PDA

View Full Version : Cue Extension vs. bridge

Donovan_45
10-26-2010, 10:24 AM
Hello,

I understand that an extension makes the cue longer, but why would someone use an extension over a bridge?

Thanks,

Corey

Neil
10-26-2010, 10:41 AM
It allows one to use a near normal stroke, and they aren't as good at using the stroke required with a bridge.

hangemhigh
10-26-2010, 10:44 AM
It allows one to use a near normal stroke, and they aren't as good at using the stroke required with a bridge.

An extension can serve you well for shots that require a little longer reach than normal, not so much when you have to reach and shoot over balls though. You have better feel of your stroke with the extension.

Mr. Wiggles
10-26-2010, 03:57 PM
Extentions are easier for some people especially those who refuse to learn to use a bridge. More feel and control with extentions on some shots. I bought a nice Longoni ext. but the damm thing scratched my butt. Be careful with nice sticks.

cheapcues.com
10-26-2010, 04:05 PM
Also you can use both- the extension would allow you to use a normal stroke when using a bridge.

ceebee
10-26-2010, 04:38 PM
An extension can serve you well for shots that require a little longer reach than normal, not so much when you have to reach and shoot over balls though. You have better feel of your stroke with the extension.

My sentiments... I use the bridge when necessary, but the extension is a nice accessory too...

Good Luck,

ridewiththewind
10-26-2010, 04:43 PM
I've gotten pretty proficient with a bridge...so would likely take a pass on the extension.

Kickin' Chicken
10-26-2010, 05:18 PM
The first time I saw someone use both an extension and bridge was Stevie Moore playing for the New York title.

For those extra long stretch shots that you might ordinarily not take with a bridge alone, the combo of a bridge and extension can be a powerful tool. You can shoot your normal pendulum stroke shot off the bridge with relative ease.

I have a Hager extension and love it. High quality, virtually indestructable, and has a terrific webbing inside that is cue friendly, no scratching.

And for crying out loud, if you're gonna get an extension, get a 24". :thumbup:

Best,
Brian kc

Donovan_45
10-26-2010, 06:17 PM
Thanks for all the helpful responces. That totally clears that up.

Corey

Maniac
10-26-2010, 07:45 PM
Extentions are easier for some people especially those who refuse to learn to use a bridge. More feel and control with extentions on some shots. I bought a nice Longoni ext. but the damm thing scratched my butt. Be careful with nice sticks.

In my league "circle of friends", I know of at least three persons that absolutely refuse to use/learn to use a bridge. I wish I had a mixed drink for every game and/or match they've lost by stretching out and missing the shot or mis-cueing with that 2-foot bridge length.

I too have the Longoni extension (and a Tony Ryan also) but it hasn't damaged any of my cues. They are all players and none of them would qualify as a "nice stick".

I became proficient with the mechanical bridge just prior to and immediately after having surgery on my bridge-side shoulder. Now, I can't count how many times that simple little tool has bailed me out of an otherwise tough shot. Being around the poolrooms as long as it has, I have never understood the disdain people have for the mechanical bridge.

Maniac

conetip
10-26-2010, 08:55 PM
I have mostly seen people use the extension with a bridge.The extension allows you to have a better stance and reach over the ball.Snooker players seem to be more favourable with a cue extension and bridge. They are big tables.