PDA

View Full Version : Time to Give Thanks

Complex13
03-31-2011, 01:03 PM
This past weekend at the IOMA Valley state tournament I finished in the top ten in singles and we finished 9-12th in teams. That is the highest finish in either category in the six years I've been playing league.

Coming to this board has been a big help. I've been able to associate with and learn from some of the best instructors in the game right here on this board. I would like to thank a few individuals in particular whose teachings have helped me out greatly.

Dr. Dave - Thanks for all of the online videos that got me thinking about all of things that go on in a shot. These really helped me with position play.

Jimmy Reid and Joe Tucker - I use a combination of Jimmy's exact equal opposite method and Joe's numbering system to aim. I sort of made my own hybrid aiming system from using both of their systems. I wouldn't have been able to do that without first having their insight. Joe's practice routines are excellent. I put little white dot stickers all over my table to mark the spots for Joe's exercises so that I don't have to measure them out all of the time. I get a lot of questions about it when people come over.

The Beard - Freddy's book and videos have helped me become 10 times better at banking. This past weekend I almost felt more comfortable banking balls in than shooting them straight in. I used a few banks to complete runouts and finish some matches. I got more than a few comments by opponents on my banks. I shot one bank to win a match and one person said they wish they had that on tape so they could submit it to ESPN, LOL!! I will try to diagram that in this thread with the CueTable app. (If I can figure out how).

DeadAim - Don't know who you are, but thanks for posting the "Kicking Academy". I've spent about a month so far going through these systems.

I would also like to thank my team mates, especially ChefJeff in particular, for the support leading up to, and during the tournament. It's hard not to believe in yourself when everyone surrounding you gives you that kind of support.

Without any of the above, I would have never been able to get as far as I did... THANK YOU!!

Bank Shot - I was trying to leave myself closer to the rail to cross bank it in the corner but I came too far out. I wasn't sure what to do but the thought came to me that I could use the rail to get back to the correct side. I was joking with my opponent a few seconds before that I had no idea what to do with that. I told him what I was going to try, lined it up, and it dropped. Easy 8 ball to win the set. Banks that Don't Go, But Do Baby!!:

http://CueTable.com/P/?@2HXQg2OSrg3POFJ2jSrg3jbqm3jbSl3jbKp3kOFJ2kbwX2kQ gK2kQXM@

jingle
03-31-2011, 01:28 PM
Congrats on your good finishes! It sounds like you have put a lot of time/effort into improving, glad to see it has paid off for you.

nathandumoulin
03-31-2011, 01:45 PM
Bank Shot - I was trying to leave myself closer to the rail to cross bank it in the corner but I came too far out. I wasn't sure what to do but the thought came to me that I could use the rail to get back to the correct side. I was joking with my opponent a few seconds before that I had no idea what to do with that. I told him what I was going to try, lined it up, and it dropped. Easy 8 ball to win the set. Banks that Don't Go, But Do Baby!!:

lol, that shot is insane! Well done. :thumbup:

One question though. Why didn't you just soft roll into the right side of the 15 ball and hook him solid on the 8? The ultra low percentage shot is fun, but for the set the safe may have been the better option (although trickier than it looks as speed control is tough).

Then again, you made the kick-back-cut-long-bank, so why debate it? :p

Complex13
03-31-2011, 01:56 PM
lol, that shot is insane! Well done. :thumbup:

One question though. Why didn't you just soft roll into the right side of the 15 ball and hook him solid on the 8? The ultra low percentage shot is fun, but for the set the safe may have been the better option (although trickier than it looks as speed control is tough).

Then again, you made the kick-back-cut-long-bank, so why debate it? :p

I thought about it. The tables were faster than what I am used to and balls seemed to get a huge bounce off the rail and I wasn't comfortable trying to baby the cue ball down only for my object ball to get a huge bounce and leave him a straight in 8 ball shot from 6 inches away.

I was thinking that if both the shot and the safety were difficult, go ahead and go offensive. At that point in the match I was up 2-0 race to 3 so I had a little insurance.