PDA

View Full Version : Question about the cue ball frozen to another ball

Murdoch7627
10-25-2010, 04:44 PM
I thought I heard Danny D. in a comment during the US Open say that if the CB was frozen to an OB then you could shoot directly away from the frozen OB where the OB did not move at all and it would still be a legal shot. Did I misunderstand? I have never seen anybody do that nor did I think it was legal.

mikepage
10-25-2010, 04:45 PM
I thought I heard Danny D. in a comment during the US Open say that if the CB was frozen to an OB then you could shoot directly away from the frozen OB where the OB did not move at all and it would still be a legal shot. Did I misunderstand? I have never seen anybody do that nor did I think it was legal.

This is not a legal shot at pool under any rules that I know (assuming you have to get credit for a "hit" on that ball.

Snooker is a different dtory

Murdoch7627
10-25-2010, 04:51 PM
Sorry I did not make that clear. Let's say we are playing 9 ball and you are frozen on the one ball. Does the on ball have to move at all?

Murdoch7627
10-25-2010, 04:53 PM
"one ball" not "on ball". Spell checking did not help at all there, did it?

Brian in VA
10-25-2010, 05:25 PM
You misunderstood. It is not a legal shot. If the cue ball is frozen to a legal object ball, you can shoot directly into it with a level stroke and that is a legal stroke.

Brian in VA

Murdoch7627
10-25-2010, 05:51 PM
The more I think about it the more confused I get. How does the CB contact the OB "more" if you shoot into it as opposed to if you shoot away from it. In both cases the instant you cue tip hit the CB the two balls separate regardless if you shoot into the OB versus away from the OB. Is there some rule that says the OB must move at least a millionth of an inch?

Let us say that I shoot the CB into the OB so soft that it just freezes to the OB but the OB does not move even a millionth of an inch. Is that a legal hit?

Tom In Cincy
10-25-2010, 05:56 PM
In the general rules of pocket billiards, once contact is made, a ball has to hit the rail.

When you have to make contact with the object ball, you have to hit it. Shooting directly away (perpendicular) from an OB when the CUE is frozen to the OB, you do not hit the ball, you just move away from it.

Unless you play Snooker.

The more I think about it the more confused I get. How does the CB contact the OB "more" if you shoot into it as opposed to if you shoot away from it. In both cases the instant you cue tip hit the CB the two balls separate regardless if you shoot into the OB versus away from the OB. Is there some rule that says the OB must move at least a millionth of an inch?

Let us say that I shoot the CB into the OB so soft that it just freezes to the OB but the OB does not move even a millionth of an inch. Is that a legal hit?

Bob Jewett
10-25-2010, 06:18 PM
... Is there some rule that says the OB must ...
The rules are here on the WPA website (http://www.wpa-pool.com/index.asp?content=rules_tournament). Any time you have a question about them, it's safer (and maybe easier) to start there rather than ask here. The particular section of the rule that applies to your question is (from rule 6.7):

... if the cue ball is touching an object ball at the start of the shot, it is legal to shoot towards or partly into that ball (provided it is a legal target within the rules of the game) and if the object ball is moved by such a shot, it is considered to have been contacted by the cue ball. ...

Bob Jewett
10-25-2010, 06:22 PM
... Let us say that I shoot the CB into the OB so soft that it just freezes to the OB but the OB does not move even a millionth of an inch. Is that a legal hit?
As Tom mentioned, the rules of pool require you to "get to a rail" after contact of the cue ball with a legal object ball. If nothing moves after the cue ball contacts the object ball, you probably will not "get to a rail."

One way to decide whether a shot is a foul or not is to go through the list of fouls in the rules and see if that shot violated any rule.

Murdoch7627
10-25-2010, 06:24 PM
Thanks, Bob, and I will follow your suggestion in the future. Sorry to bother all on AZ.