PDA

View Full Version : I've noticed something...but maybe nothing

ratnip
09-23-2010, 04:17 PM
I have noticed that top pros will hold cue with non shooting hand, in a specific area, and swing it into their shooting hand, in primarily the same specific area of thier cue.

I have noticed SVB do this multiple times as if he's trying to get comfortable. I percieve that once it hit's his hand in the "sweet spot" and stance is good to go, he shoots.

Some I've noticed will hold it by joint with non shooting hand and swing over.

I've never heard of this in a PSR (pre shot routine) but has anyone incorporated this? Noticed it?

Let me know and thanks.

Jay P.

junkbond
09-23-2010, 04:30 PM
Some people, even non-pros, do this to allow their shooting hand to "breathe" a little, so the sweat dries up.

BRKNRUN
09-23-2010, 06:23 PM
I belive you noticed something........

when your arm hangs at your side, your hand faces your body at a slight angle....it is not facing directly at your side...nor is it facing straight back....unless you force it into that position,

By hanging your arm at your side and then swinging the cue into your grip hand....It sets the cue at a "natural" angle (accross) your body....Then....when your move your front foot forward off to the side of the aim line....and/or your back foot back along the aim line....The cue then ends up smack on the aim line....and your back arm (being in its natural position) folds up naturally causing a straight stoke.....

Nothing forced in the set up...It all happens naturally...

It is interesting that you brought this up....I have actually been working on this exact pre-shot routine since I recently saw a clip of Thorsten and Mike talking about Thorstons "alingment" method.

I liked the info so much I ran with it and came up with a pre shot routine...so far I like the consitency....I will like it even better when it becomes second nature and I stop "cheking myself" and lose focus on my shot.

ratnip
09-24-2010, 11:03 AM
BRKNRUN

when your arm hangs at your side, your hand faces your body at a slight angle....it is not facing directly at your side...nor is it facing straight back....unless you force it into that position,

By hanging your arm at your side and then swinging the cue into your grip hand....It sets the cue at a "natural" angle (accross) your body....Then....when your move your front foot forward off to the side of the aim line....and/or your back foot back along the aim line....The cue then ends up smack on the aim line....and your back arm (being in its natural position) folds up naturally causing a straight stoke.....

It is interesting that you brought this up....I have actually been working on this exact pre-shot routine since I recently saw a clip of Thorsten and Mike talking about Thorstons "alingment" method.

I liked the info so much I ran with it and came up with a pre shot routine...so far I like the consitency....I will like it even better when it becomes second nature and I stop "cheking myself" and lose focus on my shot.

Thanks for the response. Did you mean MIKA? He's got some great fundamentals.

Please keep me posted on any further developments with your PSR.

Jay P.

Marie's husband
09-24-2010, 11:34 AM

Wow, this is interesting that this subject came up because I was going to ask somewhat the same question today. last night I did this a couple of times by mistake and when I wasnt following my shot routine. My shots were lining up great and it did really feel natural so I was wondering if it was just a fluke or was this an actual method used by some players. Thanks for the above explanation, that does explain it pretty well.

stljohnny
09-24-2010, 12:25 PM
Thanks for the response. Did you mean MIKA? He's got some great fundamentals.

Please keep me posted on any further developments with your PSR.

Jay P.

No he meant Mike - as in Massey. There's a youtube video with thorsten and massey talking about how to line up for shots. I can't get to YT right now (at work), but I've seen it - if you search for "thorsten massey" i'm sure you'll find it.

As far as "textbook" fundamentals, it's tough to find anyone better than Thorsten. Jasmin Ouchan is a close 2nd though.

Mika, while an excellent player, has what a lot of people consider to be some less than desired mechanics. elbow dropping, stick waving, etc... but obviously it's no hindrance, i mean... it's f'n Mika! haha

ratnip
09-24-2010, 03:57 PM
No he meant Mike - as in Massey. There's a youtube video with thorsten and massey talking about how to line up for shots. I can't get to YT right now (at work), but I've seen it - if you search for "thorsten massey" i'm sure you'll find it.

As far as "textbook" fundamentals, it's tough to find anyone better than Thorsten. Jasmin Ouchan is a close 2nd though.

Mika, while an excellent player, has what a lot of people consider to be some less than desired mechanics. elbow dropping, stick waving, etc... but obviously it's no hindrance, i mean... it's f'n Mika! haha

Thanks Johnny. I will look this weekend when I get a minute.

Jay P.