PDA

View Full Version : Is all CHALK THe Same??? A friend gave me Kamui CHALK, What Should I Expect??

Duane Remick
03-27-2011, 05:58 PM
Will it stay on the tip longer,
better ball control,
Any EXPERIENCE Is appreciated

stevekur1
03-27-2011, 06:00 PM
I am eager to try the Kamui Chalk, i never made it over to the booth at SBE to try it out !!

Cant wait to read the reviews !

-Steve

ctyhntr
03-27-2011, 06:19 PM
There is a lot of signal to noise, but you can check out this thread on Kamui chalk.

What are your expectations?

Blue Hog ridr
03-27-2011, 06:23 PM
A friend gave me Kamui CHALK, What Should I Expect??

I think for 25 bucks, you guys are now engaged.

Roadking
03-27-2011, 06:24 PM
Don't forget it on the table.

CocoboloCowboy
03-27-2011, 06:27 PM
If a Single Cue of Kamui CHALK for $25.00 would give me the ability of this GUY (http://www.billiardsforum.info/forum/uploaded/garyrobar/2008429211853_mosconi-headshot.jpg), I am in.

lukemindish
03-27-2011, 06:29 PM
Not all chalk is the same. Silver cup is garbage, Masters is ok. Blue Diamond is one of the best i have tried. I tried the Kamui. I loved the feel of it but i didnt really notice a huge difference that would make it worth it to buy at 25 dollars. Plus after using it for the second time i large chunk of the chalk completely broke off as i was brushing the chalk on my tip. Kamui has been helpful and they are sending me a new piece. I will post further when i get the kamui back.

poolhustler
03-28-2011, 08:58 AM
If you now have a piece, how about you use it for a week or two and then give us your review of it????

Scott Lee
03-28-2011, 09:13 AM

I don't know, but it doesn't seem likely. Most of us rechalk after every shot, as a habit.

better ball control,

No way! Better ball control comes from a more accurate stroke...it has nothing to do with the chalk (as long as it's decent chalk).

Haven't tried it yet, but look forward to running accross someone who has some...maybe in Vegas in May!

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Dave Nelson
03-28-2011, 09:13 AM
I doubt that I have ever had a mis-cue in my life that I could blame on the chalk.

Dave Nelson

lukemindish
03-28-2011, 09:42 AM
If you now have a piece, how about you use it for a week or two and then give us your review of it????

I dont have it, i sent it back because Kamui wanted to test the chalk to see why it broke down like it did. Also i did use the chalk for over a week and i did like it. But a week is not long enough to get a concrete idea of how i feel about it.

3andstop
03-28-2011, 10:01 AM
If one piece of chalk cost $25 then I couldn't give a rat's ass about any review of it.

Far more interesting would be the results of the mental exam of anyone who bought a cube of chalk for 25 bucks.

When I miscue I feel much better having done it while using a cube of chalk that cost me 14 cents, even if it wasn't the chalks fault.

On a different note, I do have for sale, this elixir that will afford you super vision and perfect mechanics. When used properly, with the correct amount of practice ( like 12hrs a day for .... oh, lets say 5 yrs) you will have the ability to run many hundreds of balls.

The elixir is a mixture of precise amounts of spring water, carrot juice, and bull$h!t. When taken prior to playing pool, and in conjunction with the use of $25 dollar a cube chalk, you're a lock to thinking you're better off. :rolleyes:

poolhustler
03-28-2011, 10:41 AM
I dont have it, i sent it back because Kamui wanted to test the chalk to see why it broke down like it did. Also i did use the chalk for over a week and i did like it. But a week is not long enough to get a concrete idea of how i feel about it.

Not trying to bash you, but I could use it for an evening and give a concrete evalutation on it.

bullshot
03-28-2011, 10:45 AM
Not all chalk is the same. Silver cup is garbage, Masters is ok. Blue Diamond is one of the best i have tried. I tried the Kamui. I loved the feel of it but i didnt really notice a huge difference that would make it worth it to buy at 25 dollars. Plus after using it for the second time i large chunk of the chalk completely broke off as i was brushing the chalk on my tip. Kamui has been helpful and they are sending me a new piece. I will post further when i get the kamui back.

That's kind of funny. Not the piece breaking off part but the fact that there is a return policy for a piece of chalk.

JoeyA
03-28-2011, 12:06 PM
I doubt that I have ever had a mis-cue in my life that I could blame on the chalk.

Dave Nelson

Dave,
You bring up a good point.

I can comfortably say that my miscues are mostly due to stroke errors/hitting the cueball in an a spot that causes the miscue.

Now, if chalk could reduce those miscues as well, then maybe it would be worth $25. Until I use it, I won't knock it. If I could pay $25 per tournament and be guaranteed that my errant strokes would not cause a miscue, the $25 would be well spent. :)

I try to use Blue diamond when I compete and regular Masters when I practice.

JoeyA

softshot
03-28-2011, 12:14 PM
Used to be.... you'd miscue and some wiseass would say "Chalks Free" ..

now you miscue and people know you're broke:sorry:

The Air Barrel detector of the new millennium

"miscue" uh oh .. he can't even afford $25 for chalk how is he gonna pay me???

mikeyfrost
03-28-2011, 12:14 PM
Don't leave your chalk or your girl around me now...it's 2011 and I still hate playas.

quadrary
03-28-2011, 12:49 PM
better ball control,

Expect him to say i love you or i ran over your dog at 25 bucks a cube

bboxgrinder
03-28-2011, 12:55 PM
For $25 a cube the druggies are gonna start infiltrating pool rooms by the masses to steel chalk.

To the OP: It isn't the chalk, the cue, the case, etc. It is no secret it is the player. Hit the balls right and you won't have to worry about a miscue.

lol @ Kamui Chalk for $25 a cube. I really feel bad for anyone who is sucker enough to actually pay this.

Stilly
03-28-2011, 07:28 PM
While at the SBE I stopped by the Kamui booth to check out the chalk. The chalk itself was white and light blue, had a marble look to it. There was an Asian girl hitting balls, using the chalk. What I am surprised I have not heard yet, was the fact that it left white residue all over the table.

It's just as bad as "that guy" we all know, that uses the tan chalk.

All the BCA and other tournaments that I play in only want you to use blue chalk cause they dont want the mess. So I cant see some of these tournaments allowing this over-priced crap.

catpool9
03-28-2011, 07:40 PM
better ball control,

Masters Green, smooth and slicky, 30 cents a cube, you pay anything over that YOUR GETTING FRACKED!, trust me!:thumbup:

David Harcrow

rayjay
03-28-2011, 09:53 PM
Just amazing to think anybody can now buy a stroke for $25 and never miscue again.
:):p:D:thumbup:

MidLifeCrisis
03-28-2011, 10:05 PM
better ball control,

Copied and pasted from the other Kamui thread...Just MHO...

Here's a little bit on my first experience with the new Kamui chalk...
Is it different than Masters and Blue Diamond chalk? Yes, absolutely...

Just for the record...I'm no pro, but stroke pretty well...average about 20hrs a week on the felt and really try hard to improve my game every time at the table....win or lose...I always walk away having learned something...

Last night was my first time trying this new product from Kamui...I spent about 5hrs in a three man rotation of 9 and 8ball thru out the night.

The first thing you will notice when you swipe the chalk with your fingers and then rub them together is the texture...it's almost like a moist talk that doesn't clot up, or has a clay feel to it...it's not dry feeling at all...but is somewhat tacky in nature...

While applying the chalk, the first thing that popped into my mind was how smooth it felt while being applied to the tip...there's no grit feel, and it almost looks like a paste of sorts...it's pretty unusual!!!

I applied it to my Gilbert j/b cue with the Samsara phenolic tip(hard as can be)...and went down for the break. With a nice solid stroke, contact was no problem at all. The cue ball did exactly as expected, hopped up a bit a fell back down where it should. What impressed me immediately was how well this chalk stuck to my phenolic tip...I most often miscue while breaking, just something I'm willing to admit to you all and was simply amazed that it never happened last night...period. Those of you that use a phenolic tip know how difficult it is to keep chalk on the tip, and if you're off center how often you will miscue. It was impressive... Again, everyone knows stroke is going to be a major factor, but as for using it with a phenolic tip...It works fantasticly....and being able to control the cue ball on the break is a vital skill that I believe, enhanced my break and gave me far better control than Masters or Blue diamond could... The break cue was "chalked" 3 times during the 5 or so hours played. Try doing that with a different brand chalk and phenolic tip...

Now on to regular shooting... The grip on this chalk is far superior to anything else out there. Throw and draw shots were a cinch. You almost have to adjust your speed due to the grip on the cue ball. I was really amazed at the confidence I was getting with the cue ball control. It took a little getting used to for me, but once I was able to see what was possible...I was impressed at my ability to spin and control the shots.

So, Love it or hate it... This chalk is DIFFERENT. I'm excited for Kamui. This is the RIGHT direction for chalk. It isn't cheap no...but this is the early stages of development. I have a feeling once things settle down with Kamui and they really start manufacturing this new product on a normal scale...The prices will eventually start to come down. Don't know that for a fact, but it would make more sense if it did LOL...

Is it worth $25?...Funny, most of you that are dissing it...don't even have or tried it...well that kind of speaks for itself...
I'll let you be the judge

Pro's... Tackiness, grips like a raped ape...Use very little of it over a session...
Con's...Price...Can leave a blue dot smear on the cue ball after a break, and will need to be wiped off...Probably due to an excess application when first applied...

That's it for my review...and for those of you that are able to try it... Go for it, I do believe you will be pleasantly surprised
Clint