PDA

View Full Version : I offered

Grady
10-24-2010, 09:15 AM
For anyone who likes my commentary, I did offer to go to the Open and work. Call or e-mail Pat if you want to have me working again with Accu-stats. I can work with anybody except Jim Wyche. Thanks,

Grady

Fatboy
10-24-2010, 09:31 AM
i like your work Grady, awalys have. I have done a little bit of commentary and its hard to do. and I talk good too. I cant write of spell but I can talk so I figured to be a natural at commentary. I was the worst,,,,,,i still might be the worst but i am a little better. I hope you find lots more commentary gig's Grady

3RAILKICK
10-24-2010, 09:36 AM
Grady, hope to hear you soon on broadcasts. 'Frought with peril' should be sprinkled liberally in any entertaining and informative commentary recipe.

hwest
10-24-2010, 09:38 AM
Why won't you work with Jim Wych?

JAM
10-24-2010, 09:40 AM
I hope you are called on to do future commentary, Grady. I know how much joy it brings in your life. I still get a chuckle every time I listen to the Accu-Stats' X-rated video of Keith playing Bushwhacker. It's a hoot and quite funny. :grin:

With that said, I do enjoy Jim's commentary. I think his knowledge of the game is an asset to pool. He's a gentleman, polite, and knows the business well. There have been times when I have not agreed with what he said about a shot or about a player's intention on a shot, but I would have to say the same about all commentators in pool.

I have to work with people I don't care for sometimes, but diversity is key to jobs being a success or a failure. One person may have talent in one area, and another person could have skills that can really complement the rest of the team players. The bottom line is to get the job done, and if everybody looks at it as a business and not let their personal feelings get in the way, the end result is a win-win.

Wish you well, Grady, and I hope you get that call. :smile:

Kid Dynomite
10-24-2010, 09:46 AM
I miss Grady on the Microphone with Billy or Danny Diliberto. Call me sentimental but I like to see good things happen to good people. Grady loves pool and it would be impossible to find someone more qualified and knowledgeable!

As a natural progression of things the transition to Commentary for a Pool legend that realizes his golden years on the road and tournament trail are in his rear view mirror would be awesome!

No one would be more prepared and educated on the subject matter and as far as work ethic! I am certain the producers and viewers will get much more than their money's worth in old stories and pool history, than could ever be provided by these young whipper snappers that really should be out drawing their rock more so then occupying a seat that belongs to the LEGEND!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kid Dynomite

JAM
10-24-2010, 09:49 AM
I miss Grady on the Microphone with Billy or Danny Diliberto. Call me sentimental but I like to see good things happen to good people. Grady loves pool and it would be impossible to find someone more qualified and knowledgeable!

As a natural progression of things the transition to Commentary for a Pool legend that realizes his golden years on the road and tournament trail are in his rear view mirror would be awesome!

No one would be more prepared and educated on the subject matter and as far as work ethic! I am certain the producers and viewers will get much more than their money's worth in old stories and pool history, than could ever be provided by these young whipper snappers that really should be out drawing their rock more so then occupying a seat that belongs to the LEGEND!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kid Dynomite

OT to Kid, but in case you missed it, there's a very nice photo of your parents at the Open on the fifth or sixth day photos by Diana Hoppe. :smile:

SUPERSTAR
10-24-2010, 09:57 AM
Jim is a terrible commentator, and that would be enough for me not wanting to work with him.

If you actually go back in the day and watch matches that are pre-Jim, and listen where they have discussions on shot selections, possible spins, how many cushions they could go by going this way or that way, you would understand that Jim really isn't suited for commentary. IMO

It's as if he lacks the insight that most veteran pool players have, so when it comes to analyzing the table and shot selection, he comes off like a Newbie/Groupie, instead of someone that knows what they are talking about.

This is not to say that Jim is a bad guy, because i don't know that and it is irrelevant in this case.
Just i could pick out RAILBIRDS i know from the local pool room, who know 100 times more then him, when it comes to pool.

No don't get me wrong.
I happen to LOVE accu-stats, and think that they deserve all the credit in the world for everything they have done for pool.
Let alone, how much i have personally learned and benefited in pool, from watching their product over the years. The pool world is forever indebted to accu-stats IMO.

But having said that, i have ALWAYS felt that Jim was wrong for the job.
Sorry to say, that Jim can take an exciting match, and make it dull.

Jason Robichaud
10-24-2010, 10:01 AM
I think Jim does a great job and gets many of the shot correct. Jim and Danny are my fav guys to listen to. Grady, I can't under stand you when you talk. Its all a mumble to me.

bfdlad
10-24-2010, 10:03 AM
Grady, why do you think they didn't take you up on your offer? Maybe because you started making demands on who you wouldwork withand who you wouldn't? Maybe they thought it might be more trouble than it was worth. Of course I could be wrong and there is probably another good reason. Maybe you can tell us why you think they didn't accept your offer?

PocketPoint
10-24-2010, 10:10 AM
I hope Grady returns!

Fieldhammer
10-24-2010, 11:04 AM
I'd like to hear Grady paired with Jeremy Jones working in the commentary booth at the Derby City Classic next year.

ratnip
10-24-2010, 11:10 AM
We hope you get back on, but...you must make the phone call, not the viewers.

Jay P.

master_cueist
10-24-2010, 11:38 AM
grady...with the UTMOST respect for your game because obviously...your a legend...however with that said lately it seems that everytime anything happens with you involved i lose more and more respect for you personally. especially the last two things i have noticed with you...when you went to arizona and then this. im starting to think that your letting your status as a legend get the best of you and going to your head. you whine and complain about every little thing if its not exactly your way, sorry to say but your turning into an older version of earl strickland, or for a better name a "pool diva". now i will also say i do like your commentary your knowledge is great. but just shut up and do your job when it comes to commentary if you have a problem with something jim says during commentary tell him what you think and if it comes to it just agree to disagree and go to the next shot

krelldog
10-24-2010, 12:42 PM
As a subscriber to accustats I would much prefer any combination of DD BI and Jim Wyche. I think they do an outstanding job. Great insight and at times great humor.

Jim Wyche in my opinion is the perfect compliment to DD and BI. Every sports broadcast needs a professional broadcaster to provide the balance.

As far as Grady"s plea to the fans.....I think Accustats has the right to hire whomever they want.....petitioning the fans to call Accustats is really pathetic.

bfdlad
10-24-2010, 12:51 PM
I heard that one year you were stood outsidethe US Open with a sign asking for people to tell Accu Stats to have you do commentary. What is the point of that? If they want you they will ask you. If after wearing thesign or asking peopleonhereto tallthem to let you andthey say "Ok, Grady you can do some commentary" how you gonna feel?? PersonallyI would feel like i was unwanted. Just my opinion.

alstl
10-24-2010, 12:55 PM
I wonder if Allison Fisher is interested in doing commentary. I think she would be a good complement to DD and BI in the booth, both of whom are great.

Good luck to Grady in his endeavors.

AtLarge
10-24-2010, 01:11 PM
Jim is a terrible commentator...

Do you respect Danny DiLiberto's opinion? During one of the just-concluded U.S. Open matches, Danny said Jim Wych is the best commentator in pool.

Mr Hoppe
10-24-2010, 01:20 PM
Grady is a very capable commentator, but my favorites are Danny and Billy, and I also enjoy the threesome of J Schmidt, Bobby Hunter, and J Lee.

Wyche is probably a good commentator for non-pool players, but to those who know the game, he is INCREDIBLY, INCREDIBLY ANOYING.

SUPERSTAR
10-24-2010, 01:25 PM
Do you respect Danny DiLiberto's opinion? During one of the just-concluded U.S. Open matches, Danny said Jim Wych is the best commentator in pool.

I think Danny Di is not going to jeopardize his working relationship with accu stats.
Simple as that.

Grady
10-24-2010, 01:37 PM
When Kevin Trudeau ran a poll between me and two other possible commentators, I received 75% of the votes. People tell me all the time how much they like my work. I just thought perhaps some of them might lobby for me with Accu-stats.
I never cease to be amazed at the cruel things people can say. Well, they win. I don't want or need the work and it doesn't pay much anyway. I was told one year that I had been selected to do TV commentary. When I arrived on site, I was in the middle of doing a commentary when I learned that Jim Wyche and Mike Mike Sigel were going to do the TV commentary, I quit angrily and have always harbored hard feelings. Ok, the guy took my job. I have to live with that, although I'll go to my grave thinking I do much better work than he but I certainly can never work with him.
I promise this is all I have to say on this subject.

rayjay
10-24-2010, 01:52 PM
If Acustats wanted you to do commentary, you would be the first to know. I'm amazed that you think this kind of appeal/lobbying would help you in any way or change Pat's mind. All it can do is hurt, sorry, but that's reality.

bobco729
10-24-2010, 01:53 PM
Grady, it's always a pleasure to hear your commentary.
"country" Bob

mdavis228
10-24-2010, 02:04 PM
I don't expect this thread to do anything one way or the other. I will say that I've always enjoyed Grady's insightful commentary. I'm in the camp that finds Jim Wyche a little annoyingly bland & predictable.

richiebalto
10-24-2010, 02:26 PM
in my opinion grady is great danny d is terrible and jimmy mataya is the worlds worst

Mr Hoppe
10-24-2010, 02:38 PM
When Kevin Trudeau ran a poll between me and two other possible commentators, I received 75% of the votes. People tell me all the time how much they like my work. I just thought perhaps some of them might lobby for me with Accu-stats.
I never cease to be amazed at the cruel things people can say. Well, they win. I don't want or need the work and it doesn't pay much anyway. I was told one year that I had been selected to do TV commentary. When I arrived on site, I was in the middle of doing a commentary when I learned that Jim Wyche and Mike Mike Sigel were going to do the TV commentary, I quit angrily and have always harbored hard feelings. Ok, the guy took my job. I have to live with that, although I'll go to my grave thinking I do much better work than he but I certainly can never work with him.

Grady, you are 10x the commentator that Wyche will ever be, that is for sure. I would like to see TAR do a poll to determine their next commentators, but actually I don't think they pay them... Could get you back in action though.

GetMeThere
10-24-2010, 02:49 PM
I have to say that I've liked MOST of the commentators who EVER commentated on accu-stats. I ESPECIALLY and ALWAYS like to hear from any and all "old-timers" (hehe, and I wonder if Danny and Billy would LIKE to hear that, or dislike it--but the truth is, they're near or at "old-timer" status).

I've also liked it when current top players have stepped into the booth.

I have to say, however, that Jim Wych is one I haven't really liked the most (he's OK though, and he does his job). He clearly understands the game and the players, I just don't like all the emotional, rising-voice stuff that he does--trying to interject drama and excitement into the games. I could do without that. People who love pool enough to buy accu-stat DVDs don't need excitement interjected into a game they're already excited about.

barrett9ball
10-24-2010, 02:53 PM
I'd love to hear Grady in the booth again. Ever consider trying to hook up with one of the online streaming businesses??? Grady has a wealth of stories & knowledge that none of the others bring to the table. Plus the fact the he lived and was part of the history of this great game. Years ago I saw Grady and Allison in there exhibition tour in Lancaster PA. Was a great show and Grady told stories that kept us in our seats both before and for some time after the show. Kudos to Grady

Roadkill
10-24-2010, 04:26 PM
I remember the episode where you weren't invited into the booth to do the TV match. It seemed like a pretty cheap shot then, and I miss your commentary. You deserve better.

hangemhigh
10-24-2010, 04:42 PM
[QUOTE=GetMeThere;2673296] I just don't like all the emotional, rising-voice stuff that he does--trying to interject drama and excitement into the games. I could do without that.QUOTE]

The way he pronounces drama - dram-ah drives me bananas.

Terry Ardeno
10-24-2010, 04:47 PM
My all time favorite combo is Grady & Billy.

I actually keep a notebook where I write down some of the funnier lines in their banter. And they do know their way around the table.

Add me to those who wish that Grady was back with Accu-Stats. I love the way Grady weaves humor with his knowledge of pool. I miss him a lot.

poolhustler
10-24-2010, 04:52 PM

I actually keep a notebook where I write down some of the funnier lines in their banter. And they do know their way around the table.

Add me to those who wish that Grady was back with Accu-Stats. I love the way Grady weaves humor with his knowledge of pool. I miss him a lot.

I concur!!!!!!

I just hate all these new... "AZ Billiard's - As The World Turns" threads..

Jadssons
10-24-2010, 05:24 PM

Grady and Billy I. are definitely my favorites. Together the are like Carson and McMahon. They are both extremely knowledgeable of the game and they play off of each other so well. I hope Grady gets back on the mic.

poolplayer2093
10-24-2010, 05:37 PM
For anyone who likes my commentary, I did offer to go to the Open and work. Call or e-mail Pat if you want to have me working again with Accu-stats. I can work with anybody except Jim Wyche. Thanks,

Grady

is it because he let you down in that ring game a few years back?????lol

Grady you should have titled this thread with something to do with commentary. if i'd seen it i'd have emailed and called until pat blocked my emails and phone. i really like your commentary!

Scaramouche
10-24-2010, 06:02 PM
I was told one year that I had been selected to do TV commentary. When I arrived on site, I was in the middle of doing a commentary when I learned that Jim Wyche and Mike Mike Sigel were going to do the TV commentary, I quit angrily and have always harbored hard feelings. Ok, the guy took my job. I have to live with that, although I'll go to my grave thinking I do much better work than he but I certainly can never work with him.

So you are mad at Jim Wych because somebody hired him???

Why blame him???

What is your opinion of the idiots who hired him - the people you now want to hire you? You quit on them. :confused::confused::confused:

Unburning bridges is a neat trick.

And why don't you hate Mike Sigel equally?

manwon
10-24-2010, 06:13 PM

I also agree I wish he were back, I always use to have a great time watching him and whoever he was with going back and forth on key issues during th match.

Since he stopped working for them things have been much less informative.

JIMO

Jason Robichaud
10-24-2010, 06:30 PM
I was at a Joss event and Grady wanted to play for free, He posted several times for an invite to a 14.1 event and now this thread. I think this tactic is getting old and you might be starting a new legend/name.

Maybe, eat some crow. I now I have in the past and have more chewing in the near future.

asmith74
10-24-2010, 06:45 PM
Don't air your dirty laundry in public...it only invites negitivity. jmo

Blue Hog ridr
10-24-2010, 07:02 PM
I love doing favors for people but when it comes to work, I don't work for free. Acu Stats probably makes pretty good coin from the DVDs and if they can't pay a commentator what he is worth then don't worry about it.
Remember, you don't want to be just a Common Tater, be a really Big Tater.

There are two ways to ride into the sunset Grady, depart with your head held high and screw em if they don't know what they have.
Be the Lone Ranger and give them the bird as you ride off.

Re Jim, the bosses hired him, thats their prerogative. You don't have to like it but you don't have to kiss him either.
If they put you in the booth with Jim, just show your fans how much knowledge you have of the game and act professional at all times.
Its probably not Jim's fault that Acu Stats hired him, they have their reasons too. Don't take it out on an innocent person.

There is more than one way to kill a rolling stone that gathers no birds while skinning 2 cats in the bush. Know what I mean?

Blue Hog ridr
10-24-2010, 07:03 PM
Double post.

PocketPoint
10-24-2010, 07:11 PM
I will just say that over the long haul, I will buy more accu-stats tapes if Grady is commentating instead of Jim.

I have nothing against Jim, but I think it would be a shame to miss out on Grady commentating.

Maybe Grady can get a handheld camera and a voice recorder and tape his own matches. I'd buy them.

Jason Koopman
10-24-2010, 07:17 PM
What he said, I love to hear Grady in the booth, and Jeremy was absolutely phenominal at the Galveston tournament. Really pulling for Grady to get back in the booth. Accu- Stats hasn't been the same without him.

bagofpaper
10-24-2010, 07:22 PM
Grady just call up Jim and tell him "it's on."

Then, Pat will have to have a Commentary-Off where you and Jim vie for rights to commentate the next US Open.

pvc lou
10-24-2010, 09:48 PM
I've wanted to rant about this for so long. Wych is very very extremely annoying. I'll go out on a limb and hypothesize that it's the canadian in him that makes is commentary so banal. He uses the same tired, stupid, and pretentious expressions repeatedly. "POTTING in the side by CANNONING off the six with the RAKE AFFORDS/OFFERS automatic position..." I guess i dont like his style. It's pool, not snooker. He's dull and stiff, and douchy. On top of it all, i've never learned one bit about how to play a shot or position from his commentary. If only he could be more insightful about the game, then it would balance his boorish style...but he offers none of the nuanced insight billy, danny, and grady give.
Ok. It's off my chest and I feel better.

Blue Hog ridr
10-25-2010, 12:15 AM
Hahaha, its the Canadian in him.
I think your Speedos are too tight bud.

predator
10-25-2010, 01:47 AM
It depends where you come from. I prefer Jim the Canadian commentator because he actually knows all the international players. Most US commentators only know about 15 or so players outside of USA, even that is doubtful. Don't even get me started on pronouncing non English names...at least Jim shows respect and tries to get that right.

JAM
10-25-2010, 02:43 AM
It depends where you come from. I prefer Jim the Canadian commentator because he actually knows all the international players. Most US commentators only know about 15 or so players outside of USA, even that is doubtful. Don't even get me started on pronouncing non English names...at least Jim shows respect and tries to get that right.

This is a great post, Predator. Each commentator does have different things to offer when commentating. For sure, it is not easy speaking on the fly, especially if the match is boring and there's nothing going on to speak about. That filling-in time can be difficult to come up with interesting pool tidbits to share during the broadcast.

With that said, if Grady had initiated a thread for support to work as a commenator for Accu-Stats, I am sure he would have garnered lots of supportive words and maybe even a few who follow through with action by contacting Accu-Stats.

But this thread seems to target Jim Wych; thus, resulting in a bashing thread.

I happen to really like Jim Wych when he's in the booth. I have several Accu-Stats DVDs with him in the booth along with Billy Incardona. He's not only a player himself, but he is a great deal of knowledge about pool on a global scale. In fact, he's done quite a bit to promote pool in Canada, allowing players of all caliber to shoot pool, keeping it alive and well.

I don't agree with some things that MANY commentators have said. In fact, I've seen some choose the wrong shot a lot, but, hey, everything is live. This is live commentating most times. Nobody gets it right every time.

It is one thing to request the job of commentating for Accu-Stats, but when one puts down another commentator on a pool forum, well, this is in poor taste. Grady would not like it one bit if there was a thread where somebody refused to work with him, resulting in a flame thread on his good name.

Jim Wych has been in the industry a long time, and this thread has taken a turn targeting him instead of supporting Grady. I am all for providing support to Grady but not at Jim's expense.

For the young'ns who may not know Jim Wych, here is his website: Jim Wych's bio and website. (http://jimwych.com/biography.html)

demonrho
10-25-2010, 05:41 AM
With Grady and Billy, it's like you're sitting in with two wise old road dogs cluing you in to what's really going down. Listening to them, you can lapse into that timeless world of pool where all kinds of valuable little insights on playing that come from years of experience are woven together with amusing little snippets of the history of our noble game. It doesn't get any better.

APA7
10-25-2010, 06:17 AM
Grady, your offer was rejected :sorry::eek::rolleyes:

book collector
10-25-2010, 12:18 PM
Dear Pat Fleming
Please talk to Grady and figure out some way to get him back in the booth. Whatever problem you two have there is always a solution that both of you can agree on.
Dear Grady Matthews please do the same.
We the pool fans are the ones suffering because of whatever has happened.
Not everyone likes Grady , not everyone likes Pat, heck there are even a couple of people who don't like me.
I believe that 90% of the spending population in pool would rather hear Grady do commentary than anyone.
I wish you the best in the future Grady and Pat, I think that you two have worked harder and longer at promoting pool to the spectators than anyone else and I hope this can be worked out.
Maybe a mutual unbiased friend of both of you could help?

poolcuemaster
10-25-2010, 12:23 PM
Grady and Billy are the best of the best and I was at the open that year and Grady after being told to rent a tuxedo to do the broadcast was sidelined. I always believed it was not Pat's decision but Rob Sycora (sp) who opted for Wych, Jim is a nice guy but he can't hold a candle to Grady, Billy or Danny in the booth. If someone thinks Wych knows more pool players than Grady there nuts, that said Grady you have my respect 100% and I hope Pat makes the call.--Leonard

asbani
10-25-2010, 12:26 PM
Grady, I'm your biggest fan, I really do love hearing you in the booth commentating, you and billy incardona makes videos so much enjoyable, you have no idea how much I enjoy them.... specially when you are speaking. I will email accu-stats, because really we need to learn from knowledgable teachers like yourself, I know i can learn more....

and in all honesty also, and I do know this is a matter of taste, and everybody likes different things, I do respect Jym witch ofcourse, he's great man, but he's not my favorite cup of tea when it comes to Pool commentating, he makes it sound like Football, or basketball with the shouting and all. I'm sorry, but thats just how I feel, and I think accu-stats should bring back Grady. I still do watch the 90's matches repeatedily specialy to hear a combination of Grady, Incardona, Buddy hall, Love these three in the booth so much.

Luxury
10-25-2010, 12:42 PM
I'm an Accustats DVD of the month club member and think the Dilberto\Wysch team is perfect. Pool can be boring but Wysch helps keep it exciting and has a great voice for it. Grady can sound boring and has terrible PR in the pool world. People that start controversy repeatedly shouldn't be surprised when businesses don't want them representing their company.

JAM
10-25-2010, 12:50 PM
I'm an Accustats DVD of the month club member and think the Dilberto\Wysch team is perfect. Pool can be boring but Wysch helps keep it exciting and has a great voice for it. Grady can sound boring and has terrible PR in the pool world. People that start controversy repeatedly shouldn't be surprised when businesses don't want them representing their company.

I agree that Wych is a great commentator, as is Grady.

What a shame that Jim Wych, who never posts on this forum, is being taken to task because of this thread. He is competent as a commentator. There are many pool folks who may be competent but not everyone's favorite.

Variety is the spice of life, as they say, and I think each commentator brings a little something different to the microphone. :smile:

Voodoo Daddy
10-25-2010, 12:50 PM
I've wanted to rant about this for so long. Wych is very very extremely annoying. I'll go out on a limb and hypothesize that it's the canadian in him that makes is commentary so banal. He uses the same tired, stupid, and pretentious expressions repeatedly. "POTTING in the side by CANNONING off the six with the RAKE AFFORDS/OFFERS automatic position..." I guess i dont like his style. It's pool, not snooker. He's dull and stiff, and douchy. On top of it all, i've never learned one bit about how to play a shot or position from his commentary. If only he could be more insightful about the game, then it would balance his boorish style...but he offers none of the nuanced insight billy, danny, and grady give.
Ok. It's off my chest and I feel better.

Finally, some sense. Green rep your way

SCCues
10-25-2010, 01:00 PM

I have over 150 Accu-stats videos and I miss Grady a lot. He's always been one of my favorites doing commentary and i'd love to see him and Danny D. in the booth together.......

James

DRW
10-25-2010, 03:23 PM

I'm with you on this one Terry.

Fast Lenny
10-25-2010, 04:59 PM
You have my vote Grady, my favorites are you and Billy, I do have a strange liking for Jimmy Mataya too because of the color he provides, Buddy also makes me laugh. IMO I think most of us like the entertainment of the commentary and the stories, I do also appreciate the knowledge (shot selection) but for the stories are the best. :)

manwon
10-26-2010, 10:00 PM
I don't think that anyones comments are wrong because we all a right to our individual opinion. But, in my opinion I think that sometimes a little compassion is needed along with a little respect for everyone involved. Some day we will get up in age and that can be very lonely, I think some times it is better to say nothing when in reality it serves no purpose and nothing is gained or lost by the out come.

I hope that everyone understands what I am saying, if not PM me and I will explain further.

Have a great night everyone

Mr Hoppe
10-26-2010, 11:29 PM
Will someone please just post a poll and let's get this over already? :rolleyes: