PDA

View Full Version : So i got a letter in the mail to play in US amateur championships....

daimion
03-28-2011, 10:49 PM
Yup got my mail after work and there was a parchment paper like envelope that grabbed me due to the texture. i open it up and its an invite to play in the us amateur championship. with the typical non sense in it. i figure ill give it a go. but i have been fairly inactive in playing due to a personal business and degrading health. with that being said i would really love to give it a good run before anything drastic happens but want to really give it all i got. could anyone help by telling me some of the better instructional videos on 9ball on 4.5x9 tables? covering all facets? break position speed drills etc. thanks for all your help azb!!!

quadrary
03-29-2011, 12:17 AM
Its a good tournament i play it every year

quadrary
03-29-2011, 12:21 AM
By the way that is a dual format tournament.Whoever wins the lag picks the first format 8 or 9 ball. Race to sevenin elimination rounds max of 5 8ball.

sk8ordie
03-29-2011, 12:24 AM
Yep, got one also. My friends go every year, get their butts kicked and then go back every year. They have a great time.

TheBook
03-29-2011, 09:07 AM
Yup got my mail after work and there was a parchment paper like envelope that grabbed me due to the texture. i open it up and its an invite to play in the us amateur championship. with the typical non sense in it. i figure ill give it a go. but i have been fairly inactive in playing due to a personal business and degrading health. with that being said i would really love to give it a good run before anything drastic happens but want to really give it all i got. could anyone help by telling me some of the better instructional videos on 9ball on 4.5x9 tables? covering all facets? break position speed drills etc. thanks for all your help azb!!!

You must be special. My application came in an over size shiny envelope and printed on the same type of paper. The type of paper that magazines are made of and can't be recycled because of the clay that is mixed in the paper. It is the lowest grade of paper that has been recycled many times and is beyond further use. The clay is what makes the paper shiny and also makes it hard to write on. If it didn't have the big words "US Amateur Championship" on it I would have tossed it as it looked like junk mail.

Any instructional tape will help but you also need to enter tournaments and get use to playing against players that are not like the casual recreation players that are in the APA Leagues.

cycopath
03-29-2011, 09:28 AM
So, if you are invited the you don't have to win a qualifier? Are is this invitation to a qualifier?

JolietJames
03-29-2011, 10:00 AM
I got one too and I believe it's an invitation to play in a qualifier. I read through it and didn't see anything about airfare. It stated that hotel accomodations would be paid to the winner of the qualifier but nothing about the travel. Does anyone know if it's included when you win the qualifier? Any money from the qualifier? Anything besides the worthless trophy for first place? Yeah, the trophy looks cool and all but I kinda like money better. Just wondering and thanks for any answers anyone can provide.

Scott Lee
03-29-2011, 10:06 AM
JolietJames...You should throw the paper away. This tournament is not for you. It is for the players who DO value the "worthless" trophy...and the ones who just enjoy a higher level of competition. APA has never been "about the money"...and the US Amateur isn't either.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

I got one too and I believe it's an invitation to play in a qualifier. I read through it and didn't see anything about airfare. It stated that hotel accomodations would be paid to the winner of the qualifier but nothing about the travel. Does anyone know if it's included when you win the qualifier? Any money from the qualifier? Anything besides the worthless trophy for first place? Yeah, the trophy looks cool and all but I kinda like money better. Just wondering and thanks for any answers anyone can provide.

TheBook
03-29-2011, 10:08 AM
So, if you are invited the you don't have to win a qualifier? Are is this invitation to a qualifier?

Basically it is an application (invitation?) for a qualifier.

The problem is APA is usually based on BB and this tournament is on 9 ft tables. Jumping is allowed. The competition is very good. If you are not capable of doing a B&R in 8 or 9 ball on a 9 ft table or being able to run out on an open table your chances of advancing are zero.

No matter how good you are it is a good weekend to be with and meet other players. There is a lot that can be learned and the experience is great. Most players usually return. It is not easy to become a qualifier and being able to go to Tampa to play with the nations best amateurs is "priceless." One person at our qualifier made an offer to one of my buddies. They were playing in the hot seat and he said that he couldn't to go to Tampa. He said if he won he would let my buddy claim to be the winner with the condition that he still got the trophy. Players try for years to earn that chance.

MOJOE
03-29-2011, 10:12 AM
Scott nailed it.. It's all about the spirit of competition. I've played in the qualifier one time and had a great time.. Was one game away from qualifying for the big tourney but the dog in me showed up..

Regardless, it was a great time and I'd do it again if time allowed!

JolietJames
03-29-2011, 10:21 AM
Heck the fact that it's played on 9 footers is the thing that got me interested. Sorry Scott, I should have written "valueless trophy" and I almost did. Not sure how much I could get for something like that on ebay. I'm sure it is worth something, like I said it does look cool. I just happen to value my time and especially my weekends so I like compensation for that time. You're right about the apa -it isn't for me. The problem is our last pool hall is closing June 1st and I may be stuck playing leagues if I want to see my pool friends after that. I am buying one of the GCs from the hall though so I can at least play real pool at home. It's not easy getting people to play for money on your home table though. Not that I want most of them to know where I live in the first place ha!
So can anyone answer my questions about the tourney without judging me and my lack of trophylovingness?

Eric.
03-29-2011, 10:22 AM
Basically it is an application (invitation?) for a qualifier.

The problem is APA is usually based on BB and this tournament is on 9 ft tables. Jumping is allowed. The competition is very good. If you are not capable of doing a B&R in 8 or 9 ball on a 9 ft table or being able to run out on an open table your chances of advancing are zero.

No matter how good you are it is a good weekend to be with and meet other players. There is a lot that can be learned and the experience is great. Most players usually return.

This is right on.

The flyer the OP got was nothing more than an open entry form. Anyone can sign up for a qualifier. Basically, you sign up for a Q, to be played in September. Depending on the size of the field, there will be so many slots awarded i.e. 80 players would get around 6 slots. The 6 people that win qualifiers advance to the "championship round", in November, in Tampa (this year).

The qualifiers aren't easy. I would say that if you don't play at least "B" speed or can average 1-2 break and runs on a 9 ft table, in a race to 7, you're not gonna qualify. it is also a combination of 8 ball and 9 ball, so you should be well versed in both games.

At the championship level, if you don't play "high A to low Open speed", you have little chance of going deep. The last 2 years, both winners were Open speed or "shortstop" level, meaning they can cash at a "pro level event", i.e. Seminole Tour.

Eric

JolietJames
03-29-2011, 10:25 AM
Thanks for the info Eric.

Eric.
03-29-2011, 10:26 AM
Heck the fact that it's played on 9 footers is the thing that got me interested. Sorry Scott, I should have written "valueless trophy" and I almost did. Not sure how much I could get for something like that on ebay. I'm sure it is worth something, like I said it does look cool. I just happen to value my time and especially my weekends so I like compensation for that time. You're right about the apa -it isn't for me. The problem is our last pool hall is closing June 1st and I may be stuck playing leagues if I want to see my pool friends after that. I am buying one of the GCs from the hall though so I can at least play real pool at home. It's not easy getting people to play for money on your home table though. Not that I want most of them to know where I live in the first place ha!
So can anyone answer my questions about the tourney without judging me and my lack of trophylovingness?

You only get paid hotel. The airfare is on you (food, booze and hookers are on your dime too).

Trust me, the qualifiers are not full of APA bangers, don't look down your nose on it. I have no idea how you play, but if you are not the #1 or #2 player in your local league, you prolly wouldn't be able to win a qualifier, let alone worry about fading expenses to Tampa.

Give it a shot and let me know how you make out.

Eric

Scott Lee
03-29-2011, 10:32 AM
JolietJames...Hey I wasn't judging you. You did that to yourself, saying that it (pool) is all about the $$$...to you! I just clued you in that this tournament (like everything run by the APA) is NOT about the money. If you decide to play, I wish you luck. Like Eric said, it's not an easy tournament to win...let alone qualify for.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

JolietJames
03-29-2011, 10:45 AM
Thanks guys. I'm not the best in the area and probably won't be with Mike Bandy and Jeff Sergeant in town. We have at least four apa national champs in our area so maybe I'll give it a shot. At least I get to play guys like that for only $50. BTW I have plans to embarrass myself this weekend as I challenge Jeff for the AZB illinois crown. At least it will let me know where I stand. He torched my buddy a couple months ago and Jeff actually likes him so he'll be playing for blood against me lol.
I just remembered my sister lives in FL so if I happen to qualify I get to visit my family. There's some incentive and it's not even money! Now I can be judged as a guy who loves money and his family. That's got to be an upgrade of sorts.

Eric.
03-29-2011, 10:47 AM
Thanks guys. I'm not the best in the area and probably won't be with Mike Bandy and Jeff Sergeant in town. We have at least four apa national champs in our area so maybe I'll give it a shot. At least I get to play guys like that for only $50. BTW I have plans to embarrass myself this weekend as I challenge Jeff for the AZB illinois crown. At least it will let me know where I stand. He torched my buddy a couple months ago and Jeff actually likes him so he'll be playing for blood against me lol.
I just remembered my sister lives in FL so if I happen to qualify I get to visit my family. There's some incentive and it's not even money! Now I can be judged as a guy who loves money and his family. That's got to be an upgrade of sorts.

I hope you do try it, you sound like a pool junkie, like the rest of us.

Tell Sarge I said hello too.

Eric

LeagueGuy
03-29-2011, 11:01 AM

If my memory serves me correctly, the regional winner recieve accomodations and the National Champion recieves entry into the US open as well. There is no cash. However, for the last 2 players from the qualifier that i played in, the pool hall offered up some "sponorship money" to help offset the cost of airfare.

But there is not any money, even at the National level.

Leagueguy

JolietJames
03-29-2011, 11:08 AM
Thanks Leagueguy. Cool room owner you have there!

jamesroberts
03-29-2011, 11:57 AM
Im not trying to start anything, but where does all the money go?
Correct me if Im wrong but its $40 to get into a qualifier, and if you qualify that gets you into a the "Main" event, where the winner of it all gets a trophy and a $500 entry into the us open

Eric.
03-29-2011, 12:02 PM
Im not trying to start anything, but where does all the money go?
Correct me if Im wrong but its $40 to get into a qualifier, and if you qualify that gets you into a the "Main" event, where the winner of it all gets a trophy and a $500 entry into the us open

You also pay an additional $60 if you win the qualifier.

James, I didnt do the math, but I'd imagine that a good portion goes to the paid hotel room you get for winning a Q. Guys get 3 nights hotel, girls 2. Then, there is the host venue that prolly gets paid.

Eric

jamesroberts
03-29-2011, 12:04 PM
You pay an additional $60 if you win the qualifier.

James, I didnt do the math, but I'd imagine that a good portion goes to the paid hotel room you get for winning a Q. Guys get 3 nights hotel, girls 2. Then, there is the host venue that prolly gets paid.

Eric

I think the qualifier in tampa get around a 100 players, hotels are hooked up at a discounted rate I believe

Eric.
03-29-2011, 12:15 PM
I think the qualifier in tampa get around a 100 players, hotels are hooked up at a discounted rate I believe

OK, lets math it out.

Some locations get 100 players, some get 50. We got about 70 in NJ. Lets say the average is 75 players, with 14 qualifying locations. Each player pays $40. That is $42000. Next, the 128 guys pay an additional $60 for the Championship round. Thats an additional $7700, or $50000 total. now, they put us up at a nice condo-turned-into-rental spot. LEts say they pay $90 a night per room. That is $34500 in rooms. Next, lets say they pay $3000 to rent the poolhall for 3 days. Then, you gotta pay for the winners entry to the US Open ($500). Then, you gotta pay for the tourney refs $?. Then you have other expenses, such as promotional materials (each participant gets a shirt, goofy glass plaque and pins), plus tourney staff.

At the end of the day, I would guess the APA takes somewhere between 10-20% for running this.

Eric

The Chipsta
03-29-2011, 12:21 PM
Room is paid for 3 nights. No travel $$. You get a polo shirt when you check in at Shooters in Tampa.

If you have to ask "what's in it for me?" or "where does all the money go?", then don't bother filling out the form.

JolietJames
03-29-2011, 12:24 PM
The tourney in Tampa is played in a pool hall? That's cool, I figured it would be in a hotel ball room or something. Is it close to the hotel accomodations or do the players need to rent cars while they're down there? I didn't know about the US Open entry either. They keep raising the stakes. It would be quite a thrill to play in that. I'm 90% sure I'll forget to register for a qualifier but it now seems more worth the effort. Are the qualifiers played on real tables or bar boxes?

donuteric
03-29-2011, 12:27 PM
The tourney in Tampa is played in a pool hall? That's cool, I figured it would be in a hotel ball room or something. Is it close to the hotel accomodations or do the players need to rent cars while they're down there? I didn't know about the US Open entry either. They keep raising the stakes. It would be quite a thrill to play in that. I'm 90% sure I'll forget to register for a qualifier but it now seems more worth the effort. Are the qualifiers played on real tables or bar boxes?

I believe all are played on 4.5x9ft table, though I'm not entirely sure the exact specs on the tables used.

LeagueGuy
03-29-2011, 12:32 PM
Are the qualifiers played on real tables or bar boxes?

I was told that in order to host a US Amateur qualifer, a location had to have 4.5 X 9 tables. US Am were not allowed to play on bar box. Not sure if it is true though.

Eric.
03-29-2011, 12:34 PM

This year, like last, is gonna be in Tampa, played in Stroker's; a huge pool hall, with 9ft Robertson Tables, full bar and kitchen. Nice room.

The hotel is a couple of miles up the road. The APA provides a free shuttle back and forth, on all days. The winner gets a paid entry int othe US Open.

I think all of the qualifiers are played on 9 ft tables. If anything, they are all in pool halls.

You can register right now, here: http://www.usamateurchampionship.com/2011USAMBrochure.pdf
I think you have to have your entry in before June, sometime.

Eric

Derek
03-29-2011, 12:52 PM
The tournament is on regulation "real" sized tables, as are the qualifiers.

The last year I entered, I qualified for Atlanta as the host location moves around every few years. Mr. Cue's in Atlanta? Can't quite recall the name of the pool hall, but I know Archer stopped by one day to check out the proceedings.

As much as I like some extra money in my pocket, this is my kind of tournament as I am all about the spirit of competition. I get flustered by the players who don't understand that concept, although I totally understand any frustration in airfare not being paid and having to use your own coin. I think the APA could still make it lucrative enough to pay $250 to qualifiers for their airfare.

Out of anything that the APA does, this is the best for higher-skilled players. I love this format and it's what the APA Masters leagues are based on. You don't even need to have an APA membership to enter.

JolietJames, you have some hot shots in your area but don't sell yourself short. Depending on the number of people who enter, there are usually multiple qualifiers from each regional tournament. Up in Illinois, I would think there would be an easy 6-8 spots for players who qualify to go to Tampa. The number of spots also depends on who signs up and pays before the deadline. Trying to show up on tournament day will not increase the number of qualifiers and the tourney director may not even let you play.

I had a buddy qualify for Tampa and it sounded like a nice pool hall, but the drawback was smoking was still allowed. Atlanta was that way also, but the high ceilings helped with filtration.

I think the only players that have a guaranteed spot back to Tampa are the winners from the previous year.

As for the US Open prize, I thought the airfare was paid for as part of the prize package. Maybe not.

JolietJames
03-29-2011, 01:44 PM
Thanks for all the info Derek. Honestly, if I will be in IL at the time and can remember to sign up, I think I'll have a go at it. We had a guy from Joliet get 7th out there last year I believe. I heard he played very well out there and made a great showing for himself. I've been out of the game for a few years so I have no idea where my game is for something like this. I'll have to head up to Chicago to play in some of those tourneys for a true 9 footer test. The good/bad news is I have a herniated disk in my back so I cna't do my usual summer things this year so I'll be playing alot more pool than usual. I should be back to form by that time. Thanks for all the info guys!

Oh, and sorry for the thread hijacking, it was not my intent.

fat Albert
03-29-2011, 07:19 PM
I say it is a very great weekend to play and meet other good players. I have been fortunate to qualify two times and the time in Atlanta was very much enjoyed . It is now in
Tampa and I hope I am fortunate this year to make it again. Very much worth your time and effort

chevybob20
03-29-2011, 07:36 PM
I received my entry form yesterday and sent it out today. This is my fourth attempt to qualify. I'm 1 for 3 so far (I drew a lucky bracket).

I enjoy this tournament more than any other that I have played in. I have yet to hear of any major arguement or incident in the three years that I have participated. I believe it's due to the lack of payout or (better said) spirt of the competition.

This is a great event.

Disclaimer=> I don't play in any APA sanctioned leagues or have any interest in the APA. :wink:

bazkook
04-04-2011, 11:47 AM
I'm seriously considering playing in a qualifier at Mr. Cue's II this year. Will there be players like Paul Song and other top tier local players in the event or will the players not quite be up to that speed?

Derek
04-04-2011, 12:28 PM
I don't know the speed of these players well, but perennial favorites are Henry Brodt, David Rowell, Robert Hall, and Travis Gunn. Click on this link and you can go to the year of the Amateur and select "National Qualifiers" to see who played.

http://www.usamateurchampionship.com/champions.html

JolietJames
04-04-2011, 12:46 PM
Henry's a monster from our area. I've never drawn him in a tourney but I've watched him play and he is a very solid player.

cardiac kid
04-04-2011, 01:25 PM
Henry's a monster from our area. I've never drawn him in a tourney but I've watched him play and he is a very solid player.

Played Henry in the finals of an event at the Windy City Open a few years ago. "Ditto" to being a solid player.

Lyn

bazkook
04-04-2011, 02:28 PM
I don't know the speed of these players well, but perennial favorites are Henry Brodt, David Rowell, Robert Hall, and Travis Gunn. Click on this link and you can go to the year of the Amateur and select "National Qualifiers" to see who played.

http://www.usamateurchampionship.com/champions.html

I realize you have to be a very solid player to win the national championships but I would be happy to even win a local qualifier. Can anyone who has played at a qualifier at Mr. Cue's II in Atlanta comment on the speed of the players at a qualifier? I'm probably going to give it a try regardless of the other players' speed but it would be nice to know what kind of players I might be up against.

cardiac kid
04-04-2011, 02:33 PM
I realize you have to be a very solid player to win the national championships but I would be happy to even win a local qualifier. Can anyone who has played at a qualifier at Mr. Cue's II in Atlanta comment on the speed of the players at a qualifier? I'm probably going to give it a try regardless of the other players' speed but it would be nice to know what kind of players I might be up against.

Only one piece of advice. Play the balls on the table. Forget about who your opponent is! If you worry prematurely, you'll talk yourself out of playing your best. Or playing at all. Go and have fun.

Lyn

jrt30004
04-04-2011, 02:36 PM

pretty strong

Eric.
04-04-2011, 02:51 PM

Jeff Hooks won a qualifier in the ATL, but went 1-2 at the championship level.

Eric

Derek
04-04-2011, 02:52 PM

I was at Mr. Cue's II in 2005 but that was the main event (damn, six years ago already). Atlanta has solid players so expect a strong crowd. There will be plenty of great players who don't play because A) they either don't know about it, B) are turned off because the APA's name is associated with it, or C) the main reason of there not being any prize money.

Hard to quantify it. Figure the qualifier will be the same strength of a high level local tournament excluding any showings of a local pro or top road player.

bazkook
04-04-2011, 03:05 PM
Only one piece of advice. Play the balls on the table. Forget about who your opponent is! If you worry prematurely, you'll talk yourself out of playing your best. Or playing at all. Go and have fun.

Lyn

Thanks for that piece of advice. I'm been working a lot on my mental game for the past few months and I think I've come a long way. I don't get distracted by things I can't control nor do I get angry when I miss or my opponent gets a lucky roll. I also play smarter by not attempting crazy shots and shooting defense when necessary. I believe that at a level when there is relatively little difference in playing ability, the mental aspects of pool really start to come into play.

chevybob20
04-04-2011, 03:10 PM
I've played at Mr Cues the last two years. Most of the players are average players (B level and below). 10% of the players are strong (B+ and above).

There are multiple backets. If I remember correctly, 8 brackets with around 110 players. This is a blind draw. So, you could possibly draw a bracket with weak players and do well.

I can't believe you're even hesitating. Pull the trigger and have a good time.

I'll see you at Mr Cues 2

Bob P.

bazkook
04-04-2011, 09:14 PM
I've played at Mr Cues the last two years. Most of the players are average players (B level and below). 10% of the players are strong (B+ and above).

There are multiple backets. If I remember correctly, 8 brackets with around 110 players. This is a blind draw. So, you could possibly draw a bracket with weak players and do well.

I can't believe you're even hesitating. Pull the trigger and have a good time.

I'll see you at Mr Cues 2

Bob P.

Oh I'm definitely playing in the qualifier if I'm able to. I turn 25 the week before the qualifier so if I win, I can consider it a late birthday gift. :D

sk8ordie
04-04-2011, 10:06 PM
Anyone going to BUCK's Billiards in Raleigh, NC for the US amateur? Thinking about going there this year with some friends. They go every year and have a great time. Ron

quadrary
04-05-2011, 12:49 AM
Oh I'm definitely playing in the qualifier if I'm able to. I turn 25 the week before the qualifier so if I win, I can consider it a late birthday gift. :D

the crowd at cues to qualifier can be very strong depends a lot on your bracket. There will be some weak players and quite a few very strong players that can multiple racks on you. Try to win the lag and pick your strongest game to start. If you are mainly an 8 ball player you definately want to win the lag and start with 5 games of 8 ball. Good luck to you and see you at cues 2. Oh by the way the tables are quick they they are 9 foot but with 760 on them.

APA Gene
04-05-2011, 11:08 AM
You better play jam up if you expect to qualify. Sure you might get a couple of low B or C players in your local qualifier draw but they are usually eliminated pretty fast leaving the A players. Like Eric said the winners (even at the local qualifier level) are usually good enough to cash in a open event. Better bring your "A" game! :thumbup:

uwate
04-05-2011, 01:53 PM
Just wanted to add in that the winner gets more than entry to US Open. They also get air and hotel. My bud Ray from Miami snapped it off last year. The week before Tampa he was at my house playing on my triple shimmed gold crown and laid down a 4 and a number of 3s on me playing 9 and 8ball. He came prepared and put in huge hrs last year getting ready for Collegiate nationals and the US Amateur.

Here's another story ill tell about Ray at the US Amateur. So Ray hates it when I get into my mode where i discuss whose playing. My attitude is that I always am curious and want to know. He hates it and refuses to learn anything about anyone bc he thinks it makes him weak to ponder who people are and what they have accomplished. I mean sometimes it unavoidable, like when you draw Corey at the Seminole events, but he specifically told me to not discuss the draw or even the player list with him at the US Amateur. So that Friday at Nationals we walk in and we both start warming up. I look over and Ray has chosen the table with Travis Gunn and another former champ, i forget now who. I think it was Parks. Anyways...i walk over and say oh hey i see you chose the table with the two former champs..nice call to warm up. Man did he get HOT at me. He was furious. So I was like oh sh1t! DOH! So Ray proceeds to pound a few shots into the rail while hes steaming at me at me and then he manages to settle in and runs out. And then breaks and runs 3 racks cleanly, good tight position and he really starts laying down monster breaks. It was at that moment I turned to a few guys from Houston that were there and said to them...yeah my buddy Ray over there is gonna be hard to beat this weekend. I could just see it that he was max confidence in his abilities that weekend.

Anyways, what these people have said is very true. If you dont come with a strong shortstop, Open speed you can forget about snapping it off. The field is loaded with good players. Every year too the field seems to get tougher. Ive been three times to nationals and have finished in the lower half of the field 2/3 times. I think im going to stop looking at the brackets and player list too. :thumbup:

hippiepool2
04-22-2011, 09:53 AM
Room is paid for 3 nights. No travel $$. You get a polo shirt when you check in at Shooters in Tampa.

If you have to ask "what's in it for me?" or "where does all the money go?", then don't bother filling out the form.

The winners also get an entry into a pro tournament , like the U.S. open

hippiepool2
04-22-2011, 09:55 AM

James ...not sure where Addison , Il. is , but there is a qualifer there ...Pyramid Club

hippiepool2
04-22-2011, 10:02 AM
I received my packet yesterday and will be playing in one of the Q's in Florida ....can't decide which one though .....

pernacious
04-22-2011, 10:02 AM
congrats...play well..and win

pernacious
04-22-2011, 10:03 AM
The winners also get an entry into a pro tournament , like the U.S. open

that's cool

JoeyA
04-22-2011, 10:19 AM

One of the things you will want to know is that MORE than one person "qualifies" for the championship match at each qualifer. It depends upon how many people are in the qualifier but many times there are a few people who make the cut in each qualifier.

JoeyA