PDA

View Full Version : Things that irritate you on the table.

CarlB
04-01-2011, 04:22 AM
AZB,

A while ago I think there was a thread about ettiquette where somethings that fit this would have been mentioned.

I want to know the things that irritate you when your playing pool, your peeves so to speak.

I Can't stand when someone buys their own chalk...and they think they are being cool by getting a off color like tan, black, etc. People should understand that the chalk should match the cloth. The reason for different color chalk is for different felt/cloth colors. Thats it, nothing more. When someone uses tan/black/teal/whatever color chalk and it streaks up the cloth on the table, it irritates me to no end.

Just one to get things rolling. Lets hear it guys.

Carl

Z3R0
04-01-2011, 04:30 AM
When people lean against the table.
When people set their drinks or cigs on the table to shoot.
When people won't stop crowding the table and get the hell out of the way so you can shoot.
When people stand directly in front of the pocket your aiming for.
When people touch the felt while you're shooting, or just before you shoot.

Andrei8
04-01-2011, 04:33 AM
Myself:
-sweaty hands
-anxiety
-when I talk to much
-when I am distracted
-time pressure
Opponent:
-when he talks to much
-when he brags
-Especially when I see an opponent complaining about missed shots although he's not good enough or he attempts, from the very beginning, an 'impossible' shot.
-Also, very annoying, when he starts talking to somebody else, or on the phone and leaves me hanging around with the cue stick in my hand.
Table:
-dirty (rarely)
-unbalanced, obviously
-these are common issues for everyone so i won't list them all.
Environment:
-noise (loud tvs/radios, talking, scandals)
-smoke
-heat
-crowded

CarlB
04-01-2011, 04:34 AM
Nice ones...I especially hate the "When people stand directly in front of the pocket your aiming for."

I notice more and more people doing this and you HAVE to realize that its a stupid, disrespectful thing to do. There is no way someone is so stupid to think that this is an appropriate thing to do while your opponent is shooting.

Wait...I have to stop myself, I have met some people that may be that retarded.

Thanks for the post Z3RO.

Carl

CarlB
04-01-2011, 04:35 AM
Myself:
-sweaty hands
-anxiety
-when I talk to much
-when I am distracted
-time pressure
Opponent:
-when he talks to much
-when he brags
-Especially when I see an opponent complaining about missed shots although he's not good enough or he attempts, from the very beginning, an 'impossible' shot.
-Also, very annoying, when he starts talking to somebody else, or on the phone and leaves me hanging around with the cue stick in my hand.
Table:
-dirty (rarely)
-unbalanced, obviously
-these are common issues for everyone so i won't list them all.
Environment:
-noise (loud tvs/radios, talking, scandals)
-smoke
-heat
-crowded

Thanks for the input...and welcome to the forums!

Carl

Z3R0
04-01-2011, 04:37 AM
Nice ones...I especially hate the "When people stand directly in front of the pocket your aiming for."

I notice more and more people doing this and you HAVE to realize that its a stupid, disrespectful thing to do. There is no way someone is so stupid to think that this is an appropriate thing to do while your opponent is shooting.

Wait...I have to stop myself, I have met some people that may be that retarded.

Thanks for the post Z3RO.

Carl

Out of common courtesy, my father always told me to stand back away from the table when I'm not shooting, and to not stand in front of someone's los(line-of-sight) when they're shooting. It can be pretty distracting sometime.

I also hate when people "drop" the cue ball on the table, or don't have enough sense to not break with bottom english so the cue ball doesn't go flying off somewhere.

Andrei8
04-01-2011, 04:55 AM
Friends who refuse to play for money, a symbolic amount of course because of their "principles". It's not like we're hustling each other but they won't play for a dime...
However, if we play for 7 hours straight, they keep the score with atomic precision.
It's 15-10...And I'm like No, it's 15-11. No man, you got 10...
So i say, what's the point...you can score 100-0 as long as we're not playing for anything.

I usually use these matches to practice difficult shots, banks, rails. If I miss and lose there's no biggie.

14oneman
04-01-2011, 05:05 AM
1-Music playing, or any background noise for that matter. I like to hear nothing more than the clicking of the balls, and low whispers.

2-People that stand and gawk at you while you're shooting, especially in your line of sight.

3-People standing around bullshitting, taking up space around the table, and they aren't even shooting pool.

4-People who yap constantly while they're shooting.

I'm sure there's more. LOL!!!

asbani
04-01-2011, 05:09 AM
when my opponents chats/speak to people around him while it's my turn.
when my opponents stands real close to the table while its my turn (he should have a seat)
when my opponents puts down his cue on my sigh while i'm shooting the last ball and if I miss he grabs it back... example on 9ball, I'm on good position on the 9ball, he puts his cue stick down and make a noise, or if playing 8ball, I'm on the 8.

these are the only things really....

dougster26
04-01-2011, 05:11 AM
People walking by your table when you are shooting

The damn juke box -- especially the Rap music

When paying time and it's $17.10 and they don't drop the .10 cents

Andrei8
04-01-2011, 05:12 AM
Now that i take a better look at the topic title "...ON the table" i remember:

Sometimes the light can really be an annoying issue.

Apocalypse2017
04-01-2011, 05:33 AM
mostly at bars...I hate when someone puts the cue away or says "good game" before the game is over.

one time (at band camp) a kid leaves me a hard shot and shakes my hand and says good game, then expects me to shoot the 8ball:confused:

Jimbojim
04-01-2011, 06:37 AM
mostly at bars...I hate when someone puts the cue away or says "good game" before the game is over.

one time (at band camp) a kid leaves me a hard shot and shakes my hand and says good game, then expects me to shoot the 8ball:confused:

WTF??

I hate loud music.
I hate it when I concede the rack and the guy shoots the 9-ball anyway. I'm like 'dude, I gave it to you especially so you don't have to shoot it, what's the point'
I hate it when I scratch on the break (yeah, I do) and my opponent says *FOUL*...I'm not stupid, I realize that you have ball in hand.
I always laugh when somebody tells me that pool paid for their college while gambling at the arcade and they can't draw the whitey.

NewStroke
04-01-2011, 06:43 AM
I am sure this bothers some, but I like to let one rip silently when you miss and let your opponent walk into it.

My biggest is when people feel they need to bore a hole in the chalk with their cue.

Jimbojim
04-01-2011, 07:18 AM
I am sure this bothers some, but I like to let one rip silently when you miss and let your opponent walk into it.

My biggest is when people feel they need to bore a hole in the chalk with their cue.

Lol, do you really do that?

NewStroke
04-01-2011, 07:22 AM
Lol, do you really do that?

It has happened "accidentally".

justadub
04-01-2011, 07:26 AM
It's been siad before, but the one thing that really frosts my butt is having people standing around the table, and having to keep saying "excuse me" or whatever to find room to shoot.

If there is a table, it's a pool room. If people are playing on that table, they need to have room to play. There is any amount of room AWAY from the table to stand and chat.

I'm not one to get all worked up about noise and such in a room. But I do kinda want to be able to walk around the table that I'm playing on without obstruction. People have no consideration. And it's even worse when these people are people who you not only know, but they are pool players, too!

NewStroke
04-01-2011, 07:27 AM
It's been siad before, but the one thing that really frosts my butt is having people standing around the table, and having to keep saying "excuse me" or whatever to find room to shoot.

If there is a table, it's a pool room. If people are playing on that table, they need to have room to play. There is any amount of room AWAY from the table to stand and chat.

I'm not one to get all worked up about noise and such in a room. But I do kinda want to be able to walk around the table that I'm playing on without obstruction. People have no consideration. And it's even worse when these people are people who you not only know, but they are pool players, too!

I didn't know there were enough people left in Maine to have to say excuse me. :)

justadub
04-01-2011, 07:29 AM
I didn't know there were enough people left in Maine to have to say excuse me. :)

Depends on the time of year. The people "from away" are due back any time now.

(Of course as I say that we are about to get another 12-18 inches of snow... sheesh.)

Tramp Steamer
04-01-2011, 07:31 AM
Besides the occasional fart, belch, or flicked booger, what really gets me is when some good looking girl walks up behind me and presses her boobs into my back. That just turns my stomach. :)

poolsnake69
04-01-2011, 07:41 AM
Dirty balls ,,, POOL BALLS ! ,,,before anyone jumps all over that one . You know ,when the cue ball looks and feels like its been rolling around in the parking lot for a few days .

Mr Hoppe
04-01-2011, 07:41 AM
I can't understand why people continually put the chalk cube upside down on the rails.

swest
04-01-2011, 07:46 AM
I can't understand why people continually put the chalk cube upside down on the rails.

You beat me to it. One of my biggest gripes.

JolietJames
04-01-2011, 07:48 AM
It's the little things.
When people place the chalk on its side or upside down on the rail after chalking their cue.
People who miss, grab the chalk and walk away with it like they're the only ones who need it.
People who use talk and get it all over the place.
People who rack 8 ball with the 8 on top of the balls and roll the rack forward then to a quick stop so the 8 drops into position on its own -that's just plain gay.
Not racking on the spot.
People who sit in MY chair to watch the match.
I'm sure there are more.

NewStroke
04-01-2011, 07:50 AM
I LOVE when people smack the cue ball down on the head ball of the rack to make the balls touch more.

Tramp Steamer
04-01-2011, 07:56 AM
Okay, I just thought of one and this is for real. Every now and then someone will walk up to their table with a tray of balls, turn the tray over, and drop them from a height of a foot or so. You can hear it all across the poolroom.
Very disrespectful to the game and potentially damaging to the table cloth. :angry:

schlangen27
04-01-2011, 08:43 AM
when i miss and that is a lot so i am irritated a lot. The chalk upside down bugs the heck out of me.

NewStroke
04-01-2011, 08:44 AM
When a person uses so much hand chalk the table ends up looking like a gymnast just got done gyrating on it.

akaTrigger
04-01-2011, 09:24 AM
Upside down chalk. Really people! Come on! Do you care for all your pride and joys like this? :angry:

The Schwartz
04-01-2011, 09:37 AM
Bangers, lil Wayne "music", or a combination of the two

TXsouthpaw
04-01-2011, 09:43 AM
Upside down chalk!

Qjunkie
04-01-2011, 09:44 AM
I hate it when people dump the balls from the tray onto the table.

I hate it when people roll a house cue on the table to see if it straight. Last night I watched a guy collect several cues off the rack then proceeded to roll each one.

cigardave
04-01-2011, 09:46 AM
Lint (Johnny Archer's answer)

mm4pool
04-01-2011, 09:47 AM

and tap it 2 or 3 times as they set it down wrong side up.:angry:

Mike

donuteric
04-01-2011, 09:49 AM
One poster mentioned it. When somebody misses a shot, he/she then takes one chalk and walks away. This annoys the hell outta me. Even worse, this somebody will continue doing so until there ain't any chalks left on the table.

mm4pool
04-01-2011, 09:50 AM
since music was mentioned, there are a couple of bars where we play league that has karaoke on league night, nothing worse when you are on the money ball than to have to fade a mariah wanna be howling at the moon right in mid stroke.:(

Mike

daimion
04-01-2011, 09:54 AM
personally :
-improper stance
-talking
-generally not in the game (to save time in writing this)
-if there is something bothering me slightly i have to correct it otherwise i shark myself out for the entirety of playing

opponent:
-when they play 21 fricken' questions with you while you are shooting or giving you their life history in a cliff notes yet far to long rundown
-personal hygiene
-talking in general (only 1 person i play with where we go hours with not even saying as much as a word to each other, love that)
-asinine attempt at shots , which rearranges the furniture in turn leaving me to assemble a new method to run out.
-cell phone calls/texting/facebooking
-being anywhere near the table while i am shooting
-chalking their cue while its my turn at the table(calm down buddy you wont miscue from the chair while im shooting) as they stand right next to you
-line of sight, or all up in my shiz!
-heckling me or themselves

-cleanliness of table/seating
-odors
-other participant's actions/conversations
-gawking
-personal space to shoot/sit+

skeptic
04-01-2011, 10:00 AM
I Can't stand when someone buys their own chalk...and they think they are being cool by getting a off color like tan, black, etc. People should understand that the chalk should match the cloth. The reason for different color chalk is for different felt/cloth colors. Thats it, nothing more. When someone uses tan/black/teal/whatever color chalk and it streaks up the cloth on the table, it irritates me to no end.

This - although where I play it's usually because they have different color cloth on their home table. No problem - just don't use your personal chalk at the bar!

Tapping the head ball with the cue while racking.

Music or a game on a TV that is too loud.

pt109
04-01-2011, 10:06 AM
When I shoot, even playing safe, I like to see the balls come to a rest.
So, I feel my opponent shouldn't come to the table till I leave.
I want to see what the balls do and how they settle...
..it gives you info on how the table plays and influences your touch on future shots.
I mentioned it to a player and he said "What's the difference?You took
your shot."
I said "I can still scratch while the balls are moving.If you want to take
responsibility for my shot I'll start touching moving balls and you'll be
giving me ball in hand."

He conceded that point and later thanked me.

Derek
04-01-2011, 10:17 AM
Upside down chalk!

Ooo ooo ooo!! Add me to the list! Was the very first thing I thought of.

When I look across a pool room and see someone leaning heavily or sitting on a pool table. Really, c'mon, steel pipe to the knees for you. I even cringed one time when I was at a party in a local lodge and someone thought it was cute to let a baby crawl all over a ratty old bar box.

The guy who takes a tray of balls and dumps them on the table from a few inches above the slate.

Ultimately, the things that irritate me the most are the people who cannot respect the equipment.

daimion
04-01-2011, 10:26 AM
upside down chalk on the table. my heavens! just last night i had a friend over playing on my gc3 and every time he shoots he will put it upside down and have chalk all over my hands my shirt my forearms. he chalks between every shot and we played about 30 or so racks. my X1 cleaner is a week old and its already caked with chalk!

ne14tennis
04-01-2011, 10:45 AM
1. People that stand next to the pocket I'm shooting at or right next to me while I'm shooting.

2. People that use so much talc it leaves hand prints on the rails and cloth (I use none)

3. People that I can beat with ease asking me if I want a timeout during league play just because I'm taking my time for a shot. Unless you play better than I do, I don't really think you're going to help.

Tom In Cincy
04-01-2011, 10:58 AM
The only thing that really get my dander up, is no table available.
Everything else I can handle/accept.

No available table.... horrifying. :angry:

RogerChambers
04-01-2011, 11:09 AM
I am pretty much laid-back but it irritates me when...

* An opponent disrespects the table or equipment.
* Tries to force someone into a money game.
* Brags about beating someone even when the win was not from their skills. e.g. Out of four games of nine ball, the loser made 32 of the 36 balls and constantly hung or missed the 9.
* Intentionally disrespects someone.

As for the crowd, I hate it when....

* Two people are standing right next to one another and have to talk real loud or scream.

And finally...

Besides a Bad Loser, I cannot stand a Bad Winner. If you win like a Champion; then lose like a Champion.

justadub
04-01-2011, 11:21 AM
AZB,

Carl

Funny about this, at least to me. Here where I live, all the tables have green cloth, every one of them. And every one of them provides blue chalk.

Just seemed normal to me.

Interesting.

Terry Ardeno
04-01-2011, 11:36 AM
Upside down chalk gets turned back over the 1st chance I get, but that is nothing compared to shooting w/ a guy who hasn't washed in, oh, say a week or so. Good enough guys, but human stink bombs.

I have two guys who I like as friends but who I dread when they ask to come over & shoot. One is filthy from working on a farm all day and who I'd lay 50-1 showers only once per month, if that. The other smells like he, how to put this delicately.....never used toilet paper. When either of these two fellas leave, EVERYTHING gets a good cleaning, including the carpet getting scrubbed. The odor has lasted well into the next day at times. :eek:

I haven't played with either of these guys in quite a while now, but I'll always remember them.....

While I have an open post, I might as well mention the guy who, after knocking the rails black & blue from just BLASTING at a group of balls, will watch all the multi-colored spheres zinging around the table for 10 seconds or so with his mouth agape & eyes wide open and, upon seeing a ball dribble in, will let out a "Yessss!" ala Marv Albert. This type of player will also just flat out blast an object ball in & after snow richochetes off of every rail twice, if the cue ball somehow manages to line him up on another ball, once again, he shouts out the aforementioned "Yesss!", as if he planned it all along. This guy will also make a ball but stay down in his stance 4-5 seconds after the ball was pocketed as if frozen in time. Or, when it's his turn at the table, he'ill just survey the table from the chair for a minute or so with a frown that would rival Ms. Corr trying to figure out a calculus problem. Nothing harmful, just kinda annoying.

And one more thing....every one of us in this thread will keep racking them up! :confused::D

14oneman
04-01-2011, 11:39 AM
I know another pet peeve.

I hate it when someone chalks the living shit out of their cue, to the point where blue dust is forming a cloud in the air, and then proceed to blow real hard on the tip to get the excess off, or worse yet, bang the cue on the table to remove it.

WTF!!!! If I live to be 100, I'll never understand that one!

beerpressure
04-01-2011, 11:48 AM
-Talc powder

Opponant walks up to table to chalk cue when it's not their turn, and just stands right next to the table chalking the tip.

Apocalypse2017
04-01-2011, 11:52 AM
It's the little things.
When people place the chalk on its side or upside down on the rail after chalking their cue.
People who miss, grab the chalk and walk away with it like they're the only ones who need it.
People who rack 8 ball with the 8 on top of the balls and roll the rack forward then to a quick stop so the 8 drops into position on its own -that's just plain gay.
Not racking on the spot.
I'm sure there are more.

I hate it when people roll a house cue on the table to see if it straight. Last night I watched a guy collect several cues off the rack then proceeded to roll each one.

:rotflmao1::rotflmao1::rotflmao1:

Yup! /\/\/\ can't stand any of these.

TXsouthpaw
04-01-2011, 12:00 PM
Guys who can't make a ball but have to study every shot like it's
The us open. It's not rocket science fool just get up and shoot. And if u
Don't see the shot, staring at it for 30 minutes isn't gonna make u see it either

stouter2386
04-01-2011, 12:43 PM
[QUOTE=NewStroke;2941753]I am sure this bothers some, but I like to let one rip silently when you miss and let your opponent walk into it.

HAHAHAHA You just made my day

schlangen27
04-01-2011, 01:05 PM
The bar that i shoot at a lot the tables are right in front the bar when they are busy it seems like what ever table is being played on there is a flock of people around it. Then when you move to the other table it will be packed around that one.About every shot you have to ask someone to move it gets old very fast.

Myrtle_04
04-01-2011, 01:10 PM
I also don't like it when people overuse hand chalk and leave hand prints on the the cloth and rails.

it's annoyin when people chalk their cues and then leave the change facedown so after I shot on the rails I have a blue mark on my hand.

Underclocked
04-01-2011, 01:45 PM
People wearing headphones or ear muffs. The sounds are part of the game, whether from the table or elsewhere! Deal with the sounds and pay attention.

Earl would really pizz me off but he's one heckuva player in spite of his craziness.

It doesn't help my attitude that I've lost a LOT of my own hearing ability... and everyone (aside from the insane one previously mentioned) I've seen playing when wearing headphones/muffs seems to be a complete dork that can't play well even if paying attention.

And the usual things that have already been covered such as overuse of hand talc, banging balls, as well as ridiculously slow players.

I have to add another thing that didn't irritate me so much as amuse me. I used to occasionally encounter a college math professor that did weird things to mess with you mind when playing in tournaments. Things like wrapping a section of his cue with bailing wire, or tie a ribbon around his cue, or have some bizarre piece of clothing on that was totally out of place with whatever else he might be wearing. His purpose was to have you thinking about that weird thing he brought to the scene rather than keeping your mind on the game at hand. Can't say that it worked but can't truly say that it didn't work at least some of the time. It was almost always funny if nothing else.

Guapo
04-01-2011, 02:28 PM
I understand most of the things listed in this thread.

The one that I don't understand is people getting irritated with opponents rolling house cues on the table to make sure it's straight. While I don't grab a handful of cues. I do grab the two that look the straightest from the rack and check them on the table.

What's wrong with wanting to play with a straight cue? Is there something my newby-self isn't seeing? Does this damage/dirty the equipment?

3RAILKICK
04-01-2011, 02:45 PM
from me.

When its real hot outside. And its real hot inside the pool hall-to the point where you leave a trail of sweat drops on the cloth for each shot. Sweat dripping off your nose while shooting affects concentration.

Socal in summer has its down side.

alphadog
04-01-2011, 04:38 PM
[/B]

WTF??

I hate loud music.
I hate it when I concede the rack and the guy shoots the 9-ball anyway. I'm like 'dude, I gave it to you especially so you don't have to shoot it, what's the point'
I hate it when I scratch on the break (yeah, I do) and my opponent says *FOUL*...I'm not stupid, I realize that you have ball in hand.
I always laugh when somebody tells me that pool paid for their college while gambling at the arcade and they can't draw the whitey.
It's whitey not the whitey

ssminn
04-01-2011, 04:43 PM
One thing gets me ticked off is when the girls on the next table start dancing, strip down to their bra and stop there. Damn, I didnt even get a picture.

mnorwood
04-01-2011, 04:49 PM
The thing that pisses me off the most is a place that has a juke box that loops the same three songs when someone isn't buying a song or when some metrosexual or chic comes in and puts sappy love country music on the juke box. My game immediately runs down my leg and becomes a stain on the carpet.

Lexicologist71
04-01-2011, 05:00 PM
People who reach for the chalk nearest you after they've missed. It's your turn now. They don't need it.

People who put the chalk on the table blue side down. It cruds up the table, my clothes, the balls, and my hands.

People who whack their house cue against the side of the table to knock off the 'excess' chalk.

People who tell me what to shoot next while I'm in the process of beating the snot out of them.

People who remind me what balls I can still shoot (in 8-ball) when I'm upset about getting the wrong leave on the right ball to run out.

People who don't know anything about carom shots advising me to take a shot that can't go in as they see it due to reality.

People who blame equipment for their failures.

People who don't even know the rules for the game they're playing and insist on arguing over the rules.

People who double hit the cueball and don't know how they did it and refuse to listen to an explanation.

People who think their scratching on the break has something to do with the rack being loose.

People who can't hit the apex ball on the break shot and blame the rack for their lousy break.

People who can't control their anger and throw stuff or break equipment.

People who cry after losing. Yes, there's a guy I used to play with in APA who threw tantrums and cried.

And all the other things listed. Proper pool etiquette is almost as broad a subject as social etiquette.

Stones
04-01-2011, 06:47 PM
People who think they know more about this game than I do.

That really irritates me.

J/K

Stones

SkyscraperChris
04-01-2011, 08:28 PM
Cuetec Cues are what irritate me. That is all!

Blue Hog ridr
04-01-2011, 09:07 PM
Played a couple Scotch 2 weeks ago. The girl uses red chalk in a pocket chalker which she leaves laying on the table. The offset way the chalk holder is made makes it so that when you set the holder on the table, the chalk is always face down.

Before we had 2 games in, the entire table was covered in red chalk on all 4 sides.

When it was my shot, I purposely went to the washroom and wetted a towel and wiped the entire table down before I shot. From a couple of good natured ribs while I was wiping the table, she didn't do it again.

So, I guess that goes the same as everyone else. I hate upside down chalk.

gunzby
04-01-2011, 09:46 PM
There are only a few things that aggravate me at the table

-Someone putting the chalk upside down on the table on purpose. I've noticed that some ppl do this every time they chalk and it aggravates the heck out of me.

-Talking to me while I am shooting.

-The only other thing that aggravates me has to do with ppl playing on other tables. It's the ones next to me that just stand there while waiting to shoot...getting in my way, or the ones raising hell.

Z3R0
04-01-2011, 09:55 PM
I really hate when people use a shit load of talcum and then leave it all over the table...

CarlB
04-01-2011, 10:03 PM
Thanks for ALL of the great replies guys. There are two main issues here that I am seeing amonst a lot of posts.

Hand Chalk: Is there a fix for this? Stop offering it and teach people to clean the shaft, clean their hands, or wear a glove? I hate when people use too much too...just a little where the cue lays would work fine. You do not need to act like you are getting ready for an olympic event.

Chalk Upside Down: I have always used my own chalk, I take it to the table with me, and take it off the table when I leave. I appreciate if my opponent would do the same, then, no chalk all over the rails. If they do not have chalk, I will make sure they have it at the table. I will always have a damp towel at my table to wipe the rails down every couple of games. It shows the owner you care for the equipment, and just generally shows good nature.

Carl

Ron F
04-01-2011, 10:17 PM

This bugs me too!!! :thumbup:

Ron F

Ron F
04-01-2011, 10:24 PM
Table rolls
Talkative opponents
Any kind of music other than what I like
Loud music
Teenagers
Babies crying
Loud talkers
Having ANYONE play on an adjacent table
Cheap bridges
No bridges
Cigarette or cigar smoke
Having a girlfriend present
My cell phone
My opponentís cell phone
Opponent not paying attention when Iím shooting
Expensive table time
Loud televisions in the room
People walking past the table
Partner games
Worn out cubes of chalk
Open shades during the day
Bathroom breaks
Poor lighting
Too hot in the room
An air vent blowing on me
Dead rails
Opponent calling obvious balls
Anything other than a GC
A broken scorer on a GC
Dirty tables
Dirty balls
Unpolished balls
Pocket liners
Cue ball on the rail
Cueing over a ball
Cueing over a ball with the bridge
Strong air fresheners
Dirty bathrooms
Slow play
Scoring beads for straight pool that are strung too close together

That's just a few.

Ron F

Altissimo15
04-01-2011, 10:30 PM
The only thing I reallllly don't like is when someone walks behind me when I am shooting! That just pisses me off. I could care less about talking,music, moving or what ever else, just don't walk behind me when I'm shooting.

Z3R0
04-01-2011, 11:17 PM
Thanks for ALL of the great replies guys. There are two main issues here that I am seeing amonst a lot of posts.

Hand Chalk: Is there a fix for this? Stop offering it and teach people to clean the shaft, clean their hands, or wear a glove? I hate when people use too much too...just a little where the cue lays would work fine. You do not need to act like you are getting ready for an olympic event.

Chalk Upside Down: I have always used my own chalk, I take it to the table with me, and take it off the table when I leave. I appreciate if my opponent would do the same, then, no chalk all over the rails. If they do not have chalk, I will make sure they have it at the table. I will always have a damp towel at my table to wipe the rails down every couple of games. It shows the owner you care for the equipment, and just generally shows good nature.

Carl

I can understand the practical use of hand chalk, especially when it comes to bar cues. But with all things, people need to use it in moderation.

Another peeve of mine is when someone takes the cue chalk and really grinds in down with every use. There's not really any reason to really ruin a thing of chalk during the course of one game.

CarlB
04-01-2011, 11:20 PM
OooO another good one, what about when someone puts the cue on the floor...chalk on the tip...then rolls the cue with their foot. LMFAO

It always makes me laugh at them a little.

Carl

Z3R0
04-01-2011, 11:43 PM
OooO another good one, what about when someone puts the cue on the floor...chalk on the tip...then rolls the cue with their foot. LMFAO

It always makes me laugh at them a little.

Carl

That's exactly what I'm talking about! I played this guy that did that after Every...Single...Shot. I was like, really? Why? lol

BrokeStroke
04-02-2011, 03:34 AM
All of this stuff is annoying. And all of this stuff happens EVERY TIME you shoot in a public place.

But here is a good one.
Youre playing in a club or bar (this doesnt happen often in actual pool rooms), you play safe on someone, then they start calling you names (use you imagination, or memory if its happened to you), tell you what "kind" of pool you are playing, then ask you why you are scared to shoot them (you know, after he runs 2 off and plays no position and misses the bank he went for when the ball was an easy cut into a corner.)

I hate it. I love it too. :wink:

CarlB
04-02-2011, 03:38 AM
OooO, you reminded me of another...When you playing the ever so famous "bar rules" and the 8 is in the kitchen...and the guy scratches on purpose. lmfao.

The same "kind" of people that get pissy if you play a safety. Especially if your not playing "hit your own ball then a rail" rules. Just tap the ball and freeze it up. Bar Rules Baby! lmfao

Carl

Z3R0
04-02-2011, 03:41 AM
I play defensively a lot. They usually say I'm playing, "Baghdad Pool". I bet a guy one time that I could beat him without making a single ball in. He ended up scratching on the 8 ball.

Island Drive
04-02-2011, 06:35 AM
AZB,

A while ago I think there was a thread about ettiquette where somethings that fit this would have been mentioned.

I want to know the things that irritate you when your playing pool, your peeves so to speak.

Carl

Uneven slate seams on a 3 piece 9 footer................

Captain K.
04-02-2011, 06:40 AM
The only thing I reallllly don't like is when someone walks behind me when I am shooting! That just pisses me off. I could care less about talking,music, moving or what ever else, just don't walk behind me when I'm shooting.

That is why most cues have a bumper on the end, I just givem alittle backstoke poke ;)

JoeyA
04-02-2011, 06:58 AM
I don't want to give away too many of my pet peeves for fear that my future opponents will use them against me. :D But one thing that irks me, is when you have one piece of community chalk on the table that you are both sharing and when my opponent finishes his inning at the table, he snatches the chalk up and walks back to his chair, chalk in hand, forcing me to go "ask" him for the chalk. grrrrr..

PaulieB
04-02-2011, 07:42 AM
One poster mentioned it. When somebody misses a shot, he/she then takes one chalk and walks away. This annoys the hell outta me. Even worse, this somebody will continue doing so until there ain't any chalks left on the table.

I just walk up to them and say "You aren't going to miscue sitting in your damn chair" and take the chalk from them.

My biggest annoyance I've ever dealt with is a guy that used to hit the hanging light with his cue stick after he missed a shot. He claimed it was accidental, but he only did it after he missed, never when he made a shot. The effect was that when I stepped up to the table the light is still swaying and the shadows from the balls are moving all over the place. I told him twice to knock it off. Third time I unscrewed and walked away from the game.

seether
04-02-2011, 08:22 AM
I hate it that the 8ball shot is obvious and the aponent ask a question like "where is it going?" and other questions and they hover over the table,have there hand on the pocket where you are shooting the 8ball in it or they are of talking up a storm or i should say conversation with someone else,aspecially when you miss and he is to busy talking and would not take his shot.Not only that someone with a loud voice or loud rap music,or people being show offs.Thats what piises me of.

Slim Limpy
04-02-2011, 08:57 AM

SpotMonster22
04-02-2011, 09:09 AM
-When the other guy misses and then has to stay on the table to take three or four practice strokes to see what's wrong with his stroke....and does this EVERY time he misses.

I know some really good players who will do one or two strokes, but come on, if you're a C/D player, take your practice strokes before you shoot.

336Robin
04-02-2011, 09:35 AM
-When the other guy misses and then has to stay on the table to take three or four practice strokes to see what's wrong with his stroke....and does this EVERY time he misses.

I know some really good players who will do one or two strokes, but come on, if you're a C/D player, take your practice strokes before you shoot.

I keep my trap shut when my opponent shoots I never speak. It irritates me to no end when Im approaching setup and some ass has to say something to draw my attention off like Im beating him out of luck or he is too good to have missed a shot and leave me a hanger its like grow up dude.

336robin

http://274928807619529663.weebly.com/

inside_english
04-02-2011, 10:11 AM
Scooping or raking the cue ball when trying to make a jump shot.
Loud-mouth bangers.
Loud-mouth players (they are worse, for some reason).
Spearing the table trying to massť the cue ball, then doing it over and over so it sounds like you're pounding the table because you keep missing or miscueing each time.
Racking the balls at the head of the table.
Kicking the side of the table to avoid putting coins in to get a stuck ball out. (Are you really that broke?)
Not knowing the rules for any game you choose to play.
Admitting to not being familiar with the rules, but choosing to argue with someone that does.
ANY type of move that can be deemed as hustling or sharking, and this is a long list!
Talking to me about a stick you just bought or are thinking of buying, when my face, body language and limited responses should be clear indications I have absolutely NO interest. Even worse when you try to ask me a question about sticks and I tell know I don't know much about them....and you tell me anyway!
Telling me why I lost a match when I did not ask you.
Making the same corny pool-related jokes and one-liners over and over, day after day, year after year, and you think it's funny each and every freakin' time!
Putting down your own game every chance you get. You...and your game...are boring.
Grown men who wear baseball caps backwards. It's cool if you're seven years old. After that, you look like an idiot.
Allowing me the privilege of seeing your cheap ugly boxers when you shoot, or even worse, your nasty ass-crack. (this goes for some skanks as well).
Men who suck up to a girl in the bar or pool room because she can *gasp* make two balls in a row. Then they latch onto her like she is some pool-damsel in distress and THEY can rescue her.
Guys who ask you for weight when they have never met you.
People who try to make games on your behalf without asking you first.
People who think that because you're not gambling or in a tournament your playing time should not be respected.
People who automatically disrespect other players' time because they think the players can't shoot very well, so somehow that means they don't deserve consideration when they are trying their best.
People who make comments during YOUR game and they are not playing, not do they have any money involved in your match.
Peope who whine about the equipment.
People who whine about rolls. They don't seem to mind when they win, weird huh?
People who walk up to me before a tournament starts and tell me how tired they are and how they have not slept in forever, etc. Well, at least they have prepared their excuses before game-time even starts!
People who offer advice on how to run a tournament when I did not ask for it.
People who claim they play better on Brunswicks vs Diamonds or vice versa.
People who play in a tournament all day long, and wait until the final rounds to whine about the racks.
People who bend over to shoot with a mouthful of food and some of it drops onto the table.
White boys who act like they were born and raised in the ghetto.
People who play in tournaments and rush to an empty table to play free pool by themselves AFTER THEY HAVE ALREADY BEEN KNOCKED OUT. Then when they are told they will be put on time they leave. Cheap bastards!
People who seem to think that pool-playing equates to having no sense of personal hygiene, no manners, no sense of decency, no brains, etc.
Women who can't play pool themselves, but talk all the sh** in the world because their significant other is / or was a champion. All of a sudden they want to gamble with the room when they know their man has the nuts, but put them amongst other champions and you don't hear a peep.
People who let their toddlers run around during a tournament, especially if they themselves are already out of the event.
People who complain about tournament payouts when they have already agreed to participate.
Railbirds who add to the toxic atmosphere when they have not picked up a pool stick in over a decade, or bet a nickel since 1962.

I could go on and on...

Why do I love this game again? LOL

Marcl3954
04-02-2011, 06:07 PM
texting while playing

CreeDo
04-02-2011, 08:27 PM
I understand most of the things listed in this thread.

The one that I don't understand is people getting irritated with opponents rolling house cues on the table to make sure it's straight. While I don't grab a handful of cues. I do grab the two that look the straightest from the rack and check them on the table.

What's wrong with wanting to play with a straight cue? Is there something my newby-self isn't seeing? Does this damage/dirty the equipment?

This question needs to be answered because I also have no idea :)

It's a quick, easy, harmless way to spot a flaw. Yes, you can overcome crooked cues. Yes, you can sight down the barrel. But this is the easiest way to deal with an everyday issue. I hope nobody will seriously say the cue I rolled on the table caused them to miss a ball.

I have the same peeves as most others I guess. I think it sucks to wait for anyone to finish a call, text, or their food. But I've done it to others so I try not to be an ass about it. Sometimes you just gotta text that chick back.

I hate when people stand there and swing their cue back and forth like a pendulum. Hello, sharking?!

KMRUNOUT
04-02-2011, 08:48 PM

This one bugs me. Usually the ones that do that do it consistently, like every time they put it down. Look at the rails after one match...chalk all over them. Why would they do that?

KMRUNOUT

KMRUNOUT
04-02-2011, 08:50 PM
It's the little things.
Not racking on the spot.
I'm sure there are more.

I agree with all of these too. Especially the chair thing. Or even worse, when the moron with the 8 ball on top rack can't get the rack even close to tight, but persists with the retarded 8 ball trick.

KMRUNOUT

beerpressure
04-02-2011, 08:53 PM
Played a little tonight and the chalking right on the table while it was my turn persisted even after asking to wait your own turn. So I had to counter shark with chit chat turning his turn.

KMRUNOUT
04-02-2011, 09:04 PM
Carl

Actually, I only use my own chalk wherever I play. I find that most people misuse the chalk. This thread just listed off a bunch of ways they do that. I don't particularly like the condition of the average piece of chalk in a pool hall or bar. Likewise, I depend on the performance of the chalk I use. I like blue masters or blue diamond. I HATE NTC and Silver Cup chalk, and don't particularly like the other color of masters. For some reason, chalk residue of other colors really stands out to me and looks dirty. I use my chalk properly, don't bore a hole in it, don't put it down on the table at all (never mind chalk side down), so I really don't think this provides any issue for any pool room I play in. If someone ever insisted I use some special chalk, I would politely refuse or leave.

I agree, though, that crapping up the table with anything, chalk, talc, etc., is quite annoying.

KMRUNOUT

gunzby
04-02-2011, 09:28 PM
This one bugs me. Usually the ones that do that do it consistently, like every time they put it down. Look at the rails after one match...chalk all over them. Why would they do that?

KMRUNOUT

I never got that one either. There have been a lot of times that I have to wipe off the rails before I play because of that. There have also been a lot of times that I go home blue chalk lines on my jeans because of that.

Hustlehard
04-03-2011, 12:56 AM
Drunks.
People that blows smoke in my face.
People yelling at the tv during a football game, i like football to but damn chill.
The tournament player with a million gadgets that takes him 2 hours to get out.
Powder all over the table.
They dude that takes forever to rack.
Talking during my shot, or trying to have a conversation with me between shots.
loud music, i think pool halls should be like churches.

Thats about it.