PDA

View Full Version : How Can This Happen to A Shaft??

ZekeCv
04-01-2011, 02:56 PM
KEEP IT GOING!!PLEASE VOTE ON POLL!!!!!!
I want opinions on shafts, please use the poll, Im trying to study the popularity of each and why the people who use them..well use them. I personally only used the Z-2 since I bought my Ikon.
The consensus seems to be that if you want a new shaft, high performace, for any stick you may be holding, that your best bet is to get a predator 314-2 or a z2..But I started testing many diffrent shafts just for the heck of it, threw out an obclassic pro, Im currently in love with my OB1 turned to 12.4mm This thought brought me to this, I want to see if it is everyone that assumes predator right away for a great shaft,. Or do they think Ob or Intimidator, or even katana, etc... cast your vote, if you want to feel free to talk about your decision, I really want to know if there are die hard tiger x, or die hard gcore players like predator players...
This was the original post, but the poll seems to be my foucus, so heres a pic for your enjoyment...
Look at the bottom 2 pics..I have never seen a warp this bad on a high performance shaft too, and its only warped at the top 11" or so.
Anyone else got pics like this, or have you had this happen or seen it happen?http://www.kendallscustomcues.com/cuesinprogress.html

supergreenman
04-01-2011, 03:22 PM
Lean your cue on a wall for a month and see what happens.

Jack Justis
04-01-2011, 03:31 PM
Look at the bottom 2 pics, It says that its a custom meucci black dot..I have never seen a warp this bad. On a high performance shaft too, and its only warped at the top 11" or so.
Anyone else got pics like this, or have you had this happen or seen it happen?
http://www.kendallscustomcues.com/cuesinprogress.html

Many times.....the wide angle lens can do all sorts of strange things.

AtLarge
04-01-2011, 03:36 PM
It says it's a Meucci Original cue. I don't see that it says it's a black-dot shaft. The original shafts for those cues were solid maple shafts, not laminated black-dot shafts.

It doesn't really matter, though. Under certain conditions, that can happen to any shaft.

TheBook
04-01-2011, 03:44 PM

Jack

If not it shows why cues should be stored in one of your cases.

ZekeCv
04-01-2011, 03:50 PM
my bad I kinda read it quickly, either way..Thats way out there for someone to neglect that badly. mine are treated like a tube of small pox..
It says it's a Meucci Original cue. I don't see that it says it's a black-dot shaft. The original shafts for those cues were solid maple shafts, not laminated black-dot shafts.

It doesn't really matter, though. Under certain conditions, that can happen to any shaft.

ZekeCv
04-01-2011, 03:51 PM
Exactly, neglect. You invest in you'r game with an expencive stick, invest in your investment with a simple case or cue wall rack
Jack

If not it shows why cues should be stored in one of your cases.

ZekeCv
04-09-2011, 06:58 AM
bump for new thread stuff

Johnnyt
04-09-2011, 07:20 AM
I voted OB-1 or/and 2 but the Cuetec R-360 LDS plays good for me also. Johnnyt

ZekeCv
04-10-2011, 10:55 PM
I know I should have put that in in place of the g core, IMO i just dont think its a high performance shaft.
I voted OB-1 or/and 2 but the Cuetec R-360 LDS plays good for me also. Johnnyt

The Dster
04-11-2011, 12:12 AM
I voted for the McD I shafts.. I have a Z shaft a 314-2 "turned down" .. a I-2 and a I-3.. The I-3 fits my style of playing the best.. I have played around with all of them and have found out they all play great when you find the right tip that fits your playing style...The Kamui hard makes all my shafts play good for me.. Everyone likes something different so this is just my opinion... Good post.. The Dster.

BlowFish
04-11-2011, 12:23 AM
I like the feel of a Solid shaft, hence I go for Mezz...

MitchAlsup
04-11-2011, 08:49 AM
Chalk me up in the ::

"Its the indian not the arrow" camp.

hangemhigh
04-11-2011, 09:00 AM
You mention custom made cues that come with a shaft but there are custom made, high performance shafts made for your cue.

malidave
04-11-2011, 10:40 AM
G Core is the best performance value, plays great, and solid hit. As for the Predators, I am not crazy about the hit, too much flex for me.

catscradle
04-11-2011, 01:35 PM

Exactly what I was thinking Jack.

Eric.
04-11-2011, 01:47 PM

Especially if that lens is used in the bedroom.

Eric >just sayin'

ZekeCv
04-12-2011, 11:54 AM
ya your probly right about the lens, either way that shaft is bent in a bad way..
I thought I would see more support for everything but what I am seeing.. to each his own

I still stand firm on belief of the gcor3.. I dont want to bash mcdermott, they are a great company and make some incredible pieces, I own thier break cue, and shaft, personally i like it better than any other j./b combo or even just break or just jump i have used alot of them..I just feel that the gcor was good marketing for a bad product, it is somewhat hyped up, I thought this is what i wanted to get for my stick back in november, I started talking to people i might have bought it from and for the most part they told me more about these i wont get to into it. its a solid shaft, with a wierd furrell, Im still on the fence about the everest tip, but the one i had had a really bad grain that i had to burnish out over time, the furrell was wavy and got scratched easy. I got mine in the ng package it was not warped, but I did not like it, i sold it for less than half price. I undersand why i was steered away from them..Imo just spend an extra 40 50 bucks if you really like playing, and get an intimidator, i had an i3 it wasnt for me but alot of people say they are better than predator, like i said, to each his own.
thanks everyone for commenting

ZekeCv
04-16-2011, 10:27 PM
A lot of tiger x, but not as many gcore, I thought they played the same, they are built almost the same..let me know the diffrence if you own one and tried both.. thanks all

leehayes
04-17-2011, 08:50 AM
Dominiak D2 shaft for me. Played with most of the rest....still feel this is the best.

TomInFaribo
04-18-2011, 12:10 AM
I2 and I3 for me. Bought them because I wanted to use on a current McDermott cue I owned. There were deflections comparison charts couple years back and they were real close to predator.
The people I have talked to that have tried unsuccessfully to use the Z shaft/smaller tip. Seems that they get to much unwanted ^^^^^ on the cue ball. Which tells me they are mishitting the cue ball. The larger tip is more forgiving but I feel I can aim better with the smaller tip
I find that if I practice with the I3, the smaller tip makes me hit the cue more accurately as any miss hit (not hitting cue in center, applying unwanted english) is magnified. I can then switch to the I2 and be more accurate. I have switched in the beginning of matches with no ill effects. They both have the same tips. I might think that it would help all to practice with a smaller tip and them move to a little larger one in the matches if your not controlling the cue ball well. . I wish McDemott would have the I series available in different tip sizes. I would probably pop for a 12mm or so.

12ozCurl
04-18-2011, 12:15 AM
My vote goes for a meucci ultimate weapon shaft.....sooo smooth.

SKILLZELITE
04-18-2011, 03:34 AM
My vote goes for a meucci ultimate weapon shaft.....sooo smooth.

Hard to believe anyone is still supporting meucci, there shot. ImO

250 Price tag makes it even less appealing.

ZekeCv
04-18-2011, 12:42 PM
Ya thanks. this is what i am looking for in opinions, I agree, the intimidators are great shafts, i had an i3 when i first started, the pin was incorect but i did get to play with it for a night before i sold it, i really thought it was close to the z2, i own a z2 and an ob cut to 12.3...I have been playing exclusively with my bigger 12.4 mm tip since i got it a few weeks ago, and last night i switched to my 11.75 z last night and what a diffrence, i mean i played with my z for a few months before hand but just that half mm. makes the biggest diffrence on how you can control the cb. I also agree with the size's, if they had made a 12.25 or something like that i woulda gotten the intimidator series instead...but w/e....I really think that companys should make 12.25 a standard size inbetween 11.75 and 12.75mm,. it really dosent seem like much when talking about it but put the shaft in your bridge and you can tell if it is .3mm diffrent. at least i can... thanks every1 for making a good thread and good info..
jcv
I2 and I3 for me. Bought them because I wanted to use on a current McDermott cue I owned. There were deflections comparison charts couple years back and they were real close to predator.
The people I have talked to that have tried unsuccessfully to use the Z shaft/smaller tip. Seems that they get to much unwanted ^^^^^ on the cue ball. Which tells me they are mishitting the cue ball. The larger tip is more forgiving but I feel I can aim better with the smaller tip
I find that if I practice with the I3, the smaller tip makes me hit the cue more accurately as any miss hit (not hitting cue in center, applying unwanted english) is magnified. I can then switch to the I2 and be more accurate. I have switched in the beginning of matches with no ill effects. They both have the same tips. I might think that it would help all to practice with a smaller tip and them move to a little larger one in the matches if your not controlling the cue ball well. . I wish McDemott would have the I series available in different tip sizes. I would probably pop for a 12mm or so.

ZekeCv
04-18-2011, 12:46 PM
I agree, meucci makes some nice sticks and almost 60% of the house pro;s at my hall use thier butt ends, but not thier shafts... and also the ultimate weapon is 11.25mm!!! you think a z or an obclassicpro is thin, try shootin with this. personnally i wouldnt play with it. and i wouldnt even consider this thing for 100 bucks. IMO
Hard to believe anyone is still supporting meucci, there shot. ImO

250 Price tag makes it even less appealing.

ZekeCv
04-19-2011, 05:06 PM
bump this up, i want to hear some other opinions on thier shafts, i couldnt fit all of the shafts in, i only had 10 spaces at most so i had to choose the ones i felt were most popular..to me at least...but i do want to put domninak in there...my friend really likes them and a few others so let me know what others to use, should i make another poll..

ZekeCv
04-29-2011, 08:51 AM
looks like it came down to ob, and just regular solid shafts that come with sticks...keep it going if u guys want, and let me know what kinds i missed so i can put them in my next one...I like to learn this stuff
thanks to every1 who participated,

RiverCity
05-02-2011, 03:39 AM
I recently converted to the Tiger ultra x shafts. Tried one and liked how it played. Nice and stiff, a little squirt but nothing like most regular shafts. Radial consistency from the best of my sense of feel. And I liked it so much I bought a spare and the spare plays pretty much identical to the first one. Tiger also puts out a ld version that rivals predator on deflection with a much better hit.
Chuck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hunger strike
05-02-2011, 05:56 AM
I disliked the hit of the balsawood-like first-generation 314 since the first hit. It is good for the bar box, you can put a lot of spin on the ball, but too much inadvertent spin for long shots on the adult size tables. I wish someone at Predator would let us trade these old things in on a newer model ~ I hear a lot of good things about their newest shafts, but after what I consider a total waste of 225 or so the first time, why would I give them another chance to disappoint? I would trade in if they gave a discount for that but full price, nope. The thing basically sits in my closet; what a waste.
Anyone from Predator wanna give me a trade in and change my mind???

hunger strike
05-02-2011, 06:31 AM
Predator, are you listening?????

ZekeCv
05-02-2011, 11:07 AM
I really dont think they are, were at the bottom of the pot..maybe if you had recconition in pool they would..or just start making yourself known through alot of treads...thats what im trying to do right now, since I joined I have been making threads on my own curiousity and meeting people and building connections. Unless your a pro or a cue builder that seems to be the only way...imo
Predator, are you listening?????

ZekeCv
05-02-2011, 06:29 PM
bUMP Im still intrested in more feedback on all shaft's....not just the ones I have listed, as others have stated..I would like to conduct others and I would like to have more input,,,thanks all

ZekeCv
05-14-2011, 03:38 PM
blaa woo, vote some more and tell me what shafts to include next

SKILLZELITE
05-14-2011, 04:18 PM
Ive been searching for what my next LD shaft would be, Tiger has a carom shaft called the carom x ld @12.25, Ive been considering that as well as a cash ferruless ,but the price is steep..

Im currently playing with a Z2,obclassic,and gcore, all of them have unique characteristics , but over all feel and stiffness,and forgiveness goes to the ObClassic...

I might just take a standard hard rock maple shaft remove the ferrule add a carbon fiber pad and a kamui black soft tip,minus the ferrule ,just to see if I can achieve a ld feel ,without a big price tag..:wink: