PDA

View Full Version : Do you gamble 1 hole?

smoooothstroke
09-26-2010, 04:00 AM
Got a question for peeps that gamble 1 pocket for big money on a regular basis.I don't want theory or written rules either.what I'am looking for is how you understand this question for yourself.Yes I know this questions been covered.

If you are matched up with another player and its the first time you have played them but both of you play 1 hole regularly in the same area but not the same room.Would you expect that shorty is allowed,never allowed or do you believe that it should be agreed apron in advance?

Another way to ask is,say you are matched up and your opponent pulls out his jump cue,do you:

A) say "hey no jump cues,this is 1 pocket"

B) don't bat an eye because its the norm.

C) unscrew.

D) curse yourself for not covering the issue when making the game.

JarnoV
09-26-2010, 04:04 AM

This would be my choice.

keyser139
09-26-2010, 04:20 AM
This would be my choice.

Agree at least in my area we dont use em

Voodoo Daddy
09-26-2010, 04:25 AM
E} None of the above.

Its like telling a golfer he cant use his sand wedge, if you can use it...go ahead.

hdgis1
09-26-2010, 05:49 AM
Tell'em no jump cues. Besides, I thnk a guy has to be pretty desperate to use a jumper in one hole. All you have to do is get any ball to the rail and your good. So, unless you're the efren of jumpers, to much to sell out when whitey goes a flyin'!

Chris

strokerace
09-26-2010, 06:18 AM
Always clarify the rules of engagement..that way there are

no grey areas to deal with mid game..SA

Gerry
09-26-2010, 06:19 AM
D.

when setting up a gambling match IMO....NOTHING is set in stone til you lay out the rules before hand. Thats why it's so tough to set up action sometimes. Doesn't matter if you all play in the same room or area and there are the usual rules. When you are playing for anything substatial......set the rules before racking the balls, AND POST UP.

BTW....since when is jumping a ball taboo in 1P?.....I do it, not with a jump cue, but with my playing cue.

Personally I feel ALL short cues should go the way of the Dinosour.

G.

m79a
09-26-2010, 06:41 AM
D. Get the rule clarified in advance.

Had a guy get mad at me a while back playing some 9 ball for money. He told me that i get the call 8 and and the bank 7. So when I get to the 7 unless I had no better option than the bank I shoot it straight in and get shape on the 8. Beat the hell out of him. He made the rules himself and didn't know what he had done.

Gmanpoke
09-26-2010, 06:42 AM
D.

when setting up a gambling match IMO....NOTHING is set in stone til you lay out the rules before hand. Thats why it's so tough to set up action sometimes. Doesn't matter if you all play in the same room or area and there are the usual rules. When you are playing for anything substatial......set the rules before racking the balls, AND POST UP.

BTW....since when is jumping a ball taboo in 1P?.....I do it, not with a jump cue, but with my playing cue.

Personally I feel ALL short cues should go the way of the Dinosour.

G.

I agree with Gerry. You have to establish the rules up front. That way no argument later.

I'm not a real knowledgeable person about one pocket, so I can't answer if it's taboo. But, I don't see anyone jumping around here. That's not to say they wouldn't, I just don't see it.

Like I said, I'm not real knowledgeable about one pocket, but a jump shot would be my Alamo (last stand). It seems to me, with a jump shot you run the risk of really selling out (harder to control the cue ball). There would almost have to be a better shot, even taking an intentional foul. So, given that, I think I would like my opponent taking jump shots. Yea they may make a ball or even get a lucky safe but I think it works to my benefit. I could be wrong though.

Steven

Rak9up
09-26-2010, 07:38 AM
I would explain it like Earl (Joe Rogan)
Jump cue when I was a kid you couldn't use a #4%#$# jump cue
that ain't jumpin what the $#%@ is that? You got a tiny little cue and your pleased as punch you got a big smile on your face like you did something get the $%#@ out. I jump with a Meucci I jump full table with a Meucci how strong is that.....

Which by the way is legal in One Hole
:smile:

"CaliRed".
09-26-2010, 08:33 AM
From the Official rules at onepocket.org

5. Jumping

Players may use jump shots in One Pocket as long as they are performed with the player's own standard playing cue using legal jumping techniques as defined in General Rules. Specialized jump cues are not permitted in One Pocket.

Please note that many players, poolrooms and tournament directors have differing opinions on specialized jump cues. It is recommended that players check with their opponent, the 'house man' or the tournament director prior to an important match to come to agreement on whether specialized jump cues shall be permitted or not.

http://www.onepocket.org/one_pocket_pool_rules.htm

ceebee
09-26-2010, 08:38 AM
From the Official rules at onepocket.org

5. Jumping

Players may use jump shots in One Pocket as long as they are performed with the player's own standard playing cue using legal jumping techniques as defined in General Rules. Specialized jump cues are not permitted in One Pocket.

Please note that many players, poolrooms and tournament directors have differing opinions on specialized jump cues. It is recommended that players check with their opponent, the 'house man' or the tournament director prior to an important match to come to agreement on whether specialized jump cues shall be permitted or not.

http://www.onepocket.org/one_pocket_pool_rules.htm

Great post... that answers the question.

real bartram
09-26-2010, 08:43 AM
E} None of the above.

Its like telling a golfer he cant use his sand wedge, if you can use it...go ahead.

good post right on the money.

RackemBilliards
09-26-2010, 09:45 AM
Put me down for covering the rules up front when playing someone for the first time. Jumpers, 3 fouls, edge of ball vs base of ball for balls in the kitchen and what to do about forgotten balls owed are rules that seem to vary from place to place.

dabarbr
09-26-2010, 10:00 AM
Got a question for peeps that gamble 1 pocket for big money on a regular basis.I don't want theory or written rules either.what I'am looking for is how you understand this question for yourself.Yes I know this questions been covered.

If you are matched up with another player and its the first time you have played them but both of you play 1 hole regularly in the same area but not the same room.Would you expect that shorty is allowed,never allowed or do you believe that it should be agreed apron in advance?

Another way to ask is,say you are matched up and your opponent pulls out his jump cue,do you:

B) don't bat an eye because its the norm.

C) unscrew.

D) curse yourself for not covering the issue when making the game.

I go with "A" and if there's an argument then I go directly to "C"

cuesmith
09-26-2010, 10:52 AM
E} None of the above.

I agree. Where I learned to play one pocket, the most common area of contention was "sleepers". Whether or not you had to spot a ball you owed if it was forgotten (slept) and a player had shot since you made a ball you should have spotted. Some played if it wasn't spotted immediately after your turn then it was "slept" and it was no longer owed, except in the case of a spot (handicap) situation where one player had to spot his first ball or 2 as a handicap. In that case you could not win it you did not spot the balls and your opponent reached the hill before you so it was generally considered that you could not "sleep" spot balls. A jump cue was used so seldom in one pocket, that it was a moot point, in fact if anything, you'd hope the guy tried a jump shot!

JDB
09-26-2010, 11:32 AM
So when I get to the 7 unless I had no better option than the bank I shoot it straight in and get shape on the 8.

Why would anyone expect you to do anything different? He thought by giving you the bank 7 that you would try to bank it every time? LOL. I want to gamble with him...lol.

Dudley
09-26-2010, 02:29 PM
Imo there is no place for jump cues in one pocket.

Dud

Fatboy
09-26-2010, 02:39 PM
i dont gamble at one hole, i donate. :o

anywhere from $10-$2500/game and jump cues have never been mentioned once-other than a joke when playing cheap.

m79a
09-26-2010, 03:18 PM
Why would anyone expect you to do anything different? He thought by giving you the bank 7 that you would try to bank it every time? LOL. I want to gamble with him...lol.

I enjoy gambling with him.

smoooothstroke
09-26-2010, 04:19 PM
Thanks guys for the responses.
-----------------------------------------
i dont gamble at one hole, i donate. :o

anywhere from $10-$2500/game and jump cues have never been mentioned once-other than a joke when playing cheap.

FB,this is the way I see it too.I play $5 game to $200 set but this issue has never come up and I assumed jump cues were forbiden in 1 hole money games unless otherwise agreed upon.It did come up the other day when I was railbirding a match.Unfortunatley the match ended when they could not agree on weather it is standard practice to allow or not allow shorty(they didn't discuss it beforhand and each side bellieved wholeheartedly in thier view).I did aproach the game and offer my 2 cents,since I was the only one around remotely resembling a 1 pocket player.

After witnessing the antics during this match I for one will make sure to adress jump cues before any first time 1 pocket match up.

Cory in DC
09-27-2010, 12:35 PM

If you had made this a poll, it should be about 9:1 for this answer.

Cory in DC
09-27-2010, 12:39 PM
Tell'em no jump cues. Besides, I thnk a guy has to be pretty desperate to use a jumper in one hole. All you have to do is get any ball to the rail and your good. So, unless you're the efren of jumpers, to much to sell out when whitey goes a flyin'!

Chris

The main time I can picture a jump cue helping is when your opponent has a ball in the jaws, the CB blocked, and the kicking lanes blocked. I'm sure there are others that come up now and then.

mikeyfrost
09-27-2010, 12:40 PM
No jump cues in THIS POOLROOM would be my response. Don't care what goes on up the road if you don't play there. In your home room though you know the rules. House rules are the only rules.

brandoncook26
09-27-2010, 01:16 PM
I wouldn't want my opponent using a jump cue, and I usually agree on that before the match.

The only two times I've seen a jump cue issue were:

1. Efren and Scott Frost playing in Arizona. Scott pulls out the jump cue and Efren said, "Can you do that?". Scott says, "Why not?" Efren said "I have never seen it." Scott said, "I've never seen it either, but it doesn't mean I can't do it." Scott then proceeded to jump the stack.

2. Last year in the Derby, Wiseman and Hennessee were playing. Ronnie locked him up, and Henn pulled out the jump cue. Ronnie said he doesn't play one hole with the short stick and if he knew Henn did he wouldn't have played. They argued back and forth for a while. In the end, Henn was pissed but put it away when Ronnie said he would unscrew if he jumped.

Two pro matches with different results. It really is personal preference, but definitely should be discussed before hand.

DoubleA
09-27-2010, 01:38 PM
I LOVE IT, when my opp. has to use a jump cue I know he is in a bad spot. That is a last resort.

cleary
09-27-2010, 02:15 PM
E} None of the above.

Agreed. Unless Im playing a KILLER, I'll expect bad things to happen with the jump cue anyway.

gulfportdoc
09-27-2010, 06:02 PM
I wouldn't want my opponent using a jump cue, and I usually agree on that before the match.

The only two times I've seen a jump cue issue were:

1. Efren and Scott Frost playing in Arizona. Scott pulls out the jump cue and Efren said, "Can you do that?". Scott says, "Why not?" Efren said "I have never seen it." Scott said, "I've never seen it either, but it doesn't mean I can't do it." Scott then proceeded to jump the stack.

2. Last year in the Derby, Wiseman and Hennessee were playing. Ronnie locked him up, and Henn pulled out the jump cue. Ronnie said he doesn't play one hole with the short stick and if he knew Henn did he wouldn't have played. They argued back and forth for a while. In the end, Henn was pissed but put it away when Ronnie said he would unscrew if he jumped.

Two pro matches with different results. It really is personal preference, but definitely should be discussed before hand.
These are the only two examples I've ever heard of where one of the players wants to use a jump cue. There are some reasonable "hop" type shots usable in 1P, which Grady Matthews has amply demonstrated in his fine 1P videos; but these can easily be performed with one's regular pole.

Jump cues are banned in the onepocket.org rules, and also at the DCC.

Doc

Zbotiman
09-27-2010, 09:20 PM

Chris

If your opponent is playin' high enough, you might wanna buy him a jump cue if he wants to use it hidden on the end rail!

the420trooper
09-27-2010, 09:55 PM
I don't really have a preference one way or the other, but it should be discussed before the match begins.

I saw Corey Deuel and Shawn Putnam play at the DCC a few years back...Shawn played himself out of line and tried to recover by using shorty to jump to pocket a hanger. The 1 ball rattled, and Corey ran out. Shawn went on to lose the match. True story. :smile:

smoooothstroke
09-28-2010, 05:55 PM
I was playing a budy of mine for $10.00 a game.I was just learing the game and had never beaten him even with a spot.I had moved all the balls around my pocket protecting a hanger and my pal who was prob toying with me never tried to clear my pocket the whole game.Well it got to the point where 12 balls were ringing the pocket 6-10 inches out,a solid wall allmost,so he jumps the wall of balls,pockets the hanger and stops the CB right there.I lost the game lol.He did use his shooter for the jump shot.

:mad::mad::mad: