PDA

View Full Version : BCA and Coca Cola

Johnnyt
09-23-2010, 06:25 AM
"Broomfield, Colo. - September 22, 2010 -- The Billiard Congress of America today announced it has finalized an unprecedented national partnership with Coca-Cola that provides pool room members of the association with national account pricing on the Coca-Cola family of products. In addition to preferred pricing, members of the Billiard Congress of America committing to exclusively pour Coca-Cola product receive free state-of-the-art equipment, national promotions and business building support."THIS ABOVE FROM AZ FRONT PAGE more...

I think this deal with Coke is great for the BCA and poolroom members. Maybe this is the start of some sponsored pro tournaments from Coke. That would be great for the players and pool fans and might attract more mainstream sponsors if the players act like pro sports figures. Who knows maybe Coke will bring back the Masked Marvels. This could be a big thing if handled right. Johnnyt

Masayoshi
09-23-2010, 07:03 AM
"Broomfield, Colo. - September 22, 2010 -- The Billiard Congress of America today announced it has finalized an unprecedented national partnership with Coca-Cola that provides pool room members of the association with national account pricing on the Coca-Cola family of products. In addition to preferred pricing, members of the Billiard Congress of America committing to exclusively pour Coca-Cola product receive free state-of-the-art equipment, national promotions and business building support."THIS ABOVE FROM AZ FRONT PAGE more...

I think this deal with Coke is great for the BCA and poolroom members. Maybe this is the start of some sponsored pro tournaments from Coke. That would be great for the players and pool fans and might attract more mainstream sponsors if the players act like pro sports figures. Who knows maybe Coke will bring back the Masked Marvels. This could be a big thing if handled right. Johnnyt
I prefer Pepsi, but I'm willing to sell out if they offer sponsorship. :thumbup:

mullyman
09-23-2010, 07:14 AM
It won't last long. God Bless them for joining up, I hope it goes well but I doubt it will. Like someone else mentioned, the pros are gonna have to act like pros.
MULLY

Bob Jewett
09-23-2010, 07:18 AM
It won't last long. God Bless them for joining up, I hope it goes well but I doubt it will. Like someone else mentioned, the pros are gonna have to act like pros.
MULLY
I didn't see anything in the press release that indicated the marketing arrangement was linked to pro tournaments. I think it is mostly intended as a benefit for the rooms, which can definitely use the help.

OTB
09-23-2010, 07:29 AM
Its a step in the right direction but this deal in no way really helps pool rooms.........the cost i pay for my syrup and bottled products from Coke Cola is minimul. If they gave it to me free every month it still would not really help the bottom line. People coming thru the door and playing and booze is the money.........people dont have the disposible income they used to, the older generation are watching there money the younger are buying quads, jet ski's, new trucks, its like this.........hey Bob, you want to go shoot pool or you want to go rip up the gravel pit with the quad. We need more mid level jobs in america. The service industry, IE: McDonalds can not support Wendys to support Wal Mart...........Tell Big companys to stop shipping jobs to Canada and Mexico......:thumbup:

Johnnyt
09-23-2010, 08:20 AM
I didn't see anything in the press release that indicated the marketing arrangement was linked to pro tournaments. I think it is mostly intended as a benefit for the rooms, which can definitely use the help.

I know it didn't say anything about touraments but having Coke around billiards it could happen. Even if it started with small local tournaments. Having Coke around Billiards is not a bad thing. Many possibilities here. Johnnyt

mamono
09-23-2010, 08:40 AM
I think it could be a step in the right direction, depends on how its done. We'll see how things turn out.

CallShotCowboy
09-23-2010, 09:13 AM
Its a step in the right direction but this deal in no way really helps pool rooms.........the cost i pay for my syrup and bottled products from Coke Cola is minimul. If they gave it to me free every month it still would not really help the bottom line.

How do you know your Coke cost is minimal, and how does your cost compare to national account pricing? It's hard to say that it really doesn't help your bottom line unless you give them a call and actually hear what they have to say. Iíve heard from a couple room owners that you might save up to $10 for a 5 gallon bag of syrup. If you purchase 100 bags a year, thatís $1,000. Not a bad savings for a membership with the BCA.

Maybe these programs are worth looking into. It works and thrives for the bowling industry.

The BCA also stated that they GUARANTEE room operators will save money, and will give them their money back if they don't. So what do room ops really have to lose?

I would be interested to hear from some room operators that actually called the BCA to check it out.

LeagueShirts
09-23-2010, 09:22 AM
It would be great if they would branch out further and sponsor the regional tours!

Ghosst
09-23-2010, 09:35 AM
Like someone else mentioned, the pros are gonna have to act like pros.

It all starts from the ground up; they have to be professional before they make it to the tour. That means all of us have to stop acting like old-school hustlers and not support those who do act this way. It means when a pro throws a tantrum people don't excuse it because they are a "great player". What company really wants their name associated with degenerate gamblers?

But back on topic, good job by the BCA to have a partnership like this and I hope room owners take advantage of the offer. Personal preference for Coke or Pepsi is irrelevant, as long as there are customers buying it. And a big thank you to Coca-Cola Bottling for joining up.

JoeyA
09-23-2010, 09:37 AM
This is a money back gurantee from the Billiard Congress of America. If the pool room doesn't save AT LEAST the amount of their dues, then the Billiard Congress of America will give them their dues back....

Not a bad deal.

Pool associated with Coca-Cola in any way shape or form, is a GOOD DEAL and like others have said, it could hold promises for the future but right now, it's GREAT for pool rooms.

I'll be so glad to get back to asking for a coke! :D

Tom In Cincy
09-23-2010, 10:23 AM
Anything that can help the bottom line for a pool hall to save money is OK in my book.

We'll see what the future will bring.

justadub
09-23-2010, 11:04 AM
This most definetely is a good thing. It may not be a huge money-saver, but if it saves the room owner anything, that's a positive.

More importantly, Coke is a HUGE name to have associated with pool. That can only help attract other sponsors, when they see that Coke is affiliated in at least some fashion, it lends credibility.

Great news. Small steps, but it is progress.

Philthepockets
09-23-2010, 11:08 AM
I can just see the ad's now "Earl drinks Coke and look what it's done for him"

Rick S.
09-23-2010, 11:12 AM
I can just see the ad's now "Earl drinks Coke and look what it's done for him"

No Coke for Earl....Sprite is his preferred soft drink. (Coke product)

Philthepockets
09-23-2010, 11:34 AM
Sprite did that ??

Rick S.
09-23-2010, 12:15 PM
Sprite did that ??

Either that, or the Kit Kat bars. One or the other. ;)

OTB
09-23-2010, 01:06 PM
$1000.00 is not going to help me keep my doors open, its called " The BCA " is looking for press time, hay look at us we gave the little guy a penny, we are swell. Stay paying your room owner fee's..... 10's of thousands of dollars are being lost in pool rooms, bars, etc. get a company to save me $10,000 + and & i will think this is nice........

How do you know your Coke cost is minimal, and how does your cost compare to national account pricing? It's hard to say that it really doesn't help your bottom line unless you give them a call and actually hear what they have to say. I’ve heard from a couple room owners that you might save up to $10 for a 5 gallon bag of syrup. If you purchase 100 bags a year, that’s $1,000. Not a bad savings for a membership with the BCA.

Maybe these programs are worth looking into. It works and thrives for the bowling industry.

The BCA also stated that they GUARANTEE room operators will save money, and will give them their money back if they don't. So what do room ops really have to lose?

I would be interested to hear from some room operators that actually called the BCA to check it out.

book collector
09-23-2010, 01:15 PM
Huge advertising sign
"TRY Coke, 90% of all players say it helped their game".

Cuaba
09-23-2010, 01:19 PM
If anybody wants to know why pool can't land & keep a major corporate sponsor, they should read this thread.

Until the sport learns how to support companies that support them, pool will continue to be a small money sport.

Johnnyt
09-23-2010, 01:49 PM
If anybody wants to know why pool can't land & keep a major corporate sponsor, they should read this thread.

Until the sport learns how to support companies that support them, pool will continue to be a small money sport.

I agree. While the players are known to shhot themselves in the foot, so are a lot of the fans. And then ***** that there are no mainstream sponors in pool. Johnnyt

h2o4170
09-23-2010, 01:57 PM

Exactly!! Something positive comes along and what do you hear. "Great news,good for them,thats great," no you get it wont last ,dont make a difference,who cares.Geeze can we be anymore negative anything that puts a major brand name in association with billiards is good new.

JamisonNeu
09-23-2010, 02:18 PM
"Broomfield, Colo. - September 22, 2010 -- . This could be a big thing if handled right. Johnnyt

Not could be a big thing it is already the biggest thing to happen for pool in my lifetime. Thanks to everyone that is involved!!!

I mean really THANK YOU!!! For your hard work you are now my favorite people in the world!!!

Big Perm
09-23-2010, 02:23 PM
I like the BCA and I like Coke.....anything like this can only be good for pool...

Thanks for posting this up Johnny....

Cuaba
09-23-2010, 02:31 PM
I agree. While the players are known to shhot themselves in the foot, so are a lot of the fans. And then ***** that there are no mainstream sponors in pool. Johnnyt

A company like Coke isn't going to just jump in with millions of dollars.

They are going to start small and see what happens.

Their willingness to commit more money will be based on their results from testing the waters. This could be huge if the fans and players show their support.

I don't drink much Coke, but I think I'll have one right now.

cuesmith
09-23-2010, 02:33 PM

Exactly. From what I've seen the BCA has nothing to do with the sport whatsoever! It's all about the business, the table manufacturers, the game room furniture, the poker chip manufacturers and anyone they can sell booth space to at their trade show. It's been a long time since they had any involvement in the sport itself! Personally I think they should no longer be called "Billiard Congress of America". It should be something like "Recreation Inc.". Even the BCA pool league is no longer associated with the BCA!

Scott Lee
09-23-2010, 02:58 PM
tap, tap, tap! I don't know why people can't be happy that a MAJOR international company has formed ANY kind of relationship with pool. The naysayers just have to b*tch and moan about "why can't it be more", or "that little bit of discount doesn't do anything". Holy cow! Didn't your momma teach ya to keep your mouth shut, if you don't have anything positive to say? Sheesh!

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

pooltchr
09-23-2010, 03:00 PM
The BCA gets more room owners as members.
The room owners save money on a product they sell.
Coke gets into some locations that may be presently Pepsi locations.

Looks like everybody wins.

Steve

Scott Lee
09-23-2010, 03:05 PM
Ah, the VERY old "what's in for ME" line, and even more, "what's in it for me NOW...not 5 years from now...what're ya gonna do for me TODAY?" This is the same crap that has held back pro pool for decades, and kept the players from having a real organization that actually could make some headway. You have to start somewhere, and this working relationship between the BCA and Coca-Cola is a start. This idea was based on what Strike Ten and Pepsi were able to contribute to bowling...and it was a LOT. How about we wait a few months (or even a year) before the badmouthing starts?

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

$1000.00 is not going to help me keep my doors open, its called " The BCA " is looking for press time, hay look at us we gave the little guy a penny, we are swell. Stay paying your room owner fee's..... 10's of thousands of dollars are being lost in pool rooms, bars, etc. get a company to save me $10,000 + and & i will think this is nice........

justadub
09-23-2010, 03:06 PM
A company like Coke isn't going to just jump in with millions of dollars.

They are going to start small and see what happens.

Their willingness to commit more money will be based on their results from testing the waters. This could be huge if the fans and players show their support.

Spot on! This is the absolute truth of the matter.

Scott Lee
09-23-2010, 03:10 PM
Sherm...I respect your right to your opinion, but the BCA is still the North American representative in the WPA...so in that right, they DO something that has to do with pool.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Exactly. From what I've seen the BCA has nothing to do with the sport whatsoever!

jimmy-leggs
09-23-2010, 04:00 PM
Its a step in the right direction but this deal in no way really helps pool rooms.........the cost i pay for my syrup and bottled products from Coke Cola is minimul. If they gave it to me free every month it still would not really help the bottom line. People coming thru the door and playing and booze is the money.........people dont have the disposible income they used to, the older generation are watching there money the younger are buying quads, jet ski's, new trucks, its like this.........hey Bob, you want to go shoot pool or you want to go rip up the gravel pit with the quad. We need more mid level jobs in america. The service industry, IE: McDonalds can not support Wendys to support Wal Mart...........Tell Big companys to stop shipping jobs to Canada and Mexico......:thumbup:

And we should start buying domestic cars NOT IMPORTS......................

cuesmith
09-23-2010, 04:26 PM
Sherm...I respect your right to your opinion, but the BCA is still the North American representative in the WPA...so in that right, they DO something that has to do with pool.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

I may have been wrong about that then, but can you explain exactly what they do in that capacity? I'm seriously interested.

stuckart
09-23-2010, 04:31 PM

Mark One Pool Room off my Bucket List! There, Mix a little Coke with bad attitude and you actually lose money.

It makes me absolutely sick how so many people choose to Hate First and ask questions later.

A HUGE Corporate Sponsor is willing to put their toes in the water. It can go two ways from here; We can show overwelming support and let the sponsor know how much they are appreciated which could result in even more sponsorship, OR, We can ***** and complain that it's not enough (Because that's the easiest thing to do) and burn another bridge.

I think we need to create a "Good For the Sport" list, much like the "Good Action List".

Scott Lee
09-23-2010, 08:03 PM
Sherm...Jerry Forsyth would be in a much better position to answer that than me. Supposedly the WPA is responsible for promoting world championship events, and making sure the best players get invited to play, along with making sure the money is there. With all the recent bs concerning one of the Filipino promoters, who had WPA sanctioning, but didn't pay (at least not in a timely manner), I have to wonder exactly what the mission of the WPA is. It does seem to be a "good ole boys" club.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

I may have been wrong about that then, but can you explain exactly what they do in that capacity? I'm seriously interested.

JamisonNeu
09-24-2010, 01:00 AM
The WPA is the org that keeps records straight. Can you imagine ten different tours all pretending to be the pro sport.

Anyone could go around saying they are the greatest nine ball player in the world. They could say they have won over 500 pro tourney's. Well because of the WPA they can now easily find out "the truth" or at least how the majority sees it. This "truth" brings a kind of credibility to our sport that would otherwise not exist.

I think this is their biggest role in our sport.

JustPlay
09-24-2010, 01:23 AM
After reading the article, it just sounds, like the Coca Cola company is just giving discounts to pool room owners on pop and some Coca Cola promo ads for room owners to place in their place of business.

If the men had an actual tour, with tour stops and some internal industry sponsorships, then, I could see Coke or Pepsi maybe putting up some money into that tour. However, they see that there is no tour and no actual professional business persons or company willing to handle all of the money, scheduling of events (places and dates), promotions, finances, staff and a players list. The Camel Tour was successful for a little while, then the wheels fell off. Pool just is not an attractive sport or game to which they see no real return on their investment.

Bars, pool rooms and taverns are getting sponsorship because they actually spend money day after day, year after year on their products to serve their patrons with.

Ask Mike Janis of the Viking Tour how hard it is to run a tour and to keep having sponsorship year in and year out. He has been doing it for 20 years. Congradulatons by the way! Don't you think that he hasn't tried for larger sponsorship like Pepsi or Coke and take his tour nationwide?

Does Coca Cola, a multi-billion dollar company with endless resourses and a great research and deveopment department really trust the BCA? It really doesn't. It's 2010 and "mens professional" pool in the USA is just limited to several big events per year. the 80's and the 90's is when pool in the USA was a force for men's pro pool. Now it is a world wide event and the rest of the world is the dominating it and the American men are not dominating it like they used too. Plus big companies see the failed resume's of Mens Professional pool tours here in the US....Good luck!

Johnnyt
09-24-2010, 04:12 AM
After reading the article, it just sounds, like the Coca Cola company is just giving discounts to pool room owners on pop and some Coca Cola promo ads for room owners to place in their place of business.

If the men had an actual tour, with tour stops and some internal industry sponsorships, then, I could see Coke or Pepsi maybe putting up some money into that tour. However, they see that there is no tour and no actual professional business persons or company willing to handle all of the money, scheduling of events (places and dates), promotions, finances, staff and a players list. The Camel Tour was successful for a little while, then the wheels fell off. Pool just is not an attractive sport or game to which they see no real return on their investment.

Bars, pool rooms and taverns are getting sponsorship because they actually spend money day after day, year after year on their products to serve their patrons with.

Ask Mike Janis of the Viking Tour how hard it is to run a tour and to keep having sponsorship year in and year out. He has been doing it for 20 years. Congradulatons by the way! Don't you think that he hasn't tried for larger sponsorship like Pepsi or Coke and take his tour nationwide?

Does Coca Cola, a multi-billion dollar company with endless resourses and a great research and deveopment department really trust the BCA? It really doesn't. It's 2010 and "mens professional" pool in the USA is just limited to several big events per year. the 80's and the 90's is when pool in the USA was a force for men's pro pool. Now it is a world wide event and the rest of the world is the dominating it and the American men are not dominating it like they used too. Plus big companies see the failed resume's of Mens Professional pool tours here in the US....Good luck!

The women have a tour (WPBA), Coke might be intrested in sponsoring them. Having a company involved in pool in any way is a big thing IMO. Johnnyt

Island Drive
09-24-2010, 06:12 AM
How do you know your Coke cost is minimal, and how does your cost compare to national account pricing? It's hard to say that it really doesn't help your bottom line unless you give them a call and actually hear what they have to say. I’ve heard from a couple room owners that you might save up to $10 for a 5 gallon bag of syrup. If you purchase 100 bags a year, that’s $1,000. Not a bad savings for a membership with the BCA.

Give $380 and get what? Just 8-9 yrs ago room membership was $150 and membership numbers were dropping drastically since the move to CO from IA, why, no bang for your buck.
Guarantee to get your money back, boy this could be a fiasco, I've called the BCA quite a few times in the last two years and never talked to a live person, only left messages that were never returned.
I just called the ph number on the guy handling this program, seems to be tied with Bowling? not sure, is he the guy to refund your money if matters go south???
BCA room members have not realized benefits thru membership in the past and I would be surprised if many prior/no longer BCA room members would reup their membership because of this program, time will tell.
Also, what are the annual dues for Non-Profit Recreation centers and are they too able to be part of this program? Their annual dues used to be $60 8-9 yrs ago, does this also apply to their Plus membership level?
Time will tell.
I always wondered why the BCA didn't somehow get on the Color of Money bandwagon when Paul Neuman died? I attended a board meeting in Boulder CO a couple yrs ago, they talked about it. Here was a movie that alone had more impact on increasing play than ANY other entitiy, yet the BCA never rode that horse why????
The industry of player and the industry of the BCA have different mindsets, too bad they don't sleep together.
The BCA has the potential to change the industry of play yet don't. They actually act like a pool player, allot of wasted talent and an unwillingness to get involved in matters outside of home market.

elvicash
09-24-2010, 06:17 AM

Pepsi Products like Mt Dew I bet Coke wants to be exclusive. Lot of money in that soda water.

Maybe Coke will pick up a pro player and sponsor them they could wear a Coke shirt and Coke could be seen now that would add a little weight to this announcement.

BTW -- Two great Indy players (George Breedlove and Brian Groce) came out of Mr and Miss Cue a pool room on the south side, prior it being a pool room that facility bottled Coke syrup a coincidence maybe maybe not.....

No matter it is great see that pool is on a large corporate companys radar such as Coke I think it is very positive and I hope that it turns into mre.

CocoboloCowboy
09-24-2010, 06:18 AM
Time wil tell if any of this trickles down to the player level.

Island Drive
09-24-2010, 06:30 AM
[QUOTE=Tom In Cincy;2624889]Anything that can help the bottom line for a pool hall to save money is OK in my book.

......................-$380 + many promises

Island Drive
09-24-2010, 06:36 AM

You should of said "until the BC eH learns how to support the sport that creates sales of pool products, pool will continue to be a small money sport''

Qstix
09-24-2010, 06:41 AM
I don't see how this is a bad thing.

Even if it brings an additional .50 cents a month to pool hall owners, that's .50 cents they wouldn't have had right?

pooltchr
09-24-2010, 08:18 AM
I don't see how this is a bad thing.

Even if it brings an additional .50 cents a month to pool hall owners, that's .50 cents they wouldn't have had right?

Exactly. I can't believe anyone who cares about pool would even question this announcement. Saying it's not enough, or it doesn't help that much, or how will it help "me" is just nuts. This is good for the pool room owners, good for the BCA, and good for Coke.

Bottom line is that Coke doesn't need pool. The fact that they are looking at our sport at all should have everyone thrilled.

kwitcherbichin and appreciate the fact that our sport is getting some long overdue attention!

Steve

CallShotCowboy
09-24-2010, 10:29 AM
Give $380 and get what?

To just scratch the surface for the cost of the annual membership they get:

national account pricing on coke, and coke products (much cheaper that any single room owner is current receiving)
quarterly rebate checks from Sysco Food
the best possible price from the largest merchant service provider - First Data
next to nothing cost for Web site templates and hosting services
free access into the BCA Expo

AND the BCA is providing a $$$ back Guarantee - sounds like a win-win for everyone involved.

I still want to hear from some actual room operators that have called to see what they would actually save???

macguy
09-24-2010, 11:26 AM
This is a money back gurantee from the Billiard Congress of America. If the pool room doesn't save AT LEAST the amount of their dues, then the Billiard Congress of America will give them their dues back....

Not a bad deal.

Pool associated with Coca-Cola in any way shape or form, is a GOOD DEAL and like others have said, it could hold promises for the future but right now, it's GREAT for pool rooms.

I'll be so glad to get back to asking for a coke! :D

I don't think it has anything to do with any sponsorship, it is just a business deal. They have deals with schools to sell their products. In our local hospital I noticed you can't buy anything but Pepsi product be it vending machines or the cafeteria. They make deals with any business that is willing if there is buck to be made, but I doubt they would allow the use of their name in any promotions or get involved with sponsorship. We can hope though.

lodini
09-24-2010, 11:28 AM
"The partnership with Coca-Cola, First Data and Sysco Foodservices is the direct result of BankShot Entertainment. BankShot Entertainment is the new marketing and activation division of the Billiard Congress of America."

This is actually the most important part of the article. This means there is a new group dedicated to forming corporate partnerships. Only good things can come :)

JamisonNeu
09-24-2010, 01:54 PM
Well there is really a great possibity of this leading towards something bigger later. It just has to be taken advantage of by the pool halls now. We need better prices in our pool halls to get future business, and this is a great step towards that.

Man if I walk into a pool hall and they say they are serving pepsi then I am leaving.

supergreenman
09-24-2010, 02:02 PM
Tell Big companys to stop shipping jobs to Canada and Mexico......:thumbup:

Maybe we should shut off the pipelines at the border and let you freeze.

__________________ <-------insert appropriate derogatory remark here

pooltchr
09-24-2010, 03:10 PM
If you go to a pool room and order a Pepsi, and they tell you they only sell Coke products, do you not drink anything that night?
Which pool room is paying their help $25 per hour? I want a job with them!
Do you really think any bar is going to throw out the last of their pepsi product, or do you think they will sell out before the conversion?

Go to Atlanta, go into any bar or restaurant or pool room and order a pepsi...I can tell you what their answer will be. Coke owns Atlanta, and nobody seems to be going out of business because of it.

Nobody is going to lose that kind of money switching soft drink suppliers. If they are, they have much bigger problems than "Coke or Pepsi".

Steve

Island Drive
09-24-2010, 03:53 PM
What's ironic, it could very easily be a savvy salesman that was looking for new territory and put the deal together, so now, and in Coke's office letter it reads just the opposite "Coke inks deal with BCA" :)....and life goes on.:)
I hope you all realize I'm joking....:thumbup:

book collector
09-24-2010, 04:04 PM
"The partnership with Coca-Cola, First Data and Sysco Foodservices is the direct result of BankShot Entertainment. BankShot Entertainment is the new marketing and activation division of the Billiard Congress of America."

This is actually the most important part of the article. This means there is a new group dedicated to forming corporate partnerships. Only good things can come :)

Why did they name it Bankshot? Only a small percentage of players play banks.

macguy
09-24-2010, 04:23 PM
If you go to a pool room and order a Pepsi, and they tell you they only sell Coke products, do you not drink anything that night?
Which pool room is paying their help $25 per hour? I want a job with them!
Do you really think any bar is going to throw out the last of their pepsi product, or do you think they will sell out before the conversion?

Go to Atlanta, go into any bar or restaurant or pool room and order a pepsi...I can tell you what their answer will be. Coke owns Atlanta, and nobody seems to be going out of business because of it.

Nobody is going to lose that kind of money switching soft drink suppliers. If they are, they have much bigger problems than "Coke or Pepsi".

Steve
If you are going in a pool room and spending a lot of money, and it easy to do. It is not too much to ask for them to have more then one brand. This is not Europe where you walk in a store and see no more then two brands of anything, take it or leave it. This is the US we want what we want. I don't want someone telling me what I have to buy or as an owner what I have to sell.

pooltchr
09-24-2010, 05:38 PM
I don't want someone telling me what I have to buy or as an owner what I have to sell.

Nobody is telling any owner what to do. They are offering them a business opportunity. Each owner will determine what is best for his situation.

This is nothing new. Go into a Pizza Hut and order a Coke. It ain't going to happen! Coke and Pepsi both work exclusive deals all the time with bars, restaurants, festivals, movie theaters, and many other businesses that sell soft drinks.

Go to a local NFL game, and I bet the stadium concessions offer one or the other, but not both.

It's the way business is done. If you want a choice, go to the 7-11 and pay 2 bucks for a 20 oz bottle of whatever you prefer.

Steve

smoooothstroke
09-24-2010, 06:22 PM
Don't touch the stuff myself but..This is a big improvement over cigs and alcohol.

cuesmith
09-24-2010, 06:39 PM
Nobody is telling any owner what to do. They are offering them a business opportunity. Each owner will determine what is best for his situation.

This is nothing new. Go into a Pizza Hut and order a Coke. It ain't going to happen! Coke and Pepsi both work exclusive deals all the time with bars, restaurants, festivals, movie theaters, and many other businesses that sell soft drinks.

Go to a local NFL game, and I bet the stadium concessions offer one or the other, but not both.

It's the way business is done. If you want a choice, go to the 7-11 and pay 2 bucks for a 20 oz bottle of whatever you prefer.

Steve

Exactly, it's a way for Coke to try to get an exclusive in a bunch of poolrooms. Nothing more! If you think this is the first step in Coke sponsoring anything pool related, you're very naive! I wish it was, but frankly it's just part of the rivalry between Coke & Pepsi. I'd much rather see them post just a one time $10,000 added money for a pool tournament than something like this. This is just to sell more Coke and replace Pepsi in some of the poolrooms who currently carry Pepsi products. It's almost a slap in the face for pool, because I'd bet my last dollar they have no interest in "POOL" whatsoever. I hate to sound negative, but I've spent many years as a retailer of Coke & Pepsi products and it's just the way they operate.

pooltchr
09-24-2010, 08:51 PM
Exactly, it's a way for Coke to try to get an exclusive in a bunch of poolrooms. Nothing more! If you think this is the first step in Coke sponsoring anything pool related, you're very naive! I wish it was, but frankly it's just part of the rivalry between Coke & Pepsi. I'd much rather see them post just a one time $10,000 added money for a pool tournament than something like this. This is just to sell more Coke and replace Pepsi in some of the poolrooms who currently carry Pepsi products. It's almost a slap in the face for pool, because I'd bet my last dollar they have no interest in "POOL" whatsoever. I hate to sound negative, but I've spent many years as a retailer of Coke & Pepsi products and it's just the way they operate.

And this is an opportunity to offer a money saving option to pool room owners. Of course, Coke wants to sell more product. That's why they are in business, and this is a marketing idea.

I'm so sorry that they didn't decide to throw ten grand out there for a pool tournament that might actually generate a couple of hundred bucks in extra sales, just so some pool player can put some more money in his pocket.

Why do you suppose there is no interest in sponsoring pool tournaments? Do you think it might have something to do with a limited return on investment?

If you want big business to sponsor pool tournaments, here's the simple answer. Offer something of value in return. They aren't going to do it out of the goodness of their hearts. You have to offer something of value in return for their sponsorship. And what value can any pool tournament offer to any major corporation?

The BCA offered them something in return (customers), and Coke said ok. The BCA now has something to offer their members to encourage more rooms to join. The room owners have a new way to save some money. And if saving money helps a struggling pool room to stay open, then there is the benefit for you....you have a place to play pool..

Steve

cuesmith
09-24-2010, 09:19 PM
And this is an opportunity to offer a money saving option to pool room owners. Of course, Coke wants to sell more product. That's why they are in business, and this is a marketing idea.

I'm so sorry that they didn't decide to throw ten grand out there for a pool tournament that might actually generate a couple of hundred bucks in extra sales, just so some pool player can put some more money in his pocket.

Why do you suppose there is no interest in sponsoring pool tournaments? Do you think it might have something to do with a limited return on investment?

If you want big business to sponsor pool tournaments, here's the simple answer. Offer something of value in return. They aren't going to do it out of the goodness of their hearts. You have to offer something of value in return for their sponsorship. And what value can any pool tournament offer to any major corporation?

The BCA offered them something in return (customers), and Coke said ok. The BCA now has something to offer their members to encourage more rooms to join. The room owners have a new way to save some money. And if saving money helps a struggling pool room to stay open, then there is the benefit for you....you have a place to play pool..

Steve

Maybe if Coke was to market it right, something like the Miller Lite commercials done with Mizerak, they'd see some return, but they want it handed to them on a silver platter. All they want is the business they can take away

from their rival, Pepsi! The rest is a pipe dream! The room owners won't see any significant saving and the "trickle down" theory is a joke! I really don't want to argue this with you or anyone else, I do not want to sound negative

either, but I've spent 25 years in the business and know how they play the game! I just find it hard to read the "smoke dreams" people are imagining, when I've seen it all before!

If they were to sponsor a tournament and do a TV commercial featuring some of the top players shooting remarkable shots and advertising the event as well, then maybe it would be a win-win situation. This way all they're

attempting to do is increase their market share with no real benefit to the sport whatsoever and some people seem to think they're going to be pools savior!

nathandumoulin
09-24-2010, 09:56 PM
Maybe if Coke was to market it right, something like the Miller Lite commercials done with Mizerak, they'd see some return, but they want it handed to them on a silver platter. All they want is the business they can take away

from their rival, Pepsi! The rest is a pipe dream! The room owners won't see any significant saving and the "trickle down" theory is a joke! I really don't want to argue this with you or anyone else, I do not want to sound negative

either, but I've spent 25 years in the business and know how they play the game! I just find it hard to read the "smoke dreams" people are imagining, when I've seen it all before!

If they were to sponsor a tournament and do a TV commercial featuring some of the top players shooting remarkable shots and advertising the event as well, then maybe it would be a win-win situation. This way all they're

attempting to do is increase their market share with no real benefit to the sport whatsoever and some people seem to think they're going to be pools savior!

Why do people seem to think it's necessary that a company give something and expect nothing in return? Of course Coke wants to increase sales. That's the whole purpose of running a business. Like it or not, capitalism rules the western hemisphere. Expecting something for nothing from a conglomerate is completely unrealistic.

In the same respect, expecting a company to come along and outright change the state of the game is equally blind sighted. It will take a large amount of baby steps to drag this game out of the gutter. These baby steps will be made by numerous individuals and companies, in very small increments.

This deal with Coke is not our games savior, but it is a step in the right direction. A large company thinks they can profit from us, and I seriously hope their suspicion proves true. If they can make sufficient margins, then they may be willing to invest money at a later date.

I honestly believe that pool has one huge flaw. It's not the gambling that people always rant about. It's the obscenely large number of people who have nothing positive to say except drag others down. The day people start supporting each other and being positive is the day more companies like Coke decide to side with us.

justadub
09-25-2010, 06:37 AM
Why do people seem to think it's necessary that a company give something and expect nothing in return? Of course Coke wants to increase sales. That's the whole purpose of running a business. Like it or not, capitalism rules the western hemisphere. Expecting something for nothing from a conglomerate is completely unrealistic.

In the same respect, expecting a company to come along and outright change the state of the game is equally blind sighted. It will take a large amount of baby steps to drag this game out of the gutter. These baby steps will be made by numerous individuals and companies, in very small increments.

This deal with Coke is not our games savior, but it is a step in the right direction. A large company thinks they can profit from us, and I seriously hope their suspicion proves true. If they can make sufficient margins, then they may be willing to invest money at a later date.

I honestly believe that pool has one huge flaw. It's not the gambling that people always rant about. It's the obscenely large number of people who have nothing positive to say except drag others down. The day people start supporting each other and being positive is the day more companies like Coke decide to side with us.

Tap, Tap, Tap :thumbup:

As Nathan and others have pointed out, this is but a small step in the right direction. Nothing more. But... having Coke as a sponsor/corporate partner even in a limited sense could make it easier to entice other corporate entities to partner up in the future. Coke has HUGE name recognition. If/when pool organizations try to create other corporate partnerships and/or sponsorships, they can cite the fact that Coke is already onboard. That association alone is very valuable.

Who knows, perhaps Coke may become more involved if there ever is a valid avenue for them to increase their participation. Currently there is no viable national professional tour for either the men or the ladies, at least not of any stature. If the pro's get organized (sigh) perhaps there will be more opportunites for greater corporate sponsorship.

Why this has to be perceived as anything but positive is beyond me, but folks who do nothing but complain are a mystery to me as well. I suppose it makes them feel better in some manner, dragging others down.

Hopefully pool won't squander this opportunity with Coke, and use it to grow the sport.

JamisonNeu
09-25-2010, 08:41 AM
Ok for the love of pool will you guys just stop TRYING to talk about this...I mean I am getting some good laughs, but you are making pool hall owners look real bad. Some of these post are borderline proof of brain damage.

pooltchr
09-25-2010, 09:11 AM

Exactly! You got greenies!

Steve

macguy
09-25-2010, 10:08 AM

Steve

I think the point is, Coke would be better served trying to win themselves into the hearts and minds of the pool subculture through sponsorship rather then just trying to strong arm themselves into pool rooms with minuscule incentives. They seem to regard pool rooms as small time and an easy target. I also suspect there is more in this for the BCA through kick backs then for any one pool room. There is no benevolence here, just business. Coke would no more actually want any direct affiliation with pool then any other companies that sponsor every kind of obscure or goofy sport there is but will not come withing a mile of pool. Pool has a stigma and it just does not go away.

dedstroke38
09-25-2010, 10:28 AM
I think the point is, Coke would be better served trying to win themselves into the hearts and minds of the pool subculture through sponsorship rather then just trying to strong arm themselves into pool rooms with minuscule incentives. They seem to regard pool rooms as small time and an easy target. I also suspect there is more in this for the BCA through kick backs then for any one pool room. There is no benevolence here, just business. Coke would no more actually want any direct affiliation with pool then any other companies that sponsor every kind of obscure or goofy sport there is but will not come withing a mile of pool. Pool has a stigma and it just does not go away.

It does have a bit of a stigma but it's the constant negativity like seen in this thread that causes it to continue. It's not like the general public honestly gives a s#$!. We are the ones letting the stigma continue by continually griping about how we won't get anywhere because of it. It's a self fulfilling prophecy that we seem to use to continue in this "comfortable lull" our sport is in. The bottom line is though this initially is a small move it is a POSITIVE move. Pool isn't a target...Coke isn't taking anything from us. It's a business moved formed with a relationship. Relationship meaning there is simple efforts in helping each other out so EVERYONE gains. We certainly have nothing to lose!

OTB
09-25-2010, 10:29 AM
I dont agree with how great people think this afiliation is, that is my opinion, did i say i was boycotting Coke Cola or BCA itself or league system, NO......If you want to " Mark One Pool Room " off from your Bucket list because they dont share your personal opinion.....better off with out you. Can not force your views on people by freeze outs , boycotting , etc............Everyone has a opinion that is what makes this Country proud. The rooms and buisnesses you support in america are your right.:rolleyes:

Mark One Pool Room off my Bucket List! There, Mix a little Coke with bad attitude and you actually lose money.

It makes me absolutely sick how so many people choose to Hate First and ask questions later.

A HUGE Corporate Sponsor is willing to put their toes in the water. It can go two ways from here; We can show overwelming support and let the sponsor know how much they are appreciated which could result in even more sponsorship, OR, We can ***** and complain that it's not enough (Because that's the easiest thing to do) and burn another bridge.

I think we need to create a "Good For the Sport" list, much like the "Good Action List".

chefjeff
09-25-2010, 10:29 AM
(snip)

Does Coca Cola, a multi-billion dollar company with endless resourses (snip)

Resources are never infinite. Desires are (http://fee.org/library/books/economics-in-one-lesson/), bit resources are ALWAYS limited. To forget that is to misjudge Coke's actions.

fyi,

Jeff Livingston

justadub
09-25-2010, 10:43 AM
I think the point is, Coke would be better served trying to win themselves into the hearts and minds of the pool subculture through sponsorship rather then just trying to strong arm themselves into pool rooms with minuscule incentives.

Eaxactly why would Coke or any other company want to win themselves into the hearts and minds of poolplayers? To what end? What does that accomplish for them? They are in business to do business.

And what is this "strong-arming" that you speak of? I do not recall going into ANY place that sells fountain soda and seeing that place offer both Coke and Pepsi. EVER. If it occurs, it must be rare. That goes both ways, with Coke and with Pepsi. That is how their business works.

They seem to regard pool rooms as small time and an easy target.

Again, what do you mean by "an easy target"? That pool-room owner/operators aren't qualified to make sound business decisions, and that Coke is somehow taking advantage of them?

I also suspect there is more in this for the BCA through kick backs then for any one pool room. There is no benevolence here, just business. Coke would no more actually want any direct affiliation with pool then any other companies that sponsor every kind of obscure or goofy sport there is but will not come withing a mile of pool. Pool has a stigma and it just does not go away.

This so-called stigma may very well exist, and it may not. But time changes everything and everyone, and marketing executives for major corporations aren't stupid. If they see an opportunity to expand their customer base by any association that isn't going to embarrass them, they will certainly consider it, no matter what happened in the past.

Is Coke some sort of savior, of course not. But they are also not a bad guy in this scenario. Sheesh.

cuesmith
09-25-2010, 11:27 AM
It does have a bit of a stigma but it's the constant negativity like seen in this thread that causes it to continue. It's not like the general public honestly gives a s#$!. We are the ones letting the stigma continue by continually griping about how we won't get anywhere because of it. It's a self fulfilling prophecy that we seem to use to continue in this "comfortable lull" our sport is in. The bottom line is though this initially is a small move it is a POSITIVE move. Pool isn't a target...Coke isn't taking anything from us. It's a business moved formed with a relationship. Relationship meaning there is simple efforts in helping each other out so EVERYONE gains. We certainly have nothing to lose!

What about those of us who work for Pepsi, or own stock in Pepsico. Someone ALWAYS loses if someone else gains!

dedstroke38
09-25-2010, 11:52 AM
What about those of us who work for Pepsi, or own stock in Pepsico. Someone ALWAYS loses if someone else gains!

Lol! Well they have nothing to do with this relationship! That's at a personal level and has absolutely nothing to do with this deal or the subject at hand. I'm sure over on the Pepsi forums they are b#@chin right now about this deal :rolleyes:

pooltchr
09-25-2010, 01:06 PM

You should be giving your sales dept hell for letting Coke beat them out on this deal!

Listen, people. This isn't the end of the world, nor is it the dawn of a new age. A major corporation recognized an opportunity to expand their business through a relationship with a billiard organization.

Nobody is going to force any pool room owner to go along with this. They still have the freedom to decide what they will and will not sell.

Just see it for what it is...a business deal that happens to include pool room owners who choose to participate. It's not going to save pool from the negative image that we see daily....and even in this thread.

I'm sure the execs at Coke would love to hear poolplayers crying "Why didn't they just give us pool players some money? Why are they dealing with the BCA?" I'm sure that would encourage them to forget all about this deal, and just dump a fortune into the pockets of a bunch of ungrateful pool players. And if that were to happen, someone would complain that it wasn't enough, or it went to the wrong place!

Let's think about what we as pool players do to support our sport. There are several regional tours around the country, most sponsored by cue manufacturers. Pick just one, let's say Lucasi. How many players on that tour have switched from their old cue to a Lucasi because of their sponsorship??? Viking tour???? Do we really make sponsorship worthwhile for these companies?

Back when Camel sponsored men's pool, how many smokers switched brands because of their sponsorship?

If we want big companies to sponsor pool, we have to be willing to support those sponsors. And here we are seeing exactly what they might expect if they did.

Steve

Steve

chefjeff
09-25-2010, 01:08 PM

Not true. That's not how the economy works.

Economics is dynamic, not a zero sum game. (http://fee.org/library/books/economics-in-one-lesson/)

Jeff Livingston

DogsPlayingPool
09-25-2010, 02:13 PM
I don't see this business arrangement changing professional pool at all, now or in the future. It sounds like it may be a good deal for room owners on their soft drink purchases but that's as far as it extends. It certainly will not prove to be the panacea for what ails pool played on the professional level.

This is just a typical deal the soda companies make all the time in pursuit of market share. They've had these sorts of deals in place with all kinds of businesses for decades. Movie theater chains is a good example. Coke and Pepsi have arrangements with various chains for exclusive rights to sell product in the chain's theaters. I haven't heard of any improvement in the lives of the thousands of starving actors in the world resulting from any of these arrangements. And I doubt the ushers have gotten a pension plan out of it either.

Wish I was wrong. :D

JamisonNeu
09-25-2010, 03:23 PM
It is really simple with Coke taking a look at us that brings the others to our door. Other company's that may follow in Coke's footsteps. Company's that may see another way to help...Company's that could make a different contibution...If we help Coke there is someone else right behind them!!!

Let's show the corporate world what being a friend to pool will get them. Wouldn't it be something for billiards if Cokes profits went up...?? Can you imagine a thousand company's all trying to get a piece of the new pie...

COKE FTW!!!!

If you can't see how this can help pool I want you to quit playing pool.

AuntyDan
09-25-2010, 11:00 PM
....hey Bob, you want to go shoot pool or you want to go rip up the gravel pit with the quad.

Now THAT people would pay good money to see :)

JoeyA
09-26-2010, 06:55 AM

Nathan,

You have hit the nail on the head and drove it completely through the board. Your post deserves more than a tap, tap, tap and some rep.

You articulated it very well but I don't blame the poor state of affairs in pool because of a few people who have nothing positive to say but I hope that those who are responsible for the negativity in this forum will look at themselves more closely and consider looking at things in a more positive fashion.

I'm not saying that people shouldn't have a right to their opinion if it detracts from our sport. It takes all kinds to make the world go 'round.

It is up to each man to work out his own salvation.

I like your post a LOT.

Island Drive
09-26-2010, 09:57 AM
[QUOTE=JoeyA;2628683]Nathan,

You have hit the nail on the head and drove it completely through the board. Your post deserves more than a tap, tap, tap and some rep.

You articulated it very well but I don't blame the poor state of affairs in pool because of a few people who have nothing positive to say but I hope that those who are responsible for the negativity in this forum will look at themselves more closely and consider looking at things in a more positive fashion.

I'm not saying that people shouldn't have a right to their opinion if it detracts from our sport. It takes all kinds to make the world go 'round.

It is up to each man to work out his own salvation.

Allot of good points;
What I'd like to know, is there a budgetary expense now incurred for the BCA office to implement this program? Which BCA employee put this deal together or was it board approved?

Until the BCA implements a program that will stimulate player increase, its business as usual, USUAL has a gooooooooood 20yr+ run going right now.

CallShotCowboy
09-28-2010, 07:00 AM
There have been some great post (Thanks Nathan) - but I am still curious to hear some feedback from actual Room Owners that have called BankShot or the Billiard Congress and see if this program will help them.

Island Drive
09-28-2010, 08:30 AM
There have been some great post (Thanks Nathan) - but I am still curious to hear some feedback from actual Room Owners that have called BankShot or the Billiard Congress and see if this program will help them.

I would be surprised if they get many calls. BCA track record with improving player numbers at their member rooms has not been warm and fuzzy for decades. They went from $150 room membership per year with membership decreasing since I left the office in 2002-03. What justifies charging room owners over double to be members, is it to HELP the room owners or the bottom line at the BCA bank account, the latter has been the norm and it would take an agressive president to change the thinking on the mfg side. What's ironic, if they increase play they would sell more, am I'm wrong.