PDA

View Full Version : How Much To Recover GCIV With Simonis 860?

DrCue'sProtege
10-24-2010, 05:30 PM
Ok, i am about ready to have my Gold Crown IV recovered. The cloth is 2.5 years old, starting to get worn and would be nice to have new Simonis 860 on the table as we approach the holidays and i have alot of time off.

Anyway, can someone tell me what i can expect as far as the price for this? assume the mechanics would have about a two hour drive to my place - four hours round trip.

DCP

Dartman
10-24-2010, 05:41 PM
Anyway, can someone tell me what i can expect as far as the price for this? assume the mechanics would have about a two hour drive to my place - four hours round trip.

DCP

Call Jack Zimmerman 812-756-2899 and get a firm quote from a guy that knows what he's doing.

realkingcobra
10-24-2010, 05:53 PM
Jack is up in Indianapolis, if he'll make the drive...he gets my full blessings as a table technician....because I know what kind of work he does;):grin:

Glen

DrCue'sProtege
10-24-2010, 06:57 PM
Steve Durrell from the Indy area is the guy that normally does it. he came highly recommended by Orner Billiards and by our very own Williebetmore.

never heard of Jack Zimmerman. can anybody give me some background on him?

also, anybody give me a ballpark price?

Mike

realkingcobra
10-24-2010, 07:18 PM
Steve Durrell from the Indy area is the guy that normally does it. he came highly recommended by Orner Billiards and by our very own Williebetmore.

Mike

He's one of my personally trained table mechanics...that should say enough;) for prices...you'd have to call him for that answer.

Glen

Donkey Puncher
10-25-2010, 12:56 AM
Someone give this guy a BALLPARK damn. It's not like it would vary $200 or more

atthecat
10-25-2010, 02:56 AM
I would think 200 for the cloth and 200 to install.

Gerry
10-25-2010, 04:51 AM
I had mine done 2 years ago and it was $450.....I also had shims put in and I know the mechanic personally. We actually based the job on that number, and we traded his work for plumbing work from my biz.

I would think with travel and cloth included.....$450 to $650, depending on if your table needs any additional work.

nothing like a newly clothed table.....mmmmmm!

Dartman
10-25-2010, 06:09 AM

Mike

Jack is highly recommended by our very own RealKingCobra which should be enough said.
I worked with Jack at the RKC seminar and he struck me as a methodical perfectionist.
He has also taken the time to post pictures of his work so many of us can attest that he knows what he's doing.

FWIW there is a section of this forum called Talk to a Mechanic where you will find some of the top table guys
in the country and the recommended place to post table work questions. Someone interested in doing your job
will generally contact you to discuss and provide a firm quote. FTR there's more to a quality recovering job then just
slapping on new cloth (which is what a hack does on the cheap). I think the adage you get what you pay for applies here.

On a side note, if Steve Durrell is the guy "that normally does it" then you already have a price reference so I'm a
bit curious as to the purpose of this thread.

BRKNRUN
10-25-2010, 07:37 AM
I had mine done 2 years ago and it was $450.....I also had shims put in and I know the mechanic personally. We actually based the job on that number, and we traded his work for plumbing work from my biz.

I would think with travel and cloth included.....$450 to $650, depending on if your table needs any additional work.

nothing like a newly clothed table.....mmmmmm!

Shims or subrail extensions?

I will never deal with a mechanic again that does "shims" for the pockets....Subrail extensions are the only way to go if you want the table to play correct...

There is also a bit more than just putting on rubber....the subrails should really be (at minimum) checked to make sure all of the proper demensions are consistent....The right way to go is to make sure that all the subrail demensions are "correct"

There are very few mechanics that actually no what those demensions are and how to make them right (if they are wrong)

I am 100% positive that the guy RKC is recommending knows all of this stuff above and knows how to "make it right":wink:

That is the guy I would go with If I was in your area....even if he was a little more expensive...In the long run it is worth it.

Black-Balled
10-25-2010, 07:49 AM
...on a side note, if steve durrell is the guy "that normally does it" then you already have a price reference so i'm a
bit curious as to the purpose of this thread.
+1

realkingcobra
10-25-2010, 08:13 AM
Someone give this guy a BALLPARK damn. It's not like it would vary $200 or more

Well...lets see here...first of all, I start at $300 labor + materials, but then if I run into things like cross threaded rail bolts, seams not flat, unlevel slates...or what ever...the labor goes up. Then if more work is requested like tighting the pockets...the price goes up...because I don't have a "what the public thinks" price listing;)...so as I already sugested...call the horses mouth if direct pricing is wanted...Call Jack directly...that's all the OP has to do;)

Glen

JZMechanix
10-25-2010, 08:43 AM
PM sent..... Thanks:grin:

Dartman
10-25-2010, 10:22 AM
Just a plug for table mechanics that are forum members.
The Mechanics Directory was started in 2007 and can be seen here - http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=54305

First consideration should be given to members noted in green since they have contributed expertise to the forum And posted pictures of their work. :thumbup2:

u12armresl
10-25-2010, 11:45 AM
Whatever will you do when you recover a table and someone comes in and says you did it all wrong and fixes your mistakes? Surely you don't believe you are infallible?

NVMD I know you think that you don't make mistakes, you just correct others mistakes.

Well...lets see here...first of all, I start at $300 labor + materials, but then if I run into things like cross threaded rail bolts, seams not flat, unlevel slates...or what ever...the labor goes up. Then if more work is requested like tighting the pockets...the price goes up...because I don't have a "what the public thinks" price listing;)...so as I already sugested...call the horses mouth if direct pricing is wanted...Call Jack directly...that's all the OP has to do;)

Glen

Donny Wessels
10-25-2010, 03:02 PM
my pricing is in line with Glens. $300 labor. plus travel. The pictures I've seen of Jack's work is impressive. Jack also uses the glue method which gets great action.

realkingcobra
10-25-2010, 03:38 PM
Whatever will you do when you recover a table and someone comes in and says you did it all wrong and fixes your mistakes? Surely you don't believe you are infallible?

NVMD I know you think that you don't make mistakes, you just correct others mistakes.

hmmmm...here all along I thought I was a professional at what I do...but here's a thought...why don't YOU find that someone that has come behind me and fixed MY mistakes....for me...how's that? I don't do professional work some of the time...or even most of the time...I do it ALL the time! And whom ever I teach...knows that, and knows I expect the same of them...so, got a problem....call someone who cares!;)

Glen

atthecat
10-25-2010, 09:40 PM

Aaaaah, yes he kind of does.

IMO, Ernesto and Oscar tables play the best.

realkingcobra
10-26-2010, 12:32 AM

They play OK, but not the best, at least...not the best a table can play anyway;)...but, you're entitled to your opinion:grin:

realkingcobra
10-26-2010, 12:35 AM

If you ever want to put your money where your mouth is....let me know, I'm sure we can work something out...I think I've said this before, but no one's posted;)

realkingcobra
10-26-2010, 12:43 AM

If you knew anything about tables, then you'd know Ernesto couldn't fix rails that look like this....because this IS one of the tables he's worked on, as you can see....I rebuilt the rail.

JimS
10-26-2010, 02:31 AM
I watched him Diamondize an old Gandy. It was a beautiful thing to witness.

BRKNRUN
10-26-2010, 03:34 AM
I rebuilt the rail.

Oh....man....you are killing me with these teaser pics:wink:

I am like a kid waiting for x-mas to get here!!! :grin:

Dartman
10-26-2010, 05:04 AM
Thats great - but off topic.
We've been down the Ernesto/Glen road before so let's not go there again.

DrCue'sProtege
10-26-2010, 07:43 AM
I watched him Diamondize an old Gandy. It was a beautiful thing to witness.

and what does "Diamondize" mean?

DCP

ctyhntr
10-26-2010, 08:13 AM
I'm going to guess making a Brunswick Gold Crown play like a Diamond Pro-Am.

and what does "Diamondize" mean?

DCP

realkingcobra
10-26-2010, 09:31 AM
I'm going to guess making a Brunswick Gold Crown play like a Diamond Pro-Am.

uuummmmmm....more like taking almost any kind of table...redesigning it...to make it play closer to the play of a Diamond....but choose only to do that to certain tables....for certain customers, it's not something I do all the time...but I have taught a few other table mechanics how to do the same work I do...so there are a few table mechanic's around the country that can do the same work...one of which is Jack;)

Glen

Dartman
10-26-2010, 09:57 AM
uuummmmmm....more like taking almost any kind of table...redesigning it...to make it play closer to the play of a Diamond....but choose only to do that to certain tables....for certain customers, it's not something I do all the time...but I have taught a few other table mechanics how to do the same work I do...so there are a few table mechanic's around the country that can do the same work...one of which is Jack;)

Glen

How many are privy to the rail tooling?
Or should I say who is?

9 on the snap
10-26-2010, 10:04 AM
Last time I had it done. $500 including the 860hr

realkingcobra
10-26-2010, 10:58 AM
How many are privy to the rail tooling?
Or should I say who is?

Only 6 right now, Mark, Bob, Josh, Donny, Zach and Gordon, but have tooling....Mark, Bob, Donny, Zach and Gordon...that's it;)

Glen

realkingcobra
10-26-2010, 11:02 AM
Last time I had it done. $500 including the 860hr

That's a fair price...provided you got what you paid for...meaning no loose cloth, no puckers in the rail cloth...and a level table.;)...if you have any of the aforementioned flaws it means you over paid;)

Glen

9 on the snap
10-26-2010, 12:25 PM
That's a fair price...provided you got what you paid for...meaning no loose cloth, no puckers in the rail cloth...and a level table.;)...if you have any of the aforementioned flaws it means you over paid;)

Glen

None of those problems at all. Wes has always done a great job for me.

realkingcobra
10-26-2010, 12:30 PM
None of those problems at all. Wes has always done a great job for me.

I know Wes...you got your money's worth:D

Dartman
10-26-2010, 12:40 PM
Only 6 right now, Mark, Bob, Josh, Donny, Zach and Gordon, but have tooling....Mark, Bob, Donny, Zach and Gordon...that's it;)

Glen

Good to know.
Now when are you gonna get yer butt up to JayLand? :mad: :wink:

ctyhntr
10-26-2010, 01:37 PM
Thanks for the clarification,

Glen