PDA

View Full Version : what is the current pool playing capital of the US?

smashmouth
03-28-2011, 04:06 AM
or is there even such a thing anymore?

paksat
03-28-2011, 05:33 AM
Never been there but I would have to assume it'd be that mall of a pool room in the dakotas called fargo billiards.

jay helfert
03-28-2011, 05:36 AM
Manila........oops, I mean Vegas!

JAM
03-28-2011, 05:37 AM
Used to be Detroit.

12310bch
03-28-2011, 08:30 AM
Lizard Acres.

SpiderWebComm
03-28-2011, 08:33 AM
I'd have to guess Phoenix. There were something like 2 or 3 events every night of the week when I lived there 13 years ago.

Dave

Scott Lee
03-28-2011, 08:46 AM
paksat...While Fargo Billiards is America's finest example of a first class pool room, I don't think you can equate Fargo, ND with the center of anything...although it's only a couple hundred miles from the geographic center of North America (which is in ND). :grin:

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Never been there but I would have to assume it'd be that mall of a pool room in the dakotas called fargo billiards.

Johnnyt
03-28-2011, 08:46 AM
Seems like Texas is the up and coming state for tournaments. It use to be known for the bar box, but now it seems rooms and bars are putting in 9' tables. Johnnyt

CocoboloCowboy
03-28-2011, 08:49 AM
Manila........oops, I mean Vegas!

Manila would be right if still part of the USA.

bfdlad
03-28-2011, 08:54 AM
I know this is not the exact answer you were looking for but the Mid West is just a hot bed of pool fans and players.

sfleinen
03-28-2011, 08:58 AM
I know this is not the exact answer you were looking for but the Mid West is just a hot bed of pool fans and players.

...on barboxes ("barbox country"). But hey, they are indeed supporting pool and keeping it alive!

The Schwartz
03-28-2011, 08:59 AM
There's a lot of pool in Atlanta

mikepage
03-28-2011, 09:24 AM

Thanks. This would be a good time for folks to plan a summer road trip

http://www.fargobilliards.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/summershootout2011.pdf

Cleveland D
03-28-2011, 09:30 AM
Its NOT Cleve ohio thats for sure!

lukemindish
03-28-2011, 09:38 AM
Seems to me that there is a lot going on in Texas. Its definitely not Western PA.

Blackjack
03-28-2011, 09:45 AM
If you want top play the best competition, Florida - and the Southeast is probably the place that you will find the strongest tournaments with the most world class players. FWIW, At a Seminole Pro Tour event, Southeast Open event, Great Southern Billiard tour event, or at a Poison Tour event - it is not uncommon to see two former US Open champions playing each other in the second round.

Also, if you wanted to, it's not impossible to play in an event every weekend - there are enough tours to keep you playing as much as you'd like. There are also amateur tours and tournaments (KBP, BAAT, Poison), some of the tours have amateur divisions, and Tommy Kennedy pays the top senior, top amateur, and top lady in every event. I figure that if you're seriously considering playing the best players in the world, Florida would probably be the best place to start.

snipershot
03-28-2011, 03:35 PM
...on barboxes ("barbox country"). But hey, they are indeed supporting pool and keeping it alive!

Here in indiana we have a several pool rooms with 9 footers. And up in Beloit, Wisconson at the Carom Room, it seems like there is never a dull moment. There is always a tourney, or some big match goin. They have 6 (I think) 9 footers also. So, id have to agree that the midwest is a hotbed. Its just a widespread hotbed, lol.

Joe

pulldapin
03-28-2011, 03:46 PM
Florida without a doubt.

Card Slinger
03-29-2011, 12:42 AM
I'd put in a vote for Fargo. There is, of course, Fargo Billiards and there is another nice room downtown called Billiards on Broadway with a cool atmosphere and good tables that has been around for a long time. Throw in a boatload of VNEA league teams and busy tables in every bar in town, I'd bet the Fargo area has more pool players per capita than almost any other place in the country. It doesn't hurt that there is snow on the ground 6 months of the year and indoor social activities are highly valued. Living in this area there are always great tournaments and quality tables available.

Trent
03-29-2011, 03:02 AM
columbus, dayton, cinci, ohio is right up there maybe not as many pool players per capita as other places but the majority can flat out play. dont believe me? go to airways, michaels, or sportsmans and find out.

Jimmy M.
03-29-2011, 03:26 AM
I can answer that question with a question ...

"What's the opposite of Phoenix, Arizona?"

Hah! j/k.

12310bch
03-29-2011, 03:40 AM
Arizona, Phoenix in particular has to be right up there. This does not even include the monthly tourneys, The Desert Classic Tour, or league play. Notice all the open tourneys. Just about all the tourneys have side pots so entry fees are kept reasonable.

Bambu
03-29-2011, 05:08 AM
I'm surprised nobody said the NYC tristate area, so I will. You have some pretty big tours here, like Predator, Mezz, Tristate and Joss. Lots of local weekday tourneys too, and plenty of pros around. You could play in a tournament everyday if you wanted to. In house tournaments at Amsterdam alone could keep you busy all week.

ignomirello
04-07-2011, 12:06 PM
I'm surprised nobody said the NYC tristate area, so I will. You have some pretty big tours here, like Predator, Mezz, Tristate and Joss. Lots of local weekday tourneys too, and plenty of pros around. You could play in a tournament everyday if you wanted to. In house tournaments at Amsterdam alone could keep you busy all week.

I Agree :-)

Black-Balled
04-07-2011, 12:34 PM
I can answer that question with a question ...
"What's the opposite of Phoenix, Arizona?"
Hah! j/k.

Arizona, Phoenix in particular has to be right up there. This does not even include the monthly tourneys, The Desert Classic Tour, or league play. Notice all the open tourneys. Just about all the tourneys have side pots so entry fees are kept reasonable.

Is that your final answer?
Or: left hand, meet right hand.

uwate
04-07-2011, 12:52 PM
holy smokes at that Phoenix tournament list.

im very envious...damn south florida is really terrible for tournaments right now. very few being held, especially in Miami.

I know Blackjack was referring to Florida as the place where so many good players live, and its true the state is loaded with talent...but it seems like most travel outside of Florida to get into tournaments and action.

Mr441
04-07-2011, 12:57 PM
I'm not sure I understand the OP's question. Do you mean where do the most people play pool? Or where are the best players? If it's the latter than a good case can be made for NYC. I don't know if it's changed much but up until a few years ago there were a slew of really good players there, a few pro's: Robles, Ginky (deceased), Mika, Frankie Hernandez, and Hohmann was there a lot. Then there were a LOT of shortstop level players and players close to that level: Flaco, Barouty, Lipsky, Jonathan Smith - all with high 14.1 runs over 200 I believe. There are also a lot of really good players in the NYC area that never leave the area and very few people even know about them, Richard Peck comes to mind, he plays about as good as anybody.
Not to mention a load of players a level or so below shortstop. A good player could come to town and play in a weekly handicapped tournament in Queens and never have an easy match; He'd start of against a B+ player, if he wins that, he might play a semi-pro, if he's lucky enough to win that he might have to spot the 7 ball to an A player....some brutal tournaments there.

Lock N Load
04-07-2011, 05:06 PM
Come on over to my place! Home of Champions. Buffalo's Billiards, Metairie, Louisiana/New Orleans, Louisiana. Diamond 9 foot tables remodeled this year and several new Diamond tables added. The Big players always come over to Buffalo's Billiards. when they are in New Orleans. Home pool Hall for, JoeyA, Eddie Brown, Lock N Load, Sam, Lectric Mike, Wardell, Buffalo, Race track Al, Duck Soup, Keith Shelling, West bank Steve, baby Joe, Lil Man, mike Cummings, and a host of other players! Scotty Townsend loves the place!
Regards,
Lock N Load.

opcoog
04-07-2011, 05:51 PM
buffalo billiards has some good action.Any one pocket players in there? Or just 9-ball bangers?

Woof Biscuit
04-07-2011, 05:58 PM

im very envious...damn south florida is really terrible for tournaments right now. very few being held, especially in Miami.

I know Blackjack was referring to Florida as the place where so many good players live, and its true the state is loaded with talent...but it seems like most travel outside of Florida to get into tournaments and action.

Very true. We have some world beaters down here that most have not heard of. Our ACS league on Thursday nights used to have 2 touring pros, one cue maker that plays lights out (DS), and a host of other shortstops that can easily lay down 3 and 4 packs at any given moment. That's just the greater west palm beach area. It's quite the crucible and it will certainly make you better. Then you have all the other champs around the state. We certainly have the players.

Gsitz89
04-07-2011, 10:59 PM
Seems to me that there is a lot going on in Texas. Its definitely not Western PA.

Depends on where your at in Texas not College Station;) but yes Houston, Dallas, Waco, League City, Brehnam all have great action

Gsitz89
04-07-2011, 11:00 PM

Damn I need to take myself to Phoenix!

Ģśţāṿ
04-08-2011, 12:48 AM
I have to agree, Florida is the place to be. (unintentional rhyme)

paksat
04-08-2011, 05:20 AM
Very true. We have some world beaters down here that most have not heard of. Our ACS league on Thursday nights used to have 2 touring pros, one cue maker that plays lights out (DS), and a host of other shortstops that can easily lay down 3 and 4 packs at any given moment. That's just the greater west palm beach area. It's quite the crucible and it will certainly make you better. Then you have all the other champs around the state. We certainly have the players.

I think florida has almost 2000 APA teams also lol

Woof Biscuit
04-08-2011, 06:47 AM
When I was a kid New Orleans was the mecca of pool action in the US with all the top players hanging around here. Now the top players in the city might bet $20 a game or play a $200 set if they can staked. Pool really is a joke in this town. Wish they had some good action close by but unfortunately they don't.

I grew up in that area. In the 90's NO and Baton Rouge (Lambert's) were hot spots for sure. I spent a whole lot of time there. Some of the biggest money matches that I have ever seen happened there and then.

hippiepool2
04-10-2011, 03:06 PM

Especially on the beach .........no tournaments ...no action .....

TX Poolnut
04-10-2011, 03:08 PM
My capital of pool is my home.

Long live the King!

ctyhntr
04-10-2011, 04:10 PM
Amsterdam Billiards has house leagues scheduled for nearly every night of the week, not tournaments. Their Team 9-Ball league is very strong. On league night, it wasn't uncommon to find out that you're match up with Tony Robles, Mika, Ginky (RIP), Zion Zvi, Jennifer Barretta, Steve Lipsky, Danny Barouty, or Bobby Blackmore.

As for tournaments, I know Soho has 9-ball on Tuesdays and Paradise has 10-ball on Fridays.

ctyhntr
04-10-2011, 04:14 PM
What is the average size for these tournaments?

TX Poolnut
04-10-2011, 04:21 PM
I think I'll guess Arizona in the US. Maybe The PI internationally.

mikepage
04-10-2011, 04:44 PM

I think the relevant question is how many people play

(1) weekly tournaments
(2) league

per 100,000 metro-area population

ctyhntr
04-10-2011, 05:03 PM
Gotcha, I agree. To visualize this, let's say 1,000 people play weekly in NYC (8 million) and 500 people play weekly in Phoenix (2 million). Then Phoenix (25K per 100K) has twice the density of New York (12.5 per 100K).

I think the relevant question is how many people play

(1) weekly tournaments
(2) league

per 100,000 metro-area population

1on1pooltournys
04-10-2011, 05:25 PM
Here in indiana we have a several pool rooms with 9 footers. And up in Beloit, Wisconson at the Carom Room, it seems like there is never a dull moment. There is always a tourney, or some big match goin. They have 6 (I think) 9 footers also. So, id have to agree that the midwest is a hotbed. Its just a widespread hotbed, lol.

Joe

Indiana is probably the worst state for pool I've ever been in. :(

MIC FLY AZ
04-10-2011, 07:49 PM
Phoenix is the best place to play, if you are not a pro player. tons and tons of tournaments for A and down players, almost to many......

Jimmy is one of the best players in AZ . So he can not play in most of the handicap tourneys. So he hates it here for pool.

12310bch
04-13-2011, 06:01 PM

Hard to say what the average is. Scotch -doubles monthly tourneys seem to pay the biggest. Last one I entered paid $860.00 first. and about $400.00 2nd..That was a 12 and under, 24 teams. I never got less than $140.00 for win in a weekly tourney. Don't forget, I'm only an' AZ 5 'so we lower end players get a good chance for nice bite of cheese too. The higher you go probably the bigger the payoff.

ctyhntr
04-14-2011, 07:12 AM
So, are Scotch doubles more popular? How do they handicap it? Add up two players handicap and average it out, or leave it as total?

Hard to say what the average is. Scotch -doubles monthly tourneys seem to pay the biggest. Last one I entered paid $860.00 first. and about $400.00 2nd..That was a 12 and under, 24 teams. I never got less than $140.00 for win in a weekly tourney. Don't forget, I'm only an' AZ 5 'so we lower end players get a good chance for nice bite of cheese too. The higher you go probably the bigger the payoff.

12310bch
04-15-2011, 12:24 PM
combined handicap minus some number. Kitty's is max combined 15 minus
6. Makes for some interesting pairings. Their fun but long and you always
have someone else to blame for losing. Calcuttas are illegal in Az but
sidepots can add up to significant $

Matt90
04-15-2011, 12:50 PM
If you want top play the best competition, Florida - and the Southeast is probably the place that you will find the strongest tournaments with the most world class players. FWIW, At a Seminole Pro Tour event, Southeast Open event, Great Southern Billiard tour event, or at a Poison Tour event - it is not uncommon to see two former US Open champions playing each other in the second round.

Also, if you wanted to, it's not impossible to play in an event every weekend - there are enough tours to keep you playing as much as you'd like. There are also amateur tours and tournaments (KBP, BAAT, Poison), some of the tours have amateur divisions, and Tommy Kennedy pays the top senior, top amateur, and top lady in every event. I figure that if you're seriously considering playing the best players in the world, Florida would probably be the best place to start.
I agree, you don't get many easy games there for sure

beamracing
04-19-2011, 10:32 PM
its definitely not in north carolina