PDA

View Full Version : break cue

billsem
10-21-2010, 12:53 PM
Any suggestion on purchasing a good break cue, brand reasonable price, weight, etc etc.

Bill

Mt. Cheverest
10-21-2010, 12:59 PM
Predator BK2.....

Not sure what they are going for now but I haven't broke with anything better...

"Popeye"
10-21-2010, 01:04 PM
Start playing again 3years ago. Didn't have a break cue, so I bought a low end one; Fury Break/Jump. Found the shaft too whippy, wasn't a fan of the leather wrap, and didn't like the full ferrule/tip combo; lost control of whitey too much and miscued often. Moved to a custom Jacoby Break/Jump after I had Jacoby build me a nice player. Sold the Fury on eBay. Been using the Jacoby Break/Jump for a year till I went to Vegas; even upgraded to an OB break shaft. While in Vegas for BCA, I broke the tip off the OB break shaft; my spare had a phenolic tip which is not allowed in BCA play. Borrowed my buddies BK1 Predator and it broke the balls solid. As soon as I got home, I bought a BK2 Predator and installed a Samsara Tip and haven't looked back. I'm really happy with how it breaks. My custom Jacoby Break/Jump is a back up or used when I'm on the road for business.
Cheers, Mark

Oh.... regarding weight. I would match your player's weight or slightly lighter. Mine is 19oz; I play with a 19.5oz. Price; I bought mine for the lowest retail price from an authorized predator dealer; Google it. You can probably buy one on here through a seller for $250. But I bought mine through an authorized retailer just in case the shaft breaks, so you can return it under warranty. Case in point, when my Predator Air joint came loose, Predator asked for my receipt/sale info to process the warranty. They replaced the whole jump cue for free; I just had to pay shipment to Florida.

vincentwu817
10-21-2010, 01:22 PM
Was in the same situation as you. Some factors you have to decide are: tip diameter and tip material. I had an old J&J type break cue and the handle was way too thick so was the shaft, I couldn't execute the break well. I just placed an order on the Mezz Power Break 1, for 270 on ozone, look for the 5% off coupon. How much are you looking to spend? I've heard good thinsg abuot the Poison Jump Break and that is literally the same as BK2 in terms of performance, but for about 150 dolars cheaper. I would've gotten that if it wasn't for the horrible sci-fi look

billsem
10-21-2010, 01:36 PM
Been looking at the Cutec WCT any users with opinions.

vincentwu817
10-21-2010, 01:37 PM
Never played with it. You're not gonna get any good Cuetec feedbacks in this forum. What is yoru budget?

billsem
10-21-2010, 01:57 PM
Trying to stay under 200, is this possible for a good break cue.

vincentwu817
10-21-2010, 02:03 PM
The Poison VX2.9 is about 195, take a look at it. Most people I've heard from says he performs about the same as the BK2. Do you have a preferred shaft diameter? For me I was breaking better with an old playing cue of mine with a medium tip compared to the break cue with phenolic. That thing is jsut too thick for me to break hard and straight. Thats another thing you gotta consider too. You have to like the feel or the taper of it, because its not just about breaking hard, you have to hit straight too.

PaulieB
10-21-2010, 04:38 PM
Ozone had a deal going recently where if you bought a Big Beulah 2 break cue you got a free Air Hog jump cue. Not sure if that is still going on, but that's a good deal.

sponge bob
10-26-2010, 11:14 PM
PM sent.

Asgar

doublej487
10-27-2010, 01:11 AM
i have a cannon jump break and it is the best break cue i have ever used... mine is really heavy ...... but they can make them lighter... idk if they have a website or not but they hit a ton and jump pretty good as well

Atomic Playboy
10-27-2010, 01:31 AM
I started with a simple Players jump/break, but I really didn't like it. The phenolic tip was way too prone to miscuing (I was still very green, so my stroke probably had a lot to do with that also). I got a Predator BK2 after that, it was much better in basically every regard (came with a free Predator Air jump cue as well). I swapped out the phenolic for the Samsara hard leather break tip on both, and I'm very satisfied. It's much more forgiving than phenolic and it breaks a ton.

lukemindish
10-27-2010, 06:23 AM
For under 200 bucks try to find a Jerico Stinger or the McDerrmot Stinger. I used to have the McDerrmot Stinger and it broke and jumped like a champ! Alot of bang for your buck with that cue.

metallicane
10-27-2010, 07:44 AM
I love my Jacoby break cue. It has a nice big butt. I do not remember what I paid, but it was worth every penny.