PDA

View Full Version : Earl & Johnny "Bad Blood" this Sat/Sun -Read inside for new details!

"CaliRed".
03-31-2011, 03:35 AM
For any of you that have been living under a rock, there is going to be a big matchup this weekend in Lincoln, NE. Earl Strickland will be playing Johnny Archer on Sat. and Sun. There will be a PPV.

Full details are here. http://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=2884487&postcount=1

Here's where I come in. I initially got a hold of Mark Cantrill (the promoter of this event, along with all the Legends and Champions tours over the past several years.... http://www.legendschampions.com/ ) and asked about doing a little taping of the guys.

He had wanted to do something like a Behind the Scenes type of production for quite some time. So I offered to try to do something along those lines.

So as a special treat to all you fans of this event and the players, starting today, I will be trying to get some good footage of what it is like behind the scenes, for these 2 guys coming to a town and putting on a show. Over the next few days, I will be trying to get some good video of everything going behind the scenes, with this matchup. :)

I"m starting out by going to the airport and getting some footage of them there. I will then pickup Nick Varner and drive him down to Lincoln.

Each night I will try and put together something real quick and post it up, so you can enjoy it while the event is taking place.

Mark is not kidding when he says that Earl and Johnny truely do not like each other and each one want's to beat each other's a$$.:D So it should be a great event. Remember these guys are going to be wearing mic's on them, so it should be a very entertaining matchup! Go to the link above for links to the PPV.

I hope to sit down with each of them over the next couple of days and get a real candid interview with them. We really don't get to know anything about the players, we only see them on TV or streams or in person, while they're playing. So my goal is to try and portray them in everyday life and allow everyone to get to know them a little better on a personal level.

I am welcome to suggestions for questions to ask them for my interviews.

I respectfully ask that this thread not turn into another one of the other 30 threads about Earl's behavior. That's been done to death, so if you feel the urge to keep harping on that, please use the other threads to do so.

This thread is about THIS matchup and you guys helping me out with questions that you would like to know about Johnny, Earl or Nick.

I hope I can come up with good stuff for you guys, I will be doing this on the fly, and once again, I will be filming in High Definition Baby, so it is going to look sweeeeeet! Because it's going to take awhile to download the footage to my PC, a good while to edit it, a good while to encode it, a good while to upload it and then even more time for the server to re-encode it, my pieces should be available late at night, each night.

So come on down, if you're in the area, or get the PPV and follow along with my Behind the Scenes videos of the BAD BLOOD matchup this weekend in Lincoln, NE!

STAY TUNED for my first video later tonight!

Greg

justadub
03-31-2011, 04:25 AM
Awesome!

Thanks for putting in the effort.

SKUNKBOY
03-31-2011, 05:45 AM
Greg,

This could be a very interesting look into each of these player. The everyday life of our pro pool players is somethig most of us do not ever hear about.

I know Earl works out quite a bit and that may be a good topic. If you could capture his daily exercise regiment, that might be informative and inspiring. Maybe a compairison of the two's physical preperation would be insightful.

It'll be good to watch these spots. I'm sure we will all learn something new.

Thanks...Ken

CarlB
03-31-2011, 05:49 AM
Since when does Earl need a mic? lol. Sounds awesome.

Do you plan to produce a DVD for purchase in the future? I am in Afghanistan at the moment so all of these "online" matches and streams, I cannot get.

Thanks for doing something this great. It is going to be great and I personally think you will get some great footage.

Carl

steveinflorida
03-31-2011, 05:53 AM
Your efforts are appreciated. Thank you.

nelldrake
03-31-2011, 08:17 AM
What is Nick Varner's role in this event?

Quesports
03-31-2011, 08:22 AM

He is gonna imitate Big John McCarthy!!

NewStroke
03-31-2011, 08:25 AM
Cali,

Do you know if this will be available via DVD for those that can't watch this weekend?

Thanks

Dan

"CaliRed".
03-31-2011, 08:42 AM
Cali,

Do you know if this will be available via DVD for those that can't watch this weekend?

Thanks

Dan

I think tvmike is planning on doing that, yes

"CaliRed".
03-31-2011, 08:43 AM

He is a commentator for the PPV stream

Mr Hoppe
03-31-2011, 08:54 AM
Sounds very interesting. Here are some questions you might choose to ask each one of them:
- If you could do it all over again, and could not choose pool as your career, what would you do?
- Get them to talk about life as a pro pool player in general. Pros vs cons, is it easy or hard, would they encourage others to follow that path, etc.
- Is it possible for someone just starting out today to make a living from playing pool? 5 or 10 years from now, will it be possible?
- What do they think it will take to get out-of-industry sponsors interested in investing in this game?
- Why do they think poker has so easily surpassed the popularity of pool in America?
- What has been their best and worst pool moment?
- If they could choose one person to meet past or present, pool or non-pool related, who would that be?
- Who has been their greatest influence in pool?
- If they lost all of their pool skills and experience today, and could take the same from another player, who would that be?
- What is in their bag?
- Do they really think they can win another major championship?
- If they had to give a retirement date right now, when would it be, and what would they do after retirement?
- If they knew for a fact that they couldn't fail, what would they choose to do?

That should get you started.

"CaliRed".
03-31-2011, 08:57 AM
Sounds very interesting. Here are some questions you might choose to ask each one of them:
- If you could do it all over again, and could not choose pool as your career, what would you do?
- Get them to talk about life as a pro pool player in general. Pros vs cons, is it easy or hard, would they encourage others to follow that path, etc.
- Is it possible for someone just starting out today to make a living from playing pool? 5 or 10 years from now, will it be possible?
- What do they think it will take to get out-of-industry sponsors interested in investing in this game?
- Why do they think poker has so easily surpassed the popularity of pool in America?
- What has been their best and worst pool moment?
- If they could choose one person to meet past or present, pool or non-pool related, who would that be?
- Who has been their greatest influence in pool?
- If they lost all of their pool skills and experience today, and could take the same from another player, who would that be?
- What is in their bag?
- Do they really think they can win another major championship?
- If they had to give a retirement date right now, when would it be, and what would they do after retirement?
- If they knew for a fact that they couldn't fail, what would they choose to do?

That should get you started.

Thanks! Great questions

Anyone else? I'm also looking for questions typically not asked... ones that reveal to their fans, more about them on a personal level.

Obviously doesn't even have to be pool related.:D

Johnnyt
03-31-2011, 09:07 AM
Does it start at 12 noon est? Johnnyt

justadub
03-31-2011, 09:19 AM
How about asking Earl what he thought of Joe Rogans imitation? We've heard that he liked it, but it might be cool to hear the actual response from the man himself.

Not a terribly important issue, but if you've got time with the man and are looking for material, I think it'd be interesting.

RobertR
03-31-2011, 09:41 AM
Thanks! Great questions

Anyone else? I'm also looking for questions typically not asked... ones that reveal to their fans, more about them on a personal level.

Obviously doesn't even have to be pool related.:D

Well, I'd be interested to hear Johnny and Nick's view on Earl and whether or not he's pool's FATAL FLAW. :D

Scott Lee
03-31-2011, 10:20 AM
Greg...I think what you're doing is great, and look forward to seeing it. On the other hand, I don't believe there is the true animosity suggested by Mark, between JA and ES. After all, they traveled together, worked together, slept in the same motel rooms, and ate together for at least a year or two, during the "Legends & Champions Tour". This is a made-for-tv match, and I believe it will be a great one! jmo :grin:

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Mark is not kidding when he says that Earl and Johnny truely do not like each other and each one want's to beat each other's a$$.:D So it should be a great event. Remember these guys are going to be wearing mic's on them, so it should be a very entertaining matchup!

Greg

"CaliRed".
03-31-2011, 12:05 PM
Just killing a bit of time before picking up Nick Varner from the airport. Met Johnny and Earl at the airport a few minutes ago. Earls demeanor was that of one who just woke up, or is just grumpy, or who been on a 4 hour flight or so and not been able to smoke.:grin: I know what that feels like.

Johnny on the other hand, was in a good mood, joking, and seemed ready to "get it on"!

Seems everyone had their luggage, so major problems. Will meet up with later when I take Nick down to Lincoln. For those of you with a nagging thirst of knowledge about the great state of Nebraska... Lincoln is our State Capital and is about 40 miles west of Omaha.

I'll update later.

stormshadow1
03-31-2011, 12:09 PM
Thanks for the update.Very cool.Please keep us all posted.

Keith

Tennesseejoe
03-31-2011, 12:32 PM
Ask each of them for this match, what are their table preferences and why,ie., cloth, pocket size, table size, ball preference.

JesseAllred
03-31-2011, 03:54 PM
Greg...I think what you're doing is great, and look forward to seeing it. On the other hand, I don't believe there is the true animosity suggested by Mark, between JA and ES. After all, they traveled together, worked together, slept in the same motel rooms, and ate together for at least a year or two, during the "Legends & Champions Tour". This is a made-for-tv match, and I believe it will be a great one! jmo :grin:

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Scott, traveling and working together is a good way to start to hate each other. I wouldn't be surprised if the Legends & Champions tour was what solidified the animosity.

Celtic
03-31-2011, 04:00 PM
Remember these guys are going to be wearing mic's on them, so it should be a very entertaining matchup!

AKA: "We are putting a mic on Earl so that all of his antics and disrespect can be easily heard. For all the *****ing and whining that will no doubt take place on AZB due to this match we are actually marketing these antics as one of the main key parts of the entertainment of the match. So buy up the PvP, watch Earl blow a gasket, and then you get to entertain yourself telling everyone on AZB how much of an ass you think Earl is!"

8&snap
03-31-2011, 05:04 PM
AKA: "We are putting a mic on Earl so that all of his antics and disrespect can be easily heard. For all the *****ing and whining that will no doubt take place on AZB due to this match we are actually marketing these antics as one of the main key parts of the entertainment of the match. So buy up the PvP, watch Earl blow a gasket, and then you get to entertain yourself telling everyone on AZB how much of an ass you think Earl is!"

Old news is No news

jimmy-leggs
03-31-2011, 05:27 PM
I dont get this match,Earl and Johnny I thought were best buddies.I remember when they played in a tourny in Calgary here,Earl was rooming with Johnny.I ran into Earl,Johnny,Alex P. in the parking lot and they were giggling like school kids.
Do not get it!

"CaliRed".
03-31-2011, 07:02 PM

I would appreciate it if you could respect my simple wishes in my own thread
I respectfully ask that this thread not turn into another one of the other 30 threads about Earl's behavior. That's been done to death, so if you feel the urge to keep harping on that, please use the other threads to do so.

I made the comment about the fact they are to be mic'ed up and that it should be entertaining, because this the 1st stream I can remember, that had 2 players mic'ed up. Having 2 people that have a high likelyhood of having some banter back and forth would be entertaining.

I"ve moved on from the Shane/Earl match. That's been done to death. If the same thing happens in this match, feel free to talk about it, but this thread is about a match that hasn't even happened yet.

scrappy
03-31-2011, 07:14 PM

give it a rest already

:boring:

"CaliRed".
03-31-2011, 07:18 PM
Well, in a way my night is done now, but in another my night is just starting.

I picked up Nick Varner from the Omaha airport and we drove the 40 miles to Lincoln. He had a couple of heavy ass boxes, that had all lot of his cue line in them. We had a great conversation during our ride... we're both just a couple of laid back farm boys who happen to share a love for pool. Difference is, one of them is a legend in the game, and the other is hack:D

Once we got to the hotel, Nick came up to Mark's room and Mark was trying to pull the trigger on a one of his cues he's been eying for some time. Johnny stopped by and gave his feelings on the match up.

We were running behind schedule for a 6:00 appt and went down to the lobby, where I talked with Earl for a bit.

We shot the sh1t for a while and Bob (one of the guys involved in setting up the match in Lincoln) invited everyone back to his place to have some pizza. Pretty cool that a guy who is a league player, got to have several legends of pool, in his house sitting around jawing about everything.

Had a good time there, and would have loved sitting around there the rest of the night, but had to come back to get in a quick nap, then get up and start editing together something to show you guys.

I should have something up by morning. It's not going to be some glossy slick production, as I just don't have the time to work on it. Working with High Definition video is very time consuming, due to the size of the files.

Tomorrow, the table should be brought down around 2:00, they'll get that all setup and Friday night will be their only chance to hit balls around and get used to the table.

Should be a great match up, due to the 3 disciplines of the game being played and it being played by 2 great players of the last 30+ years.

Scott Lee
03-31-2011, 07:19 PM
I agree with you Greg! One big difference, imo, is the fact that this match will be ref'd by an official referee. I'm guessing there will be way less "schenanigans" by the players...or the audience...both good things! Having Buddy and Nick commentate is the icing on the cake! This will be a great match! Thanks for your part (whatever it was) in making this happen!

Scott Lee

Celtic
03-31-2011, 07:31 PM
I would appreciate it if you could respect my simple wishes in my own thread.

What wishes? You seem to be a key part of this match and this match is simply a setup at Earl's expense. I am not attacking Earl in the least, he is the pawn in this whole thing. You and the rest of the people setting this match know full well what is going to happen and come monday morning there is going to be alot of posts about Earl here on these forums. I personally like Earl and would rather not see people take advantage of him and when someone says "we are going to have them mic'd up so this should be real entertaining" I simply took that for exactly what was truly meant. Sorry I did not stay tounge in cheek right along with you...

I think alot of people setting this up are hoping for a really good "show" and I don't think that "show" is expected to be on the table.

Fatboy
03-31-2011, 09:18 PM
He is gonna imitate Big John McCarthy!!

I met him a few times, hell of a nice guy. I actually forgot about him until you said his name. I have his phone number, we had him on the boxing radio show I used to own a couple times. I was never on the air. I just booked guests and was the executive producer.

The Earl/JA match will be interesting.

tyre74
03-31-2011, 11:33 PM
like i said before never again will i support earls antics and disrespect to this game therefore i will not purchase this event which should be a great one no one shld wanna see him much less pay him to act this way

westcoast
04-01-2011, 07:38 AM
Which games (8 ball, 10 ball, straight) on which days?

duker
04-01-2011, 09:20 AM
like i said before never again will i support earls antics and disrespect to this game therefore i will not purchase this event which should be a great one no one shld wanna see him much less pay him to act this way

To each his own. Everyone knows what to expect and it's called " Entertainment " I was always a big fan of Earl and I learned a lot of knowledge over the years playing against him and also watching him play as much as I could. IMO Earl has more God given talent then most of the top players. Sure, I don't approve of the way he acts sometimes, but I would never miss a chance to see him play. He could have done so much to the Pool World, but Earl is Earl and he's not going to change for anyone, and he'll let you know that. But the bottom line is people go to watch him because you never know what he will do next. Earl and Johnny are most likely in the top ten of the best players in the game in the past 20 years. As far as " Bad Blood " this is a marketing ploy, but that caption doesn't bother me. There are not many PPV matches that I have missed, whether I really liked the 2 players that are playing or not. I think when these people started streaming free Pool or PPV is the " Best thing since sliced bread " as they say. I support them 100 %..all of them, and I think more people should support them also, and many do. All of the PPV prices that are charged, are really reasonable, when gas is almost $ 4.00 a gallon, I couldn't drive very far to go watch a tournament, and I used to go to many of them, so for my $25.00, I get a lot more back in return. I would also like to give props to the Accu-Stats, as they were the Pioneers in this industry of bringing great Pool matches to us via of Recording, and set the path for the great people, who for the love of the game that followed after them, and bring streaming Pool to us every weekend, and the best part is, all some of them ask for are small donations or for us to patronize the sponsors. I know I got carried away with this post, but I just have a high passion for the game I love, and has been so good to me. I feel my $25.00 for this Match is money well spent. Like I said, to each his own, and it's called " ENTERTAINMENT "