PDA

View Full Version : Winning & Losing

JoeyA
09-22-2010, 02:34 PM
It really gets old, hearing the perspectives of many sweaters and gamblers alike. I hear these comments myself and I hear them when someone else wins or loses also.

When someone loses, I often hear people say, "Man, you just played bad." (especially the winner)

When someone wins, I often hear the sweaters say, "You stole that money". Or, "You must be kin to Jesse James" or some other negative connotation, like "They ought to bar you from this tournament".

Do you think people are just trying to make conversation or do they really think you had so much the best of the game, that the match up was a heist? Or do you think when you don't win, people think that you should play your best game all of the time?

When you lose, why don't you hear things like this more often: "Tough match, we'll try something different next time." ? Or, "Dude! I just played some of my best pool and got most of the good rolls. Better luck next time".

When I win, I try to not make much of a deal about it and often make remarks about the good rolls I received or sometimes I just give an empathetic grimmace with a warm handshake or a reluctant fist pump.

When I lose, I try to keep it short as well, wishing my opponent "good luck" or "good shooting" but seldom get into the hyperbole of smack talk like "CALL, THE POLICE, ALEXANDER MUNDY IS ON THE LOOSE (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It_Takes_a_Thief_(1968_TV_series))".

Does it ever bother you one way or the other? I win some I lose some, but I am seldom stealing anything. Most of the time, I am playing better players and have got the worst of it, no matter if I have the spot or not.

The lesser players, well, I practice with them mostly, trying to help their game. I'd rather practice by myself but everyone likes to play better players to see where they stand. The other thing that swells them up pretty good is if I practice with a lesser player and I slack up on them and they have a good match and win'; and then they run around the pool room bragging about how they whipped up on me. If I talk about beating up on someone who is a better player for funzies, I let the world know it was funzies because I at least know the difference in playing for sh*ts and giggles and putting some dough on the line. It's normally the first thing out of my mouth because I don't want the better player thinking I am putting down his play or insinuating that my level of play is equal to theirs.

Any thoughts??? :D:D:D:banghead:

h2o4170
09-22-2010, 02:46 PM
It really gets old, hearing the perspectives of many sweaters and gamblers alike. I hear these comments myself and I hear them when someone else wins or loses also.

When someone loses, I often hear people say, "Man, you just played bad." (especially the winner)

When someone wins, I often hear the sweaters say, "You stole that money". Or, "You must be kin to Jesse James" or some other negative connotation, like "They ought to bar you from this tournament".

Do you think people are just trying to make conversation or do they really think you had so much the best of the game, that the match up was a heist? Or do you think when you don't win, people think that you should play your best game all of the time?

When you lose, why don't you hear things like this more often: "Tough match, we'll try something different next time." ? Or, "Dude! I just played some of my best pool and got most of the good rolls. Better luck next time".

When I win, I try to not make much of a deal about it and often make remarks about the good rolls I received or sometimes I just give an empathetic grimmace with a warm handshake or a reluctant fist pump.

When I lose, I try to keep it short as well, wishing my opponent "good luck" or "good shooting" but seldom get into the hyperbole of smack talk like "CALL, THE POLICE, ALEXANDER MUNDY IS ON THE LOOSE (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It_Takes_a_Thief_(1968_TV_series))".

Does it ever bother you one way or the other? I win some I lose some, but I am seldom stealing anything. Most of the time, I am playing better players and have got the worst of it, no matter if I have the spot or not.

The lesser players, well, I practice with them mostly, trying to help their game. I'd rather practice by myself but everyone likes to play better players to see where they stand. The other thing that swells them up pretty good is if I practice with a lesser player and I slack up on them and they have a good match and win'; and then they run around the pool room bragging about how they whipped up on me. If I talk about beating up on someone who is a better player for funzies, I let the world know it was funzies because I at least know the difference in playing for sh*ts and giggles and putting some dough on the line. It's normally the first thing out of my mouth because I don't want the better player thinking I am putting down his play or insinuating that my level of play is equal to theirs.

Abs you know win I lose I always tell my opp ,you played great,when I win I always say man i got some rolls or you got some tough breaks or atleast man that was tough even if it wasnt.Maybe thats just the old hustler ways comin out.
My biggest ***** is when someone slops a ball in,hey its part of 9 ball,and they say sorry man.Really if ur sorry lets play the game over,Im always happy when I slop a nine in.

cleary
09-22-2010, 02:49 PM
Everyone just wants something to complain about. The pool players mentality, for the most part, is that its someone else's fault. Not many will take responsibility for their own actions. Either its the handicap, they were sharked, im sick, ect...

In a local handicapped tournament I play in, everytime I beat someone, they complain about my handicap. When they beat me, they complain that it was too hard to beat me. LOL you can't win!

stljohnny
09-22-2010, 02:59 PM
It seems there are only 2 types of players in my area - those that "can not, ever, ever, never get a roll, if their life depended on it even" - meanwhile their opponent "could run the rack with 2 toes and a broom with the rolls they're getting". and those who downplay everything, "yeah, it was an okay shot." when you make some great shot; or after running a rack or 2 "man, that was tough, i got out of line, here, and there, and there, and i can't believe i made that shot - you should've won." those are the extremes i guess, and most people are somewhere in between.

but as for what cleary just said - yeah, that's pretty common too... it's terribly similar to the whole "people wont gamble unless they have the nuts" thing. they forget it's not supposed to be a sure thing.

Kickin' Chicken
09-22-2010, 03:12 PM
Yes, Joey, I have a thought on this:

You are a classy guy who loves pool and the challenge of some good competition. You seem to be courteous and gracious. In the world of pool, you may be in the minority, or at least, not in the overwhelming majority. But don't stop being polite because it might rub off on some folks who can use it. :)

Best,
Brian kc

Underclocked
09-22-2010, 03:31 PM
Along the same line, when the match is about to begin do you wish your opponent "good luck"? Do you do that in spite of really hoping he doesn't get a roll one and keeps his butt planted in the chair while you run rack after rack?

I do and feel like an idiot for saying it. :D

h2o4170
09-22-2010, 03:39 PM
Along the same line, when the match is about to begin do you wish your opponent "good luck"? Do you do that in spite of really hoping he doesn't get a roll one and keeps his butt planted in the chair while you run rack after rack?

I do and feel like an idiot for saying it. :D

Ive started saying "good luck I dont really mean it but im suppposed to say it" usaually gets a laugh atleast

Tom In Cincy
09-22-2010, 03:42 PM
Be a gracious winner or loser. It will get you more games in the future.

If you get an easy win, offer a little weight to the opponent next time.

If you get a win that wasn't so easy, you should be glad, that's why most players like to gambe, it adds the spice/pressure/test to your skills.

If you get a win and a good pay day, make sure you let everyone know how difficult it was to play so well... and that if it wasn't 'I got lucky' the result would have been different.

If you lose (not even close or hill-hill), whine, snarl, or stfu and be better prepared nextime.

If you quit winner, you are on my list of players that may never get another dime from me.

If you quit loser, busted or what ever. We can adjust with a handicap or maybe odds on the money. Adjusting is a good thing sometimes.

If you start screaming and making a fool of your self... well there are kids everywhere.. if you can forgive them I might be able to forgive you. Will see, future games may be a lot tougher for you, more money, less of a spot or maybe a different game altogether.

Everyone has an excuse. I've never heard a player admit that their skill level had anything to do with their performance.

Blue Hog ridr
09-22-2010, 03:43 PM
Joey, people say stupid things. Like Art Linklater used to say, "Kids Say the Darndest Things".

I'm a gracious winner and loser. If I win, I accept, smile and say thanks and good game.

If I lose, I say, well done, you deserved that one and good luck.

Mostly playing Scotch with my wife, all too often after the set is over, we hear excuses as to why our opponents lost. Like, man, we were playing crappy tonight. And I'm thinking to myself, gee thanks, is that the only way we won, is because you played like s h i t?

No, its because you played normal and we kicked your a s s into the ground is about what happened.

DRW
09-22-2010, 03:56 PM
Heard just about about all that's been said so far. Lately, been trying not to say good luck before the match, but when I say shoot well, I'm not really hoping that either.:grin: I shake hands win or lose and compliment the person if he played well.

Ghosst
09-22-2010, 04:53 PM
I can't imagine doing anything worse (pool related) to a person than insulting them after they lose but I hear that kind of talk regularly between other players. It's just an alpha complex and some don't get past the chest-thumping behavior of apes in terms of manners or etiquette.

greyghost
09-22-2010, 04:58 PM

You are a classy guy who loves pool and the challenge of some good competition. You seem to be courteous and gracious. In the world of pool, you may be in the minority, or at least, not in the overwhelming majority. But don't stop being polite because it might rub off on some folks who can use it. :)

Best,
Brian kc

very well said....rep to you sir

greyghost
09-22-2010, 05:03 PM
Why would anyone not quit while they are ahead? This is just stupid. You want to keep playing until the loser is broke or has your money? That makes no sense and there is no respect or honor in it--regardless of what you and the other people who believe this moronic notion say.

I swear, pool players must be horrible with money.

WTF are you talking about and how did you go off air with what Tom was saying about not quitting winner.....

Tom's talking about when say you and me match up and play some 200$ sets to 9 and you get up two sets and pack your bags and leave.......

thats chicken sh*t and I hate players like that......its unwritten code to give a player a shot at his money somehow.....if you don't that is generally the last time that player is ever going to donate to you.

If you want to make money you don't quit and hit the sheets and streets.

Thats also another good way to get your arse beat the hell up if your not in the right place.

-Grey Ghost-

JoeyA
09-22-2010, 05:17 PM

Best,
Brian kc

That's a great way to look at it Brian. Thanks. I'll try.

Now what do I do with all of that crap that these people spew out?

Pushout
09-22-2010, 05:19 PM
It's all part of the "ego trip" that pool is, the badgering back and forth, the sore losers and some egotistical winners. A lot of people need to have a reason for losing and the other guy winning. Doesn't apply to every body but it sure does to many. I just let it all go in one ear and out the other.
The best thing I ever heard anyone say about me was: "He don't talk, he just goes out there and plays!". This, after a tournament match.

Pushout
09-22-2010, 05:22 PM
Why would anyone not quit while they are ahead? This is just stupid. You want to keep playing until the loser is broke or has your money? That makes no sense and there is no respect or honor in it--regardless of what you and the other people who believe this moronic notion say.

Wow!! What a comment!!:confused:

Mr. Wiggles
10-15-2010, 02:53 PM
The final score does not always reflect the quality of play. Thats what I say when I lose. If you play your stick and play well its okay to get beat, I don't like it but its part of the game.

Fuji-whopper
10-15-2010, 03:11 PM
Tang Hoa does it right, when he wins he shakes his opponents hand silently while his face expresses that "I got lucky" humility. After losing the only words I ever use are "good shooting", shake the person's hand while looking them in the eye then go to put your equipment away.

What gets me is how many people, whether they win or lose, don't even look in your direction when shaking your hand.

Neil
10-15-2010, 03:20 PM

JoeyA
10-15-2010, 05:49 PM
Tang Hoa does it right, when he wins he shakes his opponents hand silently while his face expresses that "I got lucky" humility. After losing the only words I ever use are "good shooting", shake the person's hand while looking them in the eye then go to put your equipment away.

What gets me is how many people, whether they win or lose, don't even look in your direction when shaking your hand.

Have you ever thought it might be you? :D lol j/k but you know that.
Actually, I agree with you, people who fail to make eye contact whether they won or lost should reconsider. Even if they have a little disdain in their eye they should at least meet your gaze when shaking hands.

Personally, I have been involved with pushing ahead a movement in my pool room and the tournaments I frequent. While I realize there are many ways to transmit germs and colds, I personally plan to reduce the amount of handshaking by moving toward the ever-growing popularity of the "fist bump".

My other pet peeve is some people just have abnormally sweaty palms and don't get me started on hygiene. While I expect I won't die from either malady, I am prepared to deal with those things in my own way.

ironman
10-15-2010, 06:29 PM

h never mind!!

ironman
10-15-2010, 06:32 PM
WTF are you talking about and how did you go off air with what Tom was saying about not quitting winner.....

Tom's talking about when say you and me match up and play some 200$ sets to 9 and you get up two sets and pack your bags and leave.......

thats chicken sh*t and I hate players like that......its unwritten code to give a player a shot at his money somehow.....if you don't that is generally the last time that player is ever going to donate to you.

If you want to make money you don't quit and hit the sheets and streets.

Thats also another good way to get your arse beat the hell up if your not in the right place.

-Grey Ghost-

This will never make sense to those who can't make two balls in a row from anywhere. It will never sink in.

Kickin' Chicken
10-16-2010, 09:07 AM
That's a great way to look at it Brian. Thanks. I'll try.

Now what do I do with all of that crap that these people spew out?

I would still suggest trying your level best to be kind and polite to them , hoping that you might win them over to your way of doing things.

If this doesn't work, stab them in the neck repeatedly with an ice pick.

Best,
Brian kc

paksat
10-16-2010, 09:38 AM

"Do you think people are just trying to make conversation"

People these days seem to just want to make noise. They'll do whatever it takes to do this even if it means talking about the dumbest thing.

"When you lose, why don't you hear things like this more often: "Tough match, we'll try something different next time." ? Or, "Dude! I just played some of my best pool and got most of the good rolls. Better luck next time"."

Because people don't have class anymore.

It's good that you seem to be a word.. humble.

Piercyexclusive
10-16-2010, 09:45 AM
win or loose I always just say "great game"

strokerace
10-16-2010, 09:59 AM
I just say.." Maybe next time "..and leave it at that..and of course

look them right in the eye..and smile..:rolleyes: