PDA

View Full Version : Cue maintenance

9BallPaul
09-21-2010, 04:54 PM
What's your routine?

Mine: Once upon a time, I was a powder addict, hitting the powder dispenser at York Billiards every other shot. A disgustomg habit, much worse than all the smoking I was doing, and it turns out it's not necessary. Try this:

Leather wrap to burnish shaft. Microfiber cloth to rub in shaft wax, then polish off with the cloth and then the leather. My shaft becomes glass slick.

On the tip, I start with a tip buffer, then a tip pik, and finish wish chalk and soft sandpaper. Happens about once a week. I play (in my basement) about three-four hours a day, usually alone.

If it matters, I play like God.

JimS
09-21-2010, 05:18 PM
You got rid of the powder so now skip the wax. It's not necessary. Just burnish with the leather and it doesn't get sticky like the wax does.

The_Rookie
09-21-2010, 05:37 PM
I don't use chalk anymore either. I just burnish the shaft with a leather pad.
What's the deal with burnishing the tip? Sorry, just always wondered.

greyghost
09-21-2010, 05:38 PM
Well I use......not a dam thing really

I clean my shaft with a damp rap, then buff it hot with a dry one and its.....

slick like glass.....all my shafts are perfectly smooth and no nicks

As for the tip....I get it right on the lathe....and then i may touch it up possibly once every couple months....

don't need to play with my shafts and don't need to play with my tips.....once they are right they are right and i don't need to mess with it.

I think tip scuffing/picking/scratching/packing whatever you want to call it is just like a nervous tick........players get all worked up and can figure out whats wrong so instead of biting their fingernails they scuff/pick bla bla bla on their tip.

-Grey Ghost-

greyghost
09-21-2010, 05:39 PM
I don't use chalk anymore either. I just burnish the shaft with a leather pad.
What's the deal with burnishing the tip? Sorry, just always wondered.

burnishing the sides of the tip....helps it look better, and keeps the shoulder of the tip from mushrooming.....but if you have to burnish to keep it from mushrooming then your tip sucks imop....

either that or someone put a tip on with a 5ft shoulder so it could pack in and smash out like a fat girl in tight pants.

i hate muffins,
-Grey Ghost-

The_Rookie
09-21-2010, 05:51 PM
burnishing the sides of the tip....helps it look better, and keeps the shoulder of the tip from mushrooming.....but if you have to burnish to keep it from mushrooming then your tip sucks imop....

either that or someone put a tip on with a 5ft shoulder so it could pack in and smash out like a fat girl in tight pants.

i hate muffins,
-Grey Ghost-

It does look better. I haven't had a problem with "muffintops" though. Just thought there may be more to it other than appearance.

Thanks

Protocol
09-21-2010, 05:51 PM
Burnish my shaft with leather. Every time before I play I wash my hands and wipe my shaft down with a damp paper towel. Then before I put my cue away in the case i clean the chalk off my tip. This keeps my case and shafts clean.

TheBook
09-21-2010, 05:58 PM
Well I use......not a dam thing really

I clean my shaft with a damp rap, then buff it hot with a dry one and its.....

slick like glass.....all my shafts are perfectly smooth and no nicks

As for the tip....I get it right on the lathe....and then i may touch it up possibly once every couple months....

don't need to play with my shafts and don't need to play with my tips.....once they are right they are right and i don't need to mess with it.

I think tip scuffing/picking/scratching/packing whatever you want to call it is just like a nervous tick........players get all worked up and can figure out whats wrong so instead of biting their fingernails they scuff/pick bla bla bla on their t

-Grey Ghost-

I am the same. Don't see any reason to mess witan the tip after it is shaped by the installer. Always wipe the chalk off the tip before putting away and run a cloth over the shafts. Use to carry all kinds of stuff in my case now it is just the cues, cloths, eye drops, and chalk.

strokerace
09-21-2010, 06:35 PM
Been playing for years..no matter what you do there will

be a time when your shaft gets sticky..like when you

gamble for hours..ect..best thing i ever did was 2 months

ago i got a pool glove..will never go back to naked again..

my shaft stays clean and the stroke is consistant all the time..

my game has been spot on every since..SA