PDA

View Full Version : Predator Shaft Change

peteypooldude
03-28-2011, 12:45 PM
After playing with my predator cue for about 7 yrs
I am thinking about changing the LD shaft to a regular shaft. Anyone else done this?

joelpope
03-28-2011, 12:54 PM
After playing with my predator cue for about 7 yrs
I am thinking about changing the LD shaft to a regular shaft. Anyone else done this?
yes, I did the exact same thing about 3 years ago... haven't touched a Predator or any other "manufactured" shaft since

I enjoy the over all play (hit & sound) of a quality cue maker's shaft

quadrary
03-28-2011, 12:55 PM
no but i went the other way and from a high deflection shaft to a ld and i hit everything with english to full for about a month

peteypooldude
03-28-2011, 01:02 PM
I find it harder to bounce the CB or Masse it with the LD shaft

peteypooldude
03-28-2011, 01:33 PM
yes, I did the exact same thing about 3 years ago... haven't touched a Predator or any other "manufactured" shaft since

Who made your shaft? The only cue maker I had access to died not long ago

thefonz
03-28-2011, 05:39 PM
played with pred for over 12 years, and started changing back a year ago. since then i've flip flopped between pred and regular shafts. i've found that you have to stroke the ball much better with a normal shaft, and i had gotten rather sloppy at that over time. the best cue in regard to playablility of a predator i've found is a lambros, i found i could move the cueball just as well as with a predator, but with better control. there was little if not no adjustment needed at all.:thumbup:

if you do decide to change, i would suggest a lambros, or something with a shorter ferrule. my lambros had a shorter ferrule than most cues, that probably made a difference.

Pushout
03-28-2011, 05:49 PM
Be prepared to struggle a bit after making the change, just as you may have had to struggle when you switched to ld. I've heard this from many people who have played with ld shafts and went back to standard. I think you won't be sorry for making the switch, though.

Foolio
03-28-2011, 06:53 PM
I haven't played with a predator shaft, but I have with an Ob-2. I played with that for about a little more than a year before buying my first custom cue. I got used to the deflection again pretty quickly and am very happy with my cuemaker's shaft. There are some things that I couldn't do with the Ob-2 that I can now to with the cuemaker's shaft.

scsuxci
03-28-2011, 07:38 PM
Have had my greatest success with a Predator shaft.For me going back to regular maple is like taking a step backwards and making things more difficult.I've tryed to shoot with a regular shaft but its just pointless.What your confident with stick with .:)

RADAR
03-29-2011, 04:24 PM
PREDATORS ALL THE WAY, SWITCHED TO CUSTOMS THEN BACK TO PREDATORS! THEY ARE THE VERY BEST PERFORMANCE CUES OUT THERE, PERHAPS NOT THE BEST FEEL AND HIT BUT WHO ELSE CAN BUILD A SHAFT THAT PLAYS WITH NO ADJUSTMENT FOR INSIDE ENGLISH & ESPECIALLY GREAT FOR CUT SHOTS. ANOTHER NOTE SPONSORS OR NOT THEY WHEN ALLOT OF TOURNAMENTS. WILL SAY THIS I LIKE THE OLDER SERIES WITH THE 3/4" FERRULE. :wink:

peteypooldude
03-31-2011, 11:08 AM
I need a cue maker to make the non laminated uni loc I guess.
Not many options out there. Maybe Gulassy

poolplayer2093
03-31-2011, 11:29 AM
i did it after using a predator for 3 years. it's a tough transition but i think i learned a lot more after i made the change
. it's going to throw your game way the f*ck off for a while though. maybe 6 months

edd
03-31-2011, 11:31 AM

Amen! Made the switch almost two months ago and am glad I did. I'd recommend a Josey or an Olney. Both great cues with a stiff hit. Had very little adjustment to make.