PDA

View Full Version : Earl vs. Shane

gulyassy
03-27-2011, 09:22 AM
I have had a grueling 3 weeks on the road doing the Pro tournaments at The Masters, Super Billiard Expo and the Earl Shane match. I am just getting back to normal here at my shop. First off I would like to congratulate both Earl and Shane for putting on the best pool match I have ever witnessed in my 45 years being in the sport of pool. Both these players played on the toughest table I ever tried to make a ball on. It was so amazing to see these warriors preform on live viewing, under the most adverse conditions I have ever seen. I was positioned on the left of Justin's set up and had a birds eye view of the entire set. I could not believe the beginning of the match. There were people positioned all over the room doing things I could not believe. They had the snack bags and drinks and used them strategically to disrupt the players. I don't know how Shane did not get sharked more than he did. I saw people waiting for Earl's final stroke to crunch the chips. They were warned that anymore of this and they would be evicted. I saw one person raise his drink at the last moment and when Earl got up and said something he lowered his can and I could not believe but raised it again as Earl got down, back up and down with Earl's motions. It was not only intentional but as rude as I have ever witnessed anywhere but in a pool room where the whole room was trying to shark the road man trying to beat the home town hero. I have been in plenty of these situations in my 20 years on the road gambling in pool rooms and faded it. Now I witnessed people talking and laughing while Earl was shooting. I know we are a long way from respect for pool players from people betting against the other guy. There were a couple of instances where people were doing things that disturbed Earl that were unintentional but both Earl and Shane came to me complaining about situations that I did my best to fix. My partner Mike, the owner of the pool room did his best to control the people also. He got on his own customers for both players, for the sharking and did not show any favoritism. He was as stressed out as I have ever witnessed a person for a gambling situation. Everybody knows how Earl is when he plays, he voices his opinion about anything and everything. Did Shane condemn Earl in their first match when he blistered Earl 100 to 65 or whatever it was, no they shook hands just like in the 2nd match. And I was sponsoring Earl in the first match also and Earl was exactly the same. You know how he is and if you cannot handle it don't play or watch. He is the best player we have in pool and the biggest resume and the most watched, what do you think and who is next?

Tennesseejoe
03-27-2011, 09:35 AM
This is the type of event that can bring pool to a viewer interest level. This is how sports can make money for the players.

Great job and idea.

gulyassy
03-27-2011, 09:37 AM
This is the type of event that can bring pool to a viewer interest level. This is how sports can make money for the players.

Great job and idea.

It is sure not coming from the amateur leagues like in golf, bowling and tennis, is it.

Roadking
03-27-2011, 09:53 AM
Well said! I wasn't there Friday night but I know the guy your talking about sharking Earl. I'm embarrasted to say I know that guy,he's the biggest drunken asshole piece of shit I might know. Someone should have drug him out of there by his goat ass goatee and beat his ass. He was there again on Saturday and again being a drunken asshole.
Anyway I just want to say great tournament & I hope thier will be plenty more to come from Ice Breakers.

ChicagoRJ
03-27-2011, 10:53 AM
I have had a grueling 3 weeks on the road doing the Pro tournaments at The Masters, Super Billiard Expo and the Earl Shane match. I am just getting back to normal here at my shop. First off I would like to congratulate both Earl and Shane for putting on the best pool match I have ever witnessed in my 45 years being in the sport of pool. Both these players played on the toughest table I ever tried to make a ball on. It was so amazing to see these warriors preform on live viewing, under the most adverse conditions I have ever seen. I was positioned on the left of Justin's set up and had a birds eye view of the entire set. I could not believe the beginning of the match. There were people positioned all over the room doing things I could not believe. They had the snack bags and drinks and used them strategically to disrupt the players. I don't know how Shane did not get sharked more than he did. I saw people waiting for Earl's final stroke to crunch the chips. They were warned that anymore of this and they would be evicted. I saw one person raise his drink at the last moment and when Earl got up and said something he lowered his can and I could not believe but raised it again as Earl got down, back up and down with Earl's motions. It was not only intentional but as rude as I have ever witnessed anywhere but in a pool room where the whole room was trying to shark the road man trying to beat the home town hero. I have been in plenty of these situations in my 20 years on the road gambling in pool rooms and faded it. Now I witnessed people talking and laughing while Earl was shooting. I know we are a long way from respect for pool players from people betting against the other guy. There were a couple of instances where people were doing things that disturbed Earl that were unintentional but both Earl and Shane came to me complaining about situations that I did my best to fix. My partner Mike, the owner of the pool room did his best to control the people also. He got on his own customers for both players, for the sharking and did not show any favoritism. He was as stressed out as I have ever witnessed a person for a gambling situation. Everybody knows how Earl is when he plays, he voices his opinion about anything and everything. Did Shane condemn Earl in their first match when he blistered Earl 100 to 65 or whatever it was, no they shook hands just like in the 2nd match. And I was sponsoring Earl in the first match also and Earl was exactly the same. You know how he is and if you cannot handle it don't play or watch. He is the best player we have in pool and the biggest resume and the most watched, what do you think and who is next?

Great Post from a pro player, cuemaker and promoter of the sport. It was a great match, just sit back and enjoy it and leave the B*tching at home. This is real pool for real fans......Buckle up and enjoy the ride.

Island Drive
03-27-2011, 11:06 AM

It may be our sports way in...sounds better that pool/poker/pain....Was working with a gentlemen 20 years ago out of Kentucky doing a production not in Kentucky, Annagoni was involved in the color, and all I can remembe,r is him saying ''Dirreaha of the Mouth":) He wanted to do a Nascar stlye production with a list of invited players and create something similar with our game. It was to be a studio setting, if not for the financing problems he ran into it could of worked, because this person was a director/producer of shows alread on TV.

obsespool
03-27-2011, 11:12 AM
Thanks for the great match and great idea. I was so excited in anticipation of the match and I shared my excitement and enthusiasm with local players and league members here im my small town. Most of these people wouldn't recognize Earl or Shane if they saw them, but I hyped the event up so much that by Sunday evening my phone was ringing off the hook with people calling me wanting to know the score!!!
Yes this was a great idea!
Thank You!
Sincerely,
Obsespool

Big Dave
03-27-2011, 11:13 AM
I had to sort out a fellow English guy who was acting "yobbishly" and baiting Earl at the Mosconi Cup a few years ago - unfortunately Earl's persona seems to have created a magnet for these types, but it's still no excuse for that kind of behaviour from the stands.

Love/Hate!

9ball mike
03-27-2011, 12:04 PM
Its amazing people want to come on here talking so much about how the crowd sharked Earl but what about Earl being the BIGGES ASS in pool during that match? You come on here saying you know how earl is if you dont like it dont watch. Well all I have to say is you know how the fans are if you dont like it tell that cry baby to play a game he can handle mentally like solitaire.

poke&hope
03-27-2011, 12:42 PM
Gambling matches can get nasty. Nasty sells. I personaly don't like it but it is the sign of the times and I think will draw the non pool players in vs. loving the skill of the game, tournaments. Imop promote it like the Mixed martial arts and wrestling(it doesn't have to be real animosity,just perceived) trash talk etc. Thanks for your hard work in promoting this match I enjoyed all but the first day. I still think you are to Earl what Col. parker was to Elvis. MIke the baby face colonel, Gulyassy. :grin:
See you soon I need work done.

jay helfert
03-27-2011, 01:08 PM
Sorry, but I don't buy these excuses for Earl's abhorrent behavior. It isn't the "crowd" that makes him act this way! I've seen audience members get a little too loud and unruly at tournaments before, and the players didn't feel the need to respond anything like Earl did. The man (Earl) was out of line with Shane, PERIOD!

He and Mike both owe Shane an apology. Doubtful it will be coming anytime soon. Probably just more "poor me" from the Earl camp. By the way, Earl did not act like this in his first match. He went down like a mouse, and barely whimpered for three days.

ccshrimper
03-27-2011, 01:20 PM
Sorry, but I don't buy these excuses for Earl's abhorrent behavior. It isn't the "crowd" that makes him act this way! I've seen audience members get a little too loud and unruly at tournaments before, and the players didn't feel the need to respond anything like Earl did. The man (Earl) was out of line with Shane, PERIOD!

He and Mike both owe Shane an apology. Doubtful it will be coming anytime soon. Probably just more "poor me" from the Earl camp. By the way, Earl did not act like this in his first match. He went down like a mouse, and barely whimpered for three days.

I don't get it Jay. You've seen how Earl acts for over 30 years and you've stood up for him on this forum for years until this one match that you so happened to bet on? You can't possibly tell me this is the worst you've seen Earl act in 30 years so what changed except you putting some money against him?

Blast away everyone...

Elwood
03-27-2011, 01:24 PM
Hello Mike. Thanks for setting this match up. I'm sure it was very difficult and I admire the effort I'm quite sure it took to make this happen. Earl's level of play was stellar. (Shane's level of play, not so good) I find it sad, however, that Earl behaves the way he does. I've had enough of "It's Earl just being Earl". It's a shame when a player who's skill set is as ridiculously high as Earl's is resorts to the histrionics and the boorish behavior that, unfortunately, he's become known for. I wanted Earl to win, but I found myself rooting for Shane. What a classy individual that young guy is. If only Earl behaved like Shane. Thanks again, Mike (and TAR) for making this happen. I enjoyed watching the mercurial talent on display...

jay helfert
03-27-2011, 01:26 PM
I don't get it Jay. You've seen how Earl acts for over 30 years and you've stood up for him on this forum for years until this one match that you so happened to bet on? You can't possibly tell me this is the worst you've seen Earl act in 30 years so what changed except you putting some money against him?

Blast away everyone...

Actually my bet (and it was a small one) has absolutely nothing to do with anything here. I watched a man misbehave badly, seriously shocking (and sharking) his opponent and get away with it. He could never have done this in any tournament I worked on, not even close. And he wouldn't either! Earl knows better. In this setting, it was no holds barred. Earl was given free rein to act however he wanted, without restrictions. Shane got set up! Shame on anyone who sticks up for him and how he behaved in this match. Once again, if this is the future of professional pool, count me out.

JAM
03-27-2011, 01:34 PM
I have to give Mike G. a lot of praise for making this, as well as previous, action matches happen with Earl. He is a man of his word. When he says he's going to make something happen, Mike G. follows through.

I am reminded of one incident when Earl Strickland was speaking to me at a Carolinas Open, sharing his opinion about jump cues. Mike G. happened to be within hearing distance. Before Earl could get on a rampage about jump cues, I reminded him that Mike G. was right next to us. He looked at Mike G. and refrained from sharing his opinion further on jump cues. It gives me a chuckle, now looking back on it.

There probably isn't as strong an Earl Strickland supporter as me on AzBilliards Discussion Forum over the years. I do understand the "why" when things get, in the words of Steve Tyler, "crazy good." :grin-square:

On the one hand, nothing pleases me more than to see Earl Strickland out there full time, 24/7/365, playing in action matches, tournaments, exhibitions, et cetera. I love that! :)

On the other hand, I do think Earl knows right from wrong. Just because he's Earl Strickland, five-time U.S. Open champ, et cetera, doesn't give him a free pass to, again in the words of Steve Tyler, act "crazy bad."

Earl is going to turn 50 this year. His future is what he makes it. He is fortunate to have three very strong and reputable industry members in his corner. I hope he realizes this and makes them proud. If he can accomplish this and keep his head up high and act "crazy good," then Earl will be okay. The ball is in his court, and the rest, as they say, will be history. :)

ccshrimper
03-27-2011, 01:38 PM
Actually my bet (and it was a small one) has absolutely nothing to do with anything here. I watched a man misbehave badly, seriously shocking (and sharking) his opponent and get away with it. He could never have done this in any tournament I worked on, not even close. And he wouldn't either! Earl knows better. In this setting, it was no holds barred. Earl was given free rein to act however he wanted, without restrictions. Shane got set up! Shame on anyone who sticks up for him and how he behaved in this match. Once again, if this is the future of professional pool, count me out.

I agree with all of that except he has done worse than this before and probably many times and you still stood up for him. He's broken more cues than I can count on both hands. He's cursed opponents and fans out. He's been doing all of this for decades but until this match I've never seen you degrade Earl like this. Maybe he didn't do it in your tournaments but you know he's done it elsewhere.

Island Drive
03-27-2011, 02:12 PM
I have to give Mike G. a lot of praise for making this, as well as previous, action matches happen with Earl. He is a man of his word. When he says he's going to make something happen, Mike G. follows through.

I am reminded of one incident when Earl Strickland was speaking to me at a Carolinas Open, sharing his opinion about jump cues. Mike G. happened to be within hearing distance. Before Earl could get on a rampage about jump cues, I reminded him that Mike G. was right next to us. He looked at Mike G. and refrained from sharing his opinion further on jump cues. It gives me a chuckle, now looking back on it.

There probably isn't as strong an Earl Strickland supporter as me on AzBilliards Discussion Forum over the years. I do understand the "why" when things get, in the words of Steve Tyler, "crazy good." :grin-square:

On the one hand, nothing pleases me more than to see Earl Strickland out there full time, 24/7/365, playing in action matches, tournaments, exhibitions, et cetera. I love that! :)

On the other hand, I do think Earl knows right from wrong. Just because he's Earl Strickland, five-time U.S. Open champ, et cetera, doesn't give him a free pass to, again in the words of Steve Tyler, act "crazy bad."

Earl is going to turn 50 this year. His future is what he makes it. He is fortunate to have three very strong and reputable industry members in his corner. I hope he realizes this and makes them proud. If he can accomplish this and keep his head up high and act "crazy good," then Earl will be okay. The ball is in his court, and the rest, as they say, will be history. :)

Because of Earls ranting before this matchup I cancelled my wager with Jay (I bet on Earl) because I thought it would be wrong for Jay or myself to win or lose because of this type of recent behavior, Earl and I are good friends and enough said. If I were in a position to bring my two daughters to a premier pool match when they were younger that's one thing, BUT if there was ANY possibility this type of behavior was going to happen I would of never even thought about asking them or bringing them into this type of situation. Would you take YOUR kids? This sounded more to me like some form of one sided verbal cage wrestling. There are people nowadays that endorse/pay and love this type of behavior, and it the proper arena is acceptable. Would be interesting to see what percentage of the crowd thought it was good or bad. One has to also wonder how much SVB was taken advantage of, I'm not talking about the table and conditions. All good players have trapped others at one time or another, I once trapped Cole Dixon in So. IL and another time got trapped good by Gumphries in VA.

Island Drive
03-27-2011, 02:19 PM
I agree with all of that except he has done worse than this before and probably many times and you still stood up for him. He's broken more cues than I can count on both hands. He's cursed opponents and fans out. He's been doing all of this for decades but until this match I've never seen you degrade Earl like this. Maybe he didn't do it in your tournaments but you know he's done it elsewhere.

I find Earls rants more like a person crying out for attention for himself and the sport and how things should be but arn't. If Earl were this great at another sport, such as golf, he would either be nice or be gone, the money would speak loudly and most likely mold his character, if not the sporting body would deal with it quickly. We all need parameters in life for ourselves and for others that interact with us, if not.........
We all have relatives or co workers that fall into this catagory. We still like em, but....................

Williebetmore
03-27-2011, 02:25 PM
Thanks Mike G. for making this happen.

All erratic behavior aside; I'm quite surprised that few are commenting on the fact that Earl was absolutely right about the level of play required to excel on that table. To me, it was not unfamiliarity with the equipment that did in Shane; it was that he had nowhere near enough precision to ever beat Earl on that table (unless Earl would beat himself...which of course is quite likely).

Shane's level of precision is fine for smaller tables; but not for the big one - very few players can pound the ball down those rails as accurately as Earl did. As one who has played a fair bit on shimmed 5 x 10 I could not believe how well Earl played those tough shots - I didn't really think it was possible (Shane's level of play is what I would expect from the vast majority of pro players who try such a table).

Kudo's to Earl, because he demonstrated just how great his pocketing skills really are - WAY more precise than SVB. I hope it is out on DVD because it belongs along side the Color of Money series as an example of the heights that rotation games can be played at by someone like Earl.

punter
03-27-2011, 02:35 PM

All erratic behavior aside; I'm quite surprised that few are commenting on the fact that Earl was absolutely right about the level of play required to excel on that table. To me, it was unfamiliarity with the equipment that did in Shane; it was that he had nowhere near enough precision to ever beat Earl on that table (unless Earl would beat himself...which of course is quite likely).

Shane's level of precision is fine for smaller tables; but not for the big one - very few players can pound the ball down those rails as accurately as Earl did. As one who has played a fair bit on shimmed 5 x 10 I could not believe how well Earl played those tough shots - I didn't really think it was possible (Shane's level of play is what I would expect from the vast majority of pro players who try such a table).

Kudo's to Earl, because he demonstrated just how great his pocketing skills really are - WAY more precise than SVB. I hope it is out on DVD because it belongs along side the Color of Money series as an example of the heights that rotation games can be played at by someone like Earl.

Nice post.

CreeDo
03-27-2011, 02:41 PM
Willie, all due respect but I gotta disagree. I don't think earl hits balls more accurately than shane. I think earl just picks the right speed and gets the right angles. Shane was too straight on a bunch of balls and didn't account for having to move the CB 10-15 feet. He's used to having the stroke to just force his way across the table. The bad angles + the tough pocket cut = balls got spat out that shoulda dropped (if they were a a few mph slower). Shane also mentioned the bow in the slate forcing him to shoot harder than he wanted just to make sure the shot didn't roll off.

I think earl was just comfortable and adjusted to the equipment, give shane a month on that table + his own 70 inch harpoon, maybe the score is reversed.

punter
03-27-2011, 02:48 PM
Willie, all due respect but I gotta disagree. I don't think earl hits balls more accurately than shane. I think earl just picks the right speed and gets the right angles. Shane was too straight on a bunch of balls and didn't account for having to move the CB 10-15 feet. He's used to having the stroke to just force his way across the table. The bad angles + the tough pocket cut = balls got spat out that shoulda dropped (if they were a a few mph slower). Shane also mentioned the bow in the slate forcing him to shoot harder than he wanted just to make sure the shot didn't roll off.

I think earl was just comfortable and adjusted to the equipment, give shane a month on that table + his own 70 inch harpoon, maybe the score is reversed.

Shane had several days to get used to the table. Sure Earl probably had more time on it. I like the idea of a tough 5x10, but I would rather see one where the pockets weren't so strangely cut. They made shooting a ball down a rail way too tough. If they play a match like this again on a 5x10, I hope it's an improved table. I think you have to give Earl credit for playing as well as he did on this tough table.

spanky79
03-27-2011, 02:53 PM

Shane was the one that said he could not beat Earl on that table.
Give him a month and nothing changes.
Earl is probably the best ball pocketing player of all time.

I thought Earl would get beat bad, I was so far off all I could do was laugh and be glad I did not bet on it.

I would like to see them play again just because of how entertaining it was.

Jcat
03-27-2011, 03:16 PM
It never ceases to amaze me how many people say that Earl's bad behavior is good for pool. Yes, the hype for this match got a fair amount of people excited about it,
but tell me how many corporations called after the match and said "wow, let me give you 5 millions dollars to sponsor a men's professional tour"? Whats that you say? None?
Well, i find that hard to believe since Earl is so good for pool. And I hate to just pick on Earl, there are many many more that fall into the same category, its just that Earl
is certainly among the best and worst in mens pool. He could do a lot to promote mens pool but he chooses to think only of himself and how only he gets bad breaks and how a fly crapping on a leaf in the middle of a forest caused him to miss that shot. You guys can make all the excuses you want - the economy, the moon is out of phase, yada, yada, yada, but until the behavior is acceptable for all and there is a strong mens organization willing to take control and penalize unacceptable behavior across the board, mens pool will remain in the gutter. Take a kid to see that match? Why sure, I can see myself saying "OK, this is exactly how I want you to act when you grow up". Open your eyes people.

rackrunner8ball
03-27-2011, 03:24 PM
If Earl is so good on a 5x10 table that has weird pockets, my question is why can't he play that way on a normal tournament table, whether its a Diamond or a Brunswick? Seems a little gaffy to me.

ChicagoRJ
03-27-2011, 03:25 PM
It never ceases to amaze me how many people say that Earl's bad behavior is good for pool. Yes, the hype for this match got a fair amount of people excited about it,
but tell me how many corporations called after the match and said "wow, let me give you 5 millions dollars to sponsor a men's professional tour"? Whats that you say? None?
Well, i find that hard to believe since Earl is so good for pool. And I hate to just pick on Earl, there are many many more that fall into the same category, its just that Earl
is certainly among the best and worst in mens pool. He could do a lot to promote mens pool but he chooses to think only of himself and how only he gets bad breaks and how a fly crapping on a leaf in the middle of a forest caused him to miss that shot. You guys can make all the excuses you want - the economy, the moon is out of phase, yada, yada, yada, but until the behavior is acceptable for all and there is a strong mens organization willing to take control and penalize unacceptable behavior across the board, mens pool will remain in the gutter. Take a kid to see that match? Why sure, I can see myself saying "OK, this is exactly how I want you to act when you grow up". Open your eyes people.

You mean like what they do in the NBA and NFL......yikes. Again, mainstream sports and criminal players and they are throwing millions into it. Michael Vick has a big ole contract and will be getting endorsements back soon.

Face facts, pool is not big and never will be again. But neither is badmitton or ping pong or bowling in the US..... We're playing and enjoying a fringe sport. It does not have to be the most popular for yourself to enjoy it. And one person is not standing in the way of Pool suddenly becoming popular.

I have a table in my basement and my wife and 11 y/o son could not care less. If I bribe my son (pizza or milk shakes) he will play a little...but between karate, band, and baseball, pool is lost in the shuffle and he has almost zero interest. Whadya gonna do ??

paksat
03-27-2011, 03:33 PM

I was planning on having a few youths watch that match, my god that would have been an incredible mistake.

richiebalto
03-27-2011, 03:55 PM
it never ceases to amaze me how many people say that earl's bad behavior is good for pool. Yes, the hype for this match got a fair amount of people excited about it,
Well, i find that hard to believe since earl is so good for pool. And i hate to just pick on earl, there are many many more that fall into the same category, its just that earl
is certainly among the best and worst in mens pool. He could do a lot to promote mens pool but he chooses to think only of himself and how only he gets bad breaks and how a fly crapping on a leaf in the middle of a forest caused him to miss that shot. You guys can make all the excuses you want - the economy, the moon is out of phase, yada, yada, yada, but until the behavior is acceptable for all and there is a strong mens organization willing to take control and penalize unacceptable behavior across the board, mens pool will remain in the gutter. Take a kid to see that match? Why sure, i can see myself saying "ok, this is exactly how i want you to act when you grow up". Open your eyes people.

great post cat!

CreeDo
03-27-2011, 04:12 PM
Shane was the one that said he could not beat Earl on that table.
Give him a month and nothing changes.
Earl is probably the best ball pocketing player of all time.

I thought Earl would get beat bad, I was so far off all I could do was laugh and be glad I did not bet on it.

I would like to see them play again just because of how entertaining it was.

I would too.

A lot has been made of that comment, but I think shane's being humble, or is kind of dogging on himself. They asked him that while the loss is still fresh. Privately, I think shane has the mentality of all champions... he never REALLY believes the other guy is just-plain-better than he is. Or shoots straighter or whatever. I second the vote that we see another 5x10 match (this time with correctly cut pockets). Shane won't underestimate him again.

Williebetmore
03-27-2011, 04:35 PM

We certainly will have to disagree. I think the match showed that Earl's stroke is more solid (WAY less body and head movement); and that he has WAY more understanding of contact induced throw variables (a huge factor in big table play).

I did not think the pockets were bad at all - jawed balls are much more common the bigger the table, and Earl did not seem to have that problem as much.

I definitely will agree that Shane could improve his play (and probably will); but it would need to involve his stroke and physics fundamentals; not something as simple as "getting used to the table."

P.S. - Earl told us at a lesson that he used to shoot 8 hours at a time down the long rail at all speeds and spins - any shot that even touched the long rail going in was a complete failure for him. Such training gives him a huge advantage over most mortals in understanding the contact induced throw that is so different at different speeds and spins and cut angles; and such a big factor in proper play on a 5 x 10 table (MANY more shots are affected than on a 9 footer because of the longer distances involved). Most players have never studied the exact amounts of throw involved, and approach it intuitively - Earl's long experience in this area gives him a huge advantage over almost everyone.

bobroberts
03-27-2011, 04:47 PM
I was planning on having a few youths watch that match, my god that would have been an incredible mistake.

Funny but i was thinking more like survivor or jersey shore,or the apprentice.
People like to watch train wrecks.Not sure why but most people slow by when they see a car accident.
Watching Earl go off is akin to these shows.
A lot of people are really hard on him but i think they fail to understand that there probably is a mental medical problem.

Zbotiman
03-27-2011, 05:03 PM
I find Earls rants more like a person crying out for attention for himself and the sport and how things should be but arn't. If Earl were this great at another sport, such as golf, he would either be nice or be gone, the money would speak loudly and most likely mold his character, if not the sporting body would deal with it quickly. We all need parameters in life for ourselves and for others that interact with us, if not.........
We all have relatives or co workers that fall into this catagory. We still like em, but....................

Excuse me, do you know who Walter Hagen was? He was considered the "ultimate gentleman" in the early years of golf. When money and regulating organizations were in short supply in that sport. "Gentleman," Hmm, you gotta play a guy, that shows up in a tuxedo, after being out all night, with a hangover, and correcting the officials on matters at hand, and reasons for being a half hour late for his pairings "start time, NO SHARKING THERE, RIGHT!!!"

On that level, everybody picks a gaff, and exploits it for all it's worth. Some peoples B.S. is just "socially more acceptable, breeding and all you see!"

Most sports organizations are parasitical in their natural dealings with athletes. That's where all the management and lawyers gets tangled up in these things. I keep it simple, give the sport it's due and let 'em play as they see fit! Most of the commentators on here, it seems to me, by what they say and think, haven't ever even won a bar tournament in this game!
But it does look like their model citizens.

justadub
03-27-2011, 05:11 PM
I hate to keep flogging this deceased equine... but based on what I saw (the last night, when the PPV opened up for everyone, THANKS TAR) the way Earl behaved wasn't anything that would have made anyone unfamiliar with pool blink twice.

The worst thing that he did on the last evening was to throw his cue (and earmuffs). The bantering and bad-mouthing that I saw was significantly less than what I see during any regular season NBA game. Or NFL game. Or even some baseball games. You know, the really popular televised sports. The sports that television pays HUGE contracts for the rights to air. The ones where the beer companies and the car companies line up for the privilege of buying sponsorships for advertising.

I realize that many folks are disappointed in the way Earl acted in this match. But to state how awful it would be to for the general public to have seen this match is completely missing the mark.

Again, I did not see the first two days, which were supposedly worse. Again, I understand the desire for "gentlemanly" play. I just don't see where this match is such a black eye for pool. It was exciting to me, and there was a LOT of great pool. I hear far worse bantering at the pool room every week, and if everyone is being honest, they do too.

Island Drive
03-27-2011, 06:40 PM
Excuse me, do you know who Walter Hagen was? He was considered the "ultimate gentleman" in the early years of golf. When money and regulating organizations were in short supply in that sport. "Gentleman," Hmm, you gotta play a guy, that shows up in a tuxedo, after being out all night, with a hangover, and correcting the officials on matters at hand, and reasons for being a half hour late for his pairings "start time, NO SHARKING THERE, RIGHT!!!"

On that level, everybody picks a gaff, and exploits it for all it's worth. Some peoples B.S. is just "socially more acceptable, breeding and all you see!"

Most sports organizations are parasitical in their natural dealings with athletes. That's where all the management and lawyers gets tangled up in these things. I keep it simple, give the sport it's due and let 'em play as they see fit! Most of the commentators on here, it seems to me, by what they say and think, haven't ever even won a bar tournament in this game!
But it does look like their model citizens.

Huh...................:confused:

gulyassy
03-27-2011, 06:49 PM

You must not have been in the same room I was for 3 days.

Island Drive
03-27-2011, 06:51 PM
I hate to keep flogging this deceased equine... but based on what I saw (the last night, when the PPV opened up for everyone, THANKS TAR) the way Earl behaved wasn't anything that would have made anyone unfamiliar with pool blink twice.

The worst thing that he did on the last evening was to throw his cue (and earmuffs). The bantering and bad-mouthing that I saw was significantly less than what I see during any regular season NBA game. Or NFL game. Or even some baseball games. You know, the really popular televised sports. The sports that television pays HUGE contracts for the rights to air. The ones where the beer companies and the car companies line up for the privilege of buying sponsorships for advertising.

I realize that many folks are disappointed in the way Earl acted in this match. But to state how awful it would be to for the general public to have seen this match is completely missing the mark.

Again, I did not see the first two days, which were supposedly worse. Again, I understand the desire for "gentlemanly" play. I just don't see where this match is such a black eye for pool. It was exciting to me, and there was a LOT of great pool. I hear far worse bantering at the pool room every week, and if everyone is being honest, they do too.

Sure glad Bob Hurley is still coaching, he doesn't allow tattos and the only jewelry allowed is a watch. Now mind you, in thirty plus years of mentoring basketball players only TWO have not gone on to college, I think that speaks for itself. Maybe Efren should act this way to become even more famous in the Phillipines...........................NOT

gulyassy
03-27-2011, 07:12 PM
I would like to think that this type of match should be laid to rest like hustling pool for a living. Either one is very dangerous and not worth the pay out. I liked the match because it was the best pool match I had ever seen. It was the toughest match and most demanding match since the Friday to Sunday challenges I used to sometimes participate in when I was a gambling pool player. It took a lot more than skill and ability for Earl to win this match. Remember the loser got nothing, and Earl was kicked out at the Expo. His car was parked in Atlanta Airport for 30 days since Dubai. He was broke and lost the last Tar match to Shane decisively. Not only that but Shane beat Earl in the One Pocket in Derby City. This win for Earl was big. Earl had a 22 game lead Saturday and close to the end it was going to be within 5. Earl ended up 70 to 60. Shane has a heart of a Champion. I am getting the table redone by the best restorer in the country. New and exact pocket cuts, and the slate will be resurfaced to make it perfect. I did not have the time to do the table all the way but Shane played on it from Monday to Friday to decide if it was alright and he said he liked the table. Remember this also, Earl gave Shane his break back, a larger break box, and no shot clock which I thought might give the advantage to Shane. The only real advantage Earl had was stopping Shane's break, but the table did this without any help. If Shane's break is working it is curtains for any opponent. Earl played it like a table, not a 10 footer but just a pool table. I would like to see these 2 play again on this table because it is the most difficult conditions imaginable. By the way I have been contacted by sponsors that want to be a part the next match. May be the next match on the 5 by 10 will be even better.

poke&hope
03-27-2011, 07:26 PM

You missed the first day.It was bad!!! This was an Hustle by old time players who have been around IMOP. It was not just the 5x10 but the funny cut pockets set up by Earl and MIke. John Schimdt mentioned this and I consider him an expert. Someone told me once that most gambling matches are won or lost during the negotiations before the match. It would have taken Shane longer IMO to become familar with this setup plus sharking and not get in his head and hurt his confidence on that table. Earl totally sharked the first day and ended up by 11. Thats pretty much how it stayed until the end. Earl played like a champion and shane was amazing under the circumstances. Shane and company got hustled. I agree with Jay. Isn't it funny people were complaining about Earl bashing just a few months ago. Now since he won its a medical condition,Earl is Earl,yada yada. Once he sharks a shark and loses the lovefest will end. I don't like it, but I still say it will sell today in a one on one contest for th $. I know many disagree but its an opinion of what I saw or thought I saw.:confused:

gulyassy
03-27-2011, 07:41 PM
You missed the first day.It was bad!!! This was an Hustle by old time players who have been around IMOP. It was not just the 5x10 but the funny cut pockets set up by Earl and MIke. John Schimdt mentioned this and I consider him an expert. Someone told me once that most gambling matches are won or lost during the negotiations before the match. It would have taken Shane longer IMO to become familar with this setup plus sharking and not get in his head and hurt his confidence on that table. Earl totally sharked the first day and ended up by 11. Thats pretty much how it stayed until the end. Earl played like a champion and shane was amazing under the circumstances. Shane and company got hustled. I agree with Jay. Isn't it funny people were complaining about Earl bashing just a few months ago. Now since he won its a medical condition,Earl is Earl,yada yada. Once he sharks a shark and loses the lovefest will end. I don't like it, but I still say it will sell today in a one on one contest for th $. I know many disagree but its an opinion of what I saw or thought I saw.:confused:

Shane and most of the pool world thought he was going to steal the money but found out that without his break working he had to out shoot the older man. Shane did not think he was going to loose until Sunday when Earl got to 90, then Earl put on a clinic and took the prize.

ChicagoRJ
03-27-2011, 07:47 PM

Very considerate that you leave the pertinent information about the ruly fans who were intentionally sharking Earl on Friday night. But, heck, who needs facts when you are trying to win your point with half truths. Well done. You are half way home. Now tell the complete story regardless if it hurts your argument, just the facts please.

ChicagoRJ
03-27-2011, 07:50 PM

Yes, good thing. Next time take him the kiddies to an NFL or NBA game so they can see REAL role models. Bring the criminal background checks so you can compare who did what to who and when they did it. Can't tell the players these days without a "scorecard".............

gulyassy
03-27-2011, 07:58 PM
Yes, good thing. Next time take him the kiddies to an NFL or NBA game so they can see REAL role models. Bring the criminal background checks so you can compare who did what to who and when they did it. Can't tell the players these days without a "scorecard".............

You know I am really surprised they never kicked out John McEnroe or John Daley.
I had to have misspelled their names. I don't golf or tennis.

risky biz
03-27-2011, 07:58 PM
It never ceases to amaze me how many people say that Earl's bad behavior is good for pool. Yes, the hype for this match got a fair amount of people excited about it, but tell me how many corporations called after the match and said "wow, let me give you 5 millions dollars to sponsor a men's professional tour"? Whats that you say? None?

How many have called after any pool match that Earl was nowhere near? What's that you say? None? Heh.

Not many people at all have said that Earl's behavior is good for pool. I think they are mostly saying that player behavior is much worse in other sports that DO have corporate sponsorship and someone implying that Earl is the cause of all the problems in pool is ridiculous.

What you're saying makes a lot of sense if someone is willing to completely ignore reality.

gulyassy
03-27-2011, 08:14 PM

I received calls the very next day with offers to get involved in the next match by corporate sponsors. Lets understand one thing. This is the biggest match in pool in years. There were 2,000 viewers Sunday. There will be more for the next match. We are in the process of planning the next match to be announced soon. This is not about bad behavior or hustling or anything but our future. Earl is the best living pool player and is willing to continue to preform for us. Let's give a little help to our professional players, let's support our pros, let's play some pool.

Snake Plisken
03-27-2011, 08:36 PM
You know I am really surprised they never kicked out John McEnroe or John Daley.
I had to have misspelled their names.

I don't recall Mcenroe or Daley ever calling out people in the audience who have paid money to watch them play and blame them for making a bad shot.

If anyone wants to make an analogy between Earl's behavior during the TAR match with Shane and other professioal athlete's behavior in an attempt to defend Earl, you are functioning at about a third grade level.

It is like you got in trouble in third drade for spitballs and then point to Jimmy and said "he is doing it too"". Does that justify anything.

I am a huge Earl fan. I started the match rooting for Earl. By the end of the first day I wanted nothing more than for Shane to come back and put a beating on him.

Saying "that is just Earl being Earl" is weak. Placing blame on the fans is even weaker. When someone of Earl's caliber and legend plays a streamed or televised match, like it or not, he is representing the sport of pool to an extent and also representing you Mike G. who both sponser and stake him. For you to brush off his behavior as "it's just Earl being Earl" is pathetic! Take some responsibility and get some stones and control your player.

Hopefully the next match Earl plays he can shoot as well as he did against Shane minus the ridiculous, childish and embarassing behavior.
Until he can do that and you stop enabling and making excuses for him my days of rooting for Earl are behind me.

I hope Archer gets in his head and drives him crazier than he already is.

One more bit of advice. Learn to type using paragraghs. Your content is difficult enough to read as it is.

decent dennis
03-27-2011, 08:44 PM

Excuse me.Did you say yoots?

stick8
03-27-2011, 08:45 PM

DAM -MIKE YOU TOOK THE WORDS RIGHT OUT OF MY MOUTH!!!!!:thumbup:

ribdoner
03-27-2011, 08:49 PM
EARL is on a very short list of players i would pay to watch

risky biz
03-27-2011, 08:54 PM
I don't recall Mcenroe or Daley ever calling out people in the audience who have paid money to watch them play and blame them for making a bad shot.

If anyone wants to make an analogy between Earl's behavior during the TAR match with Shane and other professioal athlete's behavior in an attempt to defend Earl, you are functioning at about a third grade level.

From what I've read here the audience at the Earl/Shane match resembled the audience at a tennis match about as much as an 8-ball resembles a tennis ball.

Rick S.
03-27-2011, 09:06 PM
[QUOTE=Snake Plisken;2933138]I don't recall Mcenroe or Daley ever calling out people in the audience who have paid money to watch them play and blame them for making a bad shot.

[QUOTE]

Funny....I don't seem to remember anyone in the stands taunting the players either. In tennis you'd get ejected just for talking during play.

Same on the golf course....no hecklers-taunters allowed.

I do remember Ron Artest going up INTO the stands and beating the shit out of a fan (heckler) or two.

he's still playing.

And for the World Champion Lakers, at that.

gulyassy
03-27-2011, 09:24 PM

It is like you got in trouble in third drade for spitballs and then point to Jimmy and said "he is doing it too"". Does that justify anything.

I am a huge Earl fan. I started the match rooting for Earl. By the end of the first day I wanted nothing more than for Shane to come back and put a beating on him.

Saying "that is just Earl being Earl" is weak. Placing blame on the fans is even weaker. When someone of Earl's caliber and legend plays a streamed or televised match, like it or not, he is representing the sport of pool to an extent and also representing you Mike G. who both sponser and stake him. For you to brush off his behavior as "it's just Earl being Earl" is pathetic! Take some responsibility and get some stones and control your player.

Hopefully the next match Earl plays he can shoot as well as he did against Shane minus the ridiculous, childish and embarassing behavior.
Until he can do that and you stop enabling and making excuses for him my days of rooting for Earl are behind me.

One more bit of advice. Learn to type using paragraghs. Your content is difficult enough to read as it is.

you must be a English teacher as for me I am just a pool player.

EricB78
03-27-2011, 09:32 PM
Did anyone see how much Shane was sharking Earl? Shane was talking while Earl was shooting and moving around in his seat when Earl was shooting. I can't believe how rude he was being.

Oh right. Shane didn't do any of that. About the only sharking Shane did was check the rack.

I don't care what the audience was doing. They had nothing to do with Shane. Of course that's just IMHO, but I'm no one of consequence. Just a viewer who was really disappointed in someone with as much talent as Earl has.

qbilder
03-27-2011, 09:33 PM
If you don't want your kids seeing it, why do you let them attend public schools? Just saying.

poke&hope
03-27-2011, 11:29 PM
Very considerate that you leave the pertinent information about the ruly fans who were intentionally sharking Earl on Friday night. But, heck, who needs facts when you are trying to win your point with half truths. Well done. You are half way home. Now tell the complete story regardless if it hurts your argument, just the facts please.

The reason i did not mention the sharking by the audience is because I could not see or hear it on the stream. I only saw Earl and heard Earl and the fracass at the end. I enjoy some sharking I just thought Earl went too far from what I could see on the stream and the commentators comments.

I did not know anything about the audience until Mike stated it here. Jay has his opinion,Mike has his and so does everybody else as they perceive it. It does not make someone wrong or malicious because it may differ from mine or they didn't see it all because they weren't there.

Some people on here like to argue to the point of having to go back to the original post to see what the subject was. I hope being on AZ doesn't make me one of them and that is the facts. If my opinion was half truths its because I only saw half. Your opinion of my motives was no truth and thats another fact.

mikeyfrost
03-28-2011, 12:00 AM
Really at this point, who cares?

00john
03-28-2011, 01:42 AM
Many experts were incorrect Yes the match did actually take place and there was an outcome. i just think its silly to speculate about why it shouldnt have been that way n how terribly unfortunate it was for poor old shane n how good old shane will crush him next time when everything is put right in the universe again hahaha sorry couldnt help but chuckle a bit take a cue from shane man up and just say gee i was wrong it shouldnt hurt too much :)

Fast Lenny
03-28-2011, 01:45 AM
People still crying and rambling on about it, it happens, maybe the next match Earl will have headphones on and a muzzle, I will be rooting for him again. Go Earl! :thumbup:

paksat
03-28-2011, 05:21 AM

You're such a f'n moron kid, i've had gf's that couldn't even stalk me worse then you.

paksat
03-28-2011, 05:24 AM

Read this chicagoRJ, maybe it'll click in about 20 years.

JAM
03-28-2011, 05:31 AM
Somebody should turn Earl on to Beats by Dr. Dre! :thumbup:

Oh, man, I don't know if I can live without these gold ones. I have the dull black model. These gold ones are really cool. :cool:

real bartram
03-28-2011, 06:29 AM
I received calls the very next day with offers to get involved in the next match by corporate sponsors. Lets understand one thing. This is the biggest match in pool in years. There were 2,000 viewers Sunday. There will be more for the next match. We are in the process of planning the next match to be announced soon. This is not about bad behavior or hustling or anything but our future. Earl is the best living pool player and is willing to continue to preform for us. Let's give a little help to our professional players, let's support our pros, let's play some pool.

is he the best living pool player on just the 10 ft or
the 9 ft also?

Captain K.
03-28-2011, 06:37 AM
When Earl and Archer were in Dallas tx last year on the lesson tour with Cantrall. Mr. Archer said there was not another pro or amature that could hang with Earl on a 10 ft. table. Though he did say it tasted bad to admit it. Earl may be an ass sometimes with his antics, but during the 4 hours we were in class he never once was rude to us and took as much time on basic shots or questions we that needed.

Kennan

PS Bartrum you are a beast, love watchin you on the streams :thumbup:

edd
03-28-2011, 06:44 AM
Thanks Mike, for all you are doing for our sport.

uwate
03-28-2011, 07:16 AM
i was on vacation with my family and only saw the last day. I heard there was alot of sharking going on, I had no idea the spectators were so involved. Why didnt the owner of the room eject some people like the drunken asshole who was there two days?

On the last day, it did appear to me both players were engaged in gamesmanship, Earl with his yapping and Shane by messing with the rack to try to get Earl on tilt. Im probably wrong on everything, seems like on TAR matches thats par for the course for me.

In any event, thanks again to Mike G for setting this up. I bought one of your Orange Crushers on that deal posted on AZ to toss some jelly your way. Then I get the cue and I am thrilled to learn the cue is the the nuts when it comes to break cues. I have my bender break cue and the xbreaker put away now.

gulyassy
03-28-2011, 07:37 AM
the 9 ft also?

Look at his record.

risky biz
03-28-2011, 07:46 AM
Originally Posted by Snake Plisken
"If anyone wants to make an analogy between Earl's behavior during the TAR match with Shane and other professioal athlete's behavior in an attempt to defend Earl, you are functioning at about a third grade level.

It is like you got in trouble in third drade for spitballs and then point to Jimmy and said "he is doing it too"". Does that justify anything."

Read this chicagoRJ, maybe it'll click in about 20 years.

The analogy is absolutely non-correlative. This isn't about the audience and Earl doing something to a third party it's about Earl, apparently, objecting to the terrible audience behavior he was being subjected to. A loud drunk in the audience crinkling his junk food bag every time Earl got down to stroke is ridiculous. And he was there TWO days in a row? The critics here who seem to have an "Earl thing" are completely one-sided in their criticism.

Has Shane made comment number one regarding any behavior of Earl's? I haven't seen any of the Earl critics come up with that yet. They just decided on their own for Shane that he was sharked. I wonder how many of the Earl critics think they could shark a pro like Shane if they tried? LOL.

MOJOE
03-28-2011, 08:00 AM
I could not agree more Don.. Great post!

All erratic behavior aside; I'm quite surprised that few are commenting on the fact that Earl was absolutely right about the level of play required to excel on that table. To me, it was not unfamiliarity with the equipment that did in Shane; it was that he had nowhere near enough precision to ever beat Earl on that table (unless Earl would beat himself...which of course is quite likely).

Roadking
03-28-2011, 08:11 AM
Great job Mike! I was there sat. & sun. I enjoyed every minute of the tourn.
If theirs gonna be a rematch please have it at IceBreakers again. I'll be there!
Only down side was the start time.

MOJOE
03-28-2011, 08:17 AM
If Earl is so good on a 5x10 table that has weird pockets, my question is why can't he play that way on a normal tournament table, whether its a Diamond or a Brunswick? Seems a little gaffy to me.

Uhh... He can, the problem is, so can the other players!

SKJoss72
03-28-2011, 08:38 AM
Ok I have seen numerous threads about what Earl did and this must have been the reason Shane lost... could it possibly that shane was out shot on this weekend. I mean is it Ok for an audience of shane fans to cause a disruption to make earl mis shots and get in his head, seems to me that all the shane fans who think he is the second comming of christ with a pool stick, should get a grip... Does earl act strange? Yes. is this some type of sharking maybe?. but i am sure that the fans watching and crumbling chip bags for no reason would get to the best of us especially if it happens for several years. he was obviously be tormented by A-holes in the stands... so he brought in his Headphones...and guess what? he calmed down his "sharking" as you guys like to call it.....I have watched plenty of videos where earl acted normal...

You know what I am loosing respect for alot of the shane fans because they cant accept the fact that he was outplayed on this particular weekend, maybe next time this wont be the case.

Facts is sometimes we lose composure when driven to do so... I myself would not tolerate retards doing stupid crap while watching a match for 20k on the line.... but is it OK if Shane fans shark Earl?. probably in their eyes, it is because Earl is know to act goofy

real bartram
03-28-2011, 08:45 AM
Look at his record.

well i can think of 20 players min
that i would bet on vs him on a 9 ft.

billychips
03-28-2011, 08:51 AM
Look at his record.

If you really believe this you will stand by your word and have Earl play Shane a race to 100 on a 9 footer like you agreed to.

mikeyfrost
03-28-2011, 08:56 AM
well i can think of 20 players min
that i would bet on vs him on a 9 ft.

You're not thinking hard enough, I came up with 22 people.

real bartram
03-28-2011, 08:58 AM
You're not thinking hard enough, I came up with 22 people.

there are 20 that i dont even know their names.

Mr Hoppe
03-28-2011, 09:05 AM
Earl was in amazing form, and it's a treat to see any professional at his peak under tough conditions. However, his behavior certainly detracted from the event. I find it amazing that Mike said this is the best event he's ever seen. All you have to do is watch the Shane vs Alex P race to 100 DVDs to see a top pro in his highest gear, AND behave like a professional.

I agree, a bit of controversey is good for the game. However, there is a line, and Earl was way over it in day 1. Days 2 & 3 were more enjoyable when he (for the most part) closed his mouth and focused on his game.

Mr Hoppe
03-28-2011, 09:20 AM

Remember, Sunday viewing was free due to an error by the PPV providers, and that's when the on-line viewer numbers got that high. On Friday and Saturday, when it was paid viewing only, the numbers were only in the 200s if I recall correctly. This should pump up the viewership for the Strickland v Archer match-up next month though. I know I can't wait. Johnny will not be as tollerant as Shane was...

JD_Hogg
03-28-2011, 09:48 AM
the 9 ft also?

I think his record makes him the best 9 ball player of all time.

He prob aint fun to play but he is fun to watch.

David_Smith
03-28-2011, 10:06 AM
I don't recall McEnroe or Daley ever calling out people in the audience who have paid money to watch them play and blame them for making a bad shot.

It is like you got in trouble in third grade for spitballs and then point to Jimmy and said "he is doing it too"". Does that justify anything?

Saying "that is just Earl being Earl" is weak. Placing blame on the fans is even weaker. When someone of Earl's caliber and legendary status plays a streamed or televised match, like it or not, he is representing the sport of pool to an extent and also representing you Mike G. who both sponsor and stake him. For you to brush off his behavior as "it's just Earl being Earl" is pathetic! Take some responsibility and get some stones and control your player.

Hopefully the next match Earl plays he can shoot as well as he did against Shane minus the ridiculous, childish and embarrassing behavior. Until he can do that and you stop enabling and making excuses for him my days of rooting for Earl are behind me.

I made some corrections to your post. JAM could possibly help a little more.

ChicagoRJ
03-28-2011, 10:38 AM
QUOTE: Snake Pilsken: "If anyone wants to make an analogy between Earl's behavior during the TAR match with Shane and other professioal athlete's behavior in an attempt to defend Earl, you are functioning at about a third grade level.

QUOTE: ChicagoRJ: Well, if you actually read the posts thoroughly, nobody, including myself mentioned his actions were justified. But certainly not the reason pool is where it is because of his behavior.

I only asked the simple question of how come those who are bad mouthing Earl, show up to NBA and NFL games when the players are so much worse, including criminal convictions for murder, rape, dog drownings, gun charges, violently attacking fans in the stands, drug usage, drug selling and drugged up hookers, etc. etc. (do I really need to go on?)

Why does everyone's moral and principled ethics only apply to the always "principled and ethical" game of billiards? No pun intended...

I only asked why don't the "haters" come on and tell me that they DO NOT watch NOR support any NFL or NBA games. Yet, nobody spoke up. The silence was quite deafening to me.

It sounds like there is a lot of moral ambiguity by some of the "haters". You can't have it both ways. Players actions in the NFL are supported by you as well as by the mega sponsors and the TV networks, etc. etc. Earl talks trash and you want him hung by his toenails, he is accused of being the problem with pool today, and the lack of sponsors is his personal undoing. Really?

So, again, I'm just asking how many of you have abandoned the NFL and NBA due to your demand for principled behavior on the field or on the table? Anyone ? Somebody?

I just thought it was the height of hypocrisy and pointed it out. And it was JMHO. You can hate Earl, but be consistent in your quest for perfect athletes in todays world.

I'll take Earl over the NBA or NFL every day and twice on Sunday. Earl is a catholic school girl compared to the trash that is allowed to play in NBA and NFL.

mudball
03-28-2011, 11:41 AM
Earl is the best living pool player and is willing to continue to preform for us. Let's give a little help to our professional players, let's support our pros, let's play some pool.

That is a pretty big statement. I have no doubt Earl is ONE of the best living (and obviously one of the best of all time). But #1 right now? I understand you have to have full and complete confidence in your horse but I'm gonna have to disagree on that one.

My thoughts from this match:

- Earl can still play, no doubt. SVB did not have his best weekend, not making excuses, just sayin.

- Earl CANNOT play straight up (but he could if he chose to). Whether its rules (requiring a shot clock for Alex? Get real.), antics or whatever. He put on a circus show with the headphones and crowd interaction. His comments to Shane were out of line. Period.

- I don't believe Earl would have acted the way he did if it had been Efren sitting in the other chair, he knows it would have gotten him zero, hence the match probably would have never even went down.

- I believe SVB should play him on it again. Since we all now know the circus sideshow to be expected from Earl it wouldn't rattle him so much, but I'm sure Earl could come up with something new to surprise us with.

- I like Alex, Ronnie Alcano or Efren in this game (SVB still too). If I had the bankroll to do it I'd put them in the box no doubt, but since I don't my post is irrelevant.

DunnM1
03-28-2011, 11:51 AM
Actually, looked to me that it was fixed! And showed why this great game will never get as big as golf or bowling on the big screen. Another example of why we can not get big sponsorship backing our game. Just disappointed.

mikeyfrost
03-28-2011, 12:41 PM
there are 20 that i dont even know their names.

Only response i can think of is...."Big Money, ship the 100 Big Money"

labatt ice rod
03-28-2011, 12:56 PM
All i have to say is watch out Earl you just pissed off a lion and one thing you dont want to do is mess with a lion when he is hungry. Go get em Alex. doesn't matter what able Alex plays on but you put him on a 10ft and its lights out....... I got alex by 15 racks .............

Snake Plisken
03-28-2011, 01:01 PM

I really don't know how you intended this.
If it was to be helpful... Then thanks.. I guess.

If it was meant sarcastically... Then get a F*&#'n life!

Please choose your intended meaning and accept the appropriate response.

Thank you for your participation. :thumbup:

"CaliRed".
03-28-2011, 04:50 PM

I really don't know how you intended this.
If it was to be helpful... Then thanks.. I guess.

If it was meant sarcastically... Then get a F*&#'n life!

Please choose your intended meaning and accept the appropriate response.

Thank you for your participation. :thumbup:

I don't think it's hard to figure out... you stuck your foot in your mouth on that one:) You made the cardinal sin of criticizing someone on grammar/spelling/sentence structure and then having all kinds of errors in your own post.

If you decide to make those kind of posts, you got to be a lot more careful, or you deservedly get hammered for it.:p

What do they say these days???

Epic Fail........ BUSTED!!!!

Snake Plisken
03-28-2011, 05:22 PM
I don't think it's hard to figure out... you stuck your foot in your mouth on that one:) You made the cardinal sin of criticizing someone on grammar/spelling/sentence structure and then having all kinds of errors in your own post.

If you decide to make those kind of posts, you got to be a lot more careful, or you deservedly get hammered for it.:p

What do they say these days???

Epic Fail........ BUSTED!!!!

Just an fyi. I typed my thoughts out very quickly and did not proof read it
as I normally would.

My statement was not to critisize grammar nor punctuation, but to point out a writing style that makes posts very difficult to read. If I wanted to correct grammar and spelling I would be on here all day.

I don't give a sh**t if you can't spell. Just give a little thought and consideration to people who take the time to read your post. Stringing what could/should have been 5 or 6 paragraphs instead was one block paragraph, this makes it a challenge to read on a computer.
I am sure many here understand and agree with this.

Now why don't you pull your panties out of your vjj and stick to commenting on posts that are within your ability to grasp and understand.

If you had an ounce of common sense you would have saved me the trouble of a response to your ignorant post.
As to the original poster... well... I think you can figure it out....

Quesports
03-28-2011, 05:40 PM
Too bad Charlie Sheen is not a pool player. Can you imagine what a match between Charlie & Earl would be like! They could call it the Shark & Bark Pool Challenge!!

Luxury
03-28-2011, 06:15 PM
The shot clock Earl proposes would cut out some of Earl's interaction with the crowd. I'm a huge shot clock fan.

gulyassy
03-28-2011, 08:39 PM
The shot clock Earl proposes would cut out some of Earl's interaction with the crowd. I'm a huge shot clock fan.

This is the most intelligent post I have seen.

derekdisco
03-28-2011, 09:01 PM
If you really believe this you will stand by your word and have Earl play Shane a race to 100 on a 9 footer like you agreed to.

What about this?

billychips
03-29-2011, 07:01 AM
What about this?

In southern Ohio Disco, this is referred to as the noise of the "backpedaling crickets."

EZMoney
03-29-2011, 07:28 AM

Talk to the Marsman as to if there will be a rematch on the 9 footer. I'm sure Mike and Earl wouldn't have a problem with it. Dude you giving odds on the Archer/Earl match this weekend? I didn't think so.

billychips
03-29-2011, 07:35 AM
Talk to the Marsman as to if there will be a rematch on the 9 footer. I'm sure Mike and Earl wouldn't have a problem with it. Dude you giving odds on the Archer/Earl match this weekend? I didn't think so.

If I did give odds on it, you wouldnt have the heart to bet anyway so why are you asking?

SLIM
03-29-2011, 07:41 AM
the shot clock earl proposes would cut out some of earl's interaction with the crowd. I'm a huge shot clock fan.

most of earls ranting & bichin about what he interpreted as audience interference took place after he took his shots.
His tantrums where he threw his stick against the table & threw his one set of earmuffs on the floor happened after he shot.
The ranting he aimed at shane usually happened at the beginning of shane’s shooting time, so i do not see how having a shot clock would have solved any problems.

Just to be clear, i am a fan of earls, i was just very disappointed to see how he acted during the match.
This was not his typical bichin & complaining, it went far beyond that.

SLIM

EZMoney
03-29-2011, 07:43 AM
If I did give odds on it, you wouldnt have the heart to bet anyway so why are you asking?

I had part of your last payoff via a fellow AZer.:wink:

ceebee
03-29-2011, 07:49 AM
I don't watch the sports channels. NONE of the Pro Sports (Baseball, Football, Basketball, Soccer) ever got a dime from me.

I was a Golf Professional for a few years & now I'm in the Pool Business. I like to watch the matches in Pool & Billiards, no time for Golf.

As far as the Earl vs SVB match goes, if Earl is restrained, he can't beat SVB. If you have to shark someone, to beat them, you can't beat them.

Next time if Earl gets out of his seat or says anything, it's loss of game & SVB gets the Break.

Use a neutral person to rack the balls. One adjustment allowed.

Playing on that P.O.S. table is a joke. Next time the rolls will go the other way & we'll get to hear some real crying & moaning, similar to a "Pig under a gate".

I'd like to hear some good MC's roaming thru the crowd, maybe even some conversations with folks who have a big stake in the game, maybe even visit with a few Railbirds.

billychips
03-29-2011, 07:49 AM
I had part of your last payoff via a fellow AZer.:wink:

Sure you did.

Rick S.
03-29-2011, 07:54 AM
i had part of your last payoff via a fellow azer.:wink:

lol!!!!

Ouch

EZMoney
03-29-2011, 07:54 AM
Sure you did.

Check with KK9 *s@h01#.

uwate
03-29-2011, 08:00 AM
if earl plays alex on the 10ft table, he will have to play with a shot clock if he hopes to win. I remember what alex did with svb where he totally slowed things down and took a ridiculous amount of breaks to cool shane off anytime he got a gear going.

billychips
03-29-2011, 08:01 AM
Check with KK9 *s@h01#.

You are calling me a nit and you had to share a $100 bet with someone? Wow you have tons of gamble. If Earl plays Shane on a 9 footer like he agreed to, I will give you 3-1 odds again, with one stipulation. You have to go all in. Now who is the nit, NIT!

SLIM
03-29-2011, 08:06 AM
i don't watch the sports channels. None of the pro sports (baseball, football, basketball, soccer) ever got a dime from me.

I was a golf professional for a few years & now i'm in the pool business. I like to watch the matches in pool & billiards, no time for golf.

As far as the earl vs svb match goes, if earl is restrained, he can't beat svb. If you have to shark someone, to beat them, you can't beat them.

Next time if earl gets out of his seat or says anything, it's loss of game & svb gets the break.

Use a neutral person to rack the balls. One adjustment allowed.

Playing on that p.o.s. Table is a joke. Next time the rolls will go the other way & we'll get to hear some real crying & moaning, similar to a "pig under a gate".

I'd like to hear some good mc's roaming thru the crowd, maybe even some conversations with folks who have a big stake in the game, maybe even visit with a few railbirds.

you are talking out your ass & you are wrong.

Shane thought he could win the match until about the time earl got to 94. The sharking is not what caused shane to lose the match.

SLIM

EZMoney
03-29-2011, 08:07 AM
You are calling me a nit and you had to share a $100 bet with someone? Wow you have tons of gamble. If Earl plays Shane on a 9 footer like he agreed to, I will give you 3-1 odds again, with one stipulation. You have to go all in. Now who is the nit, NIT!

I think your bet was 6 to one odds when it first came out so who's the Nit?

houmatroy
03-29-2011, 08:10 AM

I would think it would be the 1 wanting more odds when he likes the game outright..just saying !:rolleyes:

Mr Hoppe
03-29-2011, 08:11 AM
QUOTE: Snake Pilsken: "If anyone wants to make an analogy between Earl's behavior during the TAR match with Shane and other professioal athlete's behavior in an attempt to defend Earl, you are functioning at about a third grade level.

QUOTE: ChicagoRJ: Well, if you actually read the posts thoroughly, nobody, including myself mentioned his actions were justified. But certainly not the reason pool is where it is because of his behavior.

I only asked the simple question of how come those who are bad mouthing Earl, show up to NBA and NFL games when the players are so much worse, including criminal convictions for murder, rape, dog drownings, gun charges, violently attacking fans in the stands, drug usage, drug selling and drugged up hookers, etc. etc. (do I really need to go on?)

Why does everyone's moral and principled ethics only apply to the always "principled and ethical" game of billiards? No pun intended...

I only asked why don't the "haters" come on and tell me that they DO NOT watch NOR support any NFL or NBA games. Yet, nobody spoke up. The silence was quite deafening to me.

It sounds like there is a lot of moral ambiguity by some of the "haters". You can't have it both ways. Players actions in the NFL are supported by you as well as by the mega sponsors and the TV networks, etc. etc. Earl talks trash and you want him hung by his toenails, he is accused of being the problem with pool today, and the lack of sponsors is his personal undoing. Really?

So, again, I'm just asking how many of you have abandoned the NFL and NBA due to your demand for principled behavior on the field or on the table? Anyone ? Somebody?

I just thought it was the height of hypocrisy and pointed it out. And it was JMHO. You can hate Earl, but be consistent in your quest for perfect athletes in todays world.

I'll take Earl over the NBA or NFL every day and twice on Sunday. Earl is a catholic school girl compared to the trash that is allowed to play in NBA and NFL.

The NFL players are not waiving their guns, snorting their drugs, drowning their dogs, and beating their hookers while competing in their professional sport and being broadcast to a national audience. If this did happen, I guarantee there would be serious ramifications, and indeed there have been players suspended and fired for their conduct "OFF duty," let alone ON, which fits Earl's case being discussed. Obviously, the public has much less knowledge of a person's conduct while behind closed doors, than they have if they are paying to watch it on video. This analogy is seriously flawed. Please reboot.

billychips
03-29-2011, 08:13 AM

Guess you should have bet then.

ceebee
03-29-2011, 08:13 AM
we all have a nose & an opinion. You are welcome to yours. I'll stand by my opinion.

JAM
03-29-2011, 08:20 AM
I wonder if anybody who won money on Earl sent him a little jelly roll.

:rotflmao1::rotflmao1::rotflmao1:

SLIM
03-29-2011, 08:22 AM
we all have a nose & an opinion. You are welcome to yours. I'll stand by my opinion.

i apologize for the t.o.y.a. Comment, that was not necessary.
On what do you base your opinion?
Is it a dislike for earl?
Do you really think shane was bothered by earl's crap?
They both shot on the same table under the same conditions.

SLIM

billychips
03-29-2011, 08:29 AM
I wonder if anybody who won money on Earl sent him a little jelly roll.

:rotflmao1::rotflmao1::rotflmao1:

Did you bet on your classless hero?

JAM
03-29-2011, 08:35 AM
Did you bet on your classless hero?

He ain't my hero. I guess you ain't been 'round these parts in recent times. :grin-square:

If I had bet, though, I would have bet on Earl because, as a veteran player on a variety of equipment, he had the edge. I heard that Earl used to play snooker in his younger life. That was a popular game down South years ago. Plus, he played on the 10-footers in Detroit when he was up-and-coming.

Older players do adjust to equipment much quicker than the younger players, and then there's Earl's experience on the 10-footers. He had the edge. It didn't mean it was a slam-dunk, though.

I do wonder. Did Earl play good, or did Shane have a bad day? Good players can't win every time, you know. Everybody has a bad day, even Shane. :)

billychips
03-29-2011, 08:43 AM
He ain't my hero. I guess you ain't been 'round these parts in recent times. :grin-square:

If I had bet, though, I would have bet on Earl because, as a veteran player on a variety of equipment, he had the edge. I heard that Earl used to play snooker in his younger life. That was a popular game down South years ago. Plus, he played on the 10-footers in Detroit when he was up-and-coming.

Older players do adjust to equipment much quicker than the younger players, and then there's Earl's experience on the 10-footers. He had the edge. It didn't mean it was a slam-dunk, though.

I do wonder. Did Earl play good, or did Shane have a bad day? Good players can't win every time, you know. Everybody has a bad day, even Shane. :)

Honestly after the first few hours on Friday I couldnt take watching Earl act like that and didnt watch another game. I just find it funny how all of these Earl nuthuggers come on here and run there mouth after the match is over saying they knew that he was going to win. Earl is a complete douchebag and deserves ZERO respect from anyone. I am just glad I wasnt there.

JAM
03-29-2011, 08:48 AM
Honestly after the first few hours on Friday I couldnt take watching Earl act like that and didnt watch another game. I just find it funny how all of these Earl nuthuggers come on here and run there mouth after the match is over saying they knew that he was going to win. Earl is a complete douchebag and deserves ZERO respect from anyone. I am just glad I wasnt there.

Just touching on the topic of odds, this is how I see it.

Older players are used to playing on shoddy equipment. That is one reason, as a matter of fact, why the Filipinos are so good. They used to play 15-ball rotation on uneven tables with holes in the cloth and different-sized balls. When they came to the States and played a shortened game of 9-ball rotation on pristine equipment, they ruled the roost.

I don't think that today's players experienced as much of that crappy equipment as often as those who traveled the circuit in yesteryear. It does allow the player who has seasoning to adjust much quicker. In this respect, it gives a player like Earl that edge, so to speak, against someone like Shane.

I don't bet on pool unless I'm there in person as a rule, and even then, I have selective gambling habits. Because of my work schedule, I'm unable to watch Ustreams very often. I'm usually asleep when they are in progress. I get up at 3 and 4 a.m. sometimes. It's how I roll.

EZMoney
03-29-2011, 09:12 AM
Guess you should have bet then.

If you ck your records, I did bet then with KK9, so who's doing the CrawFish. Have you lost confidence in your boy or gained respect for Mr. Stricklands game?

ChicagoRJ
03-29-2011, 10:13 AM
The NFL players are not waiving their guns, snorting their drugs, drowning their dogs, and beating their hookers while competing in their professional sport and being broadcast to a national audience. If this did happen, I guarantee there would be serious ramifications, and indeed there have been players suspended and fired for their conduct "OFF duty," let alone ON, which fits Earl's case being discussed. Obviously, the public has much less knowledge of a person's conduct while behind closed doors, than they have if they are paying to watch it on video. This analogy is seriously flawed. Please reboot.

C'mon Hoppe !!

Really, they never go into the stands to attack fans? They never throw baseballs at fans? You mean Jordan never trashed talked anyone and tried to use it to his advantage in a playoff game? They never intentionally try and harm their opponent with a 95mph fastball to the head? They are not taking drugs, before, during or after games? Baseball and football players never get into actual physical fights with their opponents? Baseball managers never jump in to fight the other coaches and players and right in front of the little kiddies watching the game?

And their "off the field" actions show their true character, does it not? and we know exactly what happened behind closed doors. I don't need to see dogs actually being drowned to understand it. Or see someones girlfriend get her teeth bashed in or see somebody shoot some dude in a bar.

C'mon Hoppe, you know, I know, everyone knows how bad it is in the pro main stream sports. But we have one guy in a fringe sport that nobody outside of pool even knows, almost getting his nuts kicked in over some trash talking and some antics. As far as his personal life, I don't know much about Earl, and I'm betting no gun charges, arrests for drugs, or beating his wife or kicking his dog.

All I'm saying is try and put a little perspective in this whole thing. If you are a NFL, NBA, and MLB fan, and none of that bothers you, how could some minor antics throw all the rail birds here into such a hissy fit? It just makes no sense to me. Making this guy out to be the anti-christ is what "is seriously flawed".

My logic is NOT flawed in the least. If you are throwing Earl under the bus, but giving a free pass to the losers in the mainstream sports, that is the pretty hypocritical. You can't even agree that the main stream sports are filled with cons and trash and now you defend it because it is behind closed doors! And now I expertly pointed out that it is NOT in fact all behind closed doors? Whoops, time to change your Earl bashing strategy. Just when you thought you had me I come back with some more facts to chew on.....yikes !!

Rick S.
03-29-2011, 10:23 AM
If you ck your records, I did bet then with KK9, so who's doing the CrawFish. Have you lost confidence in your boy or gained respect for Mr. Stricklands game?

If anyone really thinks that Earl has a chance at this game, please rob me. I will give up 3-1 on the money and take Shane. If Shane loses, I pay off and if Shane plays the second set on the nine footer, I get to bet the same amount and the second time I will lay 6-1. So, if you really think Earl can win, and he cant, bet at least 100 to win 300. Wow if anyone bets I feel like it is a late Christmas present. Oh, and by the way, 15 years ago Shane would still hijack Earl.

Looks like you're right EZMoney.

paksat
03-29-2011, 10:33 AM
C'mon Hoppe !!

Really, they never go into the stands to attack fans? They never throw baseballs at fans? You mean Jordan never trashed talked anyone and tried to use it to his advantage in a playoff game? They never intentionally try and harm their opponent with a 95mph fastball to the head? They are not taking drugs, before, during or after games? Baseball and football players never get into actual physical fights with their opponents? Baseball managers never jump in to fight the other coaches and players and right in front of the little kiddies watching the game?

And their "off the field" actions show their true character, does it not? and we know exactly what happened behind closed doors. I don't need to see dogs actually being drowned to understand it. Or see someones girlfriend get her teeth bashed in or see somebody shoot some dude in a bar.

C'mon Hoppe, you know, I know, everyone knows how bad it is in the pro main stream sports. But we have one guy in a fringe sport that nobody outside of pool even knows, almost getting his nuts kicked in over some trash talking and some antics. As far as his personal life, I don't know much about Earl, and I'm betting no gun charges, arrests for drugs, or beating his wife or kicking his dog.

All I'm saying is try and put a little perspective in this whole thing. If you are a NFL, NBA, and MLB fan, and none of that bothers you, how could some minor antics throw all the rail birds here into such a hissy fit? It just makes no sense to me. Making this guy out to be the anti-christ is what "is seriously flawed".

My logic is NOT flawed in the least. If you are throwing Earl under the bus, but giving a free pass to the losers in the mainstream sports, that is the pretty hypocritical. You can't even agree that the main stream sports are filled with cons and trash and now you defend it because it is behind closed doors! And now I expertly pointed out that it is NOT in fact all behind closed doors? Whoops, time to change your Earl bashing strategy. Just when you thought you had me I come back with some more facts to chew on.....yikes !!

You can beat on this all you want Chicago, it's a public forum but you need to go and take a logic class like the guy said, it's flawed, so far out of proportion that it's not even worth debating about.

ChicagoRJ
03-29-2011, 11:09 AM
You can beat on this all you want Chicago, it's a public forum but you need to go and take a logic class like the guy said, it's flawed, so far out of proportion that it's not even worth debating about.

Well then, please describe the flaws in detail since you know so much. Please, I'd love to here it.

But you have not even answered the question of why you still watch main stream sports with all the criminals and thugs. I asked that many posts ago, but when you can't win your argument you just ignore the facts.

And no you won't answer, I just expect you to disappear again, because that's what trolls do, they make a quick hit, and an insult and then off they go back under the bridge. LMAO...

paksat
03-29-2011, 11:15 AM
Well then, please describe the flaws in detail since you know so much. Please, I'd love to here it.

But you have not even answered the question of why you still watch main stream sports with all the criminals and thugs. I asked that many posts ago, but when you can't win your argument you just ignore the facts.

And no you won't answer, I just expect you to disappear again, because that's what trolls do, they make a quick hit, and an insult and then off they go back under the bridge. LMAO...

Yes I did, in the pm i've covered what I will cover for you

And that's called being smart, you ever heard that phrase don't argue with an idiot?

Not calling you one though, I would never haha.

ChicagoRJ
03-29-2011, 11:22 AM
Yes I did, in the pm i've covered what I will cover for you

And that's called being smart, you ever heard that phrase don't argue with an idiot?

Not calling you one though, I would never haha.

Because you don't have the balls to put them here in the forum so we can see your weak argument. Just tell me what the flaw is? You've been dodging this one for awhile now and now I got you in a tight spot and you don't know what to do. That's OK....you don't have to bring your "logic" here.

PS: If you want to take an IQ test, post the money with the forum leaders and the best man wins, I'm in for any amount you can come with. This here is a NO LIMIT offer, and only for you.... nobody else. You IN ??
If you accept we can work out the details later. Just want to make sure you Man up first. You pick the amount? Whatever you want to bring I will cover AND give you 2-1 on your money. And please, don't forget, you insulted my intelligenge first, so rather than respond in kind, lets see what you got? Live stream maybe??

EricB78
03-29-2011, 11:29 AM

I thought I'd throw a little .02 in here. The problem with your argument is that you are comparing a sport that is one on one to team sports. In the NBA, NFL, NHL, and MLB there is more than just 2 people in any given matchup. I don't think that anyone is saying that they are done watching pool all together due to Earl's antics. They are merely saying they do not like or respect Earl for the person he is around a pool table. These same people can feel the same way about individual players on any given team because for every one player on any team you have several that are worth giving your respect to.

Maybe you should try comparing it to boxing or MMA. A sport that is one on one is much easier to compare to. I personally do not cheer for/like a fighter that treats their opponent with disrespect or someone who is generally just not a good person. Even in MMA where the ultimate goal is to inflict pain on your opponent there is a huge amount of respect between competitors(most of the time).

I know my favorite athletes, in any sport, have talent AND class. This is why I will never cheer for Earl. I don't G.A.F. how talented you are if you treat someone like SVB with the amount of disrespect that Earl did I have no ounce of respect for you as a person. That's just my opinion though. And I'm pretty sure, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

paksat
03-29-2011, 11:36 AM
Because you don't have the balls to put them here in the forum so we can see your weak argument. Just tell me what the flaw is? You've been dodging this one for awhile now and now I got you in a tight spot and you don't know what to do. That's OK....you don't have to bring your "logic" here.

PS: If you want to take an IQ test, post the money with the forum leaders and the best man wins, I'm in for any amount you can come with. This here is a NO LIMIT offer, and only for you.... nobody else. You IN ??
If you accept we can work out the details later. Just want to make sure you Man up first. You pick the amount? Whatever you want to bring I will cover AND give you 2-1 on your money. And please, don't forget, you insulted my intelligenge first, so rather than respond in kind, lets see what you got? Live stream maybe??

Insults, exclamation points, you thinking 65 words a minute is something, flawed logic.. I didn't even read the second paragraph.

Maybe someone else will go on with you since you're wanting to debate it so badly.

EDIT: And i'm talking about the rest of your posts not just that first paragraph since I know you'll point out "oh there is no exclamation points in that first paragraph!!!!!!"

ChicagoRJ
03-29-2011, 11:50 AM
Insults, exclamation points, you thinking 65 words a minute is something, flawed logic.. I didn't even read the second paragraph.

Maybe someone else will go on with you since you're wanting to debate it so badly.

EDIT: And i'm talking about the rest of your posts not just that first paragraph since I know you'll point out "oh there is no exclamation points in that first paragraph!!!!!!"

WOW, skipped right over the IQ test challenge. Just got PM'ed and was advised that you cannot challenge a troll. And damn if there weren't right. I should of known better, if you feed the trolls they keep coming back... take care.

The green reps are still coming in... thanks to all who responded in Earls defense !

ChicagoRJ
03-29-2011, 11:59 AM
I thought I'd throw a little .02 in here. The problem with your argument is that you are comparing a sport that is one on one to team sports. In the NBA, NFL, NHL, and MLB there is more than just 2 people in any given matchup. I don't think that anyone is saying that they are done watching pool all together due to Earl's antics. They are merely saying they do not like or respect Earl for the person he is around a pool table. These same people can feel the same way about individual players on any given team because for every one player on any team you have several that are worth giving your respect to.

Maybe you should try comparing it to boxing or MMA. A sport that is one on one is much easier to compare to. I personally do not cheer for/like a fighter that treats their opponent with disrespect or someone who is generally just not a good person. Even in MMA where the ultimate goal is to inflict pain on your opponent there is a huge amount of respect between competitors(most of the time).

I know my favorite athletes, in any sport, have talent AND class. This is why I will never cheer for Earl. I don't G.A.F. how talented you are if you treat someone like SVB with the amount of disrespect that Earl did I have no ounce of respect for you as a person. That's just my opinion though. And I'm pretty sure, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Really? It makes a difference if a team sport or not. The pitcher versus batter is the most one on one thing in team sports and is almost like a one on one match up. Hitter versus pitcher! The ulitimate challenge. So, no, not really a big difference. Because of all the lame mainstream sports stars, you are still following them, betting on them, cheering for them.
Wearing their jersys and taking the kiddies to the game, JUST LIKE I DO !!
I love baseball and played baseball all my life. And still love it.

But the antics still don't compare between mainstream sports and the little rants of Earl. Not even close. Taking a fastball to the head (on purpose) is not even close to being the same as Earl throwing one small piece of chalk at a chair.

Hey, it would be better if Earl didn't do it. But when you throw him under the bus but kiss the arses of mainstream sports, it just seems a little silly, ya know what I mean?

I'm not really sure when pool players suddenly became angels. I guess I missed that over night change. So, I'm cool with the "haters" as you know they will be buying the stream and spending money to "root" against him, and that is good for everyone, the pool room, the stream dudes, the fans, etc. It's gonna be a great match this weekend too !!

derekdisco
03-29-2011, 12:07 PM
Looks like you're right EZMoney.
Mike and earl are too scared to honor the agreement to play on the 9 foot. 6-1 or 3-1 it dosnt matter what billy offered.

mudball
03-29-2011, 12:08 PM

How much further can you go? Just stop. Please.
http://www.backseatblogger.com/images/digging_hole001.jpg

EricB78
03-29-2011, 12:26 PM
Really? It makes a difference if a team sport or not. The pitcher versus batter is the most one on one thing in team sports and is almost like a one on one match up. Hitter versus pitcher! The ulitimate challenge. So, no, not really a big difference. Because of all the lame mainstream sports stars, you are still following them, betting on them, cheering for them.
Wearing their jersys and taking the kiddies to the game, JUST LIKE I DO !!
I love baseball and played baseball all my life. And still love it.

But the antics still don't compare between mainstream sports and the little rants of Earl. Not even close. Taking a fastball to the head (on purpose) is not even close to being the same as Earl throwing one small piece of chalk at a chair.

Hey, it would be better if Earl didn't do it. But when you throw him under the bus but kiss the arses of mainstream sports, it just seems a little silly, ya know what I mean?

I'm not really sure when pool players suddenly became angels. I guess I missed that over night change. So, I'm cool with the "haters" as you know they will be buying the stream and spending money to "root" against him, and that is good for everyone, the pool room, the stream dudes, the fans, etc. It's gonna be a great match this weekend too !!

I understand your argument, however, I don't bet on sports and definitely don't cheer for DB's. I cheer for a few teams and go to only one teams games. And unless you know something about a player on the Phillies that I don't, it would be hard to argue supporting that team. Also, I do not buy jersey's and if I did it would only be for a standup guy.

The reason a team sport does not compare to pool is that in any given matchup in pool, you're cheering(if at all) for ONE person or another. In team sports, I think this is the same for almost everyone, you're cheering for a GROUP of people and not just an individual.

The pitcher versus the batter argument doesn't exactly hold up either unless you were to take the other 8 position players off the field. I'm pretty sure the pitcher wouldn't catch a fly ball to center field.

Also, "throwing someone under the bus" is when you let someone know about something a person has done that is usually at the detriment of the person you're telling. I'm not quite sure how people not liking Earl's behavior is throwing him under the bus.

I know for me, I'm a big fan of the golden rule. My problem with Earl is that all of the things he complains the fans do to him, he then turns around and does the same thing to his opponents. I respect a person when they deserve it. Earl's pool game deserves a ton of respect because he is an amazing player. There's no doubt about that. But as a person, I don't think Earl deserves anyone's respect.

And all of this crap about him being bi-polar. Or that it's some mental disorder. IT'S BULLS*%T. He knows exactly what he's doing. I don't care what anyone says. He's just a child living in a 49 year olds body. Then again, that's just my opinion I guess too.

ChicagoRJ
03-29-2011, 12:46 PM
How much further can you go? Just stop. Please.
http://www.backseatblogger.com/images/digging_hole001.jpg

Ha ha,, ,keep digging, I heard those trolls ( paksat) can crawl pretty deep......

Shawn Armstrong
03-29-2011, 01:08 PM
WOW, skipped right over the IQ test challenge. Just got PM'ed and was advised that you cannot challenge a troll. And damn if there weren't right. I should of known better, if you feed the trolls they keep coming back... take care.

The green reps are still coming in... thanks to all who responded in Earls defense !

Just a note for the guy challenging people to an IQ test - study for the vocabulary portion. It's "should HAVE", not "should OF". Again, no disrespect intended - just making sure you're prepared in case he ponies up the money.

Bobby
03-29-2011, 01:12 PM
Just a note for the guy challenging people to an IQ test - study for the vocabulary portion. It's "should HAVE", not "should OF". Again, no disrespect intended - just making sure you're prepared in case he ponies up the money.

That's one of my biggest peeves! It seems that people that write "should of" have become the rule rather than the exception.

ChicagoRJ
03-29-2011, 01:18 PM

No worries. Even I can make a grammatical mistake now and then. But a troll gonna pony up the money? No way. He glossed right over that challenge. Heck, I might be the biggest idiot in Chicago and I was giving him 2 to 1 on his money. I think he was getting the right odds there, and he had to shove there if he had any gamble at all. But instead, folded like a cheap card table. I mean, if he is gonna call folks idiots, he's gotta at least back it up, no? I gave him the chance to prove himself right?

PS: And I am on the "good action list", so this was not a bluff by me. The offer is still out there for pakysack.

SLIM
03-29-2011, 01:24 PM
you have hyjacked this one.

SLIM

Snake Plisken
03-29-2011, 01:41 PM
C'mon Hoppe !!

I would like to take a shot at addressing your post. I understand where you are coming from but I respectfully disagree. I am not here to get into a pissing match (I did that earlier and really isn't my style) but instead to attempt to point out the flaws in your logic.

Firstly, even if your analogies comparing Earl's behavior to other athletes was accurate (which it is not) that does not excuse his bahavior in the TAR match against SVB.

Did Michael Jordan trash talk to his opponents? Yes, as do other athletes in hockey, football, mma, etc... Trash talking in these more physical (and adrenaline filled) sports is not only accepted but can be considered part of the game, a "psychological warfare" if you will.

Do pitchers in MLB attempt to hit batters in the head with a fastball? Hell No! I am surprised someone that played baseball their entire life would make this statement. Do pitchers throw some chin music in an attempt to brush the batter off the plate a little to make him afraid to dig in and control the inside portion of the plate? Yes, of course, and it is an accepted strategy and part of the game.

Do pitchers intentionally throw at batters? Yes, unfortunately and it is usually in a form of retaliation. It is not accepted as sportsman like, If identified correctly by the umpire it will result in immediate ejection and that pitcher will generally be bbq'd by the announcers and the media. A suspension and other form of punishment will usually follow.

I can't remember a MLB player ever throwing a ball at a fan?
Have basketball players and hockey players gone after fans in the stands?
Yes, and it is never defended! It will result in a large fine and a suspension! On top of that they become the topic of how NOT to act and what Not to do as a professional athlete!

Now understand this, I am not an Earl hater. I am an Earl fan, and because of that his behavior during that TAR match probably bothered me more than those that dislike Earl. I had to stop rooting for him during that match because I could not support his childish behavior.

If you want make a more accurate analogy between sports I think you would have to look at golf or bowling. A sport where an individual performs individually and one at a time as opposed to a simultaneous offense and defense. In these sports it is not accepted as "part of the game" or sportsman like "psychological warfare" to attempt to throw your opponent off his game by trash talking or other distractions.
Instead, the expected behavior of sportsmanship is to allow the player to perform without distractions. This also include his mental preperation just prior to taking his shot.

As far as how these athletes act off the playing field. Once again an inaccurate analogy. We are discussing Earl's actions and behavior during a match so what Earl or any other athlete doe off the field is completely irrelevant to this discussion.

paksat
03-29-2011, 01:45 PM

I could give a f*ck RJ, enjoy.

justadub
03-29-2011, 01:49 PM

Just for accuracys sake... Albert "Don't Call Me Joey" Belle

http://www.nytimes.com/1991/05/12/sports/baseball-belle-hits-fan-with-a-ball.html

A real piece of work, Mr.Belle.

As to a couple of the other points in the discussion. There are MANY instances, every season, of players getting into it verbally with fans, in all three major sports. And it is a two-way street, as often those instances are instigated by the fans. Much like has been reported regarding Earl. Except that most of the fans of the big three sports are further away from the players than these folks were from Earl.

Again, I'm not condoning Earls behavior. I just don't think it's as awful as everyone here seems to. (Again, this opinion based soley on day 3, the only day I watched.)

paksat
03-29-2011, 01:50 PM
No worries. Even I can make a grammatical mistake now and then. But a troll gonna pony up the money? No way. He glossed right over that challenge. Heck, I might be the biggest idiot in Chicago and I was giving him 2 to 1 on his money. I think he was getting the right odds there, and he had to shove there if he had any gamble at all. But instead, folded like a cheap card table. I mean, if he is gonna call folks idiots, he's gotta at least back it up, no? I gave him the chance to prove himself right?

PS: And I am on the "good action list", so this was not a bluff by me. The offer is still out there for pakysack.

I don't gamble with @ssholes RJ, like I said, I don't give a sh*t. I have a life to live, I was at work this entire time and I just came home because I feel that terrible after a long ( and fun ) night yesterday.

Gambling with you would be like gambling with Earl, we've all seen how enjoyable that is.

I want to enjoy what i'm doing, I don't enjoy being in situations where there is arguing and threats and insults and etc. I enjoy gambling on pool and I enjoy the game itself... not the mind games.

paksat
03-29-2011, 01:51 PM
Just for accuracys sake... Albert "Don't Call Me Joey" Belle

http://www.nytimes.com/1991/05/12/sports/baseball-belle-hits-fan-with-a-ball.html

A real piece of work, Mr.Belle.

As to a couple of the other points in the discussion. There are MANY instances, every season, of players getting into it verbally with fans, in all three major sports. And it is a two-way street, as often those instances are instigated by the fans. Much like has been reported regarding Earl. Except that most of the fans of the big three sports are further away from the players than these folks were from Earl.

Again, I'm not condoning Earls behavior. I just don't think it's as awful as everyone here seems to. (Again, this opinion based soley on day 3, the only day I watched.)

You didn't see it then if you only seen the last day. The damage was already done.

paksat
03-29-2011, 01:55 PM
I would like to take a shot at addressing your post. I understand where you are coming from but I respectfully disagree. I am not here to get into a pissing match (I did that earlier and really isn't my style) but instead to attempt to point out the flaws in your logic.

Firstly, even if your analogies comparing Earl's behavior to other athletes was accurate (which it is not) that does not excuse his bahavior in the TAR match against SVB.

Did Michael Jordan trash talk to his opponents? Yes, as do other athletes in hockey, football, mma, etc... Trash talking in these more physical (and adrenaline filled) sports is not only accepted but can be considered part of the game, a "psychological warfare" if you will.

Do pitchers in MLB attempt to hit batters in the head with a fastball? Hell No! I am surprised someone that played baseball their entire life would make this statement. Do pitchers throw some chin music in an attempt to brush the batter off the plate a little to make him afraid to dig in and control the inside portion of the plate? Yes, of course, and it is an accepted strategy and part of the game.

Do pitchers intentionally throw at batters? Yes, unfortunately and it is usually in a form of retaliation. It is not accepted as sportsman like, If identified correctly by the umpire it will result in immediate ejection and that pitcher will generally be bbq'd by the announcers and the media. A suspension and other form of punishment will usually follow.

Have basketball players and hockey players gone after fans in the stands?
Yes, and it is never defended! It will result in a large fine and a suspension! On top of that they become the topic of how NOT to act and what Not to do as a professional athlete!

Now understand this, I am not an Earl hater. I am an Earl fan, and because of that his behavior during that TAR match probably bothered me more than those that dislike Earl. I had to stop rooting for him during that match because I could not support his childish behavior.

If you want make a more accurate analogy between sports I think you would have to look at golf or bowling. A sport where an individual performs individually and one at a time as opposed to a simultaneous offense and defense. In these sports it is not accepted as "part of the game" or sportsman like "psychological warfare" to attempt to throw your opponent off his game by trash talking or other distractions.
Instead, the expected behavior of sportsmanship is to allow the player to perform without distractions. This also include his mental preperation just prior to taking his shot.

As far as how these athletes act off the playing field. Once again an inaccurate analogy. We are discussing Earl's actions and behavior during a match so what Earl or any other athlete doe off the field is completely irrelevant to this discussion.

Now you sir are very educated.

justadub
03-29-2011, 01:59 PM
You didn't see it then if you only seen the last day. The damage was already done.

And my point to that is we are talking about one bad day. It keeps getting mentioned over and over again how 2000 viewers were subjected to Earls horrible behavior, and that simply isn't true. 2000 viewers on Sunday were subjected to Earl being out of line, certainly. (Throwing the cue and earmuffs being the biggest issue, IMHO.) And 2000 viewers were treated to some fantastic pool by two of the top players in the game.

Was it 200 or 300 people that were subjected to the bad behavior on Fridays stream? Not that the lower number excuses the bad behavior. I'm simply trying to put some prespective in all this. To hear many of the posters, Earls behavior in front of the entire world is sending the wrong message. And that pool is going to be dragged further into the mud as a result.

The whole world didn't see it, fortunately.

The really unfortunate thing is that only 200-300 people were paying for the stream in the first place. And I'm guilty in that regard, as well.

beav99_4life
03-29-2011, 02:01 PM
And my point to that is we are talking about one bad day. It keeps getting mentioned over and over again how 2000 viewers were subjected to Earls horrible behavior, and that simply isn't true. 2000 viewers on Sunday were subjected to Earl being out of line, certainly. (Throwing the cue and earmuffs being the biggest issue, IMHO.) And 2000 viewers were treated to some fantastic pool by two of the top players in the game.

Was it 200 or 300 people that were subjected to the bad behavior on Fridays stream? Not that the lower number excuses the bad behavior. I'm simply trying to put some prespective in all this. To hear many of the posters, Earls behavior in front of the entire world is sending the wrong message. And that pool is going to be dragged further into the mud as a result.

The really unfortunate thing is that only 200-300 people were paying for the stream in the first place. And I'm guilty in that regard, as well.

We have these things called DVD's now, that way anyone will be able to see it and there will be a record of it forever.

justadub
03-29-2011, 02:08 PM
We have these things called DVD's now, that way anyone will be able to see it and there will be a record of it forever.

True that.

Hopefully TAR sells a ton of them. At $99, that'll be awesome for you guys.

How many you think will be sold? As many as watched the stream? I hope so, I truly do. More, hopefully.

paksat
03-29-2011, 02:10 PM

It's more about the "what if" if you understand me. If you try and put this on a national stage that behavior isn't going to fly and you know it.

Pool can become incredibly popular but it has to be done in a professional manner. If you had seen the 1st day you would understand what I mean. Kids couldn't watch that, that shouldn't even be debatable either.

ChicagoRJ
03-29-2011, 02:26 PM
you have hyjacked this one.

SLIM

you are correct sir. Thus, I think play time is over. At least for me ! I can't comment for the "other" guy.

punter
03-29-2011, 02:29 PM
it's more about the "what if" if you understand me. If you try and put this on a national stage that behavior isn't going to fly and you know it.

Pool can become incredibly popular but it has to be done in a professional manner. If you had seen the 1st day you would understand what i mean. Kids couldn't watch that, that shouldn't even be debatable either.

Earl !! Earl !! Earl !! Earl !!

paksat
03-29-2011, 02:30 PM
earl !! Earl !! Earl !! Earl !!

lol.. i give up, maybe someone else will take over but off i'm to the store to get some tylenol.

long live pool

MikeM
03-29-2011, 03:34 PM

I guess they don't talk trash or gesture to the crowd and taunt fans either, or do they? Rebooted.

JAM
03-29-2011, 03:39 PM
I guess they don't talk trash or gesture to the crowd and taunt fans either, or do they? Rebooted.

I'll tell you what I always found annoying was those Atlanta fans with their hatchets. When I see it in TV, it scares me: Atlanta Fans Gone Wild (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYu0N42FZUI).

:yikes::yikes::yikes:

paksat
03-29-2011, 03:52 PM

Lmao I tell you what i'll say about this dumb little debate. The second you see Randy moss sit there for 2 minutes and tell a fan not to eat potato chips while he's catching a ball.. let me know ok?

ChicagoRJ
03-29-2011, 04:04 PM
Lmao I tell you what i'll say about this dumb little debate. The second you see Randy moss sit there for 2 minutes and tell a fan not to eat potato chips while he's catching a ball.. let me know ok?

It's official. After this post I see why you didn't take me up on the 2 to 1 wager before. I wasn't sure about it then, but it appears I had the stone cold nuts all the time.

paksat
03-29-2011, 04:15 PM
It's official. After this post I see why you didn't take me up on the 2 to 1 wager before. I wasn't sure about it then, but it appears I had the stone cold nuts all the time.

Believe anything you want rj i think you'd find i'd be more then anything you could handle on a pool table or anything else but like I said.. I don't give a f*ck, i'm going to do what I like doing and if it makes your ego feel better because you think I pussed out then knock your @ss out.

ccshrimper
03-29-2011, 06:46 PM

What about Tiger Woods with the cameramen or anyone in the crowd who did something he didn't like? Does that count?

derekdisco
03-29-2011, 06:56 PM
Earl was defiantly off his rocker the entire match. There were 2 moments that I shook my head at. First one was when he slammed down his headphones and broke them. . that wasn't what had me shaking my head. He had a back up pair in his bag, as if he knew he was gonna smash the first pair. And the second is when Shane played a lock up safe, wasn't hard to execute, but he locked Earl up pretty good. Keep in mind I think Earl had about 94 wins at this point. A handful of people in the crowd Clapped after the shot. Earl goes off saying, "you people are applauding that? you think that was a hard shot? wow shows how much they know" I mean really Earl?

ChicagoRJ
03-29-2011, 07:01 PM
What about Tiger Woods with the cameramen or anyone in the crowd who did something he didn't like? Does that count?

Hey CC... I don't follow or play golf, so not sure what happened? About the only thing I know about Tiger is suppose to pretty good, and he gets a TON of A**. Man, I should have learned that silly game !
Did he get upset about something?

ribdoner
03-29-2011, 07:19 PM
Hey CC... I don't follow or play golf, so not sure what happened? About the only thing I know about Tiger is suppose to pretty good, and he gets a TON of A**. Man, I should have learned that silly game !

don't you mean he's paid for ton's of ass and will pay ton's for ass he's no longer privvy to

Rick S.
03-29-2011, 07:22 PM

Just one of many, many blowups. http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/23819152/

"At the time, Woods reacted to the click of a camera with an obscenity-laced tirade that included a threat of bodily harm to the next photographer who snaps during his swing."

ChicagoRJ
03-29-2011, 08:18 PM
don't you mean he's paid for ton's of ass and will pay ton's for ass he's no longer privvy to

Oh, hookers?? I did not know that. Yeah, paying for that pretty little blond ex-wife of his. $100M is what I heard she got. So, I guess I know three things now.....

JudgeDredd
03-29-2011, 08:24 PM
I'm confused, how this thread go from "Earl vs. Shane" to Tiger Woods having to pay for sexual favors.

ChicagoRJ
03-29-2011, 08:26 PM
I'm confused, how this thread go from "Earl vs. Shane" to Tiger Woods having to pay for sexual favors.

Because everyone can agree about SEX !!

JudgeDredd
03-29-2011, 08:34 PM
Ahhhh, the weak minded. Fortunately for me, I'll be the standing to the side while they are standing in front of the fan when the shit hits it. I applaud you all, for without you, I might suffer the same fate. LOL:thumbup:

calibration
03-29-2011, 08:57 PM
After Earls last match against Shane i will never give the man another chance for my attention. He just doesn't deserve it... He is making a mockery of a beautiful game. And now with his next match against Archer.... Johny I thought you were more than this....

Or maybe Johny is on the same business plan as Earl... to make pool more like Big Time Wrestling.

I am staying on the Shane, Efren, Bustamante bus. Men of character and super skill.

Johny you still can cancel this match and I think a great majority of pool lovers will respect you more.

As for Shane... This year at Derby he and hit some balls around for about an hour or two ( I gave him the 8, no shit). He kicked the shit out of me and I loved it.. But seriously he is a true pleasure to play against. His character is what I like the most about him.

Next year at Derby your not getting the 8 though....

JudgeDredd
03-29-2011, 09:05 PM
I agree with you 100%. I had posted this in another thread a few days ago.

Earl has nothing but a pathetic gangsta/playa gimmick that distracts his opponents. He doesn't have the1/1,000,000,000 the amount of character of Fats or any other legend. The best thing a player can say to himself is at the end of the game if he loses is, "I lost with style, with respect for my opponent and dignity in myself". If he wins then , "I feel honored to have shot against an opponent such as this, I've learned alot about them as well as myself". Earl has yet to learn the that, I doubt he ever will.

markgw
03-29-2011, 11:12 PM
Earl was defiantly off his rocker the entire match. There were 2 moments that I shook my head at. First one was when he slammed down his headphones and broke them. . that wasn't what had me shaking my head. He had a back up pair in his bag, as if he knew he was gonna smash the first pair. And the second is when Shane played a lock up safe, wasn't hard to execute, but he locked Earl up pretty good. Keep in mind I think Earl had about 94 wins at this point. A handful of people in the crowd Clapped after the shot. Earl goes off saying, "you people are applauding that? you think that was a hard shot? wow shows how much they know" I mean really Earl?

Another Earl thread......Amazing:D This is definately "earl.com."

derekdisco
03-29-2011, 11:22 PM
Another Earl thread......Amazing:D This is definately "earl.com."

Its not a thread. Its a reply in a thread entitled "Earl vs. Shane" I just added my opinion to it, since its a public forum.

jay helfert
03-30-2011, 12:35 AM
C'mon Hoppe !!

I want you to know this is exactly why I don't care too much for any of the "major" professional sports today. I have lost so much respect for far too many of these whining, self obsessed millionaires to care any more. To often they behave like the rules governing our society don't apply to them. They pretty much do what they want when they want, merely because they are rich and famous. Like that makes them better than the rest of us.

Why should I support them by buying tickets to see them play. And I rarely do any more, whereas years ago I was going to multiple games all season long. I simply don't care any more who is playing or which team will make the playoffs. I find myself watching mostly golf and tennis these days.

The same principles that have caused me to lose respect for other athletes probably applies to Earl as well. I find his behavior extremely distasteful and insulting, and for that reason I'm not a fan of his. I am definitely not one of the people who would buy a ticket to watch him play. Of course sometimes I don't have a choice but to watch him.

But please don't use the bad behavior of other athletes in other sports as an excuse for Earl's total lack of class. To compare him with athletes who have been criminals or the like is not an apt comparison, and not germane to this discussion anyway. I think the key question is whether you or anyone else finds his behavior acceptable during the course of this match. Personally it makes little difference to me if Pool is a major or minor sport. My feeling is that professional pool, like professional golf or tennis, should not allow this type of behavior and not condone it in any way, shape or form. I don't think that allowing a player to carry on like this is the best way to showcase our sport to any audience, be they big or small.

Island Drive
03-30-2011, 06:49 AM
I want you to know this is exactly why I don't care too much for any of the "major" professional sports today. I have lost so much respect for far too many of these whining, self obsessed millionaires to care any more. To often they behave like the rules governing our society don't apply to them. They pretty much do what they want when they want, merely because they are rich and famous. Like that makes them better than the rest of us.

Why should I support them by buying tickets to see them play. And I rarely do any more, whereas years ago I was going to multiple games all season long. I simply don't care any more who is playing or which team will make the playoffs. I find myself watching mostly golf and tennis these days.

The same principles that have caused me to lose respect for other athletes probably applies to Earl as well. I find his behavior extremely distasteful and insulting, and for that reason I'm not a fan of his. I am definitely not one of the people who would buy a ticket to watch him play. Of course sometimes I don't have a choice but to watch him.

But please don't use the bad behavior of other athletes in other sports as an excuse for Earl's total lack of class. To compare him with athletes who have been criminals or the like is not an apt comparison, and not germane to this discussion anyway. I think the key question is whether you or anyone else finds his behavior acceptable during the course of this match. Personally it makes little difference to me if Pool is a major or minor sport. My feeling is that professional pool, like professional golf or tennis, should not allow this type of behavior and not condone it in any way, shape or form. I don't think that allowing a player to carry on like this is the best way to showcase our sport to any audience, be they big or small.

The Denver Nuggets coach feels the same way, and now with his ''team'' back he's got his life back, why, it's because of players that think they are bigger than the game are now gone, and he can coach again.
There are many college coaches in different disciplines that won't venture into professional sport ''because'' of this type of behavior and attitude. Just think how much MORE Earl could do for the game if he acted just the opposite. It is probably why in my eyes he'll never reach his true game potential life Efren has. Many in the states condone this type of behavior, probably because they see it in media on an hour to hour basis and think its acceptable.
It just feels like we have another Lohan or a Rodman without tattoos trying to represent our sport.

Wonder what Irving Crane would say to Earl if he saw his behavior.

To me, its a man child crying out for lack of recognition/attention and reward, sad but true.
Having gambled and played Earl in 79 or 80 (over a 5-6 hr period), he never once acted like this as a young man, wonder how he evolved into this different personality. Maybe its lack of education, he could not of been more than 19-20 yrs old when he came through Los Angeles in the late 70's and I think he's been on the road ever since.
Never have seen anyone swing a cue so straight and powerful at the same time, but that alone does not condone this behavior.
Where would the PGA Masters be if it weren't for Bobby Jones and his demeanor and great behavior?
I put the Elephant in the room on all the pro players backs, its up to them collectively to raise public awareness of how our game equals golf in all aspects of difficulty, gamesmanship and character.

SpiderWebComm
03-30-2011, 07:07 AM
Just one of many, many blowups. http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/23819152/

"At the time, Woods reacted to the click of a camera with an obscenity-laced tirade that included a threat of bodily harm to the next photographer who snaps during his swing."

Not sure if it's the same incident, but the last "major" camera incident with Tiger resulted in Tiger hulking the camera out of the cameraman's hands and throwing it in an adjacent pond.

If Earl were to hulk a camera out of an onlooker's hand and bashing it, we'd all be gasping for air. I'm NOT defending Earl OR Tiger.... I'm just saying there's a double-standard with Earl. He's WAY better behaved than athletes in much larger sports.

Does he behave well? Of course not. Is he the worst out there... NO WAY. Am I an Earl fan?? OF COURSE.

People need to get off his shit. He'll never change and like it or not--- people come want to watch him more than the next guy and that's the bottom line truth. End of story.

Dave

paksat
03-30-2011, 07:11 AM
Not sure if it's the same incident, but the last "major" camera incident with Tiger resulted in Tiger hulking the camera out of the cameraman's hands and throwing it in an adjacent pond.

If Earl were to hulk a camera out of an onlooker's hand and bashing it, we'd all be gasping for air. I'm NOT defending Earl OR Tiger.... I'm just saying there's a double-standard with Earl. He's WAY better behaved than athletes in much larger sports.

Does he behave well? Of course not. Is he the worst out there... NO WAY. Am I an Earl fan?? OF COURSE.

People need to get off his shit. He'll never change and like it or not--- come want to watch him more than the next guy and that's the bottom line truth. End of story.

Dave

I don't want to ever watch him again.

But I have respect for you spider, i'm glad to see you sticking up for what you believe :)

jay helfert
03-30-2011, 07:39 AM
The Denver Nuggets coach feels the same way, and now with his ''team'' back he's got his life back, why, it's because of players that think they are bigger than the game are now gone, and he can coach again.
There are many college coaches in different disciplines that won't venture into professional sport ''because'' of this type of behavior and attitude. Just think how much MORE Earl could do for the game if he acted just the opposite. It is probably why in my eyes he'll never reach his true game potential life Efren has. Many in the states condone this type of behavior, probably because they see it in media on an hour to hour basis and think its acceptable.
It just feels like we have another Lohan or a Rodman without tattoos trying to represent our sport.

Wonder what Irving Crane would say to Earl if he saw his behavior.

To me, its a man child crying out for lack of recognition/attention and reward, sad but true.
Having gambled and played Earl in 79 or 80 (over a 5-6 hr period), he never once acted like this as a young man, wonder how he evolved into this different personality. Maybe its lack of education, he could not of been more than 19-20 yrs old when he came through Los Angeles in the late 70's and I think he's been on the road ever since.
Never have seen anyone swing a cue so straight and powerful at the same time, but that alone does not condone this behavior.
Where would the PGA Masters be if it weren't for Bobby Jones and his demeanor and great behavior?
I put the Elephant in the room on all the pro players backs, its up to them collectively to raise public awareness of how our game equals golf in all aspects of difficulty, gamesmanship and character.

Irving Crane was a fine man, a man of dignity and honor. I guarantee you that if he saw Earl acting like that he would turn on his heels and leave the room immediately. Talk to Earl - no way!

If Earl had tried this with Joe Balsis, he would have been broken in two. Or maybe a few more pieces. ;)
I would bet that Earl minded his manners in Texas if he ever played Jersey Red. Another guy who would never put up with that nonsense.

Mike Templeton
03-30-2011, 07:43 AM
With Earl, as it is with Tiger, as it was with McEnroe and almost all other less than well behaved professional atheletes... If you play the game as well or better than anyone else, tons of people are gonna pay to see you play.

franko
03-30-2011, 12:38 PM
Its amazing people want to come on here talking so much about how the crowd sharked Earl but what about Earl being the BIGGES ASS in pool during that match? You come on here saying you know how earl is if you dont like it dont watch. Well all I have to say is you know how the fans are if you dont like it tell that cry baby to play a game he can handle mentally like solitaire.

I agree with you 1000%. The fans paid for their seating and their "snacks" Earl set the tempo on Friday night before the match by telling everyone to keep their mouths shut.Then he goes and insults the crap out of Shane Vanboning.Even the fans who came there for Earl turned on him.Earl would fare better if he Duct taped his mouth.

SLIM
03-30-2011, 12:59 PM
i agree with you 1000%. The fans paid for their seating and their "snacks" earl set the tempo on friday night before the match by telling everyone to keep their mouths shut.then he goes and insults the crap out of shane vanboning.even the fans who came there for earl turned on him.earl would fare better if he duct taped his mouth.

none of earl's fans turned on him.
Some of us were embarrassed by his behavior.
We were also embarrassed by the couple of people in the audience who acted like asses.

SLIM

SpiderWebComm
03-30-2011, 01:26 PM
**** earrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl!!! ****

MikeM
03-30-2011, 03:05 PM

Or simulate dropping his pants and mooning those fans, or squirt water at a ref, or head to the locker room when his team's getting their asses kicked (wtg, Skins!), or knocking down a meter lady with his car, or ripping into sponsors on the team bus.......I'll let you know when I think Earl's antics are the end of the world..K?

paksat
03-30-2011, 03:38 PM
Or simulate dropping his pants and mooning those fans, or squirt water at a ref, or head to the locker room when his team's getting their asses kicked (wtg, Skins!), or knocking down a meter lady with his car, or ripping into sponsors on the team bus.......I'll let you know when I think Earl's antics are the end of the world..K?

And you bet your @ss he got fined.

Just stop.

And if he did get away with one of them, that means the case is no different then Earls.. he should have been penalized

justadub
03-30-2011, 03:42 PM

And that's just one NFL player.

There are obviously countless more. From all the big televised (successful) sports.

None of that justifies any of them, or Earl, acting poorly. The reason for these comparisons are to clearly point this out to those intent on blaming Earl for pro mens pools lack of success or visibility. Or that such behavior is going to prevent future success or sponsorship. It simply isn't true.

For a sport to attract financial sponsorship, it needs one thing - fan (potential customer) attention. One or two players acting inappropriately isn't going to prevent that, unless the offense is WAY over the line. Meaning criminal, for the most part. It took the discovery of MAJOR marital infidelity to get sponsors to drop Tiger Woods, and even then not all of his sponsors followed suit. A temper tantrum isn't in the same league.

One or two bad boys (or ladies, given this mornings thread) won't change a potential sponsor. If they were interested in using pool as a vehicle to attract potential customers, Earl isn't gonna scare them away. He generates "buzz", and advertisers/sponsors really like "buzz".

Again, I don't condone it. I just don't think it's such as much of a travesty as many others here do.