PDA

View Full Version : What things outside of "common practices" that improves your game

CarlB
04-01-2011, 02:11 AM
Hey AZB,

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas about these things. Different ideas, events, or practices that help improve your game other than normal practice, drills, etc.

For example, I just became a AZB Member. :D I wonder if that will improve my game? lol. Just kidding, but who knows.

So lets hear the unconventional ideas of how to improve your game.

Meditation anyone?
Eating a certain food before a match or tournament.
Superstitions?

Carl

BHQ
04-01-2011, 02:34 AM
Hey AZB,

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas about these things. Different ideas, events, or practices that help improve your game other than normal practice, drills, etc.

For example, I just became a AZB Member. :D I wonder if that will improve my game? lol. Just kidding, but who knows.

Meditation anyone?
Superstitions?

Carl
4 coors lights :thumbup:

catpool9
04-01-2011, 02:52 AM
Hey AZB,

Meditation anyone?
Superstitions?

Carl

Well, here it is, I have played shots in my mind while riding down the road, to a tournament, or to play someone for money, certain shots , like back when you had to shoot spot shot's, I would shoot them over - n- over in my mind while riding down the road, and when I got there, I made all of them, or if I had combo shot's, I made them easier.

Seems to me playing pool in your mind is a great way to preform your abilitys and keep your frame of mind at it's best!, it does work , and has it's advantages.

In other words, I have and do shoot shots in my mind, and play as good as practicing, but that come's with the years of actually playing the game.

Hit Some Balls!:grin:

David Harcrow

CarlB
04-01-2011, 02:57 AM
Great ideas...

I have heard some people claim that they "can't" shoot pool unless they drink.

Visualization is a GREAT method for making shots. Before I actually take a shot, I picture what it is supposed to look like going in. Perhaps picturing it in my mind earlier in the day would work too.

Carl

BHQ
04-01-2011, 03:00 AM
Great ideas...

I have heard some people claim that they "can't" shoot pool unless they drink.

Carl
just relaxes me enough to not OVERthink, just play :thumbup:

fabfastfredyy
04-01-2011, 03:07 AM
Fruit juices. I like pineapple or apple. I like pineapple best in those small aluminum cans. Yummy. Once, I chugged 3, got a brain freeze and ran around the poolroom knocking down every house cue.

For long hour practice sessions I start during opening hours because I get the entire hall to myself. Sometimes, I'll call the owner and start really early. I can go 8hrs+ without sitting so I have really comfy shoes, its probably your most important component. Actually it truly is the most important. I had these Airwalks from Nike a few years ago with replaced soles....so I doubled up on comfort. I hate to advertise anything, but I feel this product is a life saver, so If you like pool, get some high quality tennis shoes. Buy extra cushion if you have to. I have air bubble tennis shoes now, its the nuts (max). I'm pretty broke or I would be all over those "walk's".

BHQ
04-01-2011, 03:10 AM
Hey AZB,

Meditation anyone?
Superstitions?

Carl

to quit building cues
my game went from 6 days a week before building cues to 1 if i'm lucky
not that i ever had much game anyway, but i was hooked
played as much as i could

Andrei8
04-01-2011, 03:55 AM
Some of them may be "common practice" to some people, like:

I also picture a shot in my mind before i take it.

But others, may not:

-I never carry anything in my pockets (like keys, phone, etc) so i can easily lean against the table.
-I never drink alcohol in competitions or when i play for money.
-I never make casual conversation, in such cases.
-It helps if look around the room to clear my vision.
-If i get to choose the table, i choose it next to an open window. Fresh air always helps.
-I never eat before important games.

And i could find many others but i have to attend a stupid meeting now :)

fabfastfredyy
04-01-2011, 03:58 AM

But others, may not:

-I never carry anything in my pockets (like keys, phone, etc) so i can easily lean against the table.
-If i get to choose the table, i choose it next to an open window. Fresh air always helps.

Andrei melts when he contacts the sun rays.

Andrei8
04-01-2011, 04:09 AM
Sometimes...funny though.

CarlB
04-01-2011, 04:15 AM

But others, may not:

Great ideas...what i like the most is that you seem to know better than most what the optimum conditions are for your game. Thats a big advantage already. Thanks for posting.

Carl

Jimbojim
04-01-2011, 04:38 AM
I watch a lot of good pool on the internet and 2 great outcomes follow:

I learn new shots

I validate the ones I know

Really important.

randyg
04-01-2011, 04:41 AM
I have to say that being around great students and their Instructors every day sure helps my game.
randyg

CarlB
04-01-2011, 04:41 AM
I watch a lot of good pool on the internet and 2 great outcomes follow:

I learn new shots

I validate the ones I know

Really important.

good stuff jimbo...

I watch a TON of pool over here, well...what I can get my hands on anyway. Its all I can do since I can't play where I am currently.

Carl

Tramp Steamer
04-01-2011, 07:44 AM
It's the same now as it was in Mr. Lassiter's time. Look, listen, practice, play, and gamble if you're so inclined.
As to the play part, try to engage someone who is equal to, or better than you. And, learn One Pocket. You'll thank me later. :)

PickPocket
04-01-2011, 08:18 AM
Day before yesterday. Me = choke artist.
Yesterday watched several of the instructional videos/10 ball matches + more here from our great forum, and when I played, I just couldn't miss (unless hooked hard, which he did a few times wisely!) It helped a lot. Plus I just played for fun with no expectations for myself. + a couple a ice cold beers! That turned out was the perfect recipe for a great night shooting a few 8's in.:thumbup:

Philthepockets
04-01-2011, 08:37 AM
I have always believed you can improve away from the practice table almost as much as on the table, visualization sessions can help quite a bit. Just by sitting quietly and replaying the shots, stroke etc in your mind will continue your learning process.
There is a brief article here that supports this theory.
http://www.brainskills.co.uk/LearningMotorSkills.html