PDA

View Full Version : Last nite

9ball
10-24-2010, 12:00 PM
Last Nite my 12 yr old son Manny and I played at shooters here in olathe at their weekly saturday nite tourney and to my great delight we both had to play each other in the hotseat match.

I couldn`t tell you the exact words I have at the feelings I felt knowing my son made it through the pack and was about to play me for the hotseat!

And all this knowing he`s comming off a long summer in which he did not get much practice.

I watched him play and it amazes me to see how well he played, he drew stares from onlookers who never seen him play before and their comments made me feel proud!

Anyway!, dear old dad still has some game in him and I it took him down in the Hotseat match and he finished 3rd in the event. We split 3rd and 1st place monies between us and he was a happy camper!:smile:

Next time dad! Next time! yeah rite! I said, Remember I`m the teacher! :)

Hector

Have you played pool with your kid today!

Jallan
10-24-2010, 12:08 PM
Pool needs more of this. Thank you for taking the time share. And congrats to both of you.

Kickin' Chicken
10-24-2010, 12:13 PM
Hector;

That is a wonderful story. Congratulations to you both!:thumbup:

This reminds me of when a pro player friend of mine once said:

"I taught you everything you know, but not everything I know." lol!

Being the teacher has some benefits. :wink:

Best,
Brian kc

9ball
10-24-2010, 02:18 PM
Hector;

That is a wonderful story. Congratulations to you both!:thumbup:

This reminds me of when a pro player friend of mine once said:

"I taught you everything you know, but not everything I know." lol!

Being the teacher has some benefits. :wink:

Best,
Brian kc

Thanks guys for your kind post! Brian I like that line I think I`ll use it as my signature, Do you remember who said it? I remember the line but not the player. Thanks Hector

dabarbr
10-24-2010, 02:25 PM
Last Nite my 12 yr old son Manny and I played at shooters here in olathe at their weekly saturday nite tourney and to my great delight we both had to play each other in the hotseat match.

I couldn`t tell you the exact words I have at the feelings I felt knowing my son made it through the pack and was about to play me for the hotseat!

And all this knowing he`s comming off a long summer in which he did not get much practice.

I watched him play and it amazes me to see how well he played, he drew stares from onlookers who never seen him play before and their comments made me feel proud!

Anyway!, dear old dad still has some game in him and I it took him down in the Hotseat match and he finished 3rd in the event. We split 3rd and 1st place monies between us and he was a happy camper!:smile:

Next time dad! Next time! yeah rite! I said, Remember I`m the teacher! :)

Hector

Maybe if he had won the hot seat match you guys would have played for 1st and 2nd. Or just split the pot. Just saying.

Baby PacMan
10-24-2010, 02:26 PM
I play with my daughter, she's 7 years old. When my son is old enough, I will introduce him to pool also. They will both grow up around a pool table. If people want a resurgence in billiards, I believe, this is where it starts.

h2o4170
10-24-2010, 02:51 PM
Thats great and good for you for not letting him win. Way to make him earn it.

GetMeThere
10-24-2010, 03:06 PM
Great experiences for a kid. You sound like a wonderful Dad!

9ball
10-24-2010, 10:32 PM
Maybe if he had won the hot seat match you guys would have played for 1st and 2nd. Or just split the pot. Just saying.

That Idea came up, But Manny decided he wanted to try to win the whole thing on his own. As his dad I gotta give him cudos for that!

Anyway, the way he was playing, he had as good of a chance as anyone to win the thing. Or maybe even bounce back from the losers side.

H.P.

onepocketron
10-25-2010, 01:09 AM
Great story! That's about the age I started playing many many years ago. Brings back memories of me and my brother (my brother got me playing). May you both have many more memorable matches.:thumbup::thumbup:

gdc25
10-25-2010, 04:44 AM

I used to bowl with my son until he got so good that I couldn't beat him. That was the day I gave him all of my gear.

I'm not willing to give him my cues, so he's just gonna have to watch from the rail.

poolfire
10-25-2010, 06:27 AM

thinking the same thing....if it was a race to 3 win the first two and put pressure on him the whole third game just to show him that if you wanted too....lol