PDA

View Full Version : Deuel & Appleton - Haunted by 2009?

sjm
10-23-2010, 03:50 PM
I rather like the fact that Darren and Corey are our 2010 US Open finalists, for each was inches from the finish line with a big payday in sight in 2009, when something went very wrong.

For Corey Deuel, the heartbreak came at 2009 Valley Forge. Just a few balls from the title in a double hill match against John Schmidt, Deuel had a ball skid on him and it cost him the title. The speech John made in victory, in which he addressed his unfortunate opponent compassionately, still resonates with me as a shining example of superior sportsmanship.

For Darren Appleton, he was just a few balls from the title at the Challenge of Champions at Mohegan Sun in 2009, and he, too, didn't make it over the finsh line in the winner-take-all final against Mika Immonen. Perhpas ironically, Darren did manage to get over the finish line earlier today against Mika Immonen to earn his spot in the US Open final.

I'm glad to see that one of them will exorcise the demons of 2009 tonight. Wishing both of these exceptional players good luck in putting the heartbreak of 2009 in the rear view mirror.

It should be quite a final!

brechbt
10-23-2010, 05:52 PM
I rather like the fact that Darren and Coery are our 2010 US Open finalists, for each was inches from the finish line with a big payday in sight in 2009, when something went very wrong.

For Corey Deuel, the heartbreak came at 2009 Valley Forge. Just a few balls from the title in a double hill match against John Schmidt, Deuel had a ball skid on him and it cost him the title. The speech John made in victory, in which he addressed his unfortunate opponent compassionately, still resonates with me as a shining example of superior sportsmanship.

For Darren Appleton, he was just a few balls from the title at the Challenge of Champions at Mohegan Sun in 2009, and he, too, didn't make it over the finsh line in the winner-take-all final against Mika Immonen. Perhpas ironically, Darren did manage to get over the finish line earlier today against Mika Immonen to earn his spot in the US Open final.

I'm glad to see that one of them will exorcise the demons of 2009 tonight. Wishing both of these exceptional players good luck in putting the heartbreak of 2009 in the rear view mirror.

It should be quite a final!
rep to you for a positive, informative post. thanks!

sjm
10-23-2010, 08:49 PM
Congratulations Darren.

beetle
10-23-2010, 09:10 PM
What a match. I wanted Mika to win his third, I wanted Corey to win his second, and I wanted Darren to win his first. One out of three isn't bad!

A really great match, as were all of them that I saw. This was my first time at the Open and the tension and drama was unbelievable. Far more than watching on a stream. I could hardly take it sitting and sweating the tension-filled outs by both players.

Congrats to Darren for his deserved win.