PDA

View Full Version : What is the best 8 ball advice you've ever gotten?

SpinDoctor
09-22-2010, 08:50 AM
As league season fires up yet again, it got me to thinking about some of the stuff I've learned over the years playing.

I think the best advice I've ever gotten was "If there is no reason to bump into balls, stay away from them." Seems like pretty simple advice but I can't count how many guys I've seen over the years crashing into stuff and turning an easy out into a nightmare.

What was the best advice you've ever gotten?

bfdlad
09-22-2010, 08:51 AM
Best advise I got was "Quit playing pool"

evanandpeaches
09-22-2010, 08:54 AM
The best advice I have received is to play straight pool. It will improve 8 ball the fastest you have to move the cue ball around a lot of balls, pick a pattern early, and break up clusters effectively.

ridinda9
09-22-2010, 08:54 AM
don't scratch

JamisonNeu
09-22-2010, 08:55 AM
Best advise I got was "Quit playing pool"

Some days you will hit them all a little left some days you hit them all a little right!

Spimp13
09-22-2010, 09:03 AM
Quit trying to run every rack or play smart (defense).

I have won many games due to this. I am sure I have lost some as well by not even close to the same amount that I have won.

stljohnny
09-22-2010, 09:13 AM
Quit trying to run every rack or play smart (defense).

I have won many games due to this. I am sure I have lost some as well by not even close to the same amount that I have won.

I was gonna say something similar... though I'm not a runout player anyway, the advice of "dont make any more balls than you have to in order to get to a good safety" has been the most beneficial to me. I was a 9-ball player when I started 8-ball league and I used to just make balls and keep trying breakouts, then when it didn't happen, i was in 1-ball-hell and lost the game. Now, if I have more than 1 cluster with no easy break-out balls, I make a ball if I have to in order to get a good position, or choose suit, to play the best safety. When it works, I come back with BIH and can *sometimes* get out from there, depending on how they're laying.

SpiderWebComm
09-22-2010, 09:21 AM
As league season fires up yet again, it got me to thinking about some of the stuff I've learned over the years playing.

I think the best advice I've ever gotten was "If there is no reason to bump into balls, stay away from them." Seems like pretty simple advice but I can't count how many guys I've seen over the years crashing into stuff and turning an easy out into a nightmare.

Not only play within your ability, but play WELL within your ability.
Dave

Fatboy
09-22-2010, 09:24 AM
dont play last pocket 8ball when your matching up and the other guy suggests it.

cbaumann212
09-22-2010, 09:25 AM
When it is your shot, run the rack in reverse, starting with the eight ball and then figuring out which balls make it easiest to make the eight ball and so on.

Move the ball as little as possible, and don't disrupt balls unless you must.

Most often, eight ball is played on a barbox, where you can make nearly any shot with semi-sound mechanics. Choose moving the ball less ans leaving yourself slightly harder shots, rather than trying to get perfect shape on easier shots.

And last, but not least, always leave yourself an angle to get shape on the next shot.

Georgia Boy
09-22-2010, 09:29 AM
All good advice and I would go along with all that. The advice I was given when I started playing 8 Ball, was pretty sound I think.

Don't force it and try to run out when a good safety will probably get you the same result with less problems.

Never worry about who you are playing, always play the handicap.

dabarbr
09-22-2010, 09:58 AM
When shooting at the eight, make absolutely sure of where the cue ball is going.

pool101
09-22-2010, 10:05 AM
Always find the key ball (the one used to get shape on the eight) and visualize the rack backwards to the starting point.

greyghost
09-22-2010, 10:14 AM

well I don't think thats too good of advice by itself....reason being is that if you don't bump into balls especially in BB 8 ball your not going to get to your clusters to be able to run out the game...

I mean i guess you could wait for your opponent to break up the crap.....

BUT my advice is to LEARN TO MOVE YOUR FURNITURE PROPERLY......

I play BB 8 ball like its straight pool or one pocket.....you have to use your angles to set up to clip into balls to break clusters apart nice and gently......then i run out.

8 ball is a furniture moving game just like straight pool and one hole.

I move the furniture so well PODS called me the other day and offered me a job.

i declined,
-Grey Ghost-

Redneck Jim
09-22-2010, 10:31 AM

Don't miss the EASY shots.

Scott Lee
09-22-2010, 10:31 AM
Frank...This may be the best advice of all. I've seen more players scratch on the 8, simply because they didn't give the CB a location.

Jack White gave me this advice, many years ago..."You wanna play safe? RUN OUT!" Tough to argue with that! :grin:

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

When shooting at the eight, make absolutely sure of where the cue ball is going.

asbani
09-22-2010, 10:41 AM
Best advice i've ever got and it had improved my 8ball game, "Don't travel with the cueball alot, try to move cueball as little as you possibly can, and never run into balls unless there is no pocket for that object ball"

Foolio
09-22-2010, 10:58 AM
Pattern play is essential.

If your oppenent has one or two balls left you're considered the favorite, I think. If u have all your balls on the table, don't think of them as problems that are holding you back, they are helping you. You have many ways to play safe and make them kick at clusters opening up your run out.

Also don't make balls in wildly if u can't run the entire rack out. Play smart and always look for safeties. Just my two pennies...

paksat
09-22-2010, 11:07 AM
I guess it depends on the situation.

First thing I look for when I come to an open rack is to see if I got a decent shot at either stripes or solids to get me started.

If I got a shot on both then I look at what's on the rails and what's clustered.

Then ( and here's the best advice i've learned ) I draw the pattern backwards.

Johnnyt
09-22-2010, 11:23 AM
A big % of 8-ball games are won before you shoot after yours good break or his empty break. Knowing which balls to take and maping the pattern out before taking that first shot will make you the winner more than not. Johnnyt

Buster8001
09-22-2010, 11:40 AM
well I don't think thats too good of advice by itself....reason being is that if you don't bump into balls especially in BB 8 ball your not going to get to your clusters to be able to run out the game...

I mean i guess you could wait for your opponent to break up the crap.....

BUT my advice is to LEARN TO MOVE YOUR FURNITURE PROPERLY......

I play BB 8 ball like its straight pool or one pocket.....you have to use your angles to set up to clip into balls to break clusters apart nice and gently......then i run out.

8 ball is a furniture moving game just like straight pool and one hole.

i declined,
-Grey Ghost-

Very good advice GG!

Oh and

i declined,
-Grey Ghost-

this is totally going to be my new sig line. I LMAO'd!

Josh

Buster8001
09-22-2010, 11:44 AM
As for best advice: Follow and stop/stun.

Josh

labatt ice rod
09-22-2010, 12:15 PM
simple just make game winning shots

Maniac
09-22-2010, 12:19 PM
Not only play within your ability, but play WELL within your ability.
Dave

Sh*t, I'm in trouble :D!!!

Maniac (no ability :embarrassed2:)

master9baller
09-22-2010, 12:45 PM
3 ideas:

Become expert at picking the right group to shot after your break or when the table is open. This alone dramatically infulences your winning percentage.

Don't shoot blocker balls that are stopping your oppoent until it makes send for you to do so.

Play safe to develop the table. Shoot OB's into clusters while playing safe. BIH with no clusters = $.

ironman
09-22-2010, 12:59 PM
Frank...This may be the best advice of all. I've seen more players scratch on the 8, simply because they didn't give the CB a location.

Jack White gave me this advice, many years ago..."You wanna play safe? RUN OUT!" Tough to argue with that! :grin:

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Probably the biggest reason most game are lost though.
Allen Hopkins said<"If you can't run out, Why try"!

ap_audio
09-22-2010, 01:36 PM
one of the most memorable moments was from Eric "One-Eye" Aspergan in western Kansas ... "kid, there's only 2 things you need to know to play good pool. make every f***ing ball you shoot at, and get shape every f***ing time you shoot." direct quote.

another one was, "if it's a bar table, don't let the cue ball run. you never know what is going to happen on a bar table. find the pattern that allows you to stop the cue ball as much as possible every shot."

Factor
09-22-2010, 01:46 PM
Play every defensive shot with a purpose. Use the safety to also position the balls to a more advantageous position to make the runout easier, when it is there.

Ponytail
09-22-2010, 01:57 PM
Advice for 8-ball? It's been addressed once or twice, but no one has come out and stated it as advice.

If you have clusters, don't blast into them. Rub them just a little. Keep it controlled. Moving clusters just a little will open up all sorts of lanes.

Next advice, don't play shape of the rubbed cluster ball if you can help it.

Lance Link
09-22-2010, 03:18 PM
Don't overthink the shot. You'll think yourself into screwing up.

And play the table. If you do, then your opponent's name is irrelevant.

Blue Hog ridr
09-22-2010, 03:29 PM
All great advice, I'm taking note of everything. After 15 yrs of playing, I had to learn most of what I know by myself. Only lately have I found someone that has taken an interest in my game and imparts some real good tips and I found my game has improved 10 fold in a short while. He himself learned the hard way so he knows what its like.

This last weekend, I played B side of a 9 Ball tourney. Double knockout for our side and I pretty much thought I'd be toast. I ended up tying for 5th place. My 3rd game in, my wife who was helping with the tourney noticed that I was socializing between shots. She came over and reprimanded me, she told me to STFU and focus on my game. Best advice I'd received all day as I closed that one out at 5 to1. As the day progressed, I found that if I could do the Jedi trick and be at one with the table, it helped 100%.

Tom In Cincy
09-22-2010, 03:31 PM
the best advice I got was;
If you are the first to claim a group, don't miss that first shot.

randyg
09-22-2010, 03:41 PM
Play the table, not your opponent....SPF=randyg

jgpool
09-22-2010, 04:06 PM
Don't touch anything unless necessary. If you do you will probably be making a plan as you go. Which is not a good thing in 8-ball. IMO

JE54
09-22-2010, 04:41 PM
All good info...........

Neil
09-22-2010, 04:43 PM

Blue Hog ridr
09-22-2010, 04:55 PM
Thanks Neil, I will.
Copied it down already.
Thanks,
Terry.

measureman
09-22-2010, 04:57 PM
Always find the key ball (the one used to get shape on the eight) and visualize the rack backwards to the starting point.

I'll go with this one.

Mike in MN
09-22-2010, 05:05 PM
"Miss less often."

Kidding. I was once told that which set of balls you choose after the break can be the deciding factor between winning and losing.

softshot
09-22-2010, 05:22 PM
Rule of thumb once you claim your group

shoot at your most difficult balls first even if it's playing safe..

shoot your easiest balls last

elvicash
09-22-2010, 05:31 PM
Do not be afraid to let your opponent get to the table. If you are not out tie something up/play safe and let him take a turn. Keep some balls on the table until you know you are out.

Plan Commit Execute Review -- Repeat

book collector
09-23-2010, 12:15 PM
Don't forget to put the stupid patch in front of the pocket.

Winston846
09-23-2010, 12:36 PM
I've read through this thread and a lot of good advice is given. The best I've ever received is...

-- Play 14.1. It will help your 8-ball game. Like 14.1, 8-ball is a pattern game.

-- Off the break, study the table for balls that have pockets to be made in, are/aren't tied up, etc. and determine the best possible out. If you break in 2 stripes and no solids, don't necessarily jump to take the stripes. The solids may be an easier out. EDIT: Unfortunately in APA, you would HAVE to take the stripes in this situation. This tip applies to where you have choice.

-- Don't always try for the out. It may not always be there. TAKE WHAT THE BALLS GIVE YOU. As others have already mentioned, leave enough balls that you can play an effective safety.

-- Play effective safeties. The idea of a safety is to gain the advantage. Don't play a safety that allows your opponent to come back with an even better one. Alternatively you can play a safety that blocks a pocket or ties up one or more of your opponents balls.

-- Don't shoot balls that obstruct the path of an opponents ball (until you have to). That may come back to haunt you.

-- And last but not least, make sure you pocket a ball on the break. I've lost my share of games breaking the balls wide open and not pocketing anything - giving my opponent an easy out.

These tips have really improved my 8-ball game.

uwate
09-23-2010, 02:33 PM
this advice came later on from a good player, well after I could break and run a rack:

Look for opportunities during your runout to selectively make your opponents balls much more difficult if possible. The exact example shown to me was a shot into the side where i could stop for my next shot or roll softly into my opponents ball and tie it up with another of his balls on the rail. I have found this to be good advice once you have gotten a decent control over how to go into balls and know where things are going.

ugotactionTX
09-23-2010, 02:47 PM
"if you can't run 8... DON'T run 7"

I heard this from someone one time (playing 8 ball) but it makes sense for all the games

Cuaba
09-23-2010, 03:03 PM
First thing I do is see where I will pocket the 8. Then I look for a ball that will give me a stop shot to be straight in on the 8. Then I find the easiest ball that will place me perfect for that stop shot.

If I have to break out a ball, I do it early. It is easier to make adjustments when there are more balls on the table.

One of the biggest mistakes is saving the breakout for last. You can never predict exactly where the last ball and the cueball will end up.

If you can't get out, look for a safety that breaks out your problem ball and/or hangs one of your balls in a pocket that blocks their run.

If the safety gives you ball in hand, even better.

GADawg
09-23-2010, 03:14 PM
have had lots of good advice over the years, but if I had to pick one thing that i remember the most:

If you a planning a runout, try to get to the end of the table away from the 8 ball early and work your way down the table to the key ball and 8 ball.

Not alway possible but if you can plan a pattern using this idea, it reduces cue ball movement, simplifies position play and reduces chances of unintended bumping of balls.

cuesmith
09-23-2010, 03:26 PM
Figure out what your problem balls are from the get-go and do not shoot balls that block your opponent unless you can get out or get rid of your problem situations by shooting them.

pulzcul
09-23-2010, 07:25 PM
Nice shot on the 8! You still gotta ball on the table.