PDA

View Full Version : Do you clean your shaft during play? Using what?

mincho
09-23-2010, 10:52 PM
I'm just curious if anyone has items to clean their shaft during play. I see pros carry large white towels but that's excessive. After a while the chalk builds up on my hands like crazy and on the cue. Also if I cue over the rubber pockets I tend to get streaks on my cue.

Any suggestions?

ctyhntr
09-23-2010, 11:04 PM
Go to the nearest dollar store and buy a three pack of microfiber dish drying towels for $2. Clip one to the cue case, keep a spare in the car, and give the last one to a friend.

mincho
09-23-2010, 11:08 PM
Go to the nearest dollar store and buy a three pack of microfiber dish drying towels for $2. Clip one to the cue case, keep a spare in the car, and give the last one to a friend.

Sweet.. sounds like a decent option!

spanky79
09-23-2010, 11:09 PM
i use a dry magic eraser and a piece of leather

DogsPlayingPool
09-23-2010, 11:12 PM
That's exactly what I use - a washcloth sized micro fiber towel. Wipe down the shaft with it periodically. I also use hand sanitizer (not on the shaft but on my hands) to keep my hands clean of excess chalk and dirt from the cloth without having to leave the table and hold up play.

Really that's about it for keeping my shaft clean - at the table or not. I've not yet put any substance on a shaft to clean it.

conetip
09-23-2010, 11:53 PM
I use paper towels/napkins.

SK Custom Cues
09-24-2010, 12:09 AM
I love these (http://www.shoprite.com/pd/ScotchBrite/Heavy-Duty-Scour-Pads/3-ct/05113150218/) :grin:

JoeyInCali
09-24-2010, 12:20 AM
Dr Z shaft pack

Fast Lenny
09-24-2010, 12:31 AM
I usually keep my shaft clean using Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, they work great and are not very abrasive, I also use them on my white sneakers. When I am playing and its a long session or somewhat sticky I wash my hands and face and the paper towel I dry my hands with I use on the shaft and have a dry one to dry it off, simple as that. :)

RiverCity
09-24-2010, 12:57 AM
I usually keep my shaft clean using Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, they work great and are a natural type sponge so they are not abrasive, I also use them on my white sneakers. When I am playing and its a long session or somewhat sticky I wash my hands and face and the paper towel I dry my hands with I use on the shaft and have a dry one to dry it off, simple as that. :)
Lenny, I normally just make jokes about people wanting squeaky clean shafts and resorting to "magic erasers". But you are spreading misinformation here.
They are not natural, they ARE abrasive, and by adding liquid of any kind you are risking further damage to your cue strictly for looks.
Magic Erasers are melamine foam. Google it.
Chuck

RunoutJJ
09-24-2010, 01:04 AM
use a Magic eraser prior to match or tournament play. After you start your match use a damp cloth to wipe the chalk of your shaft and then use a micro fiber towel (with a firm buffing) to take off any residual moisture and chalk build-up off of the shaft :thumbup:

greyghost
09-24-2010, 01:10 AM
I use paper towels/napkins.

YUP....

besides clean hands that don't have gymnastics chalk on it.......

damp paper towel (NOT WET) and buff on shaft till hot....

dry paper towel and buff till hot....

shaft now feels brand new....

no magic eraser, no scotch brite, no voodoo or any other kind of black magic

works perfect,
-Grey Ghost-

ctyhntr
09-24-2010, 01:29 AM
I used to used Magic Eraser after each season, but no longer unless its really really gross. I'm now under the impression that the more you 'touch' the shaft, more harm than good.

For really dirty shafts, I agree with using Magic Eraser with a little dab of alcohol. Then buffed with 2000, 4000, and 8000 grit sandpaper before burnishing with a suede side patch of leather.

I usually keep my shaft clean using Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, they work great and are a natural type sponge so they are not abrasive, I also use them on my white sneakers. When I am playing and its a long session or somewhat sticky I wash my hands and face and the paper towel I dry my hands with I use on the shaft and have a dry one to dry it off, simple as that. :)

Fast Lenny
09-24-2010, 01:42 AM
Lenny, I normally just make jokes about people wanting squeaky clean shafts and resorting to "magic erasers". But you are spreading misinformation here.
They are not natural, they ARE abrasive, and by adding liquid of any kind you are risking further damage to your cue strictly for looks.
Magic Erasers are melamine foam. Google it.
Chuck
I have used these magic erasers for about 2 years now and have had no problems, I was under the impression that they were natural but after reading I see they are not so thanks for the info. It says from what I read it is slightly abrasive but never noticed anything on my cue shaft other then the residue of the sponge. My shafts are straight and clean, I will continue to use it every few months when the shaft is blued.

real bartram
09-24-2010, 01:46 AM
YUP....

works perfect,
-Grey Ghost-

i use wet paper towel

Blue Hog ridr
09-24-2010, 01:49 AM
SK, I hope you posted the link to Scotch Brite with tongue in cheek.
Tell us the benefit of using as scouring pad on a shaft.

marek
09-24-2010, 01:53 AM
YUP....

works perfect,
-Grey Ghost-

Same here.. :wink:

JimS
09-24-2010, 03:59 AM
During a match I wash my hands, dry w/a paper towel and then use that towel to wipe the shafts, IF they become sticky, and use a dry towel between turns at the table.... in the unlikely scenairo where I happen to miss. :groucho:

thintowin
09-24-2010, 04:27 AM
IN the old days one would use a fresh dollar bill. Dleaning products and stuff are fine I guess but I personally don't leave home without a clean cotton bar towel.

EDRJR
09-24-2010, 04:29 AM
I use 3M's microfiber eyeglass cloths. I bought a bunch at Walmart a few years ago for $3 each. They are approximately 6x7 inches and fit nicely in the case. The catalog number is #9021-100. I figured if it won't scratch plastic eyeglass lenses, it is safe on a cue. The worst part is not being able to use fabric softeners when washing them. I wipe my entire cue including the tip before putting it away. I use larger microfiber cloths on them at home.

Winston846
09-24-2010, 06:11 AM
A damp Magic Eraser followed by a dry paper towel has always worked fine for me.

Black-Balled
09-24-2010, 06:18 AM
YUP....

works perfect,
-Grey Ghost-

MEe too! WAsh hands, use papertowels to rub shaft. I prob do it every 2hrs, or between sets in tourney.

I need the blue shaft power. I don't know how people can see the end of their shaft when it is all clean.

Georgia Boy
09-24-2010, 06:30 AM
During matches I just use a clean dry Bar Towel to wipe it down. Every week I clean it at home just with luke warm water and a towel, dry it off really well then go over with a clean dry towel.

Neil
09-24-2010, 07:11 AM

BRivera
09-24-2010, 07:33 AM
I use a dry pad of Mr. Clean Magic Eraser to clean the chalk resedue off of my shaft. Then immediately wipe it down with a soft dry cloth. Use that same dry cloth after every game and it will stay slick and clean. The Magic eraser will only lift the dirt out and not the wood. Alot of people use those green scowering pads...BIG MISTAKE! That will take off the wood just like sand paper. You'll see after a while when the farrule is no longer flush with the wood. MR. CLEAN MAGIC ERASER RULES!!!! And they're located in your local grocery store. :)

8Ball48043
09-24-2010, 07:44 AM
I found these little 'burnishers' some time ago. Made by 3M, but much gentler than the green ones commonly for sale in the grocery stores.

I have a supply. PM if interested in trying some.

ShootingRazbone
09-24-2010, 07:58 AM
I just use my T-shirt, unless it's cold out, then I use my sweatshirt.:thumbup: They're going in the wash anyways. If it gets too bad, I will stroke it lightly about 5 times with some 1000 grit paper.

Yeah, I'm "low maintenance".:D

Exactly....+1

Shirt works great. Especially on our tables here. We have those pockets that stick up and the grit on these things is nothing short of ridiculous!

Side note: Does anyone here besides me like a shaft a little dirty. I like the feel of it. If I clean my shaft during play it gets so slick I don't have any control. Anyone?

LeagueShirts
09-24-2010, 08:01 AM
I use my AZB towel, of course! :)

http://leagueshirts.com/sites/default/files/images/wipedown_offer.png

SK Custom Cues
09-24-2010, 08:08 AM
SK, I hope you posted the link to Scotch Brite with tongue in cheek.
Tell us the benefit of using as scouring pad on a shaft.

:thumbup: you bet, buddy......

I never touch my shaft........

really, all this talk about magic eraser, and all this other crap is over kill.....\

if you need to clean it, just use a damp paper towel.

there is no such thing as a clean shaft..... if you play pool with it, it will get blue. get used to it

CocoboloCowboy
09-24-2010, 08:50 AM
I honestly use a piece of “baby flannel” during play to dry my hands, and keep my shaft dry. I also use CUE WAX on my shaft to keep them slick, and also act moister barrier!

greyghost
09-24-2010, 09:04 AM
MEe too! WAsh hands, use papertowels to rub shaft. I prob do it every 2hrs, or between sets in tourney.

I need the blue shaft power. I don't know how people can see the end of their shaft when it is all clean.

I see you are affiliated with the highest degree of shaftdom

THE BLUE POWER SHAFT lol

To quote my friend: " I don't like those paper shafts"

-Grey Ghost-

Fenwick
09-24-2010, 09:40 AM
mcmagic burnisher from McDermott.

DaveK
09-24-2010, 11:13 AM
I just use my T-shirt, unless it's cold out, then I use my sweatshirt.:thumbup: They're going in the wash anyways. If it gets too bad, I will stroke it lightly about 5 times with some 1000 grit paper.

Yeah, I'm "low maintenance".:D

Well done Neil ! I too use my shirt to clean my cue shaft DURING PLAY. I always wear short sleeve shirts, and I pull my left arm into the sleeve then clean the cue while squeezing it in with my elbow joint. Quick and easy. Any black streaks from sliding across pockets are removed with my thumb, and then polished a bit with my sleeve.

A couple of times a year I clean with a magic eraser pad. I have experimented with measuring the effects of sanding and ME-cleaning on the diameter of (cheap house cue) shafts and cannot see any material removal using the ME (sanding effects I can measure, ME I cannot). But do what you think is right, I don't much care about anybodys shaft but my own.

Dave

Blue Hog ridr
09-24-2010, 11:23 AM
I use ME, wax and leather to burnish.
Like one poster mentioned, shooting over a plastic pocket can leave streaks.
If my hands get chalky, I wash them. If by chance the cue gets a bit sticky,
a damp paper towel followed by a dry towel works.

Micro fiber rags work great and a buck at the dollar store.

Ghosst
09-24-2010, 11:40 AM
I don't have to clean the cue that often during play. If it's humid just my hand towel will do. I've cleaned the shafts twice in 15 years, once with a spray-on cleaner (can't recall the name) and once with a magic eraser. The eraser took tons of junk off but I wouldn't use it more than once every few years for fear of how much of the finish it could strip off. Afterward I just finish and seal them with a Q-Wiz.

h2o4170
09-24-2010, 11:47 AM
I recently bought the Q-wiz and it works great.I dont usualy touch the shaft but i was playing in a real hole and it got realy bad,they had the Q-Whiz for sale so I grabbed one and have been telling everyone about them since.

skip
09-24-2010, 11:53 AM
I use butcher wax on all my shafts. This seems to really help to keep them very slick. Just a little wipe down will soft cloth between matches. Your good to go. :wink:

Patrick Johnson
09-24-2010, 12:14 PM

Alcohol swabs are neat (each in its own foil packet), convenient to carry in the pocket of your case (about 1.5 inch square), cheap (about 2 cents each), and do a great job without water (no worries about warping or raising the grain, and your shaft is dry in a few seconds).

pj
chgo

Tbeaux
09-24-2010, 12:43 PM
Your question was "when playing" so...I use a rag to wipe my hands and will use that to wipe the shaft and grip occasionally. Anything more can wait till I'm home and should only be necessary on very rare occasions.

shanis42
09-24-2010, 06:30 PM
I admit I am a sucker for the gimmicky stuff. I came across a Tiger smoother, burnisher.

It is like a micro-mesh abrasive, so I was a little apprehensive at first. You can rinse it off, and reuse it. I wouldnt call it an everyday shaft cleaner, but it does get the shaft SILKY smooth when I use it. Cant be any worse than a magic eraser.

http://www.billiards.com/img/tiger-shaft-cleaner-burnisher_detail.jpg

TheBook
09-25-2010, 08:09 AM
YUP....

works perfect,
-Grey Ghost-

That is the same that I do.

If you hold your cue at a little angle when chalking and the hand with the chalk above the chalk you can minimize the amount of chalk that gets on your hand and shaft. The bridge hand will need to be cleaned occasionally if playing on a dirty table.

GADawg
09-25-2010, 08:40 AM
While playing I use a very slightly damp cloth to wipe down the shaft and butt every few games. Use it on my hands also. Shaft is completely dry less than 30 sec after wiping.

twal
09-25-2010, 08:52 AM
During play is the question.
Usually only a clean paper towl or shirt. Get them wet if needed.
Keep your hands free and wash them after each mact if needed.
If this is an ongoing issue, do all this other prep work with magic butt wipes wax, and leather... and all theses other products the day before :smile:
I really don't mess with my shaft once the touney starts.

JoeW
09-25-2010, 09:09 AM
I admit I am a sucker for the gimmicky stuff. I came across a Tiger smoother, burnisher.

It is like a micro-mesh abrasive, so I was a little apprehensive at first. You can rinse it off, and reuse it. I wouldnt call it an everyday shaft cleaner, but it does get the shaft SILKY smooth when I use it. Cant be any worse than a magic eraser.

This is what I use between shots if I find a dirt build up from rubbing on the table. Seems to work well for me.

I sat behind Johnny Archer during one of his matches at the US Open one year and noticed that he used some sort of wipe just about every time he sat down. It looked about the size of an alcohol wipe but it had some color to it and was quite thin. Apparently they came in a package with several wipes in the package though he only used the one, maybe two, during the whole match.

sfleinen
09-25-2010, 09:48 AM

Alcohol swabs are neat (each in its own foil packet), convenient to carry in the pocket of your case (about 1.5 inch square), cheap (about 2 cents each), and do a great job without water (no worries about warping or raising the grain, and your shaft is dry in a few seconds).

pj
chgo

Patrick:

I agree that the "swab" or "wipe" style of packaging is great -- very convenient!

However, I need to caution you that the very product you show in the image -- of alcohol wipes used for medical reasons (prepping the skin for an injection) -- is NOT "without water" as you say above. Medical skin-prepping wipes are soaked with rubbing alcohol, which is a 70%/30% formulation (70% alcohol, 30% distilled water). If you read the detailed liner of the box (or it may also be shown on the wipes foil package), you'll see this.

A better "alcohol wipes" product is one that is used for electronics, which by definition, cannot have water in it. Here's the product I like to use:

http://hmcelectronics.com/cgi-bin/scripts/product/8591-0033/Tech-Spray-1610-50PK
http://hmcelectronics.com/cat/ss/1610-50PK.jpg

This product is 100% IPA (isopropyl alcohol), and is formulated this way so as to act as what we want the alcohol to be -- a solvent. When alcohol is cut with water, it's no longer a solvent, but an anti-septic instead. That is, unless, the dirt/impurities which the alcohol is intended to clean is also water soluble. With this product, there's no issue with water, because it has none.

Granted, this product might be a little on the expensive side, but it's guaranteed pure anhydrous alcohol -- mandatory in the electronics industry, because 1.) water and electronics don't mix; and 2.) in order to cut soldering flux and TV Tuner spray, the alcohol has to be anhydrous for its solvent ability.

When I use this product with the Magic Eraser, I don't get the "hairiness" that other folks mention, because there's no water in the alcohol to swell and lift the tiny fibers of the wood.

Hope this is helpful!
-Sean

sfleinen
09-25-2010, 09:54 AM
This is what I use between shots if I find a dirt build up from rubbing on the table. Seems to work well for me.

I sat behind Johnny Archer during one of his matches at the US Open one year and noticed that he used some sort of wipe just about every time he sat down. It looked about the size of an alcohol wipe but it had some color to it and was quite thin. Apparently they came in a package with several wipes in the package though he only used the one, maybe two, during the whole match.

Joe:

Those could be one of two things:

McMagic reusable shaft papers:
http://azbmarketplace.com/products/McMagic-22-15.html

...or Nick Varner's "Nick's Edge":
http://nickvarner.com/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=512

Knowing Johnny Archer's long-time friendship with Nick Varner, it's probably the latter.

-Sean

sfleinen
09-25-2010, 10:07 AM

[...]

I have this product as well, but I need to caution folks that this product IS ABRASIVE! And more so than you think! Many of these abrasive shaft care products will use marketing words like "micro-abrasive" and "won't harm your shaft," but a simple test is after you use this product, examine it (the product, that is, not the shaft). That white powder you see that's starting to cake on the product's surface? That's WOOD!

I definitely would not "use it between shots" as another poster mentioned. You use a product like this that frequently, and you'll notice that you'll start to feel the lip of the ferrule where it meets the wood -- which means the shaft wood is getting smaller than the ferrule, a result of the wood being softer than the ferrule material, and wearing down quicker.

Although that Tiger product is a great product for what it does -- quickly getting a really messy shaft in shape -- it's not intended for such frequent use.

Like others have mentioned, use a much more gentle technique instead. Magic Eraser and an anhydrous alcohol wipe (not the medical "prep-the-skin-before-injection" alcohol wipe, which contains water!) is probably the best method that the normal non-cue-repair person can do. Outside of that, some really, really fine sandpaper (1500 grit or finer) or "0000"-grade steel wool (http://homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xlb/R-100212006/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053) are better choices.

Hope this is helpful,
-Sean

lfigueroa
09-25-2010, 11:40 AM
I'm just curious if anyone has items to clean their shaft during play. I see pros carry large white towels but that's excessive. After a while the chalk builds up on my hands like crazy and on the cue. Also if I cue over the rubber pockets I tend to get streaks on my cue.

Any suggestions?

A little 409 on a paper towel works pretty good.

Personally, I think the Mr Clean erasers take too much off.

Lou Figueroa

JoeW
09-25-2010, 12:12 PM
Joe:

Those could be one of two things:

...or Nick Varner's "Nick's Edge":
http://nickvarner.com/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=512

Knowing Johnny Archer's long-time friendship with Nick Varner, it's probably the latter.

-Sean

I recognize the wipe from the photo. It was Nick's Edge. Thanks

Mr. Wiggles
10-11-2010, 06:24 PM
Drink more beer, hence you will visit the bathroom more often and hopefully wash your hands and they won't be so oily and clamy. In bigger events where I might be more nervous I dust my wiping rag with that chalk that come in a bag. Keeps hands smoothe. I know everybody likes a real slick shaft, but it actually bothers me to be that slick, its just not normal for me.

Baxter
10-11-2010, 06:29 PM
I wash my hands, then use the paper towel I used to dry them on the shaft. Follow it with a completely dry paper towel, then the suede side of a piece of leather. Works great for me. Of course, I'm completely anal about keeping my hands clean while I play, so I hardly ever have to clean my shaft. I've been known to wash my hands twice every hour I'm playing. I should probably just get a bottle of Purel to put in my case.