PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about buying a cue case ...

Big Arm
03-27-2011, 04:30 PM
I am thinking about buying a leather cue case but don't know which to purchase. I like the inside of JB cases, but like the look of the Murnak vintage series, particularly the two tone cases. I am thinking about a 3x5 so I can carry my cue, our break cue and my wife's cue. Those of you that have cases, let me know what you like about your case.

pwd72s
03-27-2011, 04:43 PM
I am thinking about buying a leather cue case but don't know which to purchase. I like the inside of JB cases, but like the look of the Murnak vintage series, particularly the two tone cases. I am thinking about a 3x5 so I can carry my cue, our break cue and my wife's cue. Those of you that have cases, let me know what you like about your case.

I have a 3X5 Justis, but thinking of moving down to a 2X4. Just think I'll be happier with a smaller case. It's not the weight of the larger case as much as it is the maneuverability. Just didn't realize how clumsy a larger case can be if you're moving from table to table, from spot to spot.

Contrary to the negative publicity generated by another case maker here, my cues stay just fine in the Justis "pro lite" interior. All you need to do is remember "joint protectors up"...

pwd72s
03-27-2011, 04:45 PM
Look no further than the JB case.. I've owned Justis, Swift, Instroke, GTF and more... Bought my first JB case and instantly ordered another the next day..

Isn't GTF made by JB????

Big Arm
03-27-2011, 04:51 PM
I have a 3X5 Justis, but thinking of moving down to a 2X4. Just think I'll be happier with a smaller case. It's not the weight of the larger case as it is the maneuverability. Just didn't realize how clumsy a larger case can be if you're moving from table to table, from spot to spot.

Contrary to the negative publicity generated by another case maker here, my cues stay just fine in the Justis "pro lite" interior. All you need to do is remember "joint protectors up"...

Thinking about selling it?

OverCutAnything
03-27-2011, 04:53 PM
I would recommend Erofey Evladin. He is in the Ukraine.
His cases are the best for the money. He will work with you to get what you want and it'll take about 2 months to get the case.
I have a few of his cases and several of my friends have have purchased one from him after seeing mine. They too are very happy with their selection.

His cases are very detailed, light and well built & cost a lot less than other cases.

Here is his site: http://www.arthit.ru/cue-cases/cue-cases.html

His e-mail is: artbag@inbox.ru

Big Arm
03-27-2011, 05:47 PM
I would recommend Erofey Evladin. He is in the Ukraine.
His cases are the best for the money. He will work with you to get what you want and it'll take about 2 months to get the case.
I have a few of his cases and several of my friends have have purchased one from him after seeing mine. They too are very happy with their selection.

His cases are very detailed, light and well built & cost a lot less than other cases.

Here is his site: http://www.arthit.ru/cue-cases/cue-cases.html

His e-mail is: artbag@inbox.ru

Those are very nice. I contacted him and asked prices.

CocoboloCowboy
03-27-2011, 05:51 PM
Isn't GTF made by JB????

The GTF Cases are in deed made by John for a distributor in the USA.

sengkun108
03-27-2011, 06:19 PM

It's easy Sir.. Just buy a Jim Murnak 2x4 case and send that case to John Barton and ask him for replace the inside. It will become a 3x5 cuecase. I know, because i ask him the same question for a couple of month ago. I'm sure he is very capable to do it.

But, you have to ask Jim Murnak about the life time guarantee because the replace issue.

Or, may i suggest you to check out JBcase website.. He is a very good cuecase maker and i'm sure you can find what you get from him..

Best
Dedy:)

TheBook
03-27-2011, 06:24 PM
I have a case made by Garth from On Q Case.

http://onqcases.com/

Nice quality case, hand made, and reasonable. He is a good friendly guy to work with. If you want to spend a little more I would spring for a Justis.

pulzcul
03-27-2011, 06:55 PM
Hey Mike, Are you an Ebayer? If your not in a hurry you can find almost anything on it. Also you might keep an eye out in pawn shops. You should have come over to Libby last week end. Don

benny-the-blade
03-27-2011, 08:59 PM
I have a case made by Garth from On Q Case.

http://onqcases.com/

Nice quality case, hand made, and reasonable. He is a good friendly guy to work with.

I agree 100%. You can't go wrong with a case from Garth Bair.

JB Cases
03-27-2011, 10:45 PM

www.indyq.com is having a sale on Murnak cases. If you are a little handy then I can instruct you over the phone or chat how to "upgrade" the interior to be better than they come.

My views on cue protection can be found here: www.jbcases.com/protection.html

My blog has a lot of ranting about certain claims made by a certain competitor if you care to read it www.jbcases.com/caseblog

Do not place an order with me. We are currently many months behind schedule and I have not even answered the emails I currently have.

I am sorry to say that and we are working hard to get more efficient. But right now we are very backed up.

I do not provide replacement interiors for Murnak cases at this time. I have a Murnak 3x6 and our 4x8 tube fits into it but I cannot say for certain that any of our other tubes would fit into any other of Murnak's cases.

I do provide replacement interiors for Jack Justis 2x4 cases because I have the exact tube that he uses at my disposal and so I can make the liners to fit just right. Those can be ordered at any time and I should go ahead and finish the web page on them to make it easier to order them. Be aware that replacing a Justis interior with ours voids the warranty Justis gives such as it is. (another topic to rant about).

EDIT: I wanted to add that the replacement interiors we do for Justis cases can be made as a 2x5/3x4 size as well for the same price. They can also be modified to have less padding and can actually be done as a 3x6 as well.

I am fond of the passage attributed to Burton Spain regarding full spliced cues vs. cues made with a bolt and tenon. He said that cue makers who use the bolt and tenon method certainly feel that they have solved the issue of buzzing in their cues but it's kind of like the family with a pet alligator. They might be confident that the alligator won't eat the family dog but the dog would be feel better if the alligator wasn't there at all. That's how I feel about cue cases. Maybe your cue hasn't been damaged in the case you own but that doesn't mean it's because the case is protective enough, it just means that it hasn't had to truly protect the cue yet.

All in my opinion of course.

pwd72s
03-28-2011, 12:09 AM
Thinking about selling it?

Nope...IF I decide to go smaller, I'll just use the Justis 3X5 for storage of cues. Being a cheapskate, I'll probably just keep things as they are.

But really, Jack Justis makes a beautiful case, and every ding my cues have I placed there when they were out of the case.