PDA

View Full Version : when do you know you're in a bad game

Gmanpoke
09-20-2010, 08:02 PM
Can you tell you're in a bad game after the first set?

This last weekend I was playing an old hustler named Driller. We were playing on a tight triple shimmed GC. Anyway, I guy I have never seen before started watching us. Apparently, Driller and him were old friends. After Driller and I quit, this stranger wanted to play. In the middle of the set in walks James Walden. James starts talking to the stranger during our match like they were old buds. In fact, James wanted to play the stranger one pocket and bet pretty high.

So, do you quit after the first set? Was Driller (the old hustler) in on this? Was James (another old hustler) in on this? Am I just too worried about someone making a move on me?

Steven

RiverCity
09-20-2010, 08:29 PM
You werent being hustled. You were just around faster company than you are used to.
Depending on how your finances are, keep the bet small and play guys like that some. You can learn a lot if you know what you are looking at.
Chuck

HollyWood
09-20-2010, 08:47 PM
Do you have what it takes to play under pressure ?? you'll never know till ya try. Then go back to Practicing- if ya loose ? We have a younger guy around here - who placed in 2 Pro tournaments 12th at Seminole -Somewhere at NYC . But won a 1st and a 2nd bca,vnea Nationals singles. He believes in His brothers cues- Steve Morris Custom Cues. I saw the latest stainless steel Jointed cue in Production- Custom pred. shafts I started a Post about James look it up. az Forums Mark

TATE
09-20-2010, 09:01 PM

This last weekend I was playing an old hustler named Driller. We were playing on a tight triple shimmed GC. Anyway, I guy I have never seen before started watching us. Apparently, Driller and him were old friends. After Driller and I quit, this stranger wanted to play. In the middle of the set in walks James Walden. James starts talking to the stranger during our match like they were old buds. In fact, James wanted to play the stranger one pocket and bet pretty high.

So, do you quit after the first set? Was Driller (the old hustler) in on this? Was James (another old hustler) in on this? Am I just too worried about someone making a move on me?

Steven

The first clue you were in a bad game was his nickname, "Driller".

However he got it, at a pool room, with the mob, or at a gay bar, it's not going to turn out real well for ya.

Chirs

Snapshot9
09-20-2010, 09:11 PM

However he got it, at a pool room, with the mob, or at a gay bar, it's not going to turn out real well for ya.

Chirs

Now that was funny!!! :grin-square:

How do you know you're in a bad game? When your opponent is 1-stroking and making every ball on the table.

James Waldon is a straight up guy, he doesn't game anyone.

and last, don't play a stranger until you at least watch him play someone else first, and don't be noticed doing it. If he knows you are watching him, he might shoot down to sucker you to a game. And if you are watching him, make sure he is not playing a friend of his.

Ratta
09-20-2010, 11:13 PM
If you re entering a pool-hall-and a stranger s asking your for action....usualy you ALWAYS have to think, that the guy perhaps sharks you. And anyway-if you already think about, that you perhaps get sharked, gamed or whatever....it was already wrong to start a set for 5 bucks my friend,

lg
Ingo

Johnnyt
09-20-2010, 11:30 PM
Now that was funny!!! :grin-square:

How do you know you're in a bad game? When your opponent is 1-stroking and making every ball on the table.

James Waldon is a straight up guy, he doesn't game anyone.

and last, don't play a stranger until you at least watch him play someone else first, and don't be noticed doing it. If he knows you are watching him, he might shoot down to sucker you to a game. And if you are watching him, make sure he is not playing a friend of his.

I agree with all the above. Very good advice if your not at least a shortstop. Johnnyt

Gerry
09-21-2010, 04:39 AM
Screw it!.......step up and play ANYONE for as cheap as you can! Forget who is working an angle, or if you are getting moved on, and never ask for weight......just get in the ring, play your best, and keep your eyes open so you learn something. Theres pretty much only 2 things that can happen........right? :)

This was my strategy when I was coming up, and I got up to speed pretty fast.....not to mention when you are willing to match up, the guys you are playing will help you out when they realize you are trying to learn.

G.

poolplayer2093
09-21-2010, 04:47 AM

Steven

a guy i know was getting the 5/7 playing 9 ball on a pool table with 4inch pockets (for $500). the guy he's playing at one opens up and hits him with a 5 pack. he lost 15-3

a few weeks later i make a comment about it and he says "i bet he wont give me that spot again!!!!".lol!!!!! some guys never realize they they're in a bad game

KoolKat9Lives
09-21-2010, 05:42 AM
Screw it!.......step up and play ANYONE for as cheap as you can! Forget who is working an angle, or if you are getting moved on, and never ask for weight......just get in the ring, play your best, and keep your eyes open so you learn something. Theres pretty much only 2 things that can happen........right? :)

This was my strategy when I was coming up, and I got up to speed pretty fast.....not to mention when you are willing to match up, the guys you are playing will help you out when they realize you are trying to learn.

G.

Good post Gerry. It depends on your personality and your goals to an extent. I take it the stranger won the 1st set or else you wouldn't think of pulling up so quickly... But you left out key elements in your Dear Abby Op - like were you playing cheap or betting for decent dough? Was the guy stroking like SVB?

If you're playing and feeling good, go to the bathroom like J Gleason and freshen up. Recite PHJunkie Christopher Walken's pep talk about the lion in the jungle. Keep playing the stranger play for an amount that's not going to hurt too bad. Get some weight if it's appropriate. If you beat the guy and later find out his middle name was Zeus, then maybe you'll acquire a new nickname - like Driller Killer.

If you lose to Zeus, then big deal, he's Zeus afterall. Evaluate your play for the match and learn from it. You'll get better faster as a result.

Your game won't improve much if your best dance is the crawfish shuffle.

supergreenman
09-21-2010, 09:23 AM
I think the only bad game is the one you've already convinced yourself you can't win.

ridinda9
09-21-2010, 09:39 AM
You werent being hustled. You were just around faster company than you are used to.
Depending on how your finances are, keep the bet small and play guys like that some. You can learn a lot if you know what you are looking at.
Chuck

No , you won't - cuz if they're real hustlers , their game will stay small while the bet stays small . You gotta pay to see the magic !

ridinda9
09-21-2010, 09:40 AM

Chirs

You might be OK if you're near an oilfield . . . .
or if he's a dentist . . .

cycopath
09-21-2010, 10:02 AM
I'm always leary of a guy that's sat there watching me hit balls for a half hour, suddenly walks up wanting to play. I feel like he is licking his chops after watching me dog off a bunch of balls. I just decline. I guess I ain't got no heart. I sure as poop don't have the money to give away to a guy that knows he has the nuts coming into the match.

Gmanpoke
09-21-2010, 11:00 AM

Chirs

The way I understand it, Buddy Hall gave him the nickname Driller. Driller was the Ref for the Jean Balukas and Robin Bell match in 1988 at Ceasers Palace.

Gmanpoke
09-21-2010, 11:19 AM
Chuck

You maybe right. But, I play with James Walden, Joey Gray, and Chip Compton. I understand I'm not at their level and thats ok. I donate to these guys.

It just seemed strange that I have never seen this guy but both Driller and James new him and he wanted to play me. Also strange was James has not been around for several months. Then all the sudden James shows up just as some stranger, that James knows, wants to play me? Really?

Maybe I'm just being paranoid. But, I'd rather be wrong and keep my money. I understand most replies regarding playing stronger players for the cash. But, my original question was not about player better players for the cash. The question is more specific: how do you know when you're in a bad game. In other words, when negotiating the match you thought you had the best of it or at least a chance. When do you realize you were out negotiated?

Steven

ric23
09-21-2010, 12:07 PM

Chirs

ffffkn chris!!! that was a good one! rep to you if i could!!!

h2o4170
09-21-2010, 12:18 PM
Its amazing nowdays IMO how everyone has to see you play or get a line on you before playing.If you play good and a stranger shows up why not get up and try him some.Bet what ur comft. with and play. If youve watched him and think you can win its not gambling.When i was a kid I went on the road with Bucky Bell and was amazed at how all trough the south every room we went in guys would just jump up and play,real show of heart and gamble.

Cory in DC
09-21-2010, 12:23 PM

Chirs
Reminds me of the time in Chicago when me and a few friends were playing a guy at a bar and getting beat pretty bad. My friend Pete was playing him when another friend, the owner, came up and asked, "What's Pete doing playing The Grinder?" With a nickname like that, you know you're in trouble. And we were.

Same thing happened another time at the same place, only that time it was WaterDog.

Long story short: Chicago has, or at least had, some pretty colorful nicknames and you should determine whether someone has one before playing, and exercise caution accordingly.

Cory

Koop
09-21-2010, 12:32 PM
When, even while you're emptying your wallet, you still feel like you have the better of it.

Gerry
09-21-2010, 12:44 PM
When, even while you're emptying your wallet, you still feel like you have the better of it.

Or when you are hitting your top gear and still not getting there.....:)

cleary
09-21-2010, 01:33 PM
If they run more than 3 ball in a row, I'm in a bad game. Time to adjust!

OUSooner
09-21-2010, 01:57 PM
Driller has roamed the earth since the dinosaurs. He doesn't play so good anymore but its still a rite of passage to beat him. Especially on 13. Walden barks at everyone so I wouldn't worry about that. Who was the other guy? Not a lot of folks that play good one hole around Chester's so its a pretty narrow field.

Did you lose to the Drill? If so they may have smelled blood in the water. There are a bunch of guys that hang out there just waiting to see if someone will bet.

RiverCity
09-21-2010, 02:06 PM
You maybe right. But, I play with James Walden, Joey Gray, and Chip Compton. I understand I'm not at their level and thats ok. I donate to these guys.

It just seemed strange that I have never seen this guy but both Driller and James new him and he wanted to play me. Also strange was James has not been around for several months. Then all the sudden James shows up just as some stranger, that James knows, wants to play me? Really?

Maybe I'm just being paranoid. But, I'd rather be wrong and keep my money. I understand most replies regarding playing stronger players for the cash. But, my original question was not about player better players for the cash. The question is more specific: how do you know when you're in a bad game. In other words, when negotiating the match you thought you had the best of it or at least a chance. When do you realize you were out negotiated?

Steven

To know if you are in a bad game like is the spot good or bad, requires you have to be able to accurately clock your opponent, then compare that with an honest assessment of your game. If you cant do that BEFORE the set starts, watching the set score is too late.
Chuck

Gmanpoke
09-21-2010, 05:15 PM
Driller has roamed the earth since the dinosaurs. He doesn't play so good anymore but its still a rite of passage to beat him. Especially on 13. Walden barks at everyone so I wouldn't worry about that. Who was the other guy? Not a lot of folks that play good one hole around Chester's so its a pretty narrow field.

Did you lose to the Drill? If so they may have smelled blood in the water. There are a bunch of guys that hang out there just waiting to see if someone will bet.

Do I know you Sooner? What's your name? (send me a PM if you don't want to post it here)

I'm in Chester's pretty much every weekend. It hard for me to get out during the week.

I had never seen the stranger before and like I said I'm at Chester's just about every weekend.

Driller may not play like he did 25 years ago but he's still better than me. I don't know what an even game would be but I would need some weight.

We were not playing one pocket. Walden asked the stranger to play one pocket. We were playing 9 ball on table 13.

Steven

DrewWhitehead
09-21-2010, 06:12 PM
not to distract from the point of the thread but thats a pretty quick crowd you were standing in. I play with driller almost every sunday for a while. I too am a chesters weekender. What did the stranger look like and I might be able to tell you who he was?

Gmanpoke
09-21-2010, 06:27 PM
not to distract from the point of the thread but thats a pretty quick crowd you were standing in. I play with driller almost every sunday for a while. I too am a chesters weekender. What did the stranger look like and I might be able to tell you who he was?

Hi Drew. You still have that Richard Black? The stranger said his name was John and he just moved back to OKC from Reno. Said he had been living in Reno for about 15 years.

By the way Drew how do you play Driller?

DrewWhitehead
09-21-2010, 06:45 PM
yeah, the Black is still in the closet. You still have that CAM and McDaniel? I'd need a good chuck to play Drill, and I wouldn't play him on a 9 footer. I guessing I'd need like the last two or some games on the wire. He and I never really play cash, more for beers so it works out better for the two of us anyway.

poolplayer2093
09-21-2010, 07:26 PM
If you re entering a pool-hall-and a stranger s asking your for action....usualy you ALWAYS have to think, that the guy perhaps sharks you. And anyway-if you already think about, that you perhaps get sharked, gamed or whatever....it was already wrong to start a set for 5 bucks my friend,

lg
Ingo

it's wrong to start a set for 5 bucks? why's that?

doublej487
09-21-2010, 10:33 PM
Its amazing nowdays IMO how everyone has to see you play or get a line on you before playing.If you play good and a stranger shows up why not get up and try him some.Bet what ur comft. with and play. If youve watched him and think you can win its not gambling.When i was a kid I went on the road with Bucky Bell and was amazed at how all trough the south every room we went in guys would just jump up and play,real show of heart and gamble.

hahah i had the honor of playing bucky last week in columbus at the 8 ball sports bar in a weekly tournament .... and out of 100 people playing, i drew bucky in the 1st round

hilla_hilla
09-22-2010, 04:40 AM
If your wallet can afford it, play him cheap. Take it as a free lesson. Hopefully you learn something from it.

Gmanpoke
09-22-2010, 05:53 AM

I'm not communicating very well here, I guess. I did play the stranger. I had never seen him play before. In fact, I had never even seen him hold a cue. My question was not about whether I should play a stranger or a stronger player. Also, the question is not about what I should do when I think I'm in a bad game (quit or adjust). The question is also not about how much I should bet (what I'm comft with).

The question is: When or how do you know you're in a bad game?

Fatboy
09-22-2010, 09:28 AM

Steven

Simple, watch the guy your playing very carefully and ask yourself this "On my worst day do I play better than he just did?" If you do then you are in a good spot, if it takes your best day to play his speed your probably not in a good spot. You have to be honest with your self.

I have made alot of bad games to learn what I just told you.:o

Gmanpoke
09-22-2010, 10:47 AM
Simple, watch the guy your playing very carefully and ask yourself this "On my worst day do I play better than he just did?" If you do then you are in a good spot, if it takes your best day to play his speed your probably not in a good spot. You have to be honest with your self.

I have made alot of bad games to learn what I just told you.:o

Thanks for the input. I think this something I will have to work on. I have difficulty gauging someone's speed. Obviously I can tell when someone is a lot better than me or when I'm a lot better than the other person. But, what is the other person's true speed? Can I tell after one game? after one set? Does it take multiple sets? months?

h2o4170
09-22-2010, 11:46 AM
I'm not communicating very well here, I guess. I did play the stranger. I had never seen him play before. In fact, I had never even seen him hold a cue. My question was not about whether I should play a stranger or a stronger player. Also, the question is not about what I should do when I think I'm in a bad game (quit or adjust). The question is also not about how much I should bet (what I'm comft with).

The question is: When or how do you know you're in a bad game?

Yeah you are and sorry didnt mean to go off on a diff direction just got caught up in the moment. Now ther is a diffrence between a bad game and being hustled.
A bad game if your playin atleast close to as good as you can and your not gettin there.
Hustled,your playing your best and almost gettin there every set.

h2o4170
09-22-2010, 11:48 AM
hahah i had the honor of playing bucky last week in columbus at the 8 ball sports bar in a weekly tournament .... and out of 100 people playing, i drew bucky in the 1st round
I havent seen him in years and I know hes gettin up there in years but on a bar box you didnt exactly get a bye did ya!

Fatboy
09-22-2010, 12:08 PM
Thanks for the input. I think this something I will have to work on. I have difficulty gauging someone's speed. Obviously I can tell when someone is a lot better than me or when I'm a lot better than the other person. But, what is the other person's true speed? Can I tell after one game? after one set? Does it take multiple sets? months?

I would say 3 or 4 sessions, you might be flat one day, playing over your head another. Same for the other guy. Its playing on different days that matters to get a read, 10 sets on the same day wont give you a read b/c you might be playing great all day and he isnt or the other way. I'd say 5 different days over a 2 week period would give you a accurate read on the difference between your game and who your playing.

I'd like to hear Chris bartrums opinion on this.

Gmanpoke
09-22-2010, 12:13 PM
Yeah you are and sorry didnt mean to go off on a diff direction just got caught up in the moment. Now ther is a diffrence between a bad game and being hustled.
A bad game if your playin atleast close to as good as you can and your not gettin there.
Hustled,your playing your best and almost gettin there every set.

This is what I'm talking about. Thanks for the input.

So, again the senario: two old time hustlers (one who has not been around in a long time) and a stranger that both old hustlers know, wants to play you. A thin line between a bad game and being hustled based on your defination above.

How do you tell the difference?

I don't mind being in a bad game as long as its cheap. The bad game (based on your defination above) is pushing me to get better. But, I'm not sure getting hustled (based on your defination above) is good for me. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe there is no difference. Maybe either way my game is being pushed. Maybe I just don't like people who never match up with any serious players and set around waiting in the weeds (so to speak).

Steven

master9baller
09-22-2010, 12:22 PM
You are in a bad game when your opponent gets out from everywhere, kicks nearly every safe you play on the proper side of the ball and makes few if any unforced errors. If they do this effortlessly, you have a monster on your hands and will get burned. If you can't match their level of play it's always a bad game playing even.

I have no problem losing to a superior opponent. It's the sandbagging, sharking, slow paying and locksmithing that's the problem.

If you lost and know you didn't give this opponent your best game I would ask him to play again and try to beat him. Losing is bad for your ego and can have detrimental long term effects on your game. These guys never look as good when they are down in a set. Your perception of his game is what really matters here.

If you play your best and lose it shows heart. The experience of playing with heart and determination will carry you to victory in many battles. This is something that is earned. It's good to let people know that when you lose it only makes you stronger.

real bartram
09-22-2010, 12:22 PM
I would say 3 or 4 sessions, you might be flat one day, playing over your head another. Same for the other guy. Its playing on different days that matters to get a read, 10 sets on the same day wont give you a read b/c you might be playing great all day and he isnt or the other way. I'd say 5 different days over a 2 week period would give you a accurate read on the difference between your game and who your playing.

I'd like to hear Chris bartrums opinion on this.

fat boy think you are right on here.
if someone beats you 5 diff days thats enough
to say uncle.
bel me i take the 5 plays a lot before i say uncle.
if someone beats you once or twice to me
it doesent mean your in a bad game yet.

Fatboy
09-22-2010, 12:27 PM
to say uncle.

thanks Chris I appericate your opinion, I learned that from the school of hard knocks. Thats exactly what I thought.

h2o4170
09-22-2010, 12:44 PM
This is what I'm talking about. Thanks for the input.

So, again the senario: two old time hustlers (one who has not been around in a long time) and a stranger that both old hustlers know, wants to play you. A thin line between a bad game and being hustled based on your defination above.

How do you tell the difference?

I don't mind being in a bad game as long as its cheap. The bad game (based on your defination above) is pushing me to get better. But, I'm not sure getting hustled (based on your defination above) is good for me. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe there is no difference. Maybe either way my game is being pushed. Maybe I just don't like people who never match up with any serious players and set around waiting in the weeds (so to speak).

Steven

A bad game can be good if cheap because as you said it makes you play your best and might bring you up a notch.Being hustled every notch you move up the hustler moves up to.IMO bad for ur mental game.
I watch the guy kick,i pay attention to the effort he puts into his safes and when there are 3 or 4 balls left and you miss does he seem to get out more or make the balls and position better than he does early in the game. 9ball is a harder game to hide speed because you do have to get out.One pocket I can stall around make 1 here 1 there let u make a couple and win without showing much.Alot can be told by safes if hes playing basic safes and you make a few do they get tougher and tougher.Also watch what he misses soes he miss the same shot the same distance from the pocket everytime,he may be shooting at a point to miss where he thinks you can make a few but cant get out from.

Fatboy
09-22-2010, 05:25 PM
it's wrong to start a set for 5 bucks? why's that?

the problem with starting for $5 is you cant ever win anything, you sell your self out too cheap. I realize that not everyone has alot of $$$, but $5 wont cover the time.

Gmanpoke
09-22-2010, 06:06 PM
the problem with starting for $5 is you cant ever win anything, you sell your self out too cheap. I realize that not everyone has alot of $$$, but $5 wont cover the time.

I understand what you're saying but I think its really a matter of what an individual's motive is. Not everyone plays to make money. Take me for example. I don't ever have to gamble again. But the best players won't play unless there is money on the line. I want to get better and I believe I need to play better players. So, I gamble cheap with the better player and usually have the worst of it.

Steven

Joey V
09-22-2010, 07:57 PM
I would think 2 sessions would be enough. 3 or 4 sessions may end up being too costly. As far as gauging someone's speed how he or she handles the cue ball and presence at the table is always the best indication for me of how strong they play assuming they are not on the stall. Also don't forget about your gut instinct, that can go a long way in telling you if your in a bad game.

cuesmith
09-22-2010, 09:31 PM
This thread reminds me of something that happened in my poolroom back in the 80's. I was talking to Joey Spaeth (RIP, Joey) and a local shortstop came up and joined the conversation. He told us that he played a guy the previous night on a barbox. They played sets, race to 7 for $200 a set. He tells Joey, "The guy had me stuck 3 sets and I was pretty sure I was in a trap, but I went ahead and lost 2 more sets, just to make sure"! We couldn't help but to laugh at the guy, the way he told it.

TATE
09-22-2010, 09:39 PM
10 ) When a 10 year old walks up and asks if you "wanna play some, mister?" , and she's a girl.

9) When the House man says " I'm sorry, but if you're playing Driller we need to collect for your half of the table time in advance"

8) When your best friend says "do you realize who you're playing?"

7) When you Google your opponent's name, and 347 pages of information pop up.

6) when you start watching bronco bull riding on the big screen Instead of you opponent breaking and runnnig out.

5) When you look at the railbirds and they're looking back at you, pointing and snickering.

4) When your knuckles start bleeding from the friction of reaching into your pocket.

3) Because you need to change positions after sitting for so long.

2) Because your opponent looks a like Yoda, kicks like God himself, and says "me get rucky" a lot.

1) When Eddie Wheat is holding your stake!

Chris

GaryB
09-22-2010, 10:31 PM
When the guy who has been clocking you sidles up and asks "Do you want to play some cheap sets?"

master9baller
09-23-2010, 12:19 PM
10 ) When a 10 year old walks up and asks if you "wanna play some, mister?" , and she's a girl.

9) When the House man says " I'm sorry, but if you're playing Driller we need to collect for your half of the table time in advance"

8) When your best friend says "do you realize who you're playing?"

7) When you Google your opponent's name, and 347 pages of information pop up.

6) when you start watching bronco bull riding on the big screen Instead of you opponent breaking and runnnig out.

5) When you look at the railbirds and they're looking back at you, pointing and snickering.

4) When your knuckles start bleeding from the friction of reaching into your pocket.

3) Because you need to change positions after sitting for so long.

2) Because your opponent looks a like Yoda, kicks like God himself, and says "me get rucky" a lot.

1) When Eddie Wheat is holding your stake!

Chris

This is good stuff!

Black-Balled
09-23-2010, 01:29 PM
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=bad+game

jay helfert
09-23-2010, 02:45 PM

Steven

Steven, if you keep your hands in your pocket you don't have to worry. Most "suckers" get taken because of their own greed!

Gmanpoke
09-23-2010, 03:44 PM
Steven, if you keep your hands in your pocket you don't have to worry. Most "suckers" get taken because of their own greed!

Thanks Jay. I appreciate your input. And, you're right, I really didn't have any business playing a stranger.

I do want to say, I don't approach matches like this from a perspective of trying to make money. I'm trying to get better. I believe I have to play better player to achieve my goals. I would be perfectly happy playing these better players for free but they won't play that way.

Steven

JoeyA
09-23-2010, 10:51 PM
Thanks Jay. I appreciate your input. And, you're right, I really didn't have any business playing a stranger.

I do want to say, I don't approach matches like this from a perspective of trying to make money. I'm trying to get better. I believe I have to play better player to achieve my goals. I would be perfectly happy playing these better players for free but they won't play that way.

Steven

Steven,
I don't know your age and I guess it doesn't really matter unless you are really, really old or just in poor health. I get the impression that you are neither.

If you seldom win at gambling matches you are probably in a bad game most of the time.

It's great that you don't mind gambling with the better players. Neither do I but we both know we're going to get more than our share of being whipped on.

It definitely helps to play better players but to get better faster, you have to practice, take lessons, not just from gamblers but from people who play better than you do. I tell people to practice on the pool table by themselves, shooting the same shots over and over until you can make those shots in your sleep.

As to knowing whether you are in a bad game or not, sometimes it requires testing your opponent. If you threaten to quit them because you just can't beat them and their game then gets a little worse and you seem to be holding your own but still not winning, you are most likely in a bad game.

If you seem to lose the game more often than when your opponent simply runs out, you are also most likely in a bad game. Good gamblers have a way of allowing the lesser player to lose the games rather than for them to just run out and beat the players with their shooting.

If the other player is patronizing you with comments about when you make a good shot, he is probably trying to boost your morale to keep you playing. Gamblers if they have any really good will to share, share it best when they are winning. Maybe 10% of all of the gamblers in the world compliment you when you are winning , an occasional compliment when you are losing, just to keep your ego from deflating entirely.

For the most part, I think you can trust your instincts when you feel like you are in a bad game, unless your ego gets in the way of seeing the reality of what's actually happening. The old saying, "To thine own self, be true." is probably something that you really have to take to heart because if you can't be honest with yourself, you can't trust yourself to know if you're in a bad game.

Keep playing the good players (especially for cheap stakes as they will appreciate the action and will realize that you aren't actually trying to get their cheese) but in addition, get some pool lessons and practice, practice, practice.

Good luck.

h2o4170
09-24-2010, 01:03 AM

Cant hustle an honest man

hkwong
09-28-2010, 09:22 PM
to say uncle.

i completely agree. you beat someone 8 ahead once then play again and you only win 4 games playing 6 ahead theres no room for adjustment. especially if the other person think its a good move to change locations.

jay helfert
09-28-2010, 09:27 PM
I know I'm in a bad game when I keep reaching in my pocket! :grin: