PDA

View Full Version : Earl/Johnny match tommorrow - Behind the Scenes - Day 1 Video

"CaliRed".
04-01-2011, 11:17 AM
I have just uploaded a behind the scenes video of the Earl Strickland/Johnny Archer "Bad Blood" matchup that begins tomorrow. This is Day 1 (yesterday).

www.vimeo.com/calired/badbloodday1

You can right click on the video and choose full screen mode and it will still look good. I believe Vimeo is still converting it, so it should be in HD before too long.

I hope you all enjoy it, I've been at it since 5 am:D

I am headed up to Lincoln now to get more footage for another episode, which will be available late tonight or early morning.

More info of this match can be found here.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=2884487&postcount=1

http://www.legendschampions.com/

PPV can be purchased at http://www.tvmike.tv/ It's 25.00 for both days.

Another thread of mine about my activities
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=2939598&postcount=1

If you want to see a great match, go get the PPV or come on down to Drifter's in Lincoln!

Thanks!

PS... the video ends right before 26 mins... there is a minute or so of blank screen. (slaps himself upside the head)

Jesters
04-01-2011, 11:56 AM
Thats awesome, I love that kind of thing. Thankyou for posting it.

youngstownkid
04-01-2011, 12:34 PM
ditto - thx for the teaser

Mike Templeton
04-01-2011, 12:53 PM
Nick is getting a little belly on him...

"CaliRed".
04-01-2011, 02:23 PM
Please, for you people that view this.. can you post a comment. I am really interested in what people think of this idea. Whether it is a type of video that people would be interested in seeing.

Thanks in advance.

justadub
04-01-2011, 02:49 PM
That was very cool.

Thanks so much for sharing it with us.

Yes, I think pool players are gonna want to see more stuff like this.

ccshrimper
04-01-2011, 03:20 PM
It was awesome, loved hearing Earl's gambling story.

TheNewSharkster
04-01-2011, 03:22 PM
Thanks for posting the video. It gave me some insight to these two players I hadn't seen before. Almost made them seem more human. Best luck to both in the match!

pablocruz
04-01-2011, 03:38 PM
Thanks for posting the video! Nice to see players away from the arena without their game face on! Nice to see the "Man behind the Man."

javi2
04-01-2011, 03:40 PM
Thanks....good stuff. Looks like Earl is trying to tone things down. Actually, Johnny looked like he was trying to stir things up. Hmmm, I'm confused.....

Bigtruck
04-01-2011, 03:40 PM
Good stuff! Thanks for doing it!

Ray

JAM
04-01-2011, 04:03 PM
Excellent video which really captured the spirit before the big showdown.

Here's some of my observations. I was curious why Putnam was traveling with Johnny. Maybe his cornerman for this match?

Nick Varner looks great, hasn't aged a bit. He's proud of his wares, and I enjoyed seeing him in this video. He will always be one of the good guys in pool, as far as I'm concerned. :angel2:

Earl claims he's in the "best shape" of his life, losing weight, exercising, et cetera, but I couldn't help but think, as an ex-smoker myself, that he's really only fooling himself as long as he's still smoking. Cigarettes can really affect one's heart rate, circulation, et cetera, et cetera. I don't care how much you exercise. :(

Johnny mentioned how he back was hurting him years ago when he played in a tournament. How did his back get injured? Was he in a car accident?

Archer exuded confidence in his speech. He's 42 years old, compared to Earl's 49. There's only a 7-year gap in age, but in the forties, that can be an advantage. Johnny's eyes may still be sharp, whereas Earl's close-up vision may be starting to change. But I do think Earl may have a slight edge playing on Gandy equipment.

If Johnny taunts Earl and gets inside his head, Earl doesn't stand a chance. Earl needs a good cornerman to handle prospective demons in his head, so that Earl can concentrate on pool. ;)

The gambling story Earl told at the end is the same one that was written about Larry Lisciotti in the Snap magazine in the '80s. Here's the Snap article snippet:

Lisciotti had eaten up the local action before he graduated from high school, but as soon as he obtained a high school diploma, he hit the road. He remembered it as the best time of his life, as there were times when he spent only US$6 on a motel room, but won thousands of dollars in a local tavern.

As a road player in the early 1970s in Charlotte, North Carolina, Lisciotti was playing nine-ball with an unknown entity for $15,000 for six-ahead (meaning one player had to score six games ahead, instead of a race to six) in order to win the money. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw a black, shiny object pointing directly at his head as he was getting ready to shoot the nine-ball in the pocket. He missed the shot, as the bullet flew over his head. It happened five more times, each time Lisciotti was getting ready to shoot a game-winning shot. After missing six consecutive nine-ball shots in a row, Lisciotti had had enough and said, "If he's going to kill me, let him!" He fired the last nine-ball in the pocket with authority, but thankfully only heard a clicking sound as the gunman ran out of bullets.

Of course, Larry could have borrowed the story from Earl. Who knows?! Pool players do come up with some road tales. :grin-square:

I think it's really cool that these videos capture the atmosphere. I am realy enjoying them. THANKS! :cool:

Ron F
04-01-2011, 04:07 PM
Please, for you people that view this.. can you post a comment. I am really interested in what people think of this idea. Whether it is a type of video that people would be interested in seeing.

Thanks in advance.

Are you serious??? This is awesome!!! This should be 2 hours long and run on HBO!!! Thank you for making it and posting it!!!

Ron F

bboxgrinder
04-01-2011, 04:33 PM
Well done. Did anyone else notice Earl telling about how he's an athlete and all the training he does and at the airport he was puffing a cigarette LOL. Gotta love Earl.

Luxury
04-01-2011, 05:01 PM
Well done. Did anyone else notice Earl telling about how he's an athlete and all the training he does and at the airport he was puffing a cigarette LOL. Gotta love Earl.

That baffled me as well. Loved the video.

bobco729
04-01-2011, 05:10 PM
I totally respect the work that you do. Great video, great idea, loved it.
"country" Bob

Terry Ardeno
04-01-2011, 05:12 PM

Thanks in advance.

Cali,
Thanks for posting that. I've always been so interested in the goings on before & after the matches. I hope you start a trend with this.
Thanks!

bobco729
04-01-2011, 05:15 PM

Earl had been over training, he had to puff on one so he wouldn't get in too good a shape. lol
"country" Bob

ratnip
04-01-2011, 05:56 PM
Thanks Calired. I really appreciate the time, effort, dedication and resources you have donated to our sport.

I seen a Polish mountaineer drink a beer and smoke a ciggy on top of Mt. Rainier! (14,000 some odd feet high) Thus, Earl might do just fine at sea level smoking a ciggy while shooting some pool.

Jay P.

Palmetto cue
04-01-2011, 06:47 PM
Thanks Greg! Really enjoyed the footage! :thumbup:

JusticeNJ
04-01-2011, 06:59 PM
that was really great man thanks for doing that!

gunzby
04-01-2011, 07:07 PM
Greenies for posting the video.

Mark you sure are a pretty boy ;). I didn't realize that when we talked on the phone that I was talking to the John Stamos of pool.

Earl sounded great. The little bit of the story he told was hilarious. I really liked what he said about how he doesn't need to be acting out considering his level of play.

asbani
04-01-2011, 07:32 PM
I liked the video so much, thanks for doing this!

Cuebuddy
04-01-2011, 07:36 PM
WOW! That was great. I loved this clip, it is a very honest down to earth piece of footage. Seeing Johnny, Nick, Earl and Mark in such a candid video just makes this match way more exciting. Earl comes across well in this and seems very humble. Johnny has the right amount of cockiness and Nick seems like a great guy. Thanks for posting and yes you guys are on the right track.

Good luck to all involved and enjoy my home state.:cool:

markgw
04-01-2011, 07:46 PM
Being in a band I know the fans love behind the scene footage. We put out a behind the scene video and the fans went crazy for it. Being a fan of music myself I love to know what my hero's do away from the stage. I am also an avid pool fan and loved seeing the footage of JA and Earl talking away from the table and I am sure that all the azers and fans can't get enough of these interviews and seeing the 2 characters away from the table......

richiebalto
04-01-2011, 07:58 PM

Thanks in advance.

Please dont stop,pool needs people like you,you are promoton pool the way it should be,beautiful work cali,you are the best!

Rick S.
04-01-2011, 08:00 PM
I also was surprised to see Earl smoking again. He quit last year while staying with me. He planted the seed in both My Wife and I. We both quit and haven't smoked in 6 months now.

Extremely dissapointed to see him pick it up again.

danquixote
04-01-2011, 08:10 PM

Thanks in advance.

I think it's great. Wish I wasn't working this wk. end so I could watch it all. any chance it will be offered in a DVD format for sale later????

cuejo
04-01-2011, 08:20 PM
I think this home movie was a great insight into the "before" of the match.....it would be nice to see the "after"

Tim-n-NM
04-01-2011, 08:29 PM

Thanks in advance.

I liked it Cali.
your doing good.

5am
04-01-2011, 08:45 PM
Great stuff, just like you did at Derby City. Interesting to see and hear from these guys their thoughts on the match, what their strengths are, their predictions and to see them away from the pool table.

sandfoot
04-01-2011, 08:57 PM

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for sharing. Very interesting. Hope to see more videos like this.

JMuck
04-01-2011, 09:59 PM
Earl is an enigma.Thanks for the video.

Matt90
04-01-2011, 10:04 PM
I was more than impressed with how both JA and Earl explained where they had been and where they are in each interview. Sometimes you don't think of a player like JA ever playing bad but even he owned up to not playing well 6 months back. Earl's comments on his health ,weight, and even his demons was great .Can't wait to see how this match goes .Of course I don't ever forget where I come from GO EARL !!!

will8834
04-01-2011, 10:14 PM
I cant seem to find the link topurchase the pay per view

9bizzle
04-01-2011, 10:15 PM
Nice job...it's great to see how things go behind the scenes. I have a question though...why did it appear that Earl and Johnny were traveling together? That seemed odd to me due to the nature of this match.

irock
04-02-2011, 12:18 AM
Great job, that is exactly the kind of stuff pool needs.

mrmagoo42
04-02-2011, 02:35 AM
Your video is a nice behind the scene look with two of the best, thanks. Will be looking for day 2.

wahcheck
04-02-2011, 05:13 AM
It's nice to see behind the scenes and get a glimpse of these superstar legends of pool.......listening to their candidness about their views and feelings.....it's a nice casual insight into their personalities....I agree with JAM about Earl just kidding himself about how healthy he is (while puffing on a cigarette) ....Someone said he had quit for a while, but sadly now he's back on it....
I know quitting is very very hard, but once you do, it makes a world of difference....I can testify to the fact that I have lost friends and relatives due to smoking; and I myself smoked for 20+ years and quit......I firmly believe I would not be here enjoying and babysitting my grandchildren if I hadn't....somebody should remind Earl about the realities of what smoking does to the human body.....

wolfgang
04-02-2011, 08:30 AM
Keep up the good work.

Rick S.
04-02-2011, 09:05 AM
Excellent quality!! Camera is amazing. The people in the room standing right in front of an open window, (bright light) no problem!

Excellent job!!!!!!

Keep it up!!

cycopath
04-02-2011, 09:41 AM
When Nick brings in his cue cases for Mark to look over his cues, I instantly thought of the scene in Taxi Driver when Travis Bickle meets the gun dealer in the motel room to purchase his weapons. Funny.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_iSwCsgcQqEM/TTakebNYytI/AAAAAAAABOc/5pAfayvx0k4/s1600/taxigunpimp.png

1shot
04-03-2011, 08:12 AM
Great job "Glen" Thanks for everything !!!!:)

1shot
04-03-2011, 08:16 AM
Sorry "Greg" Reading to much stuff this morning

"CaliRed".
04-03-2011, 08:48 AM
for the people that are commenting on Earl having a smoke.

first, it goes without saying, we all know the dangers of smoking, we all know the risks, we all would like to quit, we all know what a nasty habit it is....it's just like any other addiction, it's hard to stop

I asked him, (as a smoker myself), how in the world did he run all those miles, being a smoker.

He said he is just a periodic smoker. He said for the week before the Shane match, he didn't smoke at all. He said for 20 years on the tour he didn't smoke. He said he knows he shouldn't smoke

Just a smoking question update:D

"CaliRed".
04-03-2011, 08:57 AM
thanks to all of you for the kind compliments! they are very much appreciated! I'm glad that so many others like this type of stuff, same as I do. I wish I could do this for every pro on tour. Hang out with them for a few days.

your comments made it all worthwhile... I was hoping it wouldn't cost me money to do it, but it did, so your comments helped alleviate that burden.:)

thanks again!

Stay tuned for a interview I did at the Derby with none other then Justin Collett from TAR. I ended up talking with him for 1 hour and 27 mins.:) I will create a new thread when I have that ready.

LeagueShirts
04-04-2011, 10:12 AM
Thanks for putting this together for us to see; we normal folks don't get to see cool stuff like this.

I like the shots of my poster at the beginning. :D