PDA

View Full Version : Who is your favorite pool player, and why?

jdxprs
03-30-2011, 04:59 AM
SVB gets my vote. His style and attitude are the reason. He doesnt know anything about who i am, yet he took the time to "chat" with me and offer tips and advice!

Seems like a great guy, and role model, not to mention a great pool player.

CarlB
03-30-2011, 05:03 AM
I am partial to Mr. 400, John Schmidt. He is always willing to chat, discuss the game, and has a great personality for the sport. Always willing to gamble, puts on a great show at tournaments, great commentator in the booth, and willing to dedicate an overwhelming amount of time running a pool room.

First time I played some 9-ball with him, I broke and ran the first game...Woo Hoo 1-0 vs John Schmidt, he then proceeded to whoop my ass for the next X amount of games.

But all in all a great guy and great player. Respect to John.

Carl

Edit: I mean of course I am my favorite pool player. Am I anyone elses favorite?

Chi2dxa
03-30-2011, 05:06 AM
Danny Smith

He just seems to be cool when it comes to big money playing. He has a real nice stroke and gets the cash.

cowboyup200560
03-30-2011, 05:17 AM
I really cant decide lol. John Schmidt is definitly up there but so is Shane. I have met and spent time talking with both. I would put Earl on that list also if he would come down off his high horse and control himself.

Mr. Wiggles
03-30-2011, 05:19 AM
SVB gets my vote. His style and attitude are the reason. He doesnt know anything about who i am, yet he took the time to "chat" with me and offer tips and advice!

Seems like a great guy, and role model, not to mention a great pool player.

Although not a pro or even close, we had a fellow from the Okla. City area who played back in the old days whose name was Ronnie Johnson. I sure hope I'm right on the name but I know I'm close. He was a thalidomide child at birth meaning he had two misformed arms. Using a special crutch he played as a 6 handicap. In those old Busch League days 7 was as high as handicaps went! He humbled many people and was an inspiration to all!

Black-Balled
03-30-2011, 06:31 AM
I like Warren Kiamco and Neils Feijin.

3andstop
03-30-2011, 07:22 AM
Since you didn't mention if they had to be alive, Steve Mizerak by far. The most amazing, fluid, effortless, play I've ever witnessed. The true definition of poetry in motion.

Even now,putting an old DVD in the player and watching him play straight pool, is absolutely mesmerizing.

JusticeNJ
03-30-2011, 07:30 AM
Since you didn't mention if they had to be alive, Steve Mizerak by far. The most amazing, fluid, effortless, play I've ever witnessed. The true definition of poetry in motion.

Even now,putting an old DVD in the player and watching him play straight pool, is absolutely mesmerizing.

You said it.

What I would do for that stroke....and rhythm. His stroke was pure beauty no doubt, but his rhythm was just as beautiful. So graceful.

RIP Miz.

Kickin' Chicken
03-30-2011, 07:40 AM
Earl: He is a phenominal shotmaker and position player with great rhythm (when he's not beotching and meoaning). His pace keeps the game very interesting to watch. When you've played as many racks as he has, there's no reason to stand there in deep contemplation over what to do next.

Busty: The m-o-n-s-t-e-r break and locomotive stroke. Magnificent!

Alex: Nicest guy, oozes charisma, shoots lights out.

Best,
Brian kc

ArizonaPete
03-30-2011, 07:41 AM
In my book it's Earl Strickland. Fantastic shot making, fast pace, outstanding position play, and it's always center of pocket. Regardless of what anyone may think of him as a person, his playing skills make him truely outstanding and probably one of the best ever.

Mike Templeton
03-30-2011, 07:55 AM
Gotta be Archer for me... the first time I saw him, he was a scrawny, redneck looking kid from a small town in Georgia who needed dental work and new clothes. Now he is one of the best dressed, nicest, classiest guys on tour (IMO).

Archer should be a hero to any guy like me, and millions like me, who grew up poor and didn't have nice clothes. Guys who knew the game from dimly lit bars and taverns with ne'er-do-wells, cotton mill workers, and backwoods hoojies...

He was just like us when he started. And any of us should be proud of him and his success. His talent has taken him a long way, and he deserves it all.

paksat
03-30-2011, 08:03 AM
SVB is currently the favorite due to his character and style of play.

Alex probably comes next.

I always liked Jim rempe after seeing him play not to long ago in some videos.

Jose parica seems like a pretty cool guy. Efren as well of course because he seems like a blast to be around.

Schmidt of course because of his intelligence and great conversation skills.

JAM
03-30-2011, 08:08 AM
Gee, that's a tough one to answer. :p

ScottR
03-30-2011, 08:11 AM
Gotta be Archer for me... the first time I saw him, he was a scrawny, redneck looking kid from a small town in Georgia who needed dental work and new clothes. Now he is one of the best dressed, nicest, classiest guys on tour (IMO).

Archer should be a hero to any guy like me, and millions like me, who grew up poor and didn't have nice clothes. Guys who knew the game from dimly lit bars and taverns with ne'er-do-wells, cotton mill workers, and backwoods hoojies...

He was just like us when he started. And any of us should be proud of him and his success. His talent has taken him a long way, and he deserves it all.

Hey, Mike. Who is that between you and Gabe? I should know but drawing a blank.

Scott

dardusm
03-30-2011, 08:12 AM

JAM give Keither a break and don't show those pics anymore :grin:

JAM
03-30-2011, 08:12 AM

Scott

"Tater." :)

JAM
03-30-2011, 08:13 AM

LOL! There's a story behind those pictures, too, which makes them even more funny. :grin-square:

heit8
03-30-2011, 08:34 AM
As for willing to talk and show a few things i would say,
Raj Hundal
Rodney Morris
Tony Robles
As for player to watch and most exiting,
2 MANY

tenballjoe
03-30-2011, 08:43 AM
tournament play i like watching jeremy jones and stevie moore
gambling i like watching bartram (because he is such a grinder) , hennessee , keith bennett , and ronnie wiseman im not saying these guys are the best players but they are my favorite! I mean if I had to pick the best it would probably be the guy who would spot them playing 10 ball like Alcanno or someone!

one pocket i like watching gabe or jeremy (they play well and very much within there means and controll)

Highmiles
03-30-2011, 08:43 AM
Earl, because he is not boring, and because on a more personal level, I have had the privilege to observe him at practice, on a regular basis. He has always treated those in the room with him as an equal, and has been a generally good guy when not under the pressure of a match.

donuteric
03-30-2011, 09:01 AM
I personally like Bustamante. Never seen another player that can maintain so much focus during the game no matter how much he's behind. Unorthodox stroking technique and superb breaking speed have probably classified him as one of the most explosive players ever lived.

I also like Earl when he's playing well. The difference between Busty and Earl is that when Busty is down 4 or 5 racks to a race of 9 or even 7, he normally still maintains a tremendous amount of focus in his eyes, and that convinces me that he can still win the set, so I continue watching. Similar situation to Earl normally turns Earl into a complete different person, and that is when I stop watching.

Mike Templeton
03-30-2011, 09:03 AM

Scott

Thanks Jam... Yep Scott. That's Jon Tedder (aka Tater). I walked into a little hole-in-the-wall pub in Dalton a few months, looked in the corner, and low and behold, this is the crowd I saw. Apparently a carpet mill tycoon was there throwing cash around. I had to get a picture. There were even a couple of other notable players in action I wish I could have gotten in the shot. Pool's a funny game...

Mike

paksat
03-30-2011, 09:26 AM
Raj Hundal
Rodney Morris
Tony Robles
2 MANY

Rodney morris how could I have left him off the list.

MOJOE
03-30-2011, 09:33 AM
David "Blackjack" Sapolis because he is the man.. He is kind, generous and is all about helping others and furthering the game.. Nuf said!\

Robroy
03-30-2011, 09:35 AM
My favorite match to watch was Keith and Jimmy Mataya...I would look at the chart and when they were playing I stopped, sat and enjoyed the whole match. Yup them were the days my friends :)

SLIM
03-30-2011, 09:37 AM
too many greats to pick only one.

But i'll say john schmidt because:
He makes one hell of a sandwitch.

SLIM

spanky79
03-30-2011, 09:42 AM
As for players I have met MEN has to be Stevie Moore, he is just funny and fun to be around.
Tony Robles, I have never met the guy in person, but to me he defines professional.

Women/ Sarah Rousey, because she is Sarah, and Shu Han Chang,she is a friend.
Mellisa Herdon, Melissa Morris, El Callado, and Jully Kelly come to mind, they are all great people.

Ratta
03-30-2011, 09:45 AM
Efren - for everything...
Earl - for his impressive pool and entertainment
Ralf Souquet: for his discipline, furthermore bc he s imo the *perfect Professional* and still one of the nicest guys in the pool-world.

mohrt
03-30-2011, 09:46 AM
Earl. He is to pool what Hellmuth is to poker. Good for the game. You love to love 'em, you love to hate 'em.

asbani
03-30-2011, 09:47 AM
efren reyes, and Earl strickland, why? Cause they both are interesting to watch, you will never get bored while watching these two champions.

richiebalto
03-30-2011, 09:47 AM

That would be my vote also,i would love to go to pimlico and drink a few with him any day!boy ol boy what a good women, can make a man do!

stick8
03-30-2011, 09:49 AM
Buddy Hall- mr smooth,love to watch big dog shoot .so big but so smooth. EARL THE pEARL, LIKE A BOX OF CHOCALATES YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GOING TO GET!!!!!:thumbup:

lukemindish
03-30-2011, 09:49 AM
I have two. First is SVB, i love his demeanor at the table. Always calm cool and collected. Also he is very approachable away from the table, never seems like hes too good to talk to us "normal people". Second is Alex P, he is such an entertainer. He is such a nice change from the norm of focused quiet and show now emotion. Plus he has unbelievable skill at the table.

spanky79
03-30-2011, 09:50 AM
can not forget Efren, just because I have been around him and he is such a good person.

Terry Ardeno
03-30-2011, 10:34 AM

He looks kinda familiar......

Julius McCready? Atilla the Keith? Spartacus McCready? Russell Crowe dressed like a famous pool player?

Blackjack
03-30-2011, 10:36 AM
David "Blackjack" Sapolis because he is the man.. He is kind, generous and is all about helping others and furthering the game.. Nuf said!\

Thanks Joey, now all I have to do is find the back of the pocket - LOL! You are one of my favorite players because you have that fighting spirit. That attribute cannot be taught!

I have a few more favorites

Alex Pagulayan
Alex is by far and away the most entertaining player out there today. He's genuinely friendly, funny, and its great to see someone having a great time and playing that well.

Mr. 400
John Schmidt is awesome at and away from the table. If we want to market pool in a positive way, this guy is the complete package.

Keith McCready
Nobody - and I mean NOBODY was more fun to watch than Keith. Poetry in motion, and the personality to keep everyone in stitches while he did his job. Plus, with Keith, you never knew what he was going to do with the cue ball - especially when he hit a gear and started free-wheeling. He is also a great teacher, always willing to help younger players with their game. IMO, Keith could make a fortune teaching the "dipsy-do" and some his intricate stroke and grip secrets.

Darren Appleton
I have a lot of respect for guys that don't miss. This guy is the real deal, and IMO, the odds on favorite to win any tournament he enters. He is that damn good.

Shaun Wilkie
You won't find too many players with the heart, determination, and work ethic displayed by Shaun Wilkie. This kid really wants to make his mark in the world of pool, and he's out there every single day striving to become a better player and a better person. Win, lose, or draw, he leaves it all out on the table - what else can you ask for from a player?

Bobby
03-30-2011, 11:06 AM
Earl Strickland without a doubt. He's incredibly talented, shoots at a nice quick pace, shoots lights out, great shotmaker, when he really gets going he makes very difficult shots and situations look absurdly simple (for him!), Kind of like watching Ronnie O'Sullivan play snooker.

Past Player: Tony Ellin. A complete contrast to Earl but great to watch nonetheless. I loved the way he slow rolled balls in to the pockets. He made it look easy. Every time I watched him play I immediately got into the mood to play.

Terry Ardeno
03-30-2011, 11:12 AM
Fong Pang Chao, Shannon Daulton, Earl Strickland, John Schmidt, Oliver Ortmann, Grady Mathews, Bill Incardona, Buddy Hall, Allen Hopkins & Nick Varner are all my favorites for one reason or another.

Chao-table presence & attitude. He has a special aura about him. He KNOWS he is a bad man at the table! Poise personified. Great composure.

Daulton-what's NOT to like! An all-around super player & great personality.
He once told me "The great players have earned the fear they put into people." Very respectful towards other players. I could go on & on, but Ktown would start to think I got a man-crush on SD! :D

Strickland-greatest tournament 9 baller ever. Super friendly & always gracious to me. Loves & lives pool & always wanted it to be bigger than it is. Very aggresive. Killer instinct galore.

Schmidt-one of the nicest, most humble & talented men in pool. Great all-around champion who is down-to-earth & not full of himself. More talented then even he himself realizes!

Ortmann-IMO, the greatest modern day 14.1 champion. Superb shotmaker.
Very fearless (ballzee) at the table.

Grady-best commentator that combines vast knowledge & great humor. His stories & banter can't be beat. A pool lifer. Great champion.

Bill Incardona-If I had to have one player, of any era ever, to "manage" me in match ups, it'd be Billy. So intelligent & shrewd in a good kinda way.

Buddy Hall-best cue ball of all time. Superb talent that has lasted past the test of time. He is still a tremendous player nowadays. Can't even imagine just how tough he was to beat in his prime.

Allen Hopkins-An all-around super elite player. One of pools most fan friendly & approachable champions. He has given so much back to pool. Incredibly tough money player. Stone cold gambler who is among the best ever money players.

Nick Varner-not even Efren Reyes has World Championships in 8 Ball, 9 Ball, One Pocket, 14.1 & Banks. America's greatest all-around player. Pit bull tenacity. Biggest heart, toughest grinder, loads of killer instint. Hates giving up the table.

We're lucky to have been alive when these great champions were plying their trade.

Scratch
03-30-2011, 11:22 AM
John S. great person and always nice to crowd

Tom Kennedy nicest guy in pool!!!!

Alex P. fun to watch

ccshrimper
03-30-2011, 12:14 PM
I can't believe nobody said Scotty Townsend. It doesn't get more entertaining than him playing.

Hustlehard
03-30-2011, 12:32 PM
Thorsten hohmann, i like his style he's like a pool playing machine.

He was nice enough to give me some free lessons at qball billiards,hella cool dude.

SeanC
03-30-2011, 12:32 PM
Mika, Efren, Earl...

Mika, something about his technique blows me away.
Efren, for his personality and the way he sees the layout.
Earl, pure shotmaking.

Baby PacMan
03-30-2011, 01:55 PM
Ralf Souquet.I totally admire him on two levels. First his game is world class, it speaks for itself. Second, his personality. A professional, perhaps austere. But no bravado, no outbursts, just skill.

Snake Plisken
03-30-2011, 02:05 PM
Obviously there are and have been many great players (way too many to mention) who deserve respect and are enjoyable to watch,

But I would have to say Keith McCready. Keith not only made the game look so effortless (especially when he hit a gear) but he made it fun and entertaining.

I think that entertainment aspect is missing from pool today. I love watching great pool regardless, but watching great pool and seeing the player joking and having fun with the audience takes the entertainment value to another level.

Alex is the only current player that I can think of that exudes personality and fun like Keith. Keith can take someone who has no interest in pool and make them a fan. Pool would be in a much better place today if there were more players like Keith McCready in the game.

Black-Balled
03-31-2011, 06:22 AM
Shaun Wilkie
You won't find too many players with the heart, determination, and work ethic displayed by Shaun Wilkie. This kid really wants to make his mark in the world of pool, and he's out there every single day striving to become a better player and a better person. Win, lose, or draw, he leaves it all out on the table - what else can you ask for from a player?

I wouldn't vote for Shaun...coz when I watch him it is him running out on me:sorry:!

Evidence of how awesome Shaun is: Played a tourney last weekend and was told to come back next day to play him in the losers side. I asked him if we could please get his ass-whippin over now, instead of coming back Sunday.

He obliged. I failed to dole out the whippin:embarrassed2:. We were close, but that 3pack at the end kinda hurt lots.

Thanks Shaun, I guess!

Maniac
03-31-2011, 07:09 AM
Raj Hundal
Rodney Morris
Tony Robles
2 MANY

Good answers here.

My favorite to watch WAS Alex P. before his drunken fiasco at the DCC. I cannot condone that kind of behavior at a professional event.

I have always admired Oliver Ortmann's confident swagger at the table. He paces around the table like a caged lion, never taking his eyes off of the cloth, looking like he's ready to pounce on some unsuspecting prey. He has a total air of confidence about him. At least he did in his better days, haven't seen him lately.

So, because of the Alex P. flub, I revert back to Oliver Ortmann as my favorite player to watch (though in actuallity there are too many to name).

Maniac

The Aviator
03-31-2011, 08:24 AM
It's great and kind of surprising to see John Schmidt's name pop up almost immediately in this thread, just because he's not usually in the lineup of usual suspects. Obviously he's beloved for his 14.1 game, but I didn't realize that so many others list him as their favorite pool player. I think he's got one of the best strokes in the sport, and he looks like a dancer at the table. It's truly wonderful to watch John play. I learn something new every time I watch him.

Servicky
03-31-2011, 09:07 AM
Have to be buddy down to earth lived up the street from me and his brother Ray pretty much taught me all I know. I can't say enought about the halls.

Salty
03-31-2011, 02:25 PM
-Efren (fav. Phil.)
First because of his "magic" and second because of his humble personality. When visiting the Philippines you will be surprised how much he is loved by everyone and stil be this simple and humble guy.

-Oliver Ortmann (fav. Euro.)
Like Maniac stated here, when he's at the table he's looking for prey. I saw him 2 years ago at a tournament in Belgium and he really is a killer at the table. But a nice guy, got a picture and a short chat.

-Tony Robles (fav. US)
Verry professional and got class

gpeezy
03-31-2011, 02:34 PM
scotty townsend, cause he doesn't give a damn bout no 8 ball on a bar table

Celtic
03-31-2011, 02:46 PM

The "REAL" reason that Keith quit posting here. :(

As far as the question, quite possibly Sigel. Back when he was playing professionally he was quite amazing to watch, in the words of Efren "He never meese!"

Sigel had such a solid stroke and such a methodical and determined way of playing. He almost got pissed off at tough shots and worked himself into a frame of mind where he would make the toughest shots purely out of spite towards the game and it's attempt to stop him from winning the match, which he normally believed was the correct and proper outcome regardless of who was playing him.

Danktrees
03-31-2011, 03:04 PM
i've got a few

chao fong pang cuz he's a champ
wu chia ching - monster
lee van corteza - like his demeanor and stroke

honourable mentions
takeshi okumura or strokumura lol
alex pagulayan cuz he's alex
dennis hatch

Danktrees
03-31-2011, 03:07 PM
I personally like Bustamante. Never seen another player that can maintain so much focus during the game no matter how much he's behind.

try varner being down 10-1 and coming back to win it 11-10.

azbluemach1
03-31-2011, 03:21 PM
Dippy :thumbup:

sk8ordie
03-31-2011, 03:28 PM
I have many favorites but, one that always comes to mind as my favorite player and someone who I watch his videos over and over again for a decade would be Mr. Cash Money (Corey Deuel) He doesn't place as much as he did but, he's still an awesome player/person. Ron

PickPocket
04-01-2011, 09:09 AM
Definitely "Johnny" from pool hall junkies is the best. He made it look so easy!... He could beat anyone! I herd he beat chuck norris! 2wise! :p

Wish I could see everyone's face after reading this! ROTFLMAO!
PS. Just kidding guys. April fools and all...

Svb, Mr. 400, buddy hall, the miz + so many more, too many to list...

Masayoshi
04-01-2011, 09:26 AM
i've got a few

chao fong pang cuz he's a champ
wu chia ching - monster
lee van corteza - like his demeanor and stroke

honourable mentions
takeshi okumura or strokumura lol
alex pagulayan cuz he's alex
dennis hatch

Okumura was always one of my favorites. Probably the least celebrated world champion in pool.

Mike Templeton
04-01-2011, 09:37 AM
scotty townsend, cause he doesn't give a damn bout no 8 ball on a bar table

And if he wants to make a gaff bet with you, don't take it. He once wanted to bet me $1000 that he could jump over Breaker's Billiards in Mobile standing flat-footed and I wouldn't take the bet. :)

Terry Ardeno
04-01-2011, 10:08 AM
Okumura was always one of my favorites. Probably the least celebrated world champion in pool.

I liked Kunihiko Takahashi & Takeshi just about the same, maybe the slightest edge to Takahashi.

Can you offer any insight into what their personalities were like? What were they like off the table? Did they get along with each other? Rivals?

Thank you.

Masayoshi
04-01-2011, 10:20 AM
I liked Kunihiko Takahashi & Takeshi just about the same, maybe the slightest edge to Takahashi.

Can you offer any insight into what their personalities were like? What were they like off the table? Did they get along with each other? Rivals?

Thank you.

Never met either personally, much less about how they interacted, but most people I know think that Okumura was the best Japanese player in his time. I believe he is undefeated against Bustamante.

Okumura is quite a bit older than Takahashi so I doubt there was much rivalry between the two.

SlickRick_PCS
04-01-2011, 11:05 AM
Pocket Billiards (male)-
Shane Van Boening; because he is a dedicated, classy, pool player that holds the gift of using his disability as an advantage.
Efren Reyes- because no other human being has ever been so enthused at such a young age to learn as much as he did and to become as great as he is now (as well as he said in interviews that he was at his peak in rotation in the 70s).

Pocket Billiards (female) -
Allison Fischer - With her abilities in snooker, she has pretty much showed the female pool world how to shoot shots that are pretty much improbable to make.

Jean Balukas & Jasmin Ouschan - both ladies show the courage to go up against the men and give it all they got. Both Jean and Jasmin have background of Straight Pool and a smoothness unlike no other in their strokes.

Otterman
04-01-2011, 10:27 PM

Miz was awesome. Obviously known more for his straight pool, I have some DVD's I converted from old VHS tapes of Miz playing 9 ball that I watch frequently. My favorite is '92 Rak-m-up Classic finals vs. Buddy Hall. Hall comes out the victor, but Miz gets to showcase that silky smooth stroke. His break was amazing. The power and accuracy he generated on the break with just his stroke and no body movement is truly a beautiful thing to watch.

Hard to pick 1 favorite player; there's many whose games I admire. My favorite current players and why:
Yang - Seems to never miss and runs out from everywhere! Always cool. Thorsten Hohmann - No weaknesses, works hard, professional attitude.
Dennis Hatch - Just a terrific talent, seems to enjoy playing. His previous Mosconi Cup performance was inspiring.
John Schmidt - Not a big fan of his game, but his attitude. Has MADE himself a great player through hard work. Saw him miss a routine 9 ball for the win in '07 Texas Hold 'Em tournament on ESPN...he shook his head a little and smiled, then gave Johnny Archer a hug when he beat him.
Stevie Moore - Nice smooth game, does most things right on the table. Took my son to one of Stevie's workshops last year and he was great to be around. Just a really good guy. You can't help pulling for him.
Shane Van Boening - young man's game is just insane. Best break in history of pool, shoots jump shots with amazing accuracy (often without the short cue). Great attitude, will match up with anyone, anywhere.

Former players or semi-active players:
Buddy Hall - shoots the right shot every time, terrific control of whitey, and a really nice guy. Hard not to like The Rifleman!
Ginky San Souci - Smooth, powerful and confident. Great presence and attitude at the table. RIP, Ginky.
Nick Varner - Great all-around player, tremendous work ethic, gracious, never-say-die mentality.
Mike Sigel - Probably #1 on my all-time favorites list. In addition to great shotmaking ability, a devastating stroke, and vast knowledge, Mike has that intangible bit of....something....that makes it obvious to anyone that watches him pocket a ball or two that they're witnessing something special. Many great players require observing for awhile to realize and understand that you're watching something great. That fact is obvious from the first ball pocketed when sweating a Mike Sigel match.

Sorry this was long-winded. I don't often have time to participate in the threads here, so guess I'm making up for lost time....:thumbup:

westcoast
04-01-2011, 10:49 PM
Earl (not a fan of his personality, but outright amazed at his ability), Deuel, Bustie, and Mika