PDA

View Full Version : My FAVORITE pool commentator.

JoeyA
10-25-2010, 01:15 PM
There has been a lot of discussion about who is the best commentator or most favorite commentator. Like some have mentioned. appreciation is in the eye/ear of the beholder.

This isn't a scientific poll and it's just something for you to express your personal preference.

This is also a private poll and no one will know who you voted for unless you write in a post.

Also, while you might wish to vote for multiple commentators, this poll will not allow for that.

JAM
10-25-2010, 01:21 PM
Cheezy peezy, Joey. Life is like a box of chocolates, and I can't pick just one. :grin:

You left out one of my all-time faves, and that's Jerry Forsyth. When he and Sid were in the box together, it was magic. My other half does not enjoy watching pool on TV, but when a match came on with Jerry and Sid, he was glued to the tube, as was I. :wink:

dorabelle
10-25-2010, 01:22 PM
hey, where is Geoff Conway?

JAM
10-25-2010, 01:22 PM
Also, while you might wish to vote for multiple commentators, this poll will not allow for that.

I think you can allow multiple choices on the poll. Maybe I'm on the wrong forum, but I thought I had done that before on a poll thread. :o

PocketPoint
10-25-2010, 01:23 PM
I pick Jimmy Mataya

Pushout
10-25-2010, 01:25 PM
Ewa! How ya like them apples, eh?

JAM
10-25-2010, 01:26 PM
And let's not forget Allen Hopkins. I really enjoy Allen, too.

I like them all, dag nab it. :grin-square:

bfdlad
10-25-2010, 01:29 PM
Too many choices here, I hate to pick just one. You shouldbeableto pick 2 that way you have a double team in the box.

the420trooper
10-25-2010, 01:31 PM
What, no Mark Wilson? That guy taught me as much or more about pool than most of the names on that list.

Billy I. is easily my favorite among those listed, but I think he and MW are very close on the knowledge scale.

poolcuemaster
10-25-2010, 01:34 PM
I don't see where to vote on the poll but I like Grady, Billy and Buddy Hall the best of all accu-stats commentator's. I have over 150 tapes and won't buy one with Wych because I have to turn the sound off to watch a tape he is in the booth on. I listened to the tv while watching the US Open PPV the last few years if Jim was calling the match but I really liked the guy from Tn. that built the accu-stats arena. (Gibbs) maybe--Leonard

PS Joey A did a good job in Fayettville NC during Shannons tourney

alstl
10-25-2010, 01:34 PM
I voted for DiLiberto but I have to give a shout out to an old timer, Whispering Joe Wilson.

greyghost
10-25-2010, 01:42 PM
what no one likes Mitch L? lol

spktur
10-25-2010, 02:24 PM
None better than Billy.

oldzilla
10-25-2010, 02:25 PM
Maybe not in the booth as much but Buddy Hall is my favorite and I also think he IS the best of the ones mentioned.

But if I was in there ! :rolleyes:

MaxEnglish
10-25-2010, 02:29 PM
Of those listed, Danny D. A special mention to Jerry Forsyth, Steve Davis and Bob Guerrero as ateam during the 2006 WPC. But the person I enjoyed listening to most was Jimmy Mataya (with Danny D) at the DCC Ring game back in 2004 or something... Priceless...

PocketPoint
10-25-2010, 02:32 PM
We need more special guest appearances by Jimmy Mataya

Luxury
10-25-2010, 02:35 PM
Wysch is my fave.

Eric.
10-25-2010, 02:38 PM
Mitch Laurence.

Eric >actually, Billy Incardona is my fav

PocketPoint
10-25-2010, 02:38 PM
Wych is beating Grady right now:confused::confused::confused:

JAM
10-25-2010, 02:39 PM
Wysch is my fave.

I like Jim Wych, too. It's the second time that you have mentioned Jim Wych's name, so I thought you may enjoy seeing his website, to include the correct spelling of his name! :wink:

Jim Wych's website (http://www.jimwych.com)

Majic
10-25-2010, 02:41 PM
Cheezy peezy, Joey. Life is like a box of chocolates, and I can't pick just one. :grin:

You left out one of my all-time faves, and that's Jerry Forsyth. When he and Sid were in the box together, it was magic. My other half does not enjoy watching pool on TV, but when a match came on with Jerry and Sid, he was glued to the tube, as was I. :wink:

I think Jerry is the best and there are a few ladies missin too !!

pt109
10-25-2010, 02:42 PM
I couldn't pick any one commentor,but there are combos i like.
Diliberto and Incardone
Hall,Matthews and Diliberto
I think Waddel and Wych are pros and work well with anyone.
..for you Wych detractors...Jimmy won a favorite commentator poll
a while back.

..there's one name not mentioned....
..a guy named Joey from the 'Nawlins area..
..modesty will get you nothing in the pool world

Voodoo Daddy
10-25-2010, 03:12 PM
I did pick Grady, woulda picked Billy to make the perfecta. Best 1-2 punch in the booth!!!

dabarbr
10-25-2010, 03:13 PM
You left out one name that should be on that list. He matches up with the best of them. Our own Joey A.

chevybob20
10-25-2010, 03:26 PM
I agree with Joey A doing a fine job.

mnorwood
10-25-2010, 04:03 PM
Where's Mitch Lawrence?:grin:

philw
10-25-2010, 04:12 PM
I think the Beard should also be considered. He's very knowledgeable and so damn funny.

Chi2dxa
10-25-2010, 05:22 PM
I like Danny for the facts. He can explain the game the way it should be played. I like Danny and Grady together for facts and great stories. Now Sid is funny as Hell and can get a blind man to watch pool.

Oh I forgot...Allen Hopkins make me reach for my gun or atleast the mute button.

JoeyA
10-25-2010, 05:26 PM

Aww gee! You are so right about Jerry Forsyth and what about Mike Howerton? :o:(

Mike H, would you mind reprogramming the bulletin board so I can add in some additional names? :grin:

Seriously though, I wish I had added them both in. There are probably a lot of others who could be listed.

Maybe we can have a write in as well.

Sorry Jam, the pool only allows 10 choices and you can have only one of the chocolates. :wink:

JoeyA
10-25-2010, 05:27 PM
I think you can allow multiple choices on the poll. Maybe I'm on the wrong forum, but I thought I had done that before on a poll thread. :o

No, I chose not to allow for the multiple choices.

There can only be one. LOL

iusedtoberich
10-25-2010, 05:31 PM
Bentivegna gives the next best choice the 7.

strtshtr
10-25-2010, 05:42 PM
I watch only straight pool, and Danny is easily the best, in my opinion. He teams well with nearly anyone, but he and Billy together are a classic duo.

I also enjoy Bill "Weenie Beanie" Staton's work.

JoeyA
10-25-2010, 06:01 PM
I pick Jimmy Mataya
Whew! I am taking some lashes on this poll. You're right Jimmy is special fo shizzle.

Ewa! How ya like them apples, eh?
Listening to Ewa doing commentary is an almost heavenly visual experience (well, for some of the guys anyway, at least that's what they say :o) :grin:.

And let's not forget Allen Hopkins. I really enjoy Allen, too.

I've always like Allen's knowledge of the game and especially his unique accent. LOL

[QUOTE=bfdlad;2674806]Too many choices here, I hate to pick just one. You shouldbeableto pick 2 that way you have a double team in the box. The poll only allows multiple choices or single choice if I am not mistaken.

What, no Mark Wilson? That guy taught me as much or more about pool than most of the names on that list.
Mark Wilson is one of the most popular instructor players on the planet and does a great job doing commentary although I have only heard him once.

[QUOTE=poolcuemaster;2674818]I don't see where to vote on the poll but I like Grady, Billy and Buddy Hall the best of all accu-stats commentator's. I have over 150 tapes and won't buy one with Wych because I have to turn the sound off to watch a tape he is in the booth on. I listened to the tv while watching the US Open PPV the last few years if Jim was calling the match but I really liked the guy from Tn. that built the accu-stats arena. (Gibbs) maybe--Leonard
Maybe someone can elaborate about "Gibbs" from TN?

PS Joey A did a good job in Fayettville NC during Shannons tourney Thanks! That's very nice of you.

what no one likes Mitch L? lol
Don't get mean on my poll GG.:wink:

Of those listed, Danny D. A special mention to Jerry Forsyth, Steve Davis and Bob Guerrero as ateam during the 2006 WPC. But the person I enjoyed listening to most was Jimmy Mataya (with Danny D) at the DCC Ring game back in 2004 or something... Priceless...
The problem with a lot of commentators like some of the ones you mentioned and others that you didn't mention is that they are part time commentators and seldom do commentary.

I couldn't pick any one commentor,but there are combos i like.
Diliberto and Incardone
Hall,Matthews and Diliberto
I think Waddel and Wych are pros and work well with anyone.
..for you Wych detractors...Jimmy won a favorite commentator poll
a while back.

I've spoken to other European commentators about the different styles of commentary because when I do commentary I want to know why others choose to utilize different styles and I'm not going to give away any secrets but let's just say that they have VERY GOOD REASONS for their own styles. OK, I'll give you a hint: It's all about the target audience.

..there's one name not mentioned....
..a guy named Joey from the 'Nawlins area..
..modesty will get you nothing in the pool world
Gee. :blush:

You left out one name that should be on that list. He matches up with the best of them. Our own Joey A.
I would have used one of those canoodle emoticons but I read the definition of canoodle and chose otherwise. I guess I will just have save a few bucks to play you some one pocket. :smile:

I agree with Joey A doing a fine job. Thanks Bob.

I think the Beard should also be considered. He's very knowledgeable and so damn funny.
Freddy the Beard is awesome in person and doing commentary.

It's true, that each person has their own unique contribution to commentary. The truth is I like variety in commentary and it is impossible for me to pick a favorite.

Buddy Hall has been missing from the commentary booth in the past several years and I like his voice, his pool knowledge and his sense of humor. I only mention his name because I haven't heard him do commentary for some time. He and I were hired to work for Taylor Road Production in Galveston, TX and at the last minute, his brother became deathly ill and Buddy's wife had her share of illness. Besides, he and I shared many years with a mutual friend, New York Blackie.

Grady is a friend of mine and I will always be his friend.

I can't think of anyone that I wouldn't enjoy working with. I love to learn from others and enjoy making sure that my co-commentator has a good time, sounds good and is comfortable in their role and the audience's expectations are surpassed. The sponsors also deserve our utmost respect and I enjoy showcasing their products and services. I am very competitive in anything I do and what I lack in talent or experience I will make up with sheer determination to be the best that I can be.

Unfortunately for me, the pool world and Nigeria, the president of Nigeria died before fulfilling his dreams of a major international Nigerian pool tournament in which I was to be the anchor commentator. Not tooting my own horn, just typing as thoughts run through my mind. Life goes on for some of us and that's a good thing. :yes:

Thanks for participating in the poll. I hope to see lots of voting going on.

And just to reiterate, no one can see how you voted.

pwd72s
10-25-2010, 06:11 PM
How can I vote? Joey A isn't on the ballot. :grin-square:

sandfoot
10-25-2010, 06:24 PM
But the person I enjoyed listening to most was Jimmy Mataya (with Danny D) at the DCC Ring game back in 2004 or something... Priceless...

I remember that ring game, that was the best comentary I've ever heard. Those guys were hillarious together. The only guy I really can't stand to listen to is Jim Wych. He was so annoying during the Mosconi Cup I had to mute the sound. He kept saying "To a man" over and over.

westcoast
10-25-2010, 06:32 PM
I think DD and Incardona together are hilarious.

smoooothstroke
10-25-2010, 06:57 PM
Billy (1

Danny (2

The 2 of them working together make for the most entertaining commentary ever.

I like how Billy can browbeat anyone who is with him in the booth and do it in a nice way.

The OP is a pretty good commentator as well.I think you did the Efren vs Daulton match (Galveston)with some help from Jeremy Jones.

Hungarian
10-25-2010, 07:30 PM
Can't beat Danny doing color and Billy doing play by play...IMO

Hungarian
10-25-2010, 07:33 PM
I agree, I enjoyed JJ's work in Galveston..

Billy (1

Danny (2

The 2 of them working together make for the most entertaining commentary ever.

I like how Billy can browbeat anyone who is with him in the booth and do it in a nice way.

The OP is a pretty good commentator as well.I think you did the Efren vs Daulton match (Galveston)with some help from Jeremy Jones.

3andstop
10-25-2010, 07:52 PM
I think DD and Incardona together are hilarious.

I agree, they are by far the classic duo. Add Grady to that mix and the fireworks start.

I didn't care for Bill Staton, he always seemed more concerned with how well he guessed the exact position of the CB than he was about anything else.

Jim Wych is knowledgeable but very dry.

Who was that Geoff Conway? ( is that his name?) don't loose him. I was watching on my laptop in the dining room. I hung a noose from my chandelier and put it around my neck, got up on the dining room chair when my wife caught me and turned the volume off. :speechless:

D_Lewis
10-25-2010, 08:30 PM
I picked Jim Wych, really nice guy every time Ive ever talked with him.

I also like Jay in the booth.

BRKNRUN
10-25-2010, 08:41 PM
Who is the english or scottish guy that did some commentary for the world pool matches on ESPN....He had lots of ENERGY in his commentary.

APA7
10-26-2010, 03:37 AM
Sounds like JoeyA had a second agenda with this post, right, `have words, will travel`? :sorry::boring2::rolleyes:

Steve Logan
10-26-2010, 04:30 AM
I like Jay, Jimmy, and Kim Davenport.

metallicane
10-26-2010, 05:59 AM
I think Wych is the best pure announcer, but DiLiberto or Billy are the most knowledgeable. Grady, while I enjoy his commentating, frequently misses on how a player is going to play a rack. It is comical. (at least the matches I have seen.) With that said, I enjoy Grady's commentating because he is old school and still has great stories to tell. He is a guy that has been there and done that.

Luxury
03-10-2011, 01:32 PM
I couldn't find the Jim Wysch quotes thread but I just heard a good one.

"Corey couldn't be more disappointed than if you told him he had to take a bath with his Grandmother."

DJKeys
03-10-2011, 02:02 PM
Is one of the best commentators and one of the best players.

Roy Steffensen
03-10-2011, 02:18 PM
I think Jeremy Jones commentary during the one-pocket in Galveston is the best I've heard

pulzcul
03-10-2011, 02:21 PM
Missing one of the best on your list. Mark Wilson

Blackjack
03-10-2011, 02:28 PM
My favorite is Danny Barouty .
;)

JoeyA
03-10-2011, 05:03 PM
Missing one of the best on your list. Mark Wilson

Yes, my bad. I've heard Mark commentate just one time and he was very good.

JoeyA

JoeyA
03-10-2011, 05:07 PM
I think Jeremy Jones commentary during the one-pocket in Galveston is the best I've heard

Sure, sure, but it takes talent to make someone look THAT good. He must have had a talented co-commentator. But seriously, Jeremy is one of the best I have ever done commentary with.

This thread is pretty old but it's still got legs. Roll on. Maybe the powers that be will notice some of the preferences.

One of the things I would like for some of you to do is to EXPLAIN why you like a particular commentator and how he is different from others.

Thanks,
JoeyA

LAlouie
03-10-2011, 05:07 PM
Vin Scully. Followed closely by Dawn "never make mistakes" Hopkins.

JoeyA
03-10-2011, 05:08 PM
Who is the english or scottish guy that did some commentary for the world pool matches on ESPN....He had lots of ENERGY in his commentary.

If your question hasn't already been answered. Sid Wadell is who I think you are thinking of.

bud green
03-10-2011, 05:26 PM
One Pocket- Beard, Grady, Billy I

Nine Ball-Buddy, BI, Grady or Varner

14.1: Grady, DD, John Schmidt

There are a ton of guys who do an excellent job like Wilson, Dave Maddux, Jeff Carter,etc...but I still prefer the picks above.

Most of the streamers have had cool commentators...Fast Lenny does a good job as well on the mic.

Nothing feels more like real pool to me than early Accu-Stats with Grady and Billy with guests like the Beard or Buddy.