seemed to be upset that I wouldn't play his friend. I even offered him to flip for the 25$ for a chance to get his money back but he declined. Was I in the wrong?[/Q

Mike in MN
09-20-2010, 06:45 PM
I think the only thing wrong about that story is that you wrote it all in one sentence. Seriously, that was difficult to read.

Blue Hog ridr
09-20-2010, 07:39 PM
Yes, you were in the wrong. You should have given him his $25 back and then played him until he won all your money and he wanted to quit.

Just kidding, he was a dick for thinking it should be otherwise. You told him it was your last game and even offered a flip.
You didin't owe him squat.

real bartram
09-20-2010, 07:53 PM
You did nothing wrong at all. On top of it i get very upset if someone keeps hounding me to play for money if im not in the mood. My favorite thing to say if i get annoyed is. No it looks like you need the money more than i do. lol

yes i hate when people keep asking me to play
well it doesent happen much anymore.
if you told them last set dont worry about it.

johnqbs
09-20-2010, 08:13 PM
i know you was in the right , after all they were trying to hustle you.
after you had beat his side kick there would have been a problem.
take care, johnqbs anderson sc

Secaucus Fats
09-20-2010, 08:24 PM
No you did nothing wrong.

Snapshot9
09-20-2010, 08:44 PM
That's an old game, where one guy plays and loses a little, and then his buddy fishes you in a game only for more money (to try to bust you).

The first guy is the 'bait', the second guy is the 'hook'. You can bet the friend (2nd guy) plays a lot better than the 1st one.

JB Cases
09-20-2010, 09:40 PM
One pocket races to 3 for $25 and getting weight? And then attitude on top of it? Pool is really getting depressing. I mean I have played cheap one hole before but $5 a game?

If you stipulated last set then that's that, offering to flip it for the $25 is a good move, it's a 50/50 shot at getting the money back.

No harm in them trying to get you to play more that's what I do when I am stuck. But they shouldn't give you attitude about it.

If you're stuck $25 and you can't afford to laugh about it and blow it off then you have bigger issues. I'd have to tried to make a "friend" out of you at that point and chalk it up to trying to get you down for a bigger game later or have you steer me to one.

You weren't in the wrong at all.

notnilc20
09-20-2010, 10:22 PM
Sounds like the old bait and switch...:grin-square:You did the right thing.

8pack
09-20-2010, 10:25 PM
Last friday night I stopped at the local pool hall to hit some with a friend for a little while he and I are playing one pocket when a very strong player from here in nc comes in (I'm not gonna name him), never seen him in there before. He sees us shooting and proceeds to ask me if I will play him some, long story short he asks a bunch of times even offering weight from the get go. After about a half hour my friend and I are done the player is pushing it again so I say ok I'll play a few games just to learn something. We're only playing for 10$ a game he wins the first two, I win the second 2 and he offers one last go race to 3 for 25 so I say ok 1 last one. Well I win 3-2 and this friend of his that had come in with him apparently comes up to pay me and he says come on me and you play some. At this point I had already started unscrewing my cue because I had told him this was the last one and I was heading home. The one I played tries to get me to play the other guy saying I have to give him a chance to get his money back, to which I reply I wasn'y playing him I was playing you. Now I think what I did wasn't out of the way but the player seemed to be upset that I wouldn't play his friend. I even offered him to flip for the 25$ for a chance to get his money back but he declined. Was I in the wrong?

Wrong or right i beat you and you sick a friend on me at a chance to get your money back, where playing .They get even you quit you win who knows.

Mr. Wiggles
10-15-2010, 02:19 PM
Your in the right. They just wanted to hustle you. You never have an obligtion to let someone win their money back. If everyone did that everyone would always be even!! And above all never,ever,ever let anyone double up. If they lose $10 a game make them win it back the same way. Your ahead, stay ahead.