PDA

View Full Version : Being Turned Down...

Kickin' Chicken
03-29-2011, 10:38 AM
I have purchased a TS cue that may become my regular player.

What motivated me to get this cue is that, typically, I use a standard TS butt (29") with a 30" Predator 314-2, giving me the 59" that I like to play with.

Here's my question:

This just purchased TS cue is 59" from Tim, 29.5" butt and each shaft is 29.5". I like the idea of switching over from Predator to TS orig shafts.

Both tips are just over 13mm.

I would like to take down one shaft to 12.75 and install an ivory ferrule on it.

Is there any real down side to having this orig TS shaft taken down approx .25mm?

Would it be expected to play much different after turning it down?

Will it lose it's lovely <<<ping>>>?

Your thoughts/comments are appreciated.

TIA

Best,
Brian kc

pt109
03-29-2011, 11:30 AM
If you've been using Predator...ivory ferrules are going to be a shock.
They push like broomsticks.
Every good cue I've bought since the 60's had the ivory ferrules replaced.
I equate them with hickory-shafted golf clubs.
There are marvelous materials now..use something with a thin wall.

regards
pt..<..who was turned down by a beautiful woman once....
..how was I to know she was a cue maker..:eek:

TATE
03-29-2011, 12:36 PM
I have purchased a TS cue that may become my regular player.

What motivated me to get this cue is that, typically, I use a standard TS butt (29") with a 30" Predator 314-2, giving me the 59" that I like to play with.

Here's my question:

This just purchased TS cue is 59" from Tim, 29.5" butt and each shaft is 29.5". I like the idea of switching over from Predator to TS orig shafts.

Both tips are just over 13mm.

I would like to take down one shaft to 12.75 and install an ivory ferrule on it.

Is there any real down side to having this orig TS shaft taken down approx .25?

Would it be expected to play much different after turning it down?

Will it lost it's lovely <<<ping>>>?

Your thoughts/comments are appreciated.

TIA

Best,
Brian kc

Brian,

I would have to say 12.75 mm is the new standard, so it won't hurt your value. I would keep the one shaft at 13mm in case you decide to sell the cue and somebody wants a full 13mm shaft.

If you like the feel of the shaft, I would just leave the ferrule the way it is and have it turned down. Why mess with a good thing?

I will make a prediction. One day these big fat 1" white ferrules will look funny to us, like tailfins on an old Cadillac. The trend is going to short ferrules. Now that I'm used to a 1/4" ferrule, a standard one looks like a marshmallow riding on my shaft.

Chris

TheBook
03-29-2011, 12:47 PM
Why not contact TS and find out about a new shaft for you with the specs you want? It may not cost that much and it will at that much more value to your cue. Or if you can't have that done some other cue maker could do it.

Mr Hoppe
03-29-2011, 01:15 PM
If the shaft in question has a certain "ping" that you like and want to keep, then don't change a thing. If you swap ferrules and durn down the diameter, it will almost certainly be gone, never to return.

Mr H can't stand 13mm shafts. 12.75 is the new 13. :)