PDA

View Full Version : Need Spanish translator

freddy the beard
10-25-2010, 03:40 AM
I am considering translating my books, Banking With The Beard and The GosPool into the Spanish language in order to reach a larger audience. I dont have a clue as to how to go about it. Any serious professional suggestions would be appreciated. Please no guesses as to how to do it. I am more than capable of doing that myself.

Beard

JAM
10-25-2010, 03:43 AM
Freddy, you may want to Google "translation service" in your area. We have quite a few here in my neck of the woods. They will translate the content and provide a PDF or Word-formatted document of the Spanish language text.

I will mention that they are not cheap, but that would be the easiest way to do it. :)

Once you got it in final order, you can then offer it on your website. Build it and they will come, as they say.

Foolio
10-25-2010, 04:06 AM
The thing about what JAM said is that Google translates it to the literal meaning. If you write "pool stroke" it would translate it to the actual pool word "pisina" and the dangerous kind of stroke, the one that kills "derrame cerebral." I'm no professional but am fluent in Spanish, and able to write and read, and I speak it on a daily basis. I suggest that you find somebody that speaks Spanish very well and have human assistance. Also note that words like cue ball, rail, cushion, pocket, stroke and cue might be different in other countries. So you might want a player that grew up playing pool in their country for the "slang" part. I know in Bolivia they call a cue "taco," not sure if same anywhere else.

On a side note, I think it's great to expand horizons to the hispanic market. You don't see many pool books in Spanish, well actually you don't see many in English either! Not many pro hispanic players here in U.S. only a handful that I have seen. You might influence the next Paez, without his jerking though of course. Lol

PocketPoint
10-25-2010, 04:08 AM
Maybe Ismael is the right person to do this.

JAM
10-25-2010, 04:16 AM
The thing about what JAM said is that Google translates it to the literal meaning. If you write "pool stroke" it would translate it to the actual pool word "pisina" and the dangerous kind of stroke, the one that kills "derrame cerebral"....

No, I did not mean the Google Translater, which is in its infancy stage. I meant for him to look in the Yellow Pages or do a Google search for a translation company. We have a lot of them in my area.

I actually did a job about the Google Translater, an interview with Franz Och, Google's uber scientist. It was quite interesting about how the technology is advancing in this arena, but what you said is exactly right. There are some languages where an exact translation would not make any sense. :o

PocketPoint
10-25-2010, 04:22 AM
so being in "dead stroke" would not be good in spanish

billiardshot
10-25-2010, 04:25 AM
Check with local College or University for a student to translate material

JAM
10-25-2010, 04:29 AM
Check with local College or University for a student to translate material

Translation is one thing, but I think he needs a professional translation service to transcribe it correctly, with proper spellings and punctuation.

A friend of mine has a side job as a proofreader for college students. Professors are requiring students to submit their papers to a professional proofreading service before they submit the paper to the professor in final form. She said that many of the papers submitted for proofreading are lacking in spelling and punctuation.

For Freddy to get this published, he needs a professional service to ensure its accuracy. I'm sure he wouldn't want to publish a book that is riddled with errors in spelling, translation, and punctuation. And then there's all those Spanish accent marks, too. Yikes, it is more complicated than I thought. :o

billiardshot
10-25-2010, 05:00 AM
Translation is one thing, but I think he needs a professional translation service to transcribe it correctly, with proper spellings and punctuation.

A friend of mine has a side job as a proofreader for college students. Professors are requiring students to submit their papers to a professional proofreading service before they submit the paper to the professor in final form. She said that many of the papers submitted for proofreading are lacking in spelling and punctuation.

For Freddy to get this published, he needs a professional service to ensure its accuracy. I'm sure he wouldn't want to publish a book that is riddled with errors in spelling, translation, and punctuation. And then there's all those Spanish accent marks, too. Yikes, it is more complicated than I thought. :o

Who going to proofread book after it come from print shop for mistake??

Here a post Beard might want to read on the translation of Billiards Manual
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=2601177&postcount=44

JAM
10-25-2010, 05:01 AM
Who going to proofread book after it come from print shop for mistake??

Here a post Beard might want to read on the translation of Billiards Manual
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=2601177&postcount=44

Somebody needs to proofread the book before it goes to the print shop, I think. :wink:

xxxbilliards
10-25-2010, 07:41 AM
The thing about what JAM said is that Google translates it to the literal meaning. If you write "pool stroke" it would translate it to the actual pool word "pisina" and the dangerous kind of stroke, the one that kills "derrame cerebral." I'm no professional but am fluent in Spanish, and able to write and read, and I speak it on a daily basis. I suggest that you find somebody that speaks Spanish very well and have human assistance. Also note that words like cue ball, rail, cushion, pocket, stroke and cue might be different in other countries. So you might want a player that grew up playing pool in their country for the "slang" part. I know in Bolivia they call a cue "taco," not sure if same anywhere else.

On a side note, I think it's great to expand horizons to the hispanic market. You don't see many pool books in Spanish, well actually you don't see many in English either! Not many pro hispanic players here in U.S. only a handful that I have seen. You might influence the next Paez, without his jerking though of course. Lol

I"m with you in this one
For the must part the slang will find the way in, I do like the idea to translate in spanish and if it follows La Real Academia Espaņola there should not be problems. They incorporate modismo.
Godd luck and hereby offer my services if required

freddy the beard
10-26-2010, 04:17 AM
... for your suggestions and advice. I just want to save myself as much time, energy and money as I can. I will consider all the options ya'all provided. I definitely need someone poolwise and Spanish literate to do a final reading edit.

Beard

pro9dg
10-26-2010, 04:39 AM
Freddy
Why don't you contact PETER APRILE.

He is an Englishman who has lived in Spain for many years and is fluent in the language. He was involved in translating the BCA rules into Spanish.
He is a top class guy and a dedicated pool fanatic.
He is held in high regard throughout the world and was recently inducted into the Spanish Billiards Hall of Fame for his services to the game.
Just look after him well.

The best way to contact him quickly is on Facebook or I will PM you his number if you want it
Doug Gordon

Quesports
10-26-2010, 05:35 AM
Hi Freddy, You might consider contacting this company, http://www.globaltranslation.com/ I used to live in Chapel Hill and know them personally. The person that does the majority of the Spanish translation is a friend of mine named Dave MacRonald. He is an excellent pool player so he understands the game as well as translating. You can click on the About Us section and read his bio.

Take Care,
Dan

SpiderWebComm
10-26-2010, 05:48 AM
The best move is to use the Google translator:
http://www.google.com/language_tools?hl=en

It will give you a great translation. In fact, I ran our South American business using this tool exclusively. I never once spoke to our clients on the phone. They'd send me email requests--- I'd copy/paste them into the translator, write a response and translate that and then re-copy/paste that into an email.

Yes, it's not 100% accurate but it's over 85% accurate. Once you use the Google translator, get a native Spanish-speaker to proof the result. That's a lot easier than translating everything from scratch (which is a grind, imo).

Good luck, Beard.

Dave

Bob Jewett
10-26-2010, 09:09 AM
Related to which, I see that there is already a Chinese version of Bw/tB:

As for Google Translate, that's a really bad idea if you want a translation people won't laugh at. It's going to be especially poor at pool-English. Your best bet is to find someone like those mentioned before who know both pool and Spanish. Maybe Oscar D.?

dr9ball
10-26-2010, 09:14 AM
I am considering translating my books, Banking With The Beard and The GosPool into the Spanish language in order to reach a larger audience. I dont have a clue as to how to go about it. Any serious professional suggestions would be appreciated. Please no guesses as to how to do it. I am more than capable of doing that myself.

Beard

Perhaps this service could be of use to you.

http://www.bbspanish.com/

Yukon Ed
10-26-2010, 05:51 PM
Freddy,

Without a doubt, the perfect person for this job is Victor Maduro. He lives in Panama and is the most knowledgeable player/promoter/coach/author/tournament director/historian/and all-around pool and billiard fan that you'll ever meet. He authored the first book, written in spanish, that is dedicated to 9-ball. http://www.docstoc.com/docs/5460818/LA-ESQUINA-DEL-BILLAR-Por-V%C3%ADctor-Maduro-madurovictor-hotmail

He's fluent in english, spanish, and most importantly: he knows the lingo used in the game. He's a great guy, easy to get along with, quick to reply to correspondence, and very detail oriented.

Robert Byrne used a few of Victor's shots and ideas in his books. :thumbup:

His e-mail address: madurovictor@hotmail.com
His website: http://www.cpbillar.net/tecnicas.htm
- You'll find many articles written in spanish that can be translated. You'll quickly discover the inherent problem of literal translation.

vasilios
10-26-2010, 05:57 PM
Did you ask your printer if they can do it.

bill

Cue Guru
10-27-2010, 06:40 AM
I avoided this when I first saw it, but my Wife is a Spanish teacher (over 12 years now with many certifications) and also has done ESL training in Spain as well as South America. She has lived in Spain for a year or so as well.

In addition to the translation, she is familiar with the differences in dialect between Spain, Mexico and South America, where one word can have very different meanings. (she also can usually tell where a person speaking Spanish is from just by their accent and word usage but that has little relevance here).

If interested, PM me and then I will see if she is interested in this as a summer project. With her language skills and my Pool exposure, we (mostly her) should be able to do it for you.:thumbup:

SUPERSTAR
10-27-2010, 09:28 AM
I avoided this when I first saw it, but my Wife is a Spanish teacher (over 12 years now with many certifications) and also has done ESL training in Spain as well as South America. She has lived in Spain for a year or so as well.

In addition to the translation, she is familiar with the differences in dialect between Spain, Mexico and South America, where one word can have very different meanings. (she also can usually tell where a person speaking Spanish is from just by their accent and word usage but that has little relevance here).

If interested, PM me and then I will see if she is interested in this as a summer project. With her language skills and my Pool exposure, we (mostly her) should be able to do it for you.:thumbup:

This is the inherent difficulty with translating it into Spanish.

I know several Spanish teachers, and one i know is the head trainer of the interpreting company that is in charge of the medical and court interpreting throughout the majority of Philadelphia.

Believe me, one word can mean the difference between a mistrial, a malpractice lawsuit or smooth sailing.

I don't really think that mistranslating a couple of pool terms is going to be the end of the world, but there will definitely be an impact on the effect that any slang has if it is not done properly, or without someone who knows pool, there to explain it properly.

I think that Beard's best bet is to aim for a generalized translation if he is aiming at the united states Spanish audience.
If he's going to do it for specific countries, then that is probably a little more complicated, but not much.

freddy the beard
10-28-2010, 03:08 AM

Am interested. Sent a PM.

Beard

Peter@CEP
10-30-2010, 01:18 AM
Freddy

He is an Englishman who has lived in Spain for many years and is fluent in the language. He was involved in translating the BCA rules into Spanish.
He is held in high regard throughout the world and was recently inducted into the Spanish Billiards Hall of Fame for his services to the game.

The best way to contact him quickly is on Facebook or I will PM you his number if you want it
Doug Gordon

Thanks Doug for volunteering for me, I will kill you when I see you next:grin: As if I haventīgot enough to do already.
The problem with automatic translation tools is that many words have different meanings and as somebody has already mentioned, Pool would be translated as piscina which is a swimming pool.
You definitely need a professional translator for this job and later someone who not only speaks Spanish but understands the language of the game to proof read the article.

Foolio
10-30-2010, 01:40 AM
... somebody has already mentioned, Pool would be translated as piscina which is a swimming pool.

Thank you for correcting my spelling! It is rather different to study the languange than to learn it from growing up.

Beard, please let us know how this little venture goes. Do you have an idea where you would be selling this book?

freddy the beard
10-30-2010, 05:26 AM
Freddy

Doug Gordon

Thanks anyway, Doug,
I am already in contact with several people just like Peter. I'll keep him in mind, tho.

Beard

freddy the beard
10-30-2010, 05:33 AM
Thanks Doug for volunteering for me, I will kill you when I see you next:grin: As if I haventīgot enough to do already.
The problem with automatic translation tools is that many words have different meanings and as somebody has already mentioned, Pool would be translated as piscina which is a swimming pool.
You definitely need a professional translator for this job and later someone who not only speaks Spanish but understands the language of the game to proof read the article.

...I will keep you in mind, Peter. You sound like the right kind of guy, but I have already contacted a couple people who have similar qualifications. I would be more than glad to send you a copy when it is finished, however.

Beard
Just PM or email me some contact info if you would like a copy.
bankingwiththebeard@comcast.net

freddy the beard
10-30-2010, 05:34 AM
Thank you for correcting my spelling! It is rather different to study the languange than to learn it from growing up.

Beard, please let us know how this little venture goes. Do you have an idea where you would be selling this book?

I will put it up on my website, along with Amazon.com and Ebay. I will also be seeking international Spanish outlets.

Beard

I havent mentioned this yet, but Banking With The Beard has already been translated into Chinese and 5000 copies have been distributed through a Peking publisher. Cost in China = $2.70, however

Bob Jewett
10-30-2010, 06:46 AM
... I havent mentioned this yet, but Banking With The Beard has already been translated into Chinese and 5000 copies have been distributed through a Peking publisher. Cost in China = $2.70, however
There's a picture of the cover in a previous post.

freddy the beard
10-31-2010, 05:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddy the beard
... I havent mentioned this yet, but Banking With The Beard has already been translated into Chinese and 5000 copies have been distributed through a Peking publisher. Cost in China = $2.70, however

There's a picture of the cover in a previous post.

I'll repost it, Bob.

Beard

Voodoo Daddy
10-31-2010, 07:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddy the beard

I'll repost it, Bob.

Beard

I seen that text before...I think Bob just orderd Beef and Broccoli..:rolleyes:smirk.

Voo~~hope I get to see ya in January

jensen_lover
10-31-2010, 07:25 AM
You should go to Barnes and Noble or on Amazon and find books originally written in Spanish and see who translated them into English, or vice versa, and hire that person. If you are looking for a Russian translation, for instance, Larissa Volkhonsky and her husband would be your best bet.

Vahmurka
11-01-2010, 03:05 AM
If you are looking for a Russian translation, for instance, Larissa Volkhonsky and her husband would be your best bet.or you could contact me if you plan to hit the ex-Soviet market :grin-square:

[OFFTOPIC]
I already own both your books and all the banking DVDs Freddy. Last week a friend borrowed the videos from me and later he returned with a jaw dropped. He is shooting at about shortstop level, and he immediately jumped to the table practicing. And he doesn't understand English, so he does not follow your advice but just shoots what he feels right trying to duplicate you. And hey, he is successful. I imagine what his banking level will be if I start reading him your books!
[/OFFTOPIC ENDS]

freddy the beard
11-01-2010, 05:11 AM
You should go to Barnes and Noble or on Amazon and find books originally written in Spanish and see who translated them into English, or vice versa, and hire that person. If you are looking for a Russian translation, for instance, Larissa Volkhonsky and her husband would be your best bet.

How would I contact Larissa Volkhonsky and her hub?

Beard

I have a few Spanish trans prospects already

freddy the beard
11-01-2010, 05:13 AM
or you could contact me if you plan to hit the ex-Soviet market :grin-square:

[OFFTOPIC]
I already own both your books and all the banking DVDs Freddy. Last week a friend borrowed the videos from me and later he returned with a jaw dropped. He is shooting at about shortstop level, and he immediately jumped to the table practicing. And he doesn't understand English, so he does not follow your advice but just shoots what he feels right trying to duplicate you. And hey, he is successful. I imagine what his banking level will be if I start reading him your books!
[/OFFTOPIC ENDS]

The way this economy is going I would love to hit any new market! Open to any suggestions.

Beard