PDA

View Full Version : Using the wrong eye as dominant..........

genomachino
09-22-2010, 01:20 PM
How does this happen?

I really don't know except that we can think that we shoot with the right eye because we are right handed and kind of force it like shooting with a gun.

We all can shift our heads over about an inch to the right or the left and make the non-dominant eye work as the dominant eye. It usually won't look very good unless you were one of these players that was using the wrong eye as dominant.

In my teachings I have only found a dozen or so players that were doing this. But what a difference this made for them.

This is just one reason when I teach a player Perfect Aim I show them how to make the non dominant eye work as the dominant eye. Usually it is to show the player where the eyes shouldn't be but in this particular case it just really clears it up for this player and now they can see the shot so much better.

Mike figured this out a month or 2 after he got the Perfect Aim lesson but this wouldn't have been possible at all without being shown how to make each eye dominant.

If you see this Mike maybe you can share some of your experience with our fellow AZers. This is kind of a unique thing that only effects very few players but for those that it does this is huge. it is everything when it comes to lining up the shot so you can see it the best.

Have a great day Geno.......

Mikjary
09-22-2010, 09:35 PM
This was an eye opener for me :wink:. Gene visited with me awhile ago and showed me how to get my eyes where they needed to be to see the shot. We figured out that I was using my left eye as my dominant eye which I had already known. He also showed me a few things that I will use from here on out. His teachings are full of good info and he's an excellent instructor.

I quit playing about 20 years ago and have recently picked the game up again. I used to spend day and night locked up in action at the poolroom. I never paid attention to my stroke or aiming. If I won my stroke was fine. If I lost I needed to play more and improve. The only thing I thought about was shooting pool. I never worried abot PSR or SPF. After all, good pool players don't need to ask for directions I figured.

I would have my ups and downs just like all players did. If I had a problem I would try to figure out how to fix it. I noticed my stroke would swerve in some days and out on other days. Then there were some days it was straight again. I never did figure out what the problem was, but I had a few ideas. After years of frustration I gave up and sold my cue.

When i started playing again I decided to try looking at some technical info which I had shunned previously. I realized I didn't know squat about my stroke. With some of my bad habits resurfacing I wanted to see what Gene had to offer, so I bought his video and met with him. Using his principles I noticed an immediate improvement and I started to gain some speed back. A couple of weeks ago I bent down to look at a tight shot and closed my left eye. I wondered why I would close my dominant eye to look at a shot. I tried again a short time later and I did the same thing. The only thing that made sense is that I was not closing my dominant eye, but rather I was using my dominant eye to aim...my right eye! All the tests showed me to be left eye dominant, but I was forcing my left eye to be dominant when it wasn't. I had shot that way for years. That helped to explain why I would make several tough shots only to miss an easy one. And why I was subconciously compensating on certain shots. So, now what?

I thought about it and tried using the same things Gene had taught to me with my other eye. Not to be a drama king here, but I've been playing at least a ball better on my 4" pockets. My stroke has straightened out, too. No more compensating for poor aim/alignment. I just wish I would have known this a long time ago. Thanks again, Gene!

Best,
Mike

LAMas
09-22-2010, 10:01 PM
One of the better shooter instructors here is blind in one eye and plays lights out (pun not intended).

Andy Scott in AZ is/was a good shooter and he would close one eye when he got down on a shot.

I swear that my dominant eye can change from day to day - so I line up my shot with my cue resting on the table, aimed at the shot [CB to OB]) and then I walk into and get down over it so that I will know that I am in line when I focus/aim.

Works for me.:)

Ratta
09-22-2010, 10:47 PM
Discussion about *eye-dominance* is hard. Anyway it s a bit funny imo how many ppl talking in such discussions. Also if you re 100% sure which eye is your dominant eye....in many different *head positions* you ll probably not always in the same like before. Even if you have one *very good eye*-and your 2nd maybe bad....the 2nd one will also takes his part to *be lined up perfectly*.
i for myself am not able to see with my right eye- so i am a 100 % left-dominant eyed player. But we tested it for fun- if i close my right eye (with this i can see if it s night or day, colours-and ofc still cann see if my opponent is a woman or a man :p) i m not ligned up in the same position like i would be ligned up with opened *right eye*.
This is a discussion where some ppl praying things-and know nothing about it.

Ingo

conetip
09-22-2010, 11:46 PM
For me, when I shot left hand pistol, I get all the shots on the target using my left eye.
When using a rh pistol and rh eye, I also get all the shots on the target.
When I switch lh gun with rh eye, I miss, same as rh gun lh eye.
So I am not sure of which eye is dominant for pool.

genomachino
09-23-2010, 02:18 AM
For me, when I shot left hand pistol, I get all the shots on the target using my left eye.

Hi there,

One of the biggest drawback for understanding Perfect Aim was identifying the pool shooting dominant eye. For the players that had the wrong eye, and there was alot of them, it didn't seem to work for them because they were always adjusting the absolute wrong way.

The ones that did get it understood and loved how it worked.

The new video that I am working on right now has all the good info from the first but also has some new techniques that make it easier than ever to understand. This has been made possible by doing the Perfect aim review by AZers for Azers about 4 months ago. This helped me answer alot of questions that will help players learn this in the future.

But one of the most important parts of the video will be showing everyone how to find their pool shooting eye beyond a shadow of a doubt. Once this is done it is a snap to learn Perfect Aim because the player can see the results with their own eyes almost immediately.

Without knowing the dominant eye and how to adjust to see the different shots perfectly a player just has to resort to the old school of shooting until your ready to drop method every night for about a month or so to start seeing the shots better.

Perfect Aim allows you to get the eyes in the correct position right away and therefor your brain is getting the correct info so your body and arm can do the rest.

Identifying the dominant eye is a must in finding the perfect spot for each individual.

This is one of the most important things I would teach players when they call me for a phone lesson once they bought the video. I need to help them make sure they have gotten the correct eye identified as dominant.

Have a great day geno any questions feel free to call 715-563-8712

Gerry
09-23-2010, 04:04 AM
How does this happen?

We all can shift our heads over about an inch to the right or the left and make the non-dominant eye work as the dominant eye. It usually won't look very good unless you were one of these players that was using the wrong eye as dominant.

In my teachings I have only found a dozen or so players that were doing this. But what a difference this made for them.

Have a great day Geno.......

This is exactly what I did in the last year. I'm lefty and left eye dom......I used to play with my left eye directly over the cue. I knew there was something wrong because I had to compensate by over/under cutting shots depending on which side I was cutting the ball to. My saving grace was I always did the same thing every time, so I figured once I found out why it would be easy to fix.

So, I was watching a video of Mike Sigel and I saw his alignment and how it differed from mine. I went down to the basement and by moving my head to the left.....it all fell into place. My brain kept saying "this is wrong......using the right eye more is no good" but.....it put everything into place.

I'm guessing this is what Geno would have done to fix me......it just wouldn't have taken me a year to get there! :grin:

genomachino
09-23-2010, 03:50 PM
This is exactly what I did in the last year. I'm lefty and left eye dom......I used to play with my left eye directly over the cue. I knew there was something wrong because I had to compensate by over/under cutting shots depending on which side I was cutting the ball to. My saving grace was I always did the same thing every time, so I figured once I found out why it would be easy to fix.

So, I was watching a video of Mike Sigel and I saw his alignment and how it differed from mine. I went down to the basement and by moving my head to the left.....it all fell into place. My brain kept saying "this is wrong......using the right eye more is no good" but.....it put everything into place.

I'm guessing this is what Geno would have done to fix me......it just wouldn't have taken me a year to get there! :grin:

It kind of sounds like you were trying to shoot like one of these one eyed wonders. By that I mean these lucky players that see the shot with only their dominant eye. They are looking at the shot like through a telescope. Unfortuanately unless your eyes and brain are wired like this it is very difficult to aim this way. Most of us are mere mortals that have the cue between the 2 eyes somewhere depending on the degree of dominance having to make a choice on where this magical best spot for the eyes is. For these one eyed wonders it's very simple. For us not so simple.

Once you move over it made things better but you still need to keep the dominant eye in it's dominant position. And it is kind of tricky to get it correct on all the shots because of all the optical illusions this game creates with the round balls ,straight rail,pockets and angles.

Good thing there aren't illusions like this in race car driving. You would need a new car every week.

Understanding that by moving the eyes where they need to be can be eye opening but to really understand where they need to be to counteract all these illusions is another matter. Because when you did move your head it is very easy to make the non dominant eye work a little bit as the dominant. When this happens is when the shot still looks pretty good but you miss it anyway even though everything seemed right. Sometimes by a mile and on a very simple shot. You might even think to yourself, you got to be kidding, how did I miss that simple shot by so much when it looked so good.

The answer to that question is the non dominant eye was in the dominant position and the brain was getting false information.

Have a great day geno..........

Mikjary
09-23-2010, 07:23 PM
One of the better shooter instructors here is blind in one eye and plays lights out (pun not intended).

Andy Scott in AZ is/was a good shooter and he would close one eye when he got down on a shot.

I swear that my dominant eye can change from day to day - so I line up my shot with my cue resting on the table, aimed at the shot [CB to OB]) and then I walk into and get down over it so that I will know that I am in line when I focus/aim.

Works for me.:)

Not having a consistent dominant eye has been my problem for years. I never realized it and I swerved left and right trying to compensate. The easy shots looked good and I'd miss them by a full ball. The same ones kept giving me trouble and now I understand why. I would line up wrong. The shot looked right and I would be aiming to the right spot, but the CB would go to the wrong contact point because I'd lined up wrong. My brain said it was right though. PITA! You can't even trust your own eyes. :confused: :grin:

Best,
Mike

Underclocked
09-23-2010, 07:46 PM
So... how does one determine which eye should be dominant for pool? :)

LAMas
09-23-2010, 08:33 PM
So... how does one determine which eye should be dominant for pool? :)

Get down and aim a straight in shot. Close one eye and then the other - the one that looks right is your dominant eye.

CocoboloCowboy
09-23-2010, 08:56 PM
Get down and aim a straight in shot. Close one eye and then the other - the one that looks right is your dominant eye.

What do you do if you only can close one EYE, because the EYE CLOSER in the other EYE DON'T WORK?????????

JoeyA
09-23-2010, 09:35 PM
What do you do if you only can close one EYE, because the EYE CLOSER in the other EYE DON'T WORK?????????

Well then, it's more than obvious at least to me that you are the absolute best candidate for Perfect Aim that I have ever heard of.

HollyWood
09-23-2010, 10:03 PM
Scott Lee , Randy Goettlicher- please speak up here. The amount of time for both eyes to see something is so fast.(like 10,000 of a sec . Lets here from instructors please. I think how you use your eyes is what is more important. What kind of eyes do you have?? Peek-a-boo(or ping pong) fast, quiet, nervous. Shooting 7 more shots from the set position. people focus with both eyes. Gene pool isn't rocket science. Lets ask Jeff Carter- Pool is 95 percent Mental! Comparing gun shooting to pool is redickulassssssssss mark

LAMas
09-23-2010, 10:28 PM

Should I feel sorry for you?:confused:

Ratta
09-23-2010, 10:37 PM
Well then, it's more than obvious at least to me that you are the absolute best candidate for Perfect Aim that I have ever heard of.

lol,

lg from overseas,

Ingo^^

Ratta
09-23-2010, 10:46 PM
Hi there,

a bit angry with myself bc it s not possible for me atm, to really write down in english and finding the correct words. I always tried to NOT type in one of these *Best Aiming* threads For sure Gene is a nice player and i bet he can show some nice stuff. i watched also the video-also here some nice things. But i totally disagree with this talkin about the *perfect position/aiming* the way Gene teaches and prayin it.

p.s.
For the example with the *one eyed player*. Watch Nils Fejen and Dick Jaspers playin- both players are one-eyed.......and imo they seem to be playin some nice balls from time to time .....both are AIMING TOTALLY DIFFERENT! I ma also just using one eye- 2nd isn t blind like it is for the other 2 guys- but i just see 15 percent or so- And my dominant eye should be easy to find...lol. And my ligh-up i much different.
But still this 15 percent are important to find and setup correctly for me.
Again, it totally disagree with the perfect-aim method. nice if it s work for someone. But this theme is too complex to teach it this way!

lg
Ingo

HollyWood
09-23-2010, 10:49 PM
Steve the Miz- wore contacts 1 for short shots and the other for long shots. It took time he said to get used to it. But it has nothing to do with dominant eyes. And I will get no laser eye surgery till The (doctor, Pilots, tells me its ok . ) I know a couple eye doctors and they plan on wearing glasses/contacts for a long time. The us military any branch will not let you serve- unless they do your surgery. Something to do with exploding eyeballs. There is new tech- on the horizon- but everybody is invested in the present techno.

genomachino
09-24-2010, 02:46 AM
Hi there,

a bit angry with myself bc it s not possible for me atm, to really write down in english and finding the correct words. I always tried to NOT type in one of these *Best Aiming* threads For sure Gene is a nice player and i bet he can show some nice stuff. i watched also the video-also here some nice things. But i totally disagree with this talkin about the *perfect position/aiming* the way Gene teaches and prayin it.

p.s.
For the example with the *one eyed player*. Watch Nils Fejen and Dick Jaspers playin- both players are one-eyed.......and imo they seem to be playin some nice balls from time to time .....both are AIMING TOTALLY DIFFERENT! I ma also just using one eye- 2nd isn t blind like it is for the other 2 guys- but i just see 15 percent or so- And my dominant eye should be easy to find...lol. And my ligh-up i much different.
But still this 15 percent are important to find and setup correctly for me.
Again, it totally disagree with the perfect-aim method. nice if it s work for someone. But this theme is too complex to teach it this way!

lg
Ingo

Hi there Ingo,

The problem is you are kind of in the middle. Your bad eye is still working and effecting the way you aim. It sounds like you can see some with that bad eye.. Only you can see how much you can see.

I think you said when you are aiming and you close your bad eye it doesn't look quite right. you'ld have to move it over then to see it with just the one eye. This probably means that your bad eye is doing more than what you might think for sure.

I wish I was there to help you in person. If you ever get to the US and I am at the same place I will give you a free personal lesson for free.

In fact you can call me for a free phone lesson anytime.

Good Luck and hope to hear from you my friend. geno

genomachino
09-24-2010, 03:24 AM
Scott Lee , Randy Goettlicher- please speak up here. The amount of time for both eyes to see something is so fast.(like 10,000 of a sec . Lets here from instructors please. I think how you use your eyes is what is more important. What kind of eyes do you have?? Peek-a-boo(or ping pong) fast, quiet, nervous. Shooting 7 more shots from the set position. people focus with both eyes. Gene pool isn't rocket science. Lets ask Jeff Carter- Pool is 95 percent Mental! Comparing gun shooting to pool is redickulassssssssss mark

Hi there,

When I do a personal lesson I show the player in a manner that they can see exactly what the eyes are doing and where they are for themselves. I don't just tell them, OK, this is the way it is and you just have to trust me. I make sure they can see it for themselves. And the things I teach them they can use right away with great results. They don't have to work at it for 6 months to see improvement. It's like right now.

In fact many of the players that have learned Perfect Aim know it well enough to teach it if they wanted to. Because if you really understand it you can see that it is just the way the eyes naturally see the best and it works. seeing it and using it with great success is the only proof the player needs to know that it works.

It's not neccessary to get an approval from another teacher to tell you that it works if you can see it for yourself already. And I know that it is hard to believe that nobody in the world has ever figured this out before but it is true. It's been 2 years since I've been teaching this full time and there has been nobody. Not a book or video or anyone that even had a clue about the main reason this works and how it works.

And sure some teachers have said that they already knew it, and I say know what, how do you already know it if you don't even know how it works. Kind of silly.

I've shown this to some of the top teachers in the country and they were amazed.

The players using Perfect Aim is growing everyday and players that are using it are having more fun playing because their making more shots than ever before.

That's what it's all about. Playing the game we all love and enjoy and improving as much as we can whenever we can. Perfect aim is just an excellent tool to boost you to your next level and help you aim the shots better so you have greater success at putting the ball in the hole.

Whether it's league play, tournament play or just playing with your friends making that little ball go in the hole sure is more fun than missing.

The goal of the new video is to try and cover all the bases and have a product where most everyone can learn this technique from just the video. And it looks like we're going to have a winner when it's done. It's in the works right now.

I will always though offer my personal phone number to anyone that has bought the Perfect Aim video and has any questions. I don't think it gets any better than that.

Have a great day geno...........

backplaying
09-24-2010, 03:48 AM
Can you name any good players that have improved by your perfect aim system that does not benifit from selling it? I have a open mind to anything, but i have never met a player since i have been back playing or before that has mentioned improving by any so-called aiming system. I will say that you have done the best job at free advertising when it comes to your system. Just my opinion,don't take it personal. If your ever around Al, I would like to see this first hand and i promise to give a truthful feedback!

genomachino
09-24-2010, 06:13 AM
Can you name any good players that have improved by your perfect aim system that does not benifit from selling it? I have a open mind to anything, but i have never met a player since i have been back playing or before that has mentioned improving by any so-called aiming system. I will say that you have done the best job at free advertising when it comes to your system. Just my opinion,don't take it personal. If your ever around Al, I would like to see this first hand and i promise to give a truthful feedback!

They're all good players. it's just that some of them don't aim so good naturally. The ones that naturally aim the best usually play the best. When I show someone this for the first time it's like turning on a light. And I always see that big smile.

Once a person understands this they can get the eyes in the correct position and feel confident because the shot looks good. Nothing worse than getting down on a shot and you give up on it because you don't know how to position the eyes to see it as good as you can. Many players have these shots that they just dread. they just never seem to look right.

Once a player learns this they can correct their aim themselves. It's priceless info.

Just like shooting a gun or shooting a bow and arrow aiming a pool shot is simular. Players can be taught to aim. I know this from experience.

I don't blame you for being sceptical. There's alot of junk to sort out in this world today.

I gave about 12 free mini lessons last night at Shooters Billiards in Burnsville ,Mn to the league players there. It took about 4 hours. Some of them will schedule a personal lesson later on but for the most part I'm just sharing this info for free to hard working people that love to play pool. it was just great to see all the different reactions to what they just learned.

I'm just a little guy trying to share something that works really well to improve a persons pool game. Word of mouth is the best advertising in the world.

I havn't posted too much here on AZ the last month or so. My health hasn't been the best. Trying to recharge my life battery right now.

Hopefully after the video is done I can get back on the road and teach more players whereever I go how this works. Just have to see what happens......

Have a great day Geno................

JoeyA
09-24-2010, 07:27 AM

XOSPro,
You ask a pretty good question and I'll take a stab at this even though I see Gene has answered your question.

I think for better players ("Good Players"), seeing new methods to aim is kind of a redundancy and their improvement may be limited. Some of the "good players" already know how to make the shot and get shape regardless of how they aim. Sometimes, learning a new method to aim can cause some discomfort and may in fact initially cause some reduction in the quality of play.

If you're the person I think you are, I've met you and believe you would give an honest appraisal of Gene's Perfect Aim. I'm just guessing here, but I think you would listen and learn but it would be a difficult thing for you to change.

I've seen Perfect Aim, met Gene and talked to him on the phone and Perfect Aim and Gene Albrecht are the real deal.

I actually believe that different people "see" things differently. When Shooting Arts and I were experimenting with Perfect Aim, I was astonished that he and I actually saw things (shots) MUCH differently. The difference in how we see shots can account for much of the discrepancies in this and other aiming system reviews.

Some professional players aim at certain shots in a specific manner, different from the way other people aim at shots. Players move their head and eyes all over the place trying to find the Perfect Aim and it is my belief that it can be different for each of us. Perfect Aim can help you to find that "perfect place" for your eyes to be. More importantly, in my opinion, Gene is a TOP PLAYER, willing to share equally important information about how you can improve your game.

Gene is one of the few instructors out there who will answer any question that you have for free. In my opinion, it's not the smartest thing to do if you're trying to make a dollar but Gene will help you with all aspects of your game, not just how you aim.

I have so much fun learning how other people aim, execute and how they think about pool, I could not understand how anyone could pass up the opportunity to learn from Gene. I would venture to say that if you don't improve your aiming using Perfect Aim, you should attempt to learn what it is that Gene does that makes him a "good player", ok, "Top Player" and while your game may not be able to be improved much, a little tweak here and there can't hurt.

The other thing I've learned is that each of us has a particular way in which we understand things and learn things as well as teach things. Sometimes, a different person can be saying the same thing and it clicks with one person but not the other. I don't know if its the way people say it or the way the learner perceives the information at the point in time but the truth is I have heard basically the same information from different people but the information was communicated from one person in a manner in which I seemed to "get it", better.

Recently, I was teaching a brand new student of the game, how to aim. The student had been around the pool room for a couple of months and several people had attempted to teach him how to aim the shot. Cutting balls consistently was an impossibility. This was because he didn't understand what was being said to him. I use visualization techniques when I teach in addition to verbal instruction and when he finally "got it", he looked like a neon sign. Keep in mind, that this kid had a composite score of 33 on his ACT tests (of which the maximum score is 36).

We are all individuals who often see, think, comprehend/understand and communicate differently and you may be able to "connect" with one person better than another.

This "difference" in each of us may account for the all of the hatred in the world as well. :D:D:D

I try to see the commonality in each of us because in spite of all of our differences, we are all still brothers and sisters with the same wants and needs and share more things in common than first glance is want to recognize.

cookie man
09-24-2010, 09:51 AM
This is one high-quality post.XOSPro,
You ask a pretty good question and I'll take a stab at this even though I see Gene has answered your question.

I think for better players ("Good Players"), seeing new methods to aim is kind of a redundancy and their improvement may be limited. Some of the "good players" already know how to make the shot and get shape regardless of how they aim. Sometimes, learning a new method to aim can cause some discomfort and may in fact initially cause some reduction in the quality of play.

If you're the person I think you are, I've met you and believe you would give an honest appraisal of Gene's Perfect Aim. I'm just guessing here, but I think you would listen and learn but it would be a difficult thing for you to change.

I've seen Perfect Aim, met Gene and talked to him on the phone and Perfect Aim and Gene Albrecht are the real deal.

I actually believe that different people "see" things differently. When Shooting Arts and I were experimenting with Perfect Aim, I was astonished that he and I actually saw things (shots) MUCH differently. The difference in how we see shots can account for much of the discrepancies in this and other aiming system reviews.

Some professional players aim at certain shots in a specific manner, different from the way other people aim at shots. Players move their head and eyes all over the place trying to find the Perfect Aim and it is my belief that it can be different for each of us. Perfect Aim can help you to find that "perfect place" for your eyes to be. More importantly, in my opinion, Gene is a TOP PLAYER, willing to share equally important information about how you can improve your game.

Gene is one of the few instructors out there who will answer any question that you have for free. In my opinion, it's not the smartest thing to do if you're trying to make a dollar but Gene will help you with all aspects of your game, not just how you aim.

I have so much fun learning how other people aim, execute and how they think about pool, I could not understand how anyone could pass up the opportunity to learn from Gene. I would venture to say that if you don't improve your aiming using Perfect Aim, you should attempt to learn what it is that Gene does that makes him a "good player", ok, "Top Player" and while your game may not be able to be improved much, a little tweak here and there can't hurt.

The other thing I've learned is that each of us has a particular way in which we understand things and learn things as well as teach things. Sometimes, a different person can be saying the same thing and it clicks with one person but not the other. I don't know if its the way people say it or the way the learner perceives the information at the point in time but the truth is I have heard basically the same information from different people but the information was communicated from one person in a manner in which I seemed to "get it", better.

Recently, I was teaching a brand new student of the game, how to aim. The student had been around the pool room for a couple of months and several people had attempted to teach him how to aim the shot. Cutting balls consistently was an impossibility. This was because he didn't understand what was being said to him. I use visualization techniques when I teach in addition to verbal instruction and when he finally "got it", he looked like a neon sign. Keep in mind, that this kid had a composite score of 33 on his ACT tests (of which the maximum score is 36).

We are all individuals who often see, think, comprehend/understand and communicate differently and you may be able to "connect" with one person better than another.

This "difference" in each of us may account for the all of the hatred in the world as well. :D:D:D

I try to see the commonality in each of us because in spite of all of our differences, we are all still brothers and sisters with the same wants and needs and share more things in common than first glance is want to recognize.

CocoboloCowboy
09-24-2010, 10:40 AM
Should I feel sorry for you?:confused:

Nope it is called old age.

AtLarge
09-24-2010, 12:34 PM
"Aiming method" to me means things like

ghostball
contact point to contact point
center to edge (CTE)
double the distance
fractional ball
90/90

Is Gene's Perfect Aim another aiming method that would be added to the above list? Some people talk as if it is.

Or is it just guidance for eye placement, and it would be used along with any one of the above aiming methods?

Or is it something else?

Mikjary
09-24-2010, 10:04 PM
"Aiming method" to me means things like

ghostball
contact point to contact point
center to edge (CTE)
double the distance
fractional ball
90/90

Is Gene's Perfect Aim another aiming method that would be added to the above list? Some people talk as if it is.

Or is it just guidance for eye placement, and it would be used along with any one of the above aiming methods?

Or is it something else?

I think Perfect Aim is is basically a guidance for eye placement as you correctly stated. It definitely would be useful in the aiming systems you listed. Gene also has a few additions to the aiming method he showed me that also helped my pre-shot routine and initial alignment.

Best,
Mike

HollyWood
09-25-2010, 12:51 AM
Please rest up Gene ,with all the wind and rain were getting it is crazy.Stay warm my friend. Drink that elderberry Juice-4 oz-3 days in a row. It will help with ( duration time) if your feeling a cold coming. I happen to think Gene has succeeded at Pool because he has Played pool for like 50 yrs. It sounds like you are having fun on the road too. Great, we all love traveling- going into those towns we went to yrs ago, I think Gene's eye surgery has helped him greatly at the table. Sleep well,godbless. mark

JimS
09-25-2010, 02:39 AM
XOSPro,

I've heard it called, in the world of therapists, "the Ah-Ha(!) experience". All of a sudden the light comes on! It's a mix of the right person expressing the idea, the right idea and the learner having come just far enough down a particular road to be able to grasp it. It's a convergence. Energies come together and cause friction, that is experessed in the word learning, and the friction of ideas and expression of them light up the world for the person who happens to have come across all those factors at that particular point in time and space. Being a part of that experience for others... helping to make it happen for them is the purpose of life.. imo.

The teacher pours forth that which has come in to them and does that because that's what he does.. that's his life.. his intent.. his predeliction.. and the travelers which "happen" (it's not coincidence.. but it feels like it at the moment) which happen to be at that particular crossroad at that particular second in eternity are there for the purpose of life to be expressed and carried further on down the road, perhaps by a new "teacher", where It will be reenergized and passed on yet again.

It's a beautiful thing.

Joey.. you are a talented communicator. You SEE a broad picture and you paint it in such a manner that a majority of onlookers can better understand what they are seeing in the hogde-podge finger painting that is life. You see the individual brush strokes and call attention to their meaning and contribution to the picture as a whole. What an incredible asset you are to azbilliards and to pool as a whole. You... and Hu.. and Blackjack.. and Tate.. and CC, and Fatboy, and Jay, and JAM and Trigger and Geno and and and and and so dammed many other good people. :groucho:

JimS
09-25-2010, 02:44 AM
Please rest up Gene ,with all the wind and rain were getting it is crazy.Stay warm my friend. Drink that elderberry Juice-4 oz-3 days in a row. It will help with ( duration time) if your feeling a cold coming. I happen to think Gene has succeeded at Pool because he has Played pool for like 50 yrs. It sounds like you are having fun on the road too. Great, we all love traveling- going into those towns we went to yrs ago, I think Gene's eye surgery has helped him greatly at the table. Sleep well,godbless. mark

This is a beautiful post. Thank you.

LAMas
09-25-2010, 07:23 AM
I've heard it called, in the world of therapists, "the Ah-Ha(!) experience". All of a sudden the light comes on! It's a mix of the right person expressing the idea, the right idea and the learner having come just far enough down a particular road to be able to grasp it. It's a convergence. Energies come together and cause friction, that is experessed in the word learning, and the friction of ideas and expression of them light up the world for the person who happens to have come across all those factors at that particular point in time and space. Being a part of that experience for others... helping to make it happen for them is the purpose of life.. imo.

The teacher pours forth that which has come in to them and does that because that's what he does.. that's his life.. his intent.. his predeliction.. and the travelers which "happen" (it's not coincidence.. but it feels like it at the moment) which happen to be at that particular crossroad at that particular second in eternity are there for the purpose of life to be expressed and carried further on down the road, perhaps by a new "teacher", where It will be reenergized and passed on yet again.

It's a beautiful thing.

Joey.. you are a talented communicator. You SEE a broad picture and you paint it in such a manner that a majority of onlookers can better understand what they are seeing in the hogde-podge finger painting that is life. You see the individual brush strokes and call attention to their meaning and contribution to the picture as a whole. What an incredible asset you are to azbilliards and to pool as a whole. You... and Hu.. and Blackjack.. and Tate.. and CC, and Fatboy, and Jay, and JAM and Trigger and Geno and and and and and so dammed many other good people. :groucho:

To me it's called an "epiphany".

Before:

After:

:smile::thumbup:

genomachino
09-26-2010, 02:45 AM

Yesterday was kind of a special day. I got a call from New Zealand. I hope I spelled it right.

By using my tests to find out which eye was dominant we found out it was his left eye.

When he does the normal eye dominance test he's right eye dominant.

Then I got a PM saying he thought maybe it was his right eye.

The problem is that unless a person knows exactly how to adjust, knowing the dominant eye does you no good. In order to use Perfect Aim it is neccessary to know which eye is dominant for sure or it won't work either.

I'm going to work with conetip some more. I can't leave him hanging like this.

The problem is the call was just to find his dominant eye. I didn't know he had the video already. I tried to explain it in about 10 minutes because the phone call from New Zealand is very expensive. 10 minutes just wasn't enough. I'm afraid it's going to take another phone call.

This is one reason right now we are working on the new video. To try and make it pretty much stand alone as far as understanding everything. It can sometimes be very difficult to understand. But once you get it you got it. And you'll never aim the same again.

It's always fun to talk to someone from another country. I always wondered how the numbers on the balls look in like Japan or China. :rotflmao1:

JoeyA
09-26-2010, 06:45 AM
This is one high-quality post.
That's very kind of you cookie man.

It's a beautiful thing.

Jim, I don't know what to say, except thanks.

To me it's called an "epiphany".

That's something only a Catholic would say. :D

JoeyA
09-26-2010, 06:46 AM
It's always fun to talk to someone from another country. I always wondered how the numbers on the balls look in like Japan or China. :rotflmao1:

YOu must be feeling better. Hope you are doing well.
JoeyA

The Renfro
09-26-2010, 01:18 PM
Geno

Here is a good one for you. According to my eye doctor I am one of 3% of the population who is not physically able to cross my eyes. Which means that there is a fixed amount of assistance available from whatever eye I am not using as dominant.

I have taken several different dominance tests and they have never been conclusive as I have a dbl image that I apparently ignore and use as dominant whichever eye is physically closest to being on the line. I also get an almost identical shift on swapping eyes on the telephone pole test when I close the eye not on the line.

From a hard focus standpoint I would think that at a certain fixed point directly in front of me and directly between my eyes I would have a single image and be able to feed both hemispheres of my brain for the shot by using the feedback from both eyes. Until I can figure out a way to determine where this convergence occurs I will continue to shoot one eyed and rifle aim with my right eye since it starts out more naturally aligned over my right arm.

If in your studies you have came across any tests for determining actual convergence I would appreciate you sharing. I am almost thinking that this is possibly what you are attempting to teach people when you discuss adjustments for dominance.

~Chris

genomachino
09-26-2010, 03:07 PM
Geno

Here is a good one for you. According to my eye doctor I am one of 3% of the population who is not physically able to cross my eyes. Which means that there is a fixed amount of assistance available from whatever eye I am not using as dominant.

I have taken several different dominance tests and they have never been conclusive as I have a dbl image that I apparently ignore and use as dominant whichever eye is physically closest to being on the line. I also get an almost identical shift on swapping eyes on the telephone pole test when I close the eye not on the line.

From a hard focus standpoint I would think that at a certain fixed point directly in front of me and directly between my eyes I would have a single image and be able to feed both hemispheres of my brain for the shot by using the feedback from both eyes. Until I can figure out a way to determine where this convergence occurs I will continue to shoot one eyed and rifle aim with my right eye since it starts out more naturally aligned over my right arm.

If in your studies you have came across any tests for determining actual convergence I would appreciate you sharing. I am almost thinking that this is possibly what you are attempting to teach people when you discuss adjustments for dominance.

~Chris

Hi there Chris,

thank you very much for replying to this thread. You might have enabled me to put a reason behind why some players can only see the shot when they only use one eye. I call the one eyed wonders. And as your eye doctor says about 3% would be pretty close.

There is a high percentage of top shooting players that shoot with one eye like this. I don't know what percentage it would be but they seem to have an advantage seeing the shot better.

No matter what your eye pattern is you still have to work at the game very hard to get to a higher level but these players seem to aim awful good compared to us mere mortals.

I always just say to them that this is the way your brain is wired with your eyes and you just can't see the shot in the same manner as others. And what you stated here might be the reason that this happens.

And then again it might just be coincidence and you just happen to be one of the one eyed wonders that just happens to have this, can't cross my eyes trouble. But then again yourself and the other 3% might be the most perfect way of seeing things that there is. The rest of us are the ones with the problem. I can't see where crossing your eyes at all can be an advantage.

I'm left eye dominant and shoot a gun with my right eye and right hand. I could shoot left handed using my left eye also because we can isolate that eye when it is looking down the site. The reason I think that I can't do what you do with one eye is the other eye is crossing and trying to help but instead tries to work a little like it's dominant just making a mess of the whole aiming thing with the pool shot.

This is exciting stuff for me. To the players that shoot with one eye it's probably no big deal because they just do what they do. Aim the way they can and many of them are not even aware that they are this way or don't care. All that matters is if the ball goes where you want it to.

Players that shoot with both eyes like myself might get confussed and they might think that they shoot like you. But they need not worry because just like you trying to shoot like me, they can't possibly shoot like you. It just won't work. The cross eyedness just takes over.

Thanks again. I sure would like to talk to you. Please call me some me. evening. I'm in the poolhalls here in Minneapolis playing and giving lessons until early in the morning so after 7:00 in the evening is the best time.

Have a great day geno 715-563-8712

conetip
09-26-2010, 10:15 PM
I would like to thank Gene for helping me over the past weekend.
My pool game has been slowly going down hill over the past 4 years.
My particular problem ,I see the shot , line up and miss. Even straight in shots I was missing.
When I do all the common dominace tests, I am right eye domainant.
But when using a pistol,I am actually left eye dominant.
After talking to Geno on the phone for a few minutes and then reviewing the dvd,
gave it another go.
So I set up a simple straight in shot.Lined it up and then went to see which eye was where.As it happened my left eye was closer to the alignment than the right eye.
My potting rate went up markedly.Even when it looked like the right eye was the one,I kept the left aligned.
I also noticed that I had to change my stance /feet position slightly,as the whole mechanics was actually wrong.
I had my son be an observer and help to correct what I was doing wrong.
He was impressed at the improvement I made today.
His comment was I was making shots that I used to make 5 years ago.
I am convinced that Geno can help most people who want to be helped.
Neil Lickfold

genomachino
09-27-2010, 03:46 PM
I would like to thank Gene for helping me over the past weekend.
My pool game has been slowly going down hill over the past 4 years.
My particular problem ,I see the shot , line up and miss. Even straight in shots I was missing.
When I do all the common dominace tests, I am right eye domainant.
But when using a pistol,I am actually left eye dominant.
After talking to Geno on the phone for a few minutes and then reviewing the dvd,
gave it another go.
So I set up a simple straight in shot.Lined it up and then went to see which eye was where.As it happened my left eye was closer to the alignment than the right eye.
My potting rate went up markedly.Even when it looked like the right eye was the one,I kept the left aligned.
I also noticed that I had to change my stance /feet position slightly,as the whole mechanics was actually wrong.
I had my son be an observer and help to correct what I was doing wrong.
He was impressed at the improvement I made today.
His comment was I was making shots that I used to make 5 years ago.
I am convinced that Geno can help most people who want to be helped.
Neil Lickfold

Hi there Neil,

I show players how to make the right eye and the left eye dominant so there is no mistakening which one is dominant because then they can make a choice. I try not to keep them over using the wrong eye to long because it makes it hard to stay in the right position with the dominant eye later.

For an experiment one night I forced my right eye to be dominant and I could still make most of the shots. It was tough but I did it for about 2 hours.

When I switched back it was disaster. I had trouble keeping my dominant eye in the proper position. I was playing in a little tournament later that night and I got knocked out right away.

With you being able to switch your eyes with the guns I'm sure it is easy for you to switch back and forth with the pool without even knowing it. So a conscious effort is needed for you to keep that left eye doing what it is supposed to do when you aim your shots. To the right and to the left.

Whenever you accidently make the other eye dominant it is kind of like making yourself crosseyed making it hard to focus on what really looks right for you.

This happens to other players the same way but not to the same extreme. Anytime you make the non dominant work like the dominant eye just a little the shots doesn't quite look right. And everytime this happens it makes it harder to focus on the next shot and get it correct.

This is why sometimes a player just seems to blow up. He starts missing everything. The problem was that he got the eyes crossed on a few shots and now it's hard to get them where they need to be. If he only knew he could correct it. Especially in a high pressure situation like a hill hill match for all the bananas.

Now that you know what you know Niel can you imagine being in this situation on the hill and accidently making the non dominant eye be a little dominant. That's like being a little pregnant when you don't want to be pregnant. Just the wrong eye being dominant a little on a particular shot can be disaster.

Many times a player will miss that shot that he needs to make. He didn't dog the shot.

HE DOGGED THE EYES. THEY WERE NOT IN THE CORRECT DOMINANT POSITION.

If he knew how this worked he could stop this from happening.

Not having the eyes in the right position especially on important shots when we get excited is Pool Shot suicide. The shot have 0% chance of going and if someone was looking down your cue to see if the shot was line up I'm sure they would bet a ton on money you missing the shot.

Thanks again Neil and good luck

Have a great day Geno..........

conetip
09-28-2010, 03:32 AM
I played a mini tournament and got to the top 8.
Alot of people commented tonight on how much my game has improved since the last week.So I feel alot more confident .
I found it helped if I approached the shot left eyed.Also found that when I assumed I was aiming properly,mainly a right hand cut, I was actually not correctly aligned with either eye.
They now have a coach at the local place I played tonight.He starts next week assisting people.I told him what I did to improve, he said that eye dominance was usually the 1st thing that is over looked. Similar to my self, he is right handed with left dominant eye in pool, but right eyed for most other things.Once again,Thankyou.
Neil