PDA

View Full Version : Shooting ambi


Bluewolf
04-24-2003, 09:51 AM
Why shoot with one if you can shoot with both?

Why do an awkward bridge to shoot over balls just to use your dominant hand if you can use your non dominant hand and it is an easy shot?

Why use a bridge on a simple simple rail shot, when you can easily pot it with the other hand?

Why break with your dominant hand if you break better with your non dominant one?

Why use a mechanical bridge if you dont have to?

I shoot some shots better with my left, some better with my right. In karate, although I could stand in a fighting stance on either side, some kicks were better left, and some right.

I have had players actually come up to me out of nowhere, and I mean good players and say 'dont let anyone tell you to pick just one, the both handed player has the edge'

And think about the mental edge...

Just thoughts .

Laura

Chucklez65
04-24-2003, 11:41 AM
I agree with you completely Laura - a player that can even make "easy" shots with the opposite hand has quite an advantage over someone who shoots equally with you with just one hand. Overall, I think the player that does not have to use the bridge to shoot their shots will make less mistakes than will someone of equal ability shooting both right and left handed.

Chuck

Bluewolf
04-24-2003, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Chucklez65
I agree with you completely Laura - a player that can even make "easy" shots with the opposite hand has quite an advantage over someone who shoots equally with you with just one hand. Overall, I think the player that does not have to use the bridge to shoot their shots will make less mistakes than will someone of equal ability shooting both right and left handed.

Chuck

Thanks. I always developed both sides like in Karate and swimming. I enjoyed these emmensely but I was also trying to retard the progress of a certain progressive spinal problem that I have. When I came to pool, I was used to using both, so I did it in pool too.

At first,in pool, my left was hard because I could not get my bridge right. In time, I noticed that I could not tell a difference which hand was better for shooting. But since I had lessons with my right, I kept using it in matches, escept for certain 'left handed' shots. Then it became apparent that my cuts were more accurate with my left.

I talked to my doctor yesterday and am now trying to see if they can 'fix' me enough so I can shoot leftie more...

So we will see...

But I still think that ambi is pretty kool

Laura

Phong Do Khoi
04-25-2003, 12:17 AM
I'll bet it makes for a great hustle ;)

"C'mon... I'll play you left handed..."

hehe

Cardinal_Syn
04-25-2003, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by Bluewolf
Why shoot with one if you can shoot with both?

Why do an awkward bridge to shoot over balls just to use your dominant hand if you can use your non dominant hand and it is an easy shot?

Why use a bridge on a simple simple rail shot, when you can easily pot it with the other hand?

Why break with your dominant hand if you break better with your non dominant one?

Why use a mechanical bridge if you dont have to?

I shoot some shots better with my left, some better with my right. In karate, although I could stand in a fighting stance on either side, some kicks were better left, and some right.

I have had players actually come up to me out of nowhere, and I mean good players and say 'dont let anyone tell you to pick just one, the both handed player has the edge'

And think about the mental edge...

Just thoughts .

Laura
yeah i hate using the bridge.....i missed so many shots some even very easy cause of this. That's why whenever i can i pot it with my other hand, maybe even behind the back(i'm getting comfortable with it)

Bluewolf
04-25-2003, 05:10 AM
Originally posted by Phong Do Khoi
I'll bet it makes for a great hustle ;)

"C'mon... I'll play you left handed..."

hehe

Man. If I were the hustling type.... Last night in the pre game warmups, there is this apa sl4 I frquently practice with. She beats.

She is good on all shots, banks and can play some position. She is very decent for her skill and experience.

Last night I played left and beat her, playing left.
This woman is so unliked by all of the rest of our team, they were whooping that I beat her, even if it is practice only. She wanted to play again. I walked away leaving her steaming. No money involved so just a case of her ego being bruised a bit . LOL

Later in the evening, like 11-12pm, I was playing some other players and was so fatigued, I had to switch back to my right, with using the left just a little.

I just need a little stamina built up for my left and to learn to break better with my left.

I have a very severe spinal scoliosis, which was diagnosed at 12 years of age. I was given 3 options. Back surgery and back then it was not all that successful, a brace 24 hours a day and wait and see. I chose to wait and see and worked on good posture, at first.

People with scoliosis, frquently get worse by age 18. I did not. The others who have it usually get worse with age. I decided to fight. I worked on having very good muscles and to work to develop muscles on both sides of my back to help it from not getting worse. I think that it bought me more time.

I also am more talented when shooting left, but my left leg is shorter than my right. So, when shooting left, my body went into excruciating pain for two days. Two days ago, the docs put a lift in my left shoe. So far so good.

I still fatigue more with left handed shooting but hope that it will get better with time.

So for now I am ambi.

Laura

Bluewolf
04-25-2003, 03:07 PM
It definately gives you the mental edge. Just another tool of guile in competition. There is this lady on our pool team who is very good for her apa skill level.

We often play before a match, and I could never quite beat her in 8 ball. It seemed like it always came down to one ball and then she would win because she is good on those long cuts.

She is quite the 'witch of the west' and my whole team has agreed to kick her off next session.

Well last night, she knew I was shooting 'off handed' and the balls were zinging in, and I beat her for the first time. by then our team had been reasigned to another table so I went to that table. She was fuming.

Everybody was so happy that i had beaten her because they do ot like her. I do not know if I just had another mental edge or what, but all she had was one ball and I kept leaving her long 90% cuts. needless to say she was very upset that she could not beat me.

I am not that great of a player, but I know my limitations and know when to play safe and how to leave another person long and hard.

Laura