PDA

View Full Version : How Many??

The Renfro
03-29-2011, 09:02 PM
I unstapled a pocket, stuck a basket underneath and drug out every decent ball I own.... Ended up having 48... I refuse to open the 2 sets of ProCup TV balls I have left in case I need to sell them LOL...

Anyway I have been shooting balls every night for the last 5 nights and have been trying to at least empty the basket 10 times... 480 balls a night shooting nothing easier than a spot shot... So how many would you think is enough for A)Improving B)Maintaining???... I am currently working preshot and shot making only this way.... After I retool my preshot I'll throw in some speed and position drills...

Maniac
03-29-2011, 09:12 PM
I can't answer your question, but I STILL want a full-size poster of your avatar for my man-cave :thumbup:!!!

Maniac

cigardave
03-29-2011, 09:32 PM
I unstapled a pocket, stuck a basket underneath and drug out every decent ball I own.... Ended up having 48... I refuse to open the 2 sets of ProCup TV balls I have left in case I need to sell them LOL...

Anyway I have been shooting balls every night for the last 5 nights and have been trying to at least empty the basket 10 times... 480 balls a night shooting nothing easier than a spot shot... So how many would you think is enough for A)Improving B)Maintaining???... I am currently working preshot and shot making only this way.... After I retool my preshot I'll throw in some speed and position drills...
Have you considered adding a ball return system to your table?

jwpretd
03-30-2011, 02:04 AM
I can't answer your question, but I STILL want a full-size poster of your avatar for my man-cave

Her name's Luana Lani; she's a model from the Philippines. You might try looking here:

http://missluana.com/

You may also find it useful to know about TinEye. It finds pictures on the web that match one you give it. It works stunningly well; among other things the images don't have to have the same format, be the same size, one can be a cropped portion of the other, etc. It'll be easier for you to read it about than for me to try explain it:

http://www.tineye.com/

If you use Firefox there's a plugin that allows you to right click on a photo and automatically have TinEye look for a match. That's how I found her name and I then looked her up on Google. All of it took under a minute. There may be plugins for other browsers; I don't know.

Neil
03-30-2011, 05:59 AM

3andstop
03-30-2011, 06:09 AM
I don't know how many, I don't even know if what you are doing is a good way to practice.

What I would like to say is that I commend you on your "ABILITY" to practice like this.

As long as I've been playing, (50+yrs) and as much as I love the game, I've never ever been able to practice. That may sound odd to some, but it's true.

I've tried on a handful of occasions, and become bored out of my mind in minutes. I am jealous of your ability to practice with this much commitment, and determination. I'm sure the results will be worth the effort.

I have a friend with this ability to practice for hours and it shows in his straight shooting. My GC3 sits in the basement and gets used only when one of my old pool buddies and I get together.

All I can think to say regarding your determination is "wow" Good for you!!!

The Renfro
04-02-2011, 03:02 PM
The results so far are enough to keep me at this... I considered a ball return table for practice but I tended to get distracted from my intent when having to get the balls out after 15. With 40+ I can focus on my task at hand for longer periods... I wish I had 100 and may start panhandling the pool room and my friends out of old sets LOL.

I wanted to make 3 changes.

1)Chalking before EVERY Shot
2)Altering the way I get down to the cue to keep a flatter back instead of just lowering my base and still being upright.
3)Staying down until the ball hits the back of the pocket

I went out and played on a 9ft Diamond blue label last night, my practice table is an 8' Olhausen (bleh!). I could tell I had made drastic improvements on all 3 items. For the first time in memory I don't think I miscued all night. I seemed to be pocketing all the easy shots with consistency which can either be from staying down or from having a better form getting down the same way every time.

I think Neil is likely right that 30 days of practicing like this are in order and THEN we add position and speed elements.

BTW... 480 Balls is taking me about about 3.5 hours which should definately be above the mainenance threshhold and into the improvement model I would think.....

Maniac
04-02-2011, 07:03 PM
BTW... 480 Balls is taking me about about 3.5 hours which should definately be above the mainenance threshhold and into the improvement model I would think.....

.....and Miss Luana RULES :thumbup:!!!

Maniac