PDA

View Full Version : Ronnie O'Sullivan calls his shot. 147 with a twist.

Cashman
09-21-2010, 10:42 AM
Thought some people may enjoy this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mN1ritRsj_w&feature=related

This past weekend O'Sullivan ran his 10th competition 147. After an easy miss by his opponent left a wide open table, Ronnie potted the first red and black. And then proceeded to ask the referee what the prize was for a maximum break.

After a minute of conversation, he's informed that there is no prize. He clears the table down to the black and turns and shakes his opponents hand.

After some encouragement from the referee and fans, he returns to the table to pot the last black in a very reckless manner.

Rc

Georgia Boy
09-21-2010, 10:45 AM
Typical Ronnie O'Sullivan, imagine how good he could be if his brain was actually wired correctly, what a dick.

TimKrazyMon
09-21-2010, 10:47 AM
No prize for a maximum?! Seriously?! That sucks. I thought every big snooker tournament had at least some amount set aside for maximums.

Georgia Boy
09-21-2010, 10:55 AM
I agree that sucks, but not because of the money, just that Ronnie continues to be an arse and treat the fans like that. They pay the guys wages, without fans there would be no sponsors and no money for Ronnie.

somms69
09-21-2010, 10:58 AM
I love watching that guy hit the balls. Thanks for the link.

todd

Underclocked
09-21-2010, 11:02 AM
The fans loved every minute of that performance.

bfdlad
09-21-2010, 11:05 AM
The guy has soooo much natural talent its amazing to watch him play. Georgiaboy, I understand what you are saying about him however I think he was making a point. He played position on the final black and so he knew he was going to finish but wanted to show the promoter that they should have something set aside for such a feat.

He may have been wrong as you say the fans pay his wages etc however, genius in my eyes.

Cashman
09-21-2010, 11:10 AM
No prize for a maximum?! Seriously?! That sucks. I thought every big snooker tournament had at least some amount set aside for maximums.

I'm not sure about every tournament, the World Championships still has a massive prize for a maximum. The smaller tourneys, maybe not so much.

I would tend to believe, that with the state of the pro snooker world today. Most events would just be happy to have enough sponsors to cover the prize fund and their expenses. A maximum bonus would just be gravy.

Rc

RunoutJJ
09-21-2010, 11:13 AM
Yeah Ronnie is a god when its comes to Snooker but he's shit at 8 ball and 9 ball. I loved wathcing Johhny Archer talk mad shit to him while he creamed him. Then again i think its bad for anybody to act like that. Johnny could have made everyone else in the world believe that "all Americas and fat stupid rednex" sterotype...

At any rate Ronnie was out of line and being an arrogant jerk!! http://bangingtunes.com/i/forum/smilies/tosser.gif

TimKrazyMon
09-21-2010, 11:17 AM
Yeah, I know the Worlds has the 247,000 pound pot for maximums. I was under the impression that the "smaller" events, like the Irish Open and such always had a 25,000 pound pot for maximums.

I recall Ronnie had a nice string of having maximums at Worlds he started calling it his "Bentley bonus". He wasn't happy sharing it a couple years ago with Ali Carter.

Georgia Boy
09-21-2010, 11:19 AM
Cashman you maybe right about maximum break prizes, as there is a lot less money to go around these days. I believe Ronnie is probably the most naturally gifted player the game has ever seen. My point though is that at some point you'd think he would grow up, but I guess not.

I remember a few years ago, when he got knocked out in the semi's of a tournament and thought he'd played badly. Maybe he had by his standards but not by anyone else's, the next tournament he proceeded to play most of it left handed:( Personally I'd like to be half as good right handed as he is left handed thats just amazing!

TimKrazyMon
09-21-2010, 11:19 AM
Yeah Ronnie is a god when its comes to Snooker but he's shit at 8 ball and 9 ball. I loved wathcing Johhny Archer talk mad shit to him while he creamed him. Then again i think its bad for anybody to act like that. Johnny could have made everyone else in the world believe that "all Americas and fat stupid rednex" sterotype...

At any rate Ronnie was out of line and being an arrogant jerk!! http://bangingtunes.com/i/forum/smilies/tosser.gif

True, Ronnie is not the god in 8-ball/9-ball as he is in snooker, but he isn't any slouch either. He had some Mosconi Cup appearances for Europe & beat jolly old Earl once or twice. Earl just loved that.

rhyno
09-21-2010, 11:23 AM
o'sullivan is probably along with efren the most talented cueist ever born.
the guy is unbelievable,ok he can go a bit crazy at times but his results speak for themselves.
if he took 9-ball/10-ball seriously he'd be one of the top players easily.it would probably take him 6 months to adapt and learn a few systems;).
there's no player who could move to snooker in that time scale and get anywhere near his level.

bfdlad
09-21-2010, 11:25 AM
True, Ronnie is not the god in 8-ball/9-ball as he is in snooker, but he isn't any slouch either. He had some Mosconi Cup appearances for Europe & beat jolly old Earl once or twice. Earl just loved that.
Earl has nothing but good things to sday about Ronnie, they get along great and maybe admire each other for what they can do in their own sport also they are both a little crazy so that might be too :)

RichGambler
09-21-2010, 11:56 AM

Link Please

the420trooper
09-21-2010, 12:16 PM

That's all that really needs to be said, with the exception that I think Efren is "only" a very gifted player. O'Sullivan is a true genius. If Ronnie had cut his teeth on pool instead of snooker, we would never hear from Efren anymore...he would have quit the game in frustration long ago.

Ronnie is like Mozart, Beethoven, Bob the Builder, and anyone else who has ever been head and shoulders above the best in their respective professions.

Also, I think he deserves a little cheddar for making a max break...How many people in the world are capable of doing that even ONCE in their lives? Ronnie knew he could do it with 20 balls still left on the table. Anyone who can do that should get paid for it.

DRW
09-21-2010, 12:20 PM
Thought some people may enjoy this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mN1ritRsj_w&feature=related

This past weekend O'Sullivan ran his 10th competition 147. After an easy miss by his opponent left a wide open table, Ronnie potted the first red and black. And then proceeded to ask the referee what the prize was for a maximum break.

After a minute of conversation, he's informed that there is no prize. He clears the table down to the black and turns and shakes his opponents hand.

After some encouragement from the referee and fans, he returns to the table to pot the last black in a very reckless manner.

Rc

Makes those little pockets look like buckets.:D

dedstroke38
09-21-2010, 01:34 PM
the guy is unbelievable,ok he can go a bit crazy at times but his results speak for themselves.
if he took 9-ball/10-ball seriously he'd be one of the top players easily.it would probably take him 6 months to adapt and learn a few systems;).
there's no player who could move to snooker in that time scale and get anywhere near his level.

I completely agree. IMO he IS the most physically talented cueist in the world bar none. No one has anywhere near the fire power and pure shot making ability as Ronnie. Like others mentioned, if his head was screwed on straight he could dominant anything he would like. It just seems like geniuses always have a screw loose.

dedstroke38
09-21-2010, 01:41 PM
I agree that sucks, but not because of the money, just that Ronnie continues to be an arse and treat the fans like that. They pay the guys wages, without fans there would be no sponsors and no money for Ronnie.

I consider myself a fan and I absolutely love Ronnie. Though Ronnie frequently is up to crazy antics I think 95% of the time he does it without offending the players or the fans.

mbvl
09-21-2010, 02:34 PM
I consider myself a fan and I absolutely love Ronnie. Though Ronnie frequently is up to crazy antics I think 95% of the time he does it without offending the players or the fans.

I agree. If he had refused to pot the final black, I don't think his fans would have felt cheated, it would just have added to his legendary status.

Mark

supergreenman
09-21-2010, 03:23 PM
is it just me or does Ronnie look a little like Mr. Bean? He's such a natural player and has a great table side manner regardless of how unconventional it is.

RichGambler
09-21-2010, 03:49 PM
The man is just too good. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1s9oC5ebFs)

Scaramouche
09-21-2010, 08:37 PM
There was a prize for the highest break in the tournament, but nothing specifically for a 147 because the cost of insurance is excessive.

There have been 70+ 147s in competition. Stephen Hendry has 9. Now Ronnie has 10.

http://prosnookerblog.com/147s/

acura9418
09-21-2010, 11:58 PM
just love watching ronnie play

conetip
09-22-2010, 12:37 AM
To me, the question was a clever guise to get a drink, a break and a really good look at the table and form a plan.
Looking at the crowd,they all thought they got value for money.
I bet the next tourney he attends, will have alot more people wanting to go and see him.
It was a great to see.Thanks for posting the video link.

ThePoliteSniper
09-22-2010, 03:01 AM
He did it for the lulz.

Slh
09-22-2010, 04:19 AM
That's all that really needs to be said, with the exception that I think Efren is "only" a very gifted player. O'Sullivan is a true genius. If Ronnie had cut his teeth on pool instead of snooker, we would never hear from Efren anymore...he would have quit the game in frustration long ago.

Ronnie is like Mozart, Beethoven, Bob the Builder, and anyone else who has ever been head and shoulders above the best in their respective professions.

Also, I think he deserves a little cheddar for making a max break...How many people in the world are capable of doing that even ONCE in their lives? Ronnie knew he could do it with 20 balls still left on the table. Anyone who can do that should get paid for it.

I don't get it if you want to say if Ronnie would started to play pool instead snooker, Efren would't be one of the best ever, this is clearly bullshit. And you know that.

PoolBum
09-22-2010, 05:01 AM
O'Sullivan is a true genius. If Ronnie had cut his teeth on pool instead of snooker, we would never hear from Efren anymore...he would have quit the game in frustration long ago.

Yes, just like all the other snooker players have.

Don't bogart that joint, my friend.

shanesinnott
09-22-2010, 05:13 AM
Thanks for the link. He is without a doubt, the most talented player to ever pick up a cue.

mooseman
09-22-2010, 06:33 AM
Thanks for the link. I also watched his post match interview. I'm in mixed emotions. If you watch at the end of the match he didn't shake hands with his opponent and walked off to the post match interview. During the interview he didn't seem to care about the fans. Poor taste. Fun to watch though.

the420trooper
09-22-2010, 06:35 AM
I don't get it if you want to say if Ronnie would started to play pool instead snooker, Efren would't be one of the best ever, this is clearly bullshit. And you know that.

I thought the "Bob the Builder" reference was enough of an indicator that my post wasn't entirely serious...guess not.

While we're on the subject though....Have you ever played snooker? It's hard. It's much harder than pool. To excel at snooker the way Ronnie has takes much more ability than similar excellence at pool.

Have you ever seen Efren walk to the table with an open shot and say, "I'm going to run 8 racks from here"? That's comparable to what O'Sullivan did.

bud green
09-22-2010, 07:01 AM
www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrfLch52g4Y

www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgxWd0djt5I

www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEZxTyByg8k

First video is Ronnie with a shaved head switching hands to shoot and run over 100. Crazy.

Next two videos have some of the most confident, absolutely ridiculous shooting you will ever see in your life. Two stroking back cuts and table length shots on a 12 footer...

Seeing how the reds were already spread real, real well on the latest 147, I don't agree its the same as an eight pack. If the reds were intact and he asked before he even spread him, I might agree.

MOJOE
09-22-2010, 07:03 AM
If you watch at the end of the match he didn't shake hands with his opponent and walked off to the post match interview.

I think it's sick how he switched from left to right handed without missing a beat. You would not even know if you had not paid attention.. Any Moose, he did shake his opponents hand at 8:26 before he shot the final black in FYI.. He's quite amazing, full of himself but still an amazing player IMHO..

mikeyfrost
09-22-2010, 07:11 AM
I'm not a snooker fan at all however I will say that was pretty sicko. Especially pulling shape on the final two reds and that beautiful back cut in the side pocket.

I like his style though, very fast and furious. I think I will watch it again. I think he's right handed but I really can't tell.

Slh
09-22-2010, 07:16 AM
I thought the "Bob the Builder" reference was enough of an indicator that my post wasn't entirely serious...guess not.

While we're on the subject though....Have you ever played snooker? It's hard. It's much harder than pool. To excel at snooker the way Ronnie has takes much more ability than similar excellence at pool.

Have you ever seen Efren walk to the table with an open shot and say, "I'm going to run 8 racks from here"? That's comparable to what O'Sullivan did.

english is not my primary language....
i played snooker lots of time and in some riley snooker table in London.. i'm not saying it is easy or Ronnie O' sullivan is not talented, actually is one of the most gifted player ever. But snooker is a total different game than pool and you cannot say what is harder. For example you know russian pyramid its a game played on a 12x6 ft table with huge balls and pockets only 2-3 mm larger than a ball. This should make snooker like a playschool game... Also my high run in snooker is something around 50, i know is not that great, but its true i can play it a little.. Do you think i should run lots of ball in pool but this is not true. Actually when you are confortable with the game of snooker it is easier than it looks, the position play comes down to stun shot, follow, draw in a small margin of table.

I like his style though, very fast and furious. I think I will watch it again. I think he's right handed but I really can't tell.

He is right handed but right hand or left hand for him is not that different.

metallicane
09-22-2010, 07:20 AM
Wow, great shooting.

sfleinen
09-22-2010, 08:38 AM
In the pool world, we tend to get excited when we see the level of player that can use the points of the pockets to force the cue ball or an object ball into an otherwise impossible direction at the angle it's contacting the cushion. There's a famous Efren 1-pocket match on video where he does precisely this:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2_yuUgEpEyg

However, with the snooker table's rounded pocket edges, snooker players have been doing precisely this for a good long while, too. Here's Ronnie using this exact technique twice in the same run (including double-pointing the corner pocket to absorb the cue ball's energy to keep it down table for the final black):

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hrKxSso5Z0M

The man is simply brilliant.

-Sean <-- whose two favorite cue artists are Efren and Ronnie

Georgia Boy
09-22-2010, 09:49 AM
Just to stir things up a bit, I would say Jimmy White at his best was as good or better a cueist and shot maker. Not saying his results reflect that but he had both Stephen Hendry and Steve Davis at their best to contend with and I don't think there's much doubt those two are the best there has ever been. Jimmy should have won the 1991 World without even breaking sweat when he lost to John Parrot.

The guy was a genius and could make the cue ball do things every other player who has ever played the game can only dream about.

Philthepockets
09-22-2010, 10:23 AM
White lacked Ronnie's precision CB control/consistency which always gives Ronnie the edge in safety play and break building and most importantly he does not have Ronnie's "Bottle"

BelleBelle
09-22-2010, 10:30 AM
Ronnie is a great snooker player no doubt. You cannot compare pool to snooker. Have you ever seen Efren play one pocket? Or watched him throw all 15 balls in the center of the table and run them in rotation? That is genius also

Blackball75
09-22-2010, 12:15 PM
Just to stir things up a bit, I would say Jimmy White at his best was as good or better a cueist and shot maker.

The guy was a genius and could make the cue ball do things every other player who has ever played the game can only dream about.

Thanks for saving me the bother of typing this :)

RichGambler
09-22-2010, 02:04 PM
www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrfLch52g4Y

www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgxWd0djt5I

www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEZxTyByg8k

First video is Ronnie with a shaved head switching hands to shoot and run over 100. Crazy.

Next two videos have some of the most confident, absolutely ridiculous shooting you will ever see in your life. Two stroking back cuts and table length shots on a 12 footer...
Ok, I'm just discovering Ronnie and I have to say that this guy blows my mind. He makes it look so friggin easy. Amazing stuff. :bow-down::bow-down:

Scaramouche
09-22-2010, 05:55 PM
Neil Robertson, current World Champion, is quoted on the BBC Snooker page about Ronnie's 147

"To pot one red and a black, then ask the referee if there's a 147 prize is pure genius, no other player would have done that," said Robertson

"He knew there wasn't a prize, he was just setting it up. No-one is bigger than the sport but he does make it more attractive when he does something like that."

sfleinen
09-22-2010, 08:53 PM

Georgia Boy:

I get your point, and if Ronnie had done this OVERTLY, where the crowd can clearly hear him, I'd agree with you. But here's the difference: after King missed (badly), leaving a shot with the balls in such a perfect layout with no cluster-busting needed whatsoever, Ronnie QUIETLY asked the ref what the prize is for a maximum. NOBODY heard it, except the commentary desk, and the only reason that the commentary desk heard it, is that the ref was mic'ed. Even then, only *one* of the commentators heard Ronnie's question, and that was because the referee repeated the question with the answer, "Yes, I'll find out what max pays."

Do I think this is Ronnie "being a d*ck"? Heck no. He asked quietly, and not even his own voice was heard. It was only after the referee answered him (remember, he's the only person on the play floor that is mic'ed), that the commentary desk picked up on what was going on. The audience never heard a thing.

Ronnie was actually staging something special, and boy, did he deliver! When the audience finally finds out that he asked, "how much a max pays" when he only potted a red and a black thus far, I'll bet they went home with bewilderment that "not only did I just watch a special moment in history in person, but this guy can produce these special moments on demand?!?" I know *I* would think that after watching this!

Rather than blast the guy for being a d*ck, I give him props for being a showman for a sport (any cueing sport, to be precise) that needs it BADLY. Yes, snooker enjoys a far greater audience and spectatorship in other countries, than pool does here in our own country. I *wish* pool had this kind of spectatorship here. If we had the kind of character, natural talent, and "giving back to the sport" as Ronnie offers snooker (Earl Strickland comes close in the talent department, but drops off a cliff in the others), I think we wouldn't bemoan the woes that we do.

Every "arteest" has issues. Name any single front-standing talent that pops into your head (e.g. Johann Sebastian Bach, Evil Knievel, Neil Peart (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neil_Peart), Jimmy Hendrix, Jaco Pastorius (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaco_Pastorius), et al.), and I'll show you a very eccentric individual that offered a lot to his/her craft. Enough to change it, even.

-Sean

Cameron Smith
09-22-2010, 10:38 PM
There was a prize for the highest break in the tournament, but nothing specifically for a 147 because the cost of insurance is excessive.

There have been 70+ 147s in competition. Stephen Hendry has 9. Now Ronnie has 10.

http://prosnookerblog.com/147s/

Just to add to this, it's way too common anymore to justify the insurance. Though it's not happening every tournament, some years there seems to be a bunch (2008 had 7, 2007 had 6). When the 147 prize was started there would be no more than 1 a year if that at all. Better to use that money elsewhere. Maybe a 146 prize lol, they are actually more rare.

Jimmy White better than Ronnie in his prime? Hardly. Ronnie has won more against stronger competition. He has also competed with Stephen Hendry and John Higgins in each of their primes (and higgins is still there), two of the all time greats. Jimmy doesn't even have more centuries than Steve Davis, who is not nearly as aggressive a player. Ronnie is also on pace to overtake Stephen Hendry in the all time centuries scored in competition. He's 143 behind.

No 147 is easy, but not all snooker breaks are created equal. This one is almost as good a chance as you can get. A 147 equates to roughly 120-150 ball run in 14.1 depending on the layout of the balls.

If the balls are spread with nothing on the rails, all colours on the spots and no clusters a snooker century is roughly as difficult as a 60-70 ball run. Start clustering the balls together, put some on the rails and difficulty level can raise significantly. I've seen Ronnie run centuries from positions, I and many players would only hope to get 20 points and finish with a good safety.

A direct comparison between pool and snooker just isn't possible. Snooker players come to a pool table and seem to never miss. But then, so do professional pool players. Oliver Ortmann running 100 and out, 100 and out, 150 and out and 125 in successive matches is just as insane as anything Ronnie has done.

Philthepockets
09-22-2010, 10:49 PM
Just to add to this, it's way too common anymore to justify the insurance. Though it's not happening every tournament, some years there seems to be a bunch (2008 had 7, 2007 had 6). When the 147 prize was started there would be no more than 1 a year if that at all. Better to use that money elsewhere. Maybe a 146 prize lol, they are actually more rare.

Jimmy White better than Ronnie in his prime? Hardly. Ronnie has won more against stronger competition. He has also competed with Stephen Hendry and John Higgins in each of their primes (and higgins is still there), two of the all time greats. Jimmy doesn't even have more centuries than Steve Davis, who is not nearly as aggressive a player. Ronnie is also on pace to overtake Stephen Hendry in the all time centuries scored in competition. He's 143 behind.

No 147 is easy, but not all snooker breaks are created equal. This one is almost as good a chance as you can get. A 147 equates to roughly 120-150 ball run in 14.1 depending on the layout of the balls.

If the balls are spread with nothing on the rails, all colours on the spots and no clusters a snooker century is roughly as difficult as a 60-70 ball run. Start clustering the balls together, put some on the rails and difficulty level can raise significantly. I've seen Ronnie run centuries from positions, I and many players would only hope to get 20 points and finish with a good safety.

A direct comparison between pool and snooker just isn't possible. Snooker players come to a pool table and seem to never miss. But then, so do professional pool players. Oliver Ortmann running 100 and out, 100 and out, 150 and out and 125 in successive matches is just as insane as anything Ronnie has done.

While I agree direct comparisons are not realistic i strongly disagree that a 147 is = to 120-150, not even close imo. I have had centuries in both snooker and pool so I have some idea what it takes.

MasterClass
09-22-2010, 11:01 PM
While I agree direct comparisons are not realistic i strongly disagree that a 147 is = to 120-150, not even close imo. I have had centuries in both snooker and pool so I have some idea what it takes.

I definitely agree with you.

To make a 147 out from the start is extremely difficult. Especially so in a tournament.

If you ask efren to choose try making a century break in snooker or run a century in a straight pool in a couple of try i would fancy he would take the straight pool option.

BTW I know that efren also play snooker in his younger days and was a century breaker.

I think a 147 is more like a straight run out in the finals of a world championship where the fellow runs a straight 17 racks to win it. It would be an amazing feat! but it would also make the competition look a little silly.

Philthepockets
09-22-2010, 11:04 PM
Georgia Boy:

I get your point, and if Ronnie had done this OVERTLY, where the crowd can clearly hear him, I'd agree with you. But here's the difference: after King missed (badly), leaving a shot with the balls in such a perfect layout with no cluster-busting needed whatsoever, Ronnie QUIETLY asked the ref what the prize is for a maximum. NOBODY heard it, except the commentary desk, and the only reason that the commentary desk heard it, is that the ref was mic'ed. Even then, only *one* of the commentators heard Ronnie's question, and that was because the referee repeated the question with the answer, "Yes, I'll find out what max pays."

Do I think this is Ronnie "being a d*ck"? Heck no. He asked quietly, and not even his own voice was heard. It was only after the referee answered him (remember, he's the only person on the play floor that is mic'ed), that the commentary desk picked up on what was going on. The audience never heard a thing.

Ronnie was actually staging something special, and boy, did he deliver! When the audience finally finds out that he asked, "how much a max pays" when he only potted a red and a black thus far, I'll bet they went home with bewilderment that "not only did I just watch a special moment in history in person, but this guy can produce these special moments on demand?!?" I know *I* would think that after watching this!

Rather than blast the guy for being a d*ck, I give him props for being a showman for a sport (any cueing sport, to be precise) that needs it BADLY. Yes, snooker enjoys a far greater audience and spectatorship in other countries, than pool does here in our own country. I *wish* pool had this kind of spectatorship here. If we had the kind of character, natural talent, and "giving back to the sport" as Ronnie offers snooker (Earl Strickland comes close in the talent department, but drops off a cliff in the others), I think we wouldn't bemoan the woes that we do.

Every "arteest" has issues. Name any single front-standing talent that pops into your head (e.g. Johann Sebastian Bach, Evil Knievel, Neil Peart (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neil_Peart), Jimmy Hendrix, Jaco Pastorius (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaco_Pastorius), et al.), and I'll show you a very eccentric individual that offered a lot to his/her craft. Enough to change it, even.

-Sean

Excellent post sir!

Ronnie on form is scintillating, a master craftsman that does not have pressure in his vocabulary. Most players would crumble at making a max for a 1/4 million dollars, he dances through it with sublime genius, no one comes close.

MasterClass
09-22-2010, 11:16 PM
Thanks for the link. I also watched his post match interview. I'm in mixed emotions. If you watch at the end of the match he didn't shake hands with his opponent and walked off to the post match interview. During the interview he didn't seem to care about the fans. Poor taste. Fun to watch though.

He did shake his opponents hand! Right after he potted the pink.

In snooker they usually do so as a foul on the last black ends the game and you only win after the pink is potted.

The only near comparison of truly raw talent is Alex Higgins. Boy would i love to see them match up especially after Alex had a few shot of whiskey!

HOB Weert
09-23-2010, 02:47 AM
I invited him to my tournament once, i believe 2006.
Because he was announched, another 351 players entered the tournament.
He had to play the qualifiers to qualify for the final 64 on Sunday.

He came with no cue, and asked me for a cue.
I gave him my Predator Sneaky Pete, he played and won 4 qualifying matches.
Then in to the last 64 he won another 5 matches to reach the final including wins over 2 professional players (Fabio Petroni) eventually he lost the final to Mika Immonen 10-6.
To achieve that with a borrowed cue, you are good...

MH
HOB Weert

TheThaiger
09-23-2010, 03:04 AM
I invited him to my tournament once, i believe 2006.
Because he was announched, another 351 players entered the tournament.
He had to play the qualifiers to qualify for the final 64 on Sunday.

He came with no cue, and asked me for a cue.
I gave him my Predator Sneaky Pete, he played and won 4 qualifying matches.
Then in to the last 64 he won another 5 matches to reach the final including wins over 2 professional players (Fabio Petroni) eventually he lost the final to Mika Immonen 10-6.
To achieve that with a borrowed cue, you are good...

MH
HOB Weert

Didn't he win the World Championship with a cue he'd played with for about a week? I think he also changed his tip mid-match once without any change to the standard of his play.

He gave his cue to a kid in the crowd after winning one of his WCs - said he fancied a change. Incredible.

TheThaiger
09-23-2010, 03:06 AM

In snooker they usually do so as a foul on the last black ends the game and you only win after the pink is potted.

The only near comparison of truly raw talent is Alex Higgins. Boy would i love to see them match up especially after Alex had a few shot of whiskey!

Alex was a cult hero but wasn't anywhere near Ronnie's class, not even close. It's impossible to compare players from different eras, however.

JasonCrugar
09-23-2010, 03:12 AM

I agree with you on if he cut his teeth in pool. Guy can play snooker at the highest level either handed. Sick.

peter_gunn
09-23-2010, 03:36 AM
amazing :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrfLch52g4Y

MOJOE
09-23-2010, 07:36 AM
Sean speaks the truth here IMHO.. I could not agree more!

Georgia Boy:

-Sean

Cameron Smith
09-23-2010, 07:40 AM

What would you equate it to?

I've run centuries in both as well, but I've never had a 147. I've only ever had one total clearance in practice (139), but outside of that one I haven't felt that any of my other centuries were as tough as a 14.1 century.

Philthepockets
09-23-2010, 08:07 AM

I've run centuries in both as well, but I've never had a 147. I've only ever had one total clearance in practice (139), but outside of that one I haven't felt that any of my other centuries were as tough as a 14.1 century.

It's a tough comparison, it would be nice to be able to refer to the records and say well there have been 70 competitive maximums and 70 competitive 300 runs or something to that effect.
The real issue with the max is staying on the top side of the reds every time and the right angle off the black, just look at the shot Ronnie had to play to get on the last two reds all because he was a little bit off. It's all about cue ball control in the end, oh and a good spread of the reds doesn't hurt :)

sfleinen
09-23-2010, 08:09 AM

Cameron:

I would have to agree. I play snooker (my high run is also incidentally 139!) and I base all my mechanics/fundamentals on the snooker style. But I find breaking centuries in straight pool to be more difficult. The reason is simple -- creating a break ball situation from the remaining balls to continue the run. You don't have to do that in snooker, because unlike straight pool where each ball is worth only one point, snooker's colors are worth multiple points. As long as you break-build with the blue, pink, and black (which are all at the bottom-half of the table [blue being on the center spot, of course]), you can ring-up a century in a straight forward manner. When the break is over, and if there aren't enough points on the table for the opponent to counter (and beat) you with, the frame is over and the next frame begins anew with a brand-new rack of reds and positioned colors.

In straight pool, however, you *have* to plan going into the next rack -- that is the only way to get beyond the 14 points that the current rack buys you. You have to CAREFULLY plan your run around the final "triangle" -- the final three balls, which are the break ball, the key ball (to get position on the break ball), and the key-ball-to-the-key-ball (self-explanatory). This is much more difficult than the "pure snooker" zealots realize. In snooker, you're only worried about getting position on a high-scoring color after potting a red. While the champion players do plan the entire table (including cluster-busting), a good club player can quite literally limit his/her thinking to only two balls ahead ("after I pocket this red, I need to get position on the pink [or blue, or even black]") and still score a century, as long as the reds are spread out. You can't achieve high runs in 14.1 with that kind of thinking.

Interestingly, my highest break in snooker (139) is "higher" points-wise than my current high run in 14.1, which, for now, is 133. I did score a 122 this past June, and I'm working hard to enter the acclaimed "200 Club" as NY's esteemed 14.1 player Steve Lipsky likes to call it. I hope I can do that before the year is out. The only thing stopping me is that "distraction from pool" (i.e. the day job, which is actually a 24/7 thing).

Don't get me wrong, I *LOVE* to play snooker, and anytime I walk into a new pool hall or club, I first try to find a snooker table. (These are unfortunately rare in my area -- I have to make the trek into NYC to play on one.) Given a choice between a snooker table or a pool table, I'll grab the snooker table almost every time. But failing that (which is most of the time, unfortunately), I'll play 14.1. And I love the game!

Great replies in this thread -- an enjoyable read!
-Sean

Georgia Boy
09-23-2010, 10:52 AM
Sean speaks the truth here IMHO.. I could not agree more!

Sean
Your points of view expressed here are absolutely valid. He is a genius with a cue in his hand, I don't think anyone can deny that. But like many others he is flawed (not saying anyones perfect) and in some ways that is really sad to see.

But I have been at many tournaments where Ronnie was playing and I just don't understand some of the things he says or does. I was at the World's in Sheffield in I think it was 96 when he was charged with assaulting Mike Ganley, now Tournament Director of that Championship. I was also at Sheffield in 2002 when he appeared to blame losing to Stephen Hendry on some earlier tournament and a "miss" or "foul" call that he felt was Hendry's fault. In all fairness Hendry kicked his butt in the last session by playing much better snooker than Ronnie. I guess it may just be that I have seen so much of him and a lot of it not so positive as his great play that it's difficult to get past that. I know however I should and going forward I am going to judge him on what he's doing now.

Since moving here and been to a few Pool Tournaments I find the atmosphere completely different maybe that's what Ronnie needs? Anytime he wants to come over here and join the Tour he can stay at ours I'll even let him practice on my table, he's gotta get his own cue though :)

Philthepockets
09-23-2010, 11:01 AM
Ronnies view of the world and how he reacts to it may be very different from John Q citizen, he was brought up in a shall we say "unusual environment" that has shaped his character.

mooseman
09-23-2010, 11:14 AM

You are correct. My mistake. I can't believe I missed it. It looked like he left his opponent hanging at the end.......

Georgia Boy
09-23-2010, 11:14 AM
Unusual Environment is a very good way to describe it, with both parents away on business for a long time.

Philthepockets
09-23-2010, 11:31 AM
Unusual Environment is a very good way to describe it, with both parents away on business for a long time.

Well I could have said surrounded by gangsters, goons, sex shops, murderers and millions and never knowing who your real friends are but I didn't no I didn't :grin:

Lan
09-23-2010, 02:10 PM

150 and 125 in consecutive matches tells me that your estimate for a maximum is too low.

TimKrazyMon
09-23-2010, 02:24 PM
Not to diminish the talent necessary and the significance of shooting a 147, but isn't that just shooting 36 balls in rotation? How is that equal to a 150 & out in straight pool?

Philthepockets
09-23-2010, 02:51 PM
Not to diminish the talent necessary and the significance of shooting a 147, but isn't that just shooting 36 balls in rotation? How is that equal to a 150 & out in straight pool?

Again 14.1 is not a good analogy, for a 147 it's not so much about the number of balls but position is absolutely critical as is breaking out balls from the pack and the potting accuracy required. I could bust a rack of 14.1 and have 10 ducks and only have to worry about the last few positional shots.
There have not really been that many competitive maximums compared to the number of games played, there's a reason for that :)

Cameron Smith
09-23-2010, 06:06 PM
150 and 125 in consecutive matches tells me that your estimate for a maximum is too low.

The consecutive matches were 100,100,150 and 125, not just the two.

I think Philthepockets is actually right, 14.1 is not a good comparison at all.

onepocketron
09-23-2010, 10:18 PM
The guy is odd at times, but he can play!! He is an entertainer as well as a good player. I love watching him play snooker.

HollyWood
09-23-2010, 11:16 PM
been to England ,Paris,Amsterdam - Riley's Pool hall chains. They support snooker, soccer . Go into the Pub (the volume is very high and the Patrons cheer louder. He shoots with a 1 piece house cue with an ebonized Front. Look at the rounded ebony pt. brass ferrule. The 6 by 12 are well maintained at Riley's. Riley's has there own cues made- same as a John Paris that costs ton. JP - They use a Jack Plane to do the shafts not a lathe! I think Earl and Ronnie do smoke the same brand. The special of the day- thanks for the link-- mark

softshot
09-24-2010, 12:03 AM
you watch this and the only part of his body that moves ... is his middle finger.... accident or not...

everything is so still... except that one finger... shaking like a leaf

is there something to be learned there???...do we need an outlet for the nervous energy????... one that wont get in the way???

something to think about...........

conetip
09-24-2010, 12:17 AM
you watch this and the only part of his body that moves ... is his middle finger.... accident or not...

is there something to be learned there???...do we need an outlet for the nervous energy????... one that wont get in the way???

It really does look involuntary. Maybe more to though.

$TAKE HOR$E
09-24-2010, 01:13 AM
In case it hasnt been posted http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_fE-pvT084&feature=related pretty cool also.

MasterClass
09-24-2010, 02:11 AM
Holy!

That's Kirks Stevens!

He was an equally talented Snooker player! If i remembered correctly, the only player to have ever recorded a higher then maximum break of 155? Or was that something I dream about. Too bad there were no internet in those days.

An even bigger waste was that I remembered he died at a very young age from some drugs abuse or something like that.

In case it hasnt been posted http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_fE-pvT084&feature=related pretty cool also.

I meant the guy in white on the chair laughing. The shooter is non other then jimmy white back in the days where he still got hair!

Cashman
09-24-2010, 03:02 AM
Holy!

That's Kirks Stevens

An even bigger waste was that I remembered he died at a very young age from some drugs abuse or something like that.

Kirk Stevens is still very much alive. Although his career came to a shortened end largely due to a cocaine addiction.

Rc

TheThaiger
09-24-2010, 03:11 AM
Kirk Stevens is still very much alive. Although his career came to a shortened end largely due to a cocaine addiction.

Rc

Recently won the canadian amateurs, apparently.

TheThaiger
09-24-2010, 03:18 AM
been to England ,Paris,Amsterdam - Riley's Pool hall chains. They support snooker, soccer . Go into the Pub (the volume is very high and the Patrons cheer louder. He shoots with a 1 piece house cue with an ebonized Front. Look at the rounded ebony pt. brass ferrule. The 6 by 12 are well maintained at Riley's. Riley's has there own cues made- same as a John Paris that costs ton. JP - They use a Jack Plane to do the shafts not a lathe! I think Earl and Ronnie do smoke the same brand. The special of the day- thanks for the link-- mark

That doesn't sound like the Rileys I know. I'd be surprised if their cues cost more than $5 - in fact I know they don't - and they definitely don't come from John Parris! They've all but given up on maintenance and seem to do all they can to discourage the serious player.

Ronnie definitely doesn't shoot with a one piece house cue.

Georgia Boy
09-24-2010, 04:28 AM
The last time Rileys came out with a decent cue was probably shortly after the 2nd World War!

I am not sure Kirk ever made a 155, not in competition anyway. I always thought the maximum in a competition environment was by Wally West in Hounslow in the 1970's. Wally was an awesome player, I believe (as I remember) he was leading 1-0 at the time after having a century in the first frame when he made that 151. Jamie Burnett made a 149 a few years ago and that possibly still holds the record at the Pro Tournaments.

sfleinen
09-24-2010, 05:22 AM

softshot:

Mike Sigel does this as well, even with his index-overlapping-middle finger closed bridge, albeit Mike does this with his ring finger. There could be a couple reasons for this behavior:

1. Ronnie is "reminding" himself to keep the weight of the bridge hand on the outer perimeter of the bridge hand tripod (i.e. the index finger, and the ring/pinky combination). He could be "ensuring" that the tripod formed by his bridge is truly resting on its outermost "legs" (index + ring/pinky) to spread the weight out for maximum stability. I find myself doing this from time to time, and like you, I asked "why do I do that?" Then, when I caught myself doing it one day, I discovered that I was unconsciously "ensuring" the tripod was made up of its outermost legs (spreading the bridge's contact with the table out) to ensure stability. It's actually a great thing to add to your pre-shot routine.

2. Ronnie's middle finger is his "shot divining rod" -- as he's down on the shot and going through his practice strokes, making little adjustments, the middle finger waggles as sort of a "ding-ding-ding -- yeah, that's it, that's the line of aim!"

Ok, ok, I was kidding on that second one. :D

Hope this helps!
-Sean

shanesinnott
09-24-2010, 05:43 AM

I grew up watching guys like Steve Davis, Alex Higgins, Jimmy White etc on TV in Ireland. The middle finger moving as you described was quite prevelant amongst pro players I would watch on TV. When I started playing on a daily basis in the mid eighties I started to intentionally mimic those players by having the middle finger twitch on my left bridge hand (just to try and look like the top players did :) )

As the years went by, that middle finger twitch became automatic and I now do it without thinking about it and I have also noticed that I don't do it on every shot, but when I am really dialed in and focused on a tough shot, then that finger starts tapping and I make the shot.

A friend I used to play with often said that once he saw my middle finger move like that then he knew I would make the shot and if I started to do it on every shot then he knew he was beat :)

Not sure what it accomplishes other than being a subconsious reminder to me that I am giving 100% of myself to that particular shot.

Georgia Boy
09-24-2010, 06:07 AM
I grew up watching guys like Steve Davis, Alex Higgins, Jimmy White etc on TV in Ireland. The middle finger moving as you described was quite prevelant amongst pro players I would watch on TV. When I started playing on a daily basis in the mid eighties I started to intentionally mimic those players by having the middle finger twitch on my left bridge hand (just to try and look like the top players did :) )

As the years went by, that middle finger twitch became automatic and I now do it without thinking about it and I have also noticed that I don't do it on every shot, but when I am really dialed in and focused on a tough shot, then that finger starts tapping and I make the shot.

A friend I used to play with often said that once he saw my middle finger move like that then he knew I would make the shot and if I started to do it on every shot then he knew he was beat :)

Not sure what it accomplishes other than being a subconsious reminder to me that I am giving 100% of myself to that particular shot.

I too do that, but not all the time, it's generally when I'm thinking. Things like, is this the right shot, should I play something else, how hard, how much english etc. Hopefully therefore it doesn't happen too often in my case. But I'd agree with Shane it was really noticeable in the 80's and 90's when Davis, White, Higgins etc were around, many players did that.

Siz
09-24-2010, 09:56 AM
softshot:

Mike Sigel does this as well, even with his index-overlapping-middle finger closed bridge, albeit Mike does this with his ring finger. There could be a couple reasons for this behavior:

1. Ronnie is "reminding" himself to keep the weight of the bridge hand on the outer perimeter of the bridge hand tripod (i.e. the index finger, and the ring/pinky combination). He could be "ensuring" that the tripod formed by his bridge is truly resting on its outermost "legs" (index + ring/pinky) to spread the weight out for maximum stability. I find myself doing this from time to time, and like you, I asked "why do I do that?" Then, when I caught myself doing it one day, I discovered that I was unconsciously "ensuring" the tripod was made up of its outermost legs (spreading the bridge's contact with the table out) to ensure stability. It's actually a great thing to add to your pre-shot routine.

2. Ronnie's middle finger is his "shot divining rod" -- as he's down on the shot and going through his practice strokes, making little adjustments, the middle finger waggles as sort of a "ding-ding-ding -- yeah, that's it, that's the line of aim!"

Hope this helps!
-Sean

I also find myself doing this sometimes and it is not intentional.

It is just a result of the way snooker players form their bridge. The classic way they are taught is to spread the fingers of the bridge hand as wide as you can and then really grip the cloth with the finger tips. Then move the thumb in to make a V

If you try doing this (on any flat surface) you should find that the finger tips of 3 of the 4 fingers are tight against the bed: If you lift any of these 3 fingers up with your other hand, you will find that it is tense - it snaps back when released. But with the 4th finger is loose - it lifts up quite easily; and sometimes it lifts up off the bed of its own accord.

This combination of 3 tense fingers and one loose one often results in the characteristic bobbing. If you can find an old video of Tony Meo playing snooker you will see it in spades.

Scaramouche
09-24-2010, 10:34 AM
Recently won the canadian amateurs, apparently.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/26112009/58/kirk-stevens.html

Stevens worked his way through a succession of casual jobs: construction work, landscape gardening, lumberjacking and - what he portrays as the nadir - a role as a car salesman for two years from 1993. Broke and unemployed, he went back to playing snooker, albeit on the Canadian circuit, where he progressed from the amateur scene to become nnational champion three times in five years.

Georgia Boy
09-24-2010, 10:46 AM
Siz
OMG what a blast from the past that is Tony Meo! I remember, it must have been the early or mid 70's and I was so glad I missed Jimmy White in the draw. However I got paired against Tony and got my butt severly kicked like never before or since. Tony was a fantastic player but never really got the titles or even recognition he deserved IMO. But he came up in an era most of us will never forget, Steve Davis, Jimmy White and eventually the emergence of Stephen Hendry!

When I look back at those days and remember who played in tournaments like the Pontins Open's (when they amateurs) can you imagine that these days, I think not unfortunately. They all played, Davis, White, Meo and a host of others.

Siz
09-24-2010, 11:59 AM
Siz
OMG what a blast from the past that is Tony Meo! I remember, it must have been the early or mid 70's and I was so glad I missed Jimmy White in the draw. However I got paired against Tony and got my butt severly kicked like never before or since. Tony was a fantastic player but never really got the titles or even recognition he deserved IMO. But he came up in an era most of us will never forget, Steve Davis, Jimmy White and eventually the emergence of Stephen Hendry!

When I look back at those days and remember who played in tournaments like the Pontins Open's (when they amateurs) can you imagine that these days, I think not unfortunately. They all played, Davis, White, Meo and a host of others.

Yes, when White and Meo turned pro, I remember that most thought that Meo was the better player although Jimmy's play was more eye-catching. Certainly he had a more rounded game. But it just didn't work out for him.

Anyway, not wanting to hijack the thread :o , I agree with what others have said about Ronnie O, but I am not sure that he makes the game look easy.

Steve Davis in his prime made the game look easy. Ordinary club bangers could watch Davis and start to believe that they could do what he was doing. And that is a great testament to Davis's ability.

But there sure aren't many guys who can watch O'Sullivan and believe that they can do what he does. I don't think that he makes the game look easy. He just looks freakishly good.

It is a real shame that he can't get his head together though. I wonder whether it is because he always found the game so easy that he never learnt the mental discipline that other mere mortals have had to.

Or perhaps it is just because he rarely feels challenged in the sense of having to go into a match deep down feeling that he has to really concentrate and perform well to get through. (It is noticeable that when he has come up against players in the past he rates very highly, like John Higgins or Steven Hendry, he often starts the match at the very top of his game.)

I get the impression that he often starts off a match playing with a lack of focus - almost relying on something to happen that will spark him off. But if you start off not really concentrating it is notoriously difficult to get that focus back later. Even if you start losing and are under threat of going out of the tournament ("if you hustle, the balls never forgive you"). I suspect that this happens to O'Sullivan; and when it does he gets frustrated, not knowing what is really going on or what to do about it. :(

Philthepockets
09-24-2010, 12:47 PM
I've lost count of the number of times I have heard Ronnie say he lacks confidence, hard to believe with someone of his ability. Hendry has also said the same, even harder to believe of a seven times world champ and most successful player ever. Ahh the mind, sure is a complicated place :)

mr8ball
09-24-2010, 01:56 PM
I started to play snooker about a year ago and love it. He is just amazing to watch. To get shape on the last 2 reds was a great shot. He really is the best player in the world. JMO Thanks for sharing

TheThaiger
09-24-2010, 02:34 PM
I started to play snooker about a year ago and love it. He is just amazing to watch. To get shape on the last 2 reds was a great shot. He really is the best player in the world. JMO Thanks for sharing

Hmm, I'm not so sure about Ronnie any more. I'm reluctant to call busted flush, but his star is definitely on the wane. The pundits are still raving but there's been a shift in pecking order recently, with Robertson charging clear of the pack; Ding close behind.

The bottom line here is Ronnie misses easy balls. Plenty of them.

Philthepockets
09-24-2010, 04:50 PM
some insight
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/other_sports/snooker/9027943.stm

driven
09-24-2010, 04:57 PM
really good thread, great conversation. I wish I had something to add.
steven

smoooothstroke
09-24-2010, 05:52 PM
From the video it appears he may be a bit of a jerk.The interview after the match confirms it.

That was a great 147.Snooker at the highest level is amazing.

Scaramouche
09-24-2010, 07:59 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/other_sports/snooker/9027943.stm

BBC now has ads on the video that it will let the colonies view. Ads first, then Ronnie's comments

softshot
09-24-2010, 09:55 PM
softshot:

Hope this helps!
-Sean

my middle finger using an open bridge... curls up and under... I have the pressure you mention on all my other fingers...but my middle finger doesn't have a job... so it simply curls under.....

I played around with it today... and putting a deliberate twitch into my finger was felt the entire length of my forearm.. and was all around distracting and uncomfortable.... and I couldn't shoot for shit that way either....

it must be involuntary.. because doing it on purpose is a waste of time LOL;):thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

misterpoole
09-26-2010, 12:55 PM
Cant get enough of Ronnie's genius. That was like pointing to the outfield then hitting a home run where he pointed. Genius.

smashmouth
09-29-2010, 04:29 PM
Ronnie would embarass everyone on a pool table at any game within a few months if he took it seriously, not even close

make that carom too

guys like Appleton, Peach and Drago win majors, do the math...