PDA

View Full Version : Joints

samnvb
04-01-2011, 07:58 AM
Not sure where to start here...at the moment i use a 5/16 piloted stainless joint. the other night i was given the chance to use a cue with a different joint and loved the way it hit...gave me great feed back. i have always felt strange about using someone's cue as i do not like anyone testing mine...superstitious i guess. so i am wondering how hard it is to change and if there are any suggestions as to ivory or what.

thank you in advance for you help

pooljunkie75
04-01-2011, 08:13 AM
You can have the joint changed out, but it may not hit like the cue you liked. Everything in a cue changes the "feel" of it. A ivory joint will change it even more. There is no right or wrong. Its all in what you like, and what feels good to you. I shoot with a $3500 cue with a lot of ivory and silver in it. Does it make it play better than yours? Maybe, maybe not, but I love the way it hits. Can I get the same feel out of a less expensive cue?...sure, but I love the way mine looks also...:thumbup:

MitchAlsup
04-01-2011, 09:05 AM
The probability that the feel you liked on the borrowed cue comes from the kind of joint used in that cue is remote.

The probability that if you put that kind of joint in your current cue and get the kind of hit of the borrowed cue is even more remote.

cigardave
04-01-2011, 09:14 AM
Summarizing what I have learned from being here...

The "hit" of a cue is based on the features of the cue that are closest to the cue ball, starting with the tip (height/soft/medium/hard, etc), the ferrule (material/capped/uncapped), the taper of the shaft (conical/straight, etc.), the "tone" of the shaft... and then the joint.

And it has been reported here that blind tests were done with cues being identical except for the joint, which was taped over, and the % of shooters recognizing the joint type was very low.