PDA

View Full Version : Why do more people use 314 and OB shafts than Tiger Shafts??

Calgaryplayer
10-23-2010, 12:39 AM
If Tiger Shafts are good, what reasons cause fewer people to use them, just wondering?

poolplayer2093
10-23-2010, 01:10 AM
even though they're local i've only run into 2 people who've used them. i got one to test (thanks to az'r TATE) but it didn't fit the cue i thought it would.

Tate, it'll go out monday morning to the address you emailed me. sorry about the delay and thanks for the chance to test out the shaft. even if it didn't work out

poolplayer2093
10-23-2010, 01:11 AM
i think it's a lack of advertising really.

ukpooladdict
10-23-2010, 01:24 AM
I once tried a older Tiger shaft...Tiger x shaft i think and i couldnt get on with it, it defelected like crazy i went back to 314-2

greyghost
10-23-2010, 01:34 AM
I agree about the advertising.....

I've got an arnot with a tiger shaft and it plays well.....tho I like plain maple shafts better than any aftermarket laminated anything out there....

JB Cases
10-23-2010, 01:47 AM
Because Predator has outmarketed Tiger and everyone else. Predator hands out shafts and break cues and goodies like candy to top players. They have done this hand in hand with consistent marketing.

So they have gotten into consumer's minds in a much deeper way.

At shows Tiger is also not focused on shafts. They do tips, wraps, accessories, etc...and shafts are jsut one part.

Predator focuses mainly on shafts and "performance" with their cues and cases secondary.

So their message is more focused and they have been at it longer.

It also helps to understand that Tiger was not building "low deflection" shafts at the beginning, but instead laminated shafts that they felt were consistent with a great feeling. To that end I think that they succeeded.

Now they are building low deflection shafts and so they will need to advertise that in the market.

Predator has not changed their core product nor their message for 20 years. That's why you will find more Predator shafts out there.

OB1 has also focused on one product - shafts. So while I don't particularly think that there are more OB1 shafts out there than Tiger shafts (who can really know that?) I would say that when one thinks of OB1 one thinks of low deflection shafts first and when one thinks of Tiger any number of products could come to mind without any thought given to the others that Tiger makes.

So that's my analysis of why your observation might be the case.

JB Cases
10-23-2010, 01:52 AM
Oh, I use a Tiger X and a Tiger X-Pro. I think that they feel better than my Predator shafts. I was an early adopter and dealer for Predator shafts even back when they had 6 piece shafts. We sold them well in Germany when we could get them.

Tate has a new Tiger LD shaft that is supposed to be great. I will try it next time I am at a show.

yally
10-23-2010, 03:23 AM
Because Predator has outmarketed Tiger and everyone else. Predator hands out shafts and break cues and goodies like candy to top players. They have done this hand in hand with consistent marketing.

So they have gotten into consumer's minds in a much deeper way.

At shows Tiger is also not focused on shafts. They do tips, wraps, accessories, etc...and shafts are jsut one part.

Predator focuses mainly on shafts and "performance" with their cues and cases secondary.

So their message is more focused and they have been at it longer.

It also helps to understand that Tiger was not building "low deflection" shafts at the beginning, but instead laminated shafts that they felt were consistent with a great feeling. To that end I think that they succeeded.

Now they are building low deflection shafts and so they will need to advertise that in the market.

Predator has not changed their core product nor their message for 20 years. That's why you will find more Predator shafts out there.

OB1 has also focused on one product - shafts. So while I don't particularly think that there are more OB1 shafts out there than Tiger shafts (who can really know that?) I would say that when one thinks of OB1 one thinks of low deflection shafts first and when one thinks of Tiger any number of products could come to mind without any thought given to the others that Tiger makes.

So that's my analysis of why your observation might be the case.

Spot on. Comes down to marketing, sponsoring and Predators early entry into the market. I sold all the LD shafts I had except for for my Tiger. Excellent quality, build, and playability.

mosconiac
10-23-2010, 06:14 AM
I agree that marketing have played a significant role, but I also see the Tiger as a "mid-deflection" shaft...which makes it a good option for those that want less deflection without giving up the feel of a traditional shaft.

Here's a summary I wrote about 18 months ago that illustrates how Tiger is positioned in shaft types.

This question is right up my alley. I have been swapping shafts around a lot lately and can give you some honest experience...not theory & conjecture.

By way of background, I've been a 314 user since 1995-1996. Before that I played with Joss & Schon shafts. About 6-8 years ago I won a McDermott and I shot with that for a while. I bought an OB-1 last spring just to try it out. I recently bought an OB-2 just to try it out. I've also tried out the Tiger X. As you can see, I have experience with many different cues & shafts. I prefer a medium hit & low deflection.

Tiger X: I was very fortunate to try out a Tiger X shaft back-to-back with my trusty 314. It certainly had a good "feel", but as Platinum Billiards found it did have more deflection. Unscientifically, I rated it as a "mid-deflection" shaft...right between the 314 and a standard Schon shaft, for example. The X would be a nice middle ground for someone willing to move toward less deflection, but not willing to go to all the way to a 314/314-2/Z/Z2/OB-1/OB-2.

OB-1: I fully agree with Impact Blue's assessment of the OB-1 hit. I can't comment on the USA/China thing. I played with the OB-1 for nearly a year and it did well. In the end, I prefer my old 314 over the OB-1...primarily for the quality of the hit (deflection difference is marginal).

OB-2: I received an OB-2 about 2 weeks ago and I immediately took to it. It is an obvious improvement over the OB-1 with a hit similar to the 314 but with even less deflection. The OB-2 a great balance between LD and "feel" and will remain my primary shaft.

Summary: I rank the shafts I have used over the years in this way (from highest to lowest deflection):

Joss (HIGH deflection, firm hit)
Schon (high deflection, firm hit)
McDermott (medium deflection, medium hit)
Tiger X (medium deflection, firm hit)
OB-1 (medium-low deflection, SOFT hit)
314 (low deflection, medium hit)
OB-2 (LOW deflection, medium hit)

EDIT: I should note that I still prefer to OB-2 today.

Junkyarddog
10-23-2010, 07:07 AM
Some of it is preference and some of it is marketing. Predator and OB are shaft companies first and foremost and over the years came out with some great cues and accessories. Tiger can bring their other products around to the standards of their tips with the right technology and marketing. Tiger right now, as far as shafts go, is like Apple before the ipod. If they come out with the next great technology then they will be leading the race. Right now everyone is still trying to catch up with Predator as far as LD shafts are concerned. OB shafts to me are like the Microsoft Zune. Just a little late to the party or else they would have had a much larger market share than they do. The OB guys they have done a great job and are a very well run company from what I hear.

dr9ball
10-23-2010, 07:08 AM
If Tiger Shafts are good, what reasons cause fewer people to use them, just wondering?

My take on it is that Predator has a greater share of the market due to their extensive use of advertisement.

gpeezy
10-23-2010, 07:10 AM
cause predator was 1st

iusedtoberich
10-23-2010, 07:21 AM
I think its because Predator has the best product. I've tried nearly every low deflection shaft that came out in the past 15 years. My opinion is that the various Predator shafts deflected the least of all the shafts, and by a large amount.

The only one in my opinion that was on par with the Predator was the McDermott Intimidator series (I-1, I-2, I-3).

justadub
10-23-2010, 08:06 AM
Hopefully a related question... how does the McDermott G-Core compare to these shafts? I realize it's not supposed to be a direct competitor, but those cues/shafts are much closer to my current budget.

Would it be a "mid-deflection" like someone described earlier in this thread?

poolplayer2093
10-23-2010, 08:23 AM
Hopefully a related question... how does the McDermott G-Core compare to these shafts? I realize it's not supposed to be a direct competitor, but those cues/shafts are much closer to my current budget.

there've been some pretty good deals on predator sneakie petes lately. i'm pretty sure even brand new you can get one for around 300

skeptic
10-23-2010, 08:57 AM
Hopefully a related question... how does the McDermott G-Core compare to these shafts?

I am wondering the same thing. I'm happy with my cue, but I'm sure all of you can understand wanting more than one good playing cue.

My personal take on the original question - I'm a casual player and I don't follow all the various types of cues, shafts, tips, etc. My current cue is a custom (made by Lew Stone if any of you have heard of him), and his shaft options are standard shaft or predator (I have one of each). I guess you could say my upgraded shaft is a predator instead of anything else because of sheer ignorance. I was able to try a few of his cues with and without a predator shaft, so not complete ignorance, but you get the idea.

Calgaryplayer
10-23-2010, 05:49 PM

I have the same question that want some people can compare G-core with Tiger shaft.