PDA

View Full Version : Do you switch up cues once in a while?

paksat
09-24-2010, 10:14 AM
So my old trusty sneaky pete has usually been a decent player up until recently. All of a sudden the last couple times i've been out to play with it.. blah to say the least. Way to whippy, feeling out balance, all of the above.

I went and got an old players I use to use out of the closet, screwed it together woolah..

Do you any of guys that own multiple cues ever feel like one of them needs a break once in a while from doing all the main "cueing"?

ARROWCRUSHER
09-24-2010, 10:34 AM
I do switch from time to time, but some say it actually doesn't matter what cue you use , it's the person behind the cue. But I myself just feel more comfortable with my main player. I play ok with the other cue's but It's just a confidence thing I guess from all the playing I have with my main cue. This is actually why I am thinking about selling some of the cue's I bought over the years and they get no playing time or a couple balls here and there. Just some shots seem alot less effort with the cue I mainly use. I do switch cue's and on those times when I miss a shot I would usually never miss. I think to myself I shouldn't switch cue's.:confused: I know it is just me but some cue's play alot different in others and I know how mine play and what I am capable of doing. Maybe it is just me ...<ED

ridinda9
09-24-2010, 10:40 AM
some nights I'm just not hitting anything right .
And my EGO won't let it be my fault .
So I switch cues , and actually start making balls .
Deep inside , I know it's not the cue - it's purely psychological .
But it still works .:cool:

Bob Callahan
09-24-2010, 10:42 AM
More often than I'd like to admit. But in my case, it's more because I'm still misguidedly searching for the mythical perfect cue, instead of practicing with one until I get it wired--which would probably be a whole lot smarter.:embarrassed2:

cardiac kid
09-24-2010, 10:50 AM
Been playing with the same Schon six windows cue for nearly twenty years. Recently bought a new Carmeli so I don't have to travel a cue from Rochester to Vegas. Was surprised as hell to find the two play remarkably close! Same "feel" and "hit". Both are just a touch over 19 oz and 58" wrapless. Guess it's just familiarity.

Put a new cue in my hands? My guess is I'll have the hit down in an hour or so of play. It's all in our heads anyway!

Lyn

rossaroni
09-24-2010, 11:25 AM
I have one primary player that I use almost all the time. I would like to switch cues once in a while, but when I play it is almost always a tourney or gambling, so I want to use the cue I am used to.

Jimbojim
09-24-2010, 11:32 AM
I hear a lot of people saying that they can adjust right away to a new cue and personally, I think this is crap but its a different story if all those different cues have been in your possession for a long time since you have time to play with them and adjust. Wood is different from one piece to another and I have a hard time believing those who say that they can pick up a house cue anywhere and play just as well.

Heck, even a good friend of mine who is a pro says that it would take him a few months to adjust playing with low deflection shafts since he plays with a Schon

TheOneGnat
09-24-2010, 11:39 AM
Not cues, but shafts. My main player is a Lucasi with a Predator 314 shaft. Every once in while in feel myself continually hitting too hard or trying to play too tight. When I feel this way I usually put on the original shaft to get a smoother stroke back. It helps because i know that I have to concentrate more to hit the ball truer with the standard shaft vs. the LD shaft. At least thats what it feels like. After a couple of nights with the original shaft, going back to the Predator seems like a walk in the park when it comes to moving whitey around the table.

m79a
09-24-2010, 03:28 PM
I switch from time to time, but if it's a tourney or gambling I use my Schon simply because I prefer the stiff hit of my Ob shaft.

Cuebuddy
09-24-2010, 03:37 PM
I play most of my cues. I have a drill where I play the ghost in 9 ball, I will grab a cue and play until I beat the ghost and then try another cue. My objective is to use all my cues in one rack (18) in one session.... and it aint never happened:o.

JoeW
09-24-2010, 03:41 PM
I try other cues now and then. I even use my break cue (with a wter buffalo tip) for playing to see if the hard tip gives better control. But I always come back to my playing cue. Nothing plays as well. Seems that I know what it will do better than any of the other cues and that is what is important.

AtLarge
09-24-2010, 04:08 PM
I hear a lot of people saying that they can adjust right away to a new cue and personally, I think this is crap but its a different story if all those different cues have been in your possession for a long time since you have time to play with them and adjust. Wood is different from one piece to another and I have a hard time believing those who say that they can pick up a house cue anywhere and play just as well.

Heck, even a good friend of mine who is a pro says that it would take him a few months to adjust playing with low deflection shafts since he plays with a Schon

I mentioned this in a similar thread a while ago ...................

I remember a story from W. W. Woody's book on Buddy Hall ("Rags to Rifleman"). The year was around 1990 plus or minus one or two. Buddy won a tournament somewhere and a spectator offered him a too-good-to-refuse price for his cue. Buddy sold it. Soon thereafter, Buddy was to play a series of tournaments on the Florida tour. He still didn't own a cue. So what he did was buy a new cue at the start of each tournament and then auction it off after the tournament. He won something like seven tournaments in a row doing this. I guess it didn't take him too long to adjust to each new cue!

driven
09-24-2010, 06:08 PM
Only one cue for me. Ever.I play with a Palmer. I have the perfect stick for me and I know it. I have 2 shafts, both from palmer, but if I ever need # 2 I am in trouble and I know it.
I have read that Ronnie O. considers it a weakness to only be able to play with one cue and I believe it. I would be lost with out this cue and I have proven it to myself many times.
steven

phread59
09-25-2010, 07:02 AM
I too switch off on occasion. Right now I'm using a Heubler with a Kevin Varney shaft. A tad on the stiff side for me. A softer tip would help some. I'll get an Everest for it some day. But for now I'll leave it as it is. When I get the Josey I have on order I'll change it for Kieth's. It does give you some perspective on your game when you change.

Mark Shuman

CocoboloCowboy
09-25-2010, 07:29 AM
I ofter swith on a given had to a cue that weight almost the same, but weight is distributed differently.

greyghost
09-25-2010, 07:55 AM
So my old trusty sneaky pete has usually been a decent player up until recently. All of a sudden the last couple times i've been out to play with it.. blah to say the least. Way to whippy, feeling out balance, all of the above.

I went and got an old players I use to use out of the closet, screwed it together woolah..

Do you any of guys that own multiple cues ever feel like one of them needs a break once in a while from doing all the main "cueing"?

NEGATIVE buddy. My playing cue is exactly that MY PLAYING CUE.....I've never experienced what your talking about in my or any other cues that were not damaged in some way. I would take off the buttcap and make sure the weight bolt hasn't loosened up or something. Small things like that can affect the hit for sure.

It could just be that subconsiously your unhappy with the cue so you "feel" that.

I have two cues that i use for diff games/tables. But i have my main player that 95% of the time thats what i shoot with.

I do still like to break out my two old Hueblers and one or two others just to hit a few balls with them....but its never for a long time at all.

If all your cues have same/similar action/hit and construction then it shouldn't be a problem switching.....especially if you have had them for a while.

I have about a half dozen cues that i would be more than willing to play with at any time as i know them very very well and don't need to adjust.

If it were a diff cue.....then it most def takes time to adjust. I like ivory, but not in my ferrule....too much endmass. It would take me at a minimum the better part of a week to get normal and comfortable with a higher end mass cue to where i had everything down. But that doesn't mean that I'm not going to run out with it....just some shots are sketchy and have to be adjusted compared to your normal cue.

all in all stick with the same cue.....your about to have as fine a one as any anyways. When you get it in....stick with it (pun intended)

your friend,
keebie

TATE
09-25-2010, 08:12 AM

I always use my same cue (or at least the same shaft) . I even freak out when I have the tip changed

Shafts can get worn out. If you have electronic calipers, measure it from 16" on down to the tip every couple of inches. If any area is larger as you approach the tip, chances are the shaft is worn down. This changes the taper.

Sometimes shafts wear out, sometimes your stroke changes. Either way, it's not a bad thing to try different cues now and then to see what works.

Chris

cuesblues
09-25-2010, 08:35 AM
I switch around when i'm practicing just to try different cues.
When i'm in competition I always use the same cue.

What i've noticed is the more I practice, the better all of these cues hit.

Baxter
09-25-2010, 10:29 AM
People say that it's the "indian not the arrow", and I agree to an extent but I also look at it like this. If you took an F-1 driver out of his car, and put him in another car, would he do as well? He's an excellent driver no doubt, but he knows every little quirk about his car and has it set-up specifically for him. You change that, and it definitely has an impact on his performance. I view pool and pool cues the same way. A good player can play with anything, but if they know their cue better than any other cue, they should be able to perform better with it.

Me, I only have 1 cue. Needless to say, I'm not putting it away for a house cue lol.

3RAILKICK
09-25-2010, 11:18 AM
I have two playing cues made by the same cuebuilder. I play exclusively with one until it's time to refinish it. Then I trade out. Usually every two years or so. The shafts fit both butts-so very little difference in feel or playability.

I will sometimes practice with my lighter phenolic tip break cue-hitting drills/playing the ghost. I do this when I need to get back to the basics of the benefits of center ball shotmaking/patterns/natural shape routes.

So-yeah sorta-I switch playing cues sometimes. But not often.

ridinda9
09-26-2010, 12:47 PM
If you took an F-1 driver out of his car, and put him in another car, would he do as well? He's an excellent driver no doubt, but he knows every little quirk about his car and has it set-up specifically for him. You change that, and it definitely has an impact on his performance.
Hmmmmmmmmmm , that sounds suspiciously like an IROC race . Identically prepared cars , drivers pull out of hat for random car selection . Race then becomes about drivers instead of cars ! Turns out the top drivers are usually the top drivers - very few "dark horse" drivers suddenly , magically excel in IROC . . . .

ridinda9
09-26-2010, 12:56 PM
I ofter swith on a given had to a cue that weight almost the same, but weight is distributed differently.

I understued almost content this post but diferntly with odd words understanably confusion some rezultd .:frown:

Duz yer computrbox spelchekr hav ?:confused:

understand easier when speaking Master Yoda . . . .

Ken_4fun
09-26-2010, 02:07 PM
I use different cues all the time.

For me part of the fun is getting a cue "tuned". For me that usually means Moori soft tips and the wieght right, sometimes getting the shaft retapered, refinished or whatever.

Cues are like women. Get 'em, use 'em, then trade them off for something different.

Sometimes I crack me up.

Ken