PDA

View Full Version : Ball shaddered on the break .

Rob_jerrylee
03-29-2011, 11:29 PM
So last night I was at a friend of mines house shooting some scotch doubles 8 ball and the night was going pretty well until it was my turn to break , Now if you've seen some of my video's on youtube you can tell I have a pretty decent break . Anyways I set up for my break and I figured I'm not going to hit very hard since he had new cloth installed so I took about 30 % off well the cue ball hits the rack and the head ball just Shatters in to about 20 pieces .

Everyone looked at me like holy crap what just happened , The balls where an old set of Aramiths and everyone there started lookin at the pieces and then looking at me , and I looked at everyone and said I've never in my life broke a ball on the break , a couple shafts yes but never a ball . So here's a pictures of the shattered ball .

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j314/Rob_jerrylee/MMS_Resized_Pix.jpg

hunger strike
03-29-2011, 11:44 PM
So we were on a balcony 2.5 floors up, with a concrete patio below, and many dozens of phenolic and clay pool balls that were given to me. To show you how incredibly hard phenolic balls are, we threw the balls as hard as we could like baseballs, 2.5 stories down onto concrete, and they hit so hard some of them bounced 5 stories high or so. A partner below would toss each ball back up to the thrower. We inspected each ball after each throw, amazed when a ball did not shatter. After 5 or so throws, fractures developed in the phenolic and when a ball would shatter on subsequent throws it would always shatter along the areas already fractured. So when you say you used old aramith balls, I am certain they had developed fractures over time. I am sure you have a good break, but it was a fractured ball that shattered, not a new unfractured ball. Chris Jeanneret of Wichita showed me a cueball he shattered in half on a break, and I was really impressed until we threw the balls off the balcony. Phenolic is such a killer material it is rediculous.

jphaxx
03-30-2011, 01:56 AM
Dude, you need to send that pic to Predator and maybe they can use it as a magazine advertisement. HAHA

Black-Balled
03-30-2011, 06:02 AM
pool balls are surprisingly bouncy. I can confirm that.So we were on a balcony 2.5 floors up, with a concrete patio below, and many dozens of phenolic and clay pool balls that were given to me. To show you how incredibly hard phenolic balls are, we threw the balls as hard as we could like baseballs, 2.5 stories down onto concrete, and they hit so hard some of them bounced 5 stories high or so. A partner below would toss each ball back up to the thrower. We inspected each ball after each throw, amazed when a ball did not shatter. After 5 or so throws, fractures developed in the phenolic and when a ball would shatter on subsequent throws it would always shatter along the areas already fractured. So when you say you used old aramith balls, I am certain they had developed fractures over time. I am sure you have a good break, but it was a fractured ball that shattered, not a new unfractured ball. Chris Jeanneret of Wichita showed me a cueball he shattered in half on a break, and I was really impressed until we threw the balls off the balcony. Phenolic is such a killer material it is rediculous.

jalapus logan
03-30-2011, 06:29 AM
I once shattered a 10 ball on the break in an 8 ball tourney on bar boxes. The balls were old as well. I kept the pieces as a memento.

NewStroke
03-30-2011, 06:36 AM
I once cut a Cougar cue ball in half and found a nine ball.

RDaniel13
03-30-2011, 06:51 AM
You shattered the 13 ball on the break. You sir, will be unlucky for years to come..... Lol, j/k!

So last night I was at a friend of mines house shooting some scotch doubles 8 ball and the night was going pretty well until it was my turn to break , Now if you've seen some of my video's on youtube you can tell I have a pretty decent break . Anyways I set up for my break and I figured I'm not going to hit very hard since he had new cloth installed so I took about 30 % off well the cue ball hits the rack and the head ball just Shatters in to about 20 pieces .

Everyone looked at me like holy crap what just happened , The balls where an old set of Aramiths and everyone there started lookin at the pieces and then looking at me , and I looked at everyone and said I've never in my life broke a ball on the break , a couple shafts yes but never a ball . So here's a pictures of the shattered ball .

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j314/Rob_jerrylee/MMS_Resized_Pix.jpg

Maniac
03-30-2011, 06:57 AM
I once cut a Cougar cue ball in half and found a nine ball.

I once dated a Cougar ;) :thumbup:!!!

Maniac

SpiderWebComm
03-30-2011, 07:00 AM
The ball was likely broken (micro cracks) before you hit it with the break. If it was old, it was probably half-rotted.

ctyhntr
03-30-2011, 07:55 AM
Did you win the game or not? Or the shattered ball threw you off.

Rob_jerrylee
03-30-2011, 09:02 AM
Did you win the game or not? Or the shattered ball threw you off.

Well I will say this we got the shop vac out and got the pieces off the table found another 13 ball and re-racked and broke again , Yes I ended up winning that game .

I wasn't to worried that it was the 13 ball I don't think about bad luck with stuff like that .

SLIM
03-30-2011, 09:04 AM
a couple guys i work with say that their wives do this on a daily basis.

SLIM

donuteric
03-30-2011, 09:12 AM
a couple guys i work with say that their wives do this on a daily basis.

SLIM

:eek: :D :thumbup:

ctyhntr
03-30-2011, 09:46 AM
You now have some great mementos from that game. Didn't you break a predator break shaft a while back?

Well I will say this we got the shop vac out and got the pieces off the table found another 13 ball and re-racked and broke again , Yes I ended up winning that game .

I wasn't to worried that it was the 13 ball I don't think about bad luck with stuff like that .

Rob_jerrylee
03-30-2011, 10:05 AM
You now have some great mementos from that game. Didn't you break a predator break shaft a while back?

Yes Ctyhntr, I broke two pedator shafts about a year an half ago . :thumbup:

ctyhntr
03-30-2011, 10:15 AM
Ah, I see it clearly now. You're a banger, and we need to transition you away to hitting soft and softer.

Yes Ctyhntr, I broke two pedator shafts about a year an half ago . :thumbup:

Rob_jerrylee
03-30-2011, 10:20 AM
Ah, I see it clearly now. You're a banger, and we need to transition you away to hitting soft and softer.

I'm working on it everyday , I'm no banger thats for sure , I don't just get up to the table and bang balls around .

kybill9
03-30-2011, 12:03 PM
If any of the broken pieces passed through the path of object balls, it a scratch, loss of game. LOL LOL LOL

ctyhntr
03-30-2011, 01:36 PM
You have a stroke to be envied, especially when you can generate and focus that much power.

I'm working on it everyday , I'm no banger thats for sure , I don't just get up to the table and bang balls around .

PickPocket
03-31-2011, 07:11 AM
You have a stroke to be envied, especially when you can generate and focus that much power.

2 predator shafts, airamith balls... Not me!! To expensive to be jealous of his stroke!!;)

I will say this though, HUGE PROPS MAN!! THAT'S PRETTY COOL!

Mr Hoppe
03-31-2011, 09:43 AM
What self-respecting pool player racks the 13 as the head ball? :p

Rob_jerrylee
03-31-2011, 12:56 PM
What self-respecting pool player racks the 13 as the head ball? :p

Mr.Hoppe .....Well since I was the only sober one there I'd say a few drunk guys and are not payin attention . Everyone has been telling me I'm going to have bad luck but I don't believe in any superstitions.

ChazL
03-31-2011, 04:44 PM
Ball shaddered on the break

Shaddered on the break? Why dhad's udderly treatful! :D:D:D