PDA

View Full Version : An interesting tournament to watch

u12armresl
10-23-2010, 10:16 AM
Most people in the Midwest know about Mac and him putting on tournaments at the Bowery, Micky's, and now at the Brickyard.

I've written about several different bowery posts, (would like to hear any stories you have)

But I figure he has put on 100 to 150 tournaments. I think it would be really nice if every winner of those tournaments could be put into one tournament with a $100 entry. I know some of the previous winners have passed RIP, and others aren't what they used to be, but what a great tournament to have 64 or 128 players who all have won one of those tournaments. Think of the calcutta if Brian or John did it or alternated. Wow.

Who would be some of the participants?

Jarvis
Breedlove
Antonio Lining
Richie Richeson
Oaks
Hall
Groce

u12armresl
06-05-2011, 03:38 PM
Wanted to bump this.

Cmon old timers throw out your Bowery story.

Someone you staked
A person from your town who went and did well in tourney or after hours
Anything you can remember

John Brumback
06-05-2011, 04:01 PM
Wanted to bump this.

Cmon old timers throw out your Bowery story.

Someone you staked
A person from your town who went and did well in tourney or after hours
Anything you can remember

Ok,How about the time at the Bowery when one of the owners punched that Mexian guy and splattered blood all over the place??( I think he complained about not getting enough $ for like 3rd or 4th)Then the Mex said he was coming back to blow the bar up or shoot the place up or something. I can't remember those brothers name.But that was a heck of a god bar with great food. When I arrived In town the first night by myself and paid my hotel and entry fees I had like 20$ In my pocket after all that.Somebody
went In half with me on the little 20$ entry fee mini tourny the night before the big one and I got lucky and won It or split It.Well now I got like 60$ In my pocket! I still can't believe I went all the way up there that short on $ I had never done that before or since.I won the tourny beating
Steve Oaks In the finals.That Mac guy Is a good one.I roomed with him up there before too.Good guy.That was one of my best wins because I was so broke at the time.It paid a 1000.00$ And I had all of It to myself that time!!Thanks for the memories.John Brumback

u12armresl
06-05-2011, 04:05 PM
That's a good story, thank you.

The Priola's treated everyone very well.
I'm still in awe of the names that tournament drew, It is literally a who's who of pool.

And still some of the biggest sets I've ever witnessed in pool (even to this day) were played there.

u12armresl
06-05-2011, 04:07 PM
What did you think of that front table John?

They made sure it had the best cloth, rails, and was perfectly level.
I do remember the incident you are talking about, the thing is that J and T were so well liked that anyone in the bar would have had their back, and 2 people there are considered some of the toughest people who ever walked.

Ok,How about the time at the Bowery when one of the owners punched that Mexian guy and splattered blood all over the place??( I think he complained about not getting enough $ for like 3rd or 4th)Then the Mex said he was coming back to blow the bar up or shoot the place up or something. I can't remember those brothers name.But that was a heck of a god bar with great food. When I arrived In town the first night by myself and paid my hotel and entry fees I had like 20$ In my pocket after all that.Somebody
went In half with me on the little 20$ entry fee mini tourny the night before the big one and I got lucky and won It or split It.Well now I got like 60$ In my pocket! I still can't believe I went all the way up there that short on $ I had never done that before or since.I won the tourny beating
Steve Oaks In the finals.That Mac guy Is a good one.I roomed with him up there before too.Good guy.That was one of my best wins because I was so broke at the time.It paid a 1000.00$ And I had all of It to myself that time!!Thanks for the memories.John Brumback

1on1pooltournys
06-05-2011, 04:10 PM
I heard Brian Groce made a big score there one night gambling...I think he beat a guy named.....Steve Oaks?

elvicash
06-05-2011, 07:27 PM
They had great prime rib at the Bowery. The beer was cold and I played in a few of those tourneys. There was a lot of action and the local greats stood very well against the out of town guns. I remeber seeing Jeff Carter working out on an exercise bike in the back of a van in the parking lot between matches. I could be wrong about that being him but I definitely saw that once during a tournament. Brian Groce cracked a cue ball breaking in one of those tourneys. Peru Paul had some good outings at those tournaments he was staked by Danny Martin alot during that time. Peru has since passed he could really play when he got his mixture right. He loved to drink and could play pretty strong. Of course his highest gear was past by the time the Bowery was going. Mac Ashby ran a great tournament and the Priola brothers (Joe and Tony) loved watching and gambling on pool matches. I believe they were betting on Oaks wern't they it has been a while back late 80's. The Priolas did run a pretty tough crew but I always felt safe myself in that environment and they had some good looking waitresses.