PDA

View Full Version : Several Tornados hit the OKC metro area over the last few hours

Gmanpoke
05-24-2011, 04:34 PM
We've been lucky at my house. A tornado a few miles west of me but been several in the metro area. Pray everyone's OK. Any fellow AZers in the OKC area need anything let me know. (417) 529-7983.

Steven

TX Poolnut
05-24-2011, 04:45 PM
I hope those tornados didn't put any unwanted english on your house. :)

dhwright
05-24-2011, 05:13 PM
Good luck!

Mr. Wiggles
05-24-2011, 05:38 PM
Good luck!

Two killed in El Reno. Three kids seriously injured out by Piedmont or there a bouts. Great video of the one by Goldsby. Debris from that one rained down in Norman. It's always someone else, unless it's you! Pray for the kiddos.

pwd72s
05-24-2011, 05:43 PM
Scary stuff...I have a friend raised in Texas. He is absolutely scared to death of Tornados, having survived one as a kid.

When does tornado season wind down? It seems to be a really nasty season this year.

Mr. Wiggles
05-24-2011, 06:17 PM
Scary stuff...I have a friend raised in Texas. He is absolutely scared to death of Tornados, having survived one as a kid.

When does tornado season wind down? It seems to be a really nasty season this year.

May is the big tornado month. Sometimes mother nature makes her own decisions. She's a fickle old gal.

ContinentalGT
05-24-2011, 06:19 PM
Never been involved in a Tornado, but I am sure its devastating

JB Cases
05-24-2011, 06:29 PM

I survived one when I was a kid as well. My mom and I were in a clothing store and siren came on and everyone in the store got under the display tables. The tornado came through just outside and peeled the roof back like an open can.

After it was over we went outside and the park next to the road looked like some giant had stuck a knife in the earth and dragged it through park.

Looking back I don't think it was a very big tornado as the only thing that sticks in my mind was that the park was all torn up.

Tornadoes are the scariest ones to me as well because they are so unpredictable and devastating.

Well, my folks and my sister are ok. My sister live in Norman and my folks in Midwest City. They didn't catch it this time. I am reminded though that when we moved my folks from Florida it was on the leading edge of Hurricane Rita. We had to stop for the night in one motel and sweat it out as to whether the hurricane was going to turn our way or not. We got pretty heavy rain that night but by morning it had turned away just enough for us to get down the road.

Scott Taylor, my boss at Sterling, organized a van to be stocked with supplies and three of us went down to North of Pontchartrain to help one of our dealers and whoever else we could just after Katrina. I will never forget that drive and all the devastation we drove through.

It really brings it home that we are no more than insects against the fury of nature.

skankhammer
05-24-2011, 06:55 PM
Yes it has been a bad day here in okla. Hope the rest of the okla az'ers are ok.

Njhustler1
05-24-2011, 06:59 PM
Although they're not AZers, Gwen and Ronnie who work at the Frank's Center booth at all the big pool conventions, are from Joplin, MO. They're two of the nicest people I've met at the conventions I've been to. Since the BCA just wrapped up on Sunday, I'm assuming they were still en route back to MO when the storms hit, but I hope they're doing well!

Derek
05-24-2011, 08:58 PM
I'll pray for everyone to keep safe also.

Had a large funnel swirling sideways going over my head years ago. Looked out my window from my second level apartment and watched a big fat swirling cloud coming right at us. Ran downstairs with my pregnant wife and hid under the table of a neighbor's ground level apartment. Crazy thing is the family that let us in all ran outside to watch it go right over them.

Gmanpoke
05-25-2011, 07:14 AM
I'll pray for everyone to keep safe also.

Had a large funnel swirling sideways going over my head years ago. Looked out my window from my second level apartment and watched a big fat swirling cloud coming right at us. Ran downstairs with my pregnant wife and hid under the table of a neighbor's ground level apartment. Crazy thing is the family that let us in all ran outside to watch it go right over them.

Wife and I lived in Stillwater, OK from 1989 til 1998. In, I believe 1999, we were living in a Townhome at the bottom of a hill. The funnel came within 100 yard of our home. I stood on the front porch until debree started flying above the build next to ours. Then I went inside put my wife and daughter in the floor through a mattres and blankets over them and layed across the top of the pile.

After the strom I walked outside and there was debree laying everywhere. The police put up road blocks keeping everyone out. Later that evening I walked out to a store about a mile away to get supplies. When I started back, the police would not let me go back. I told the police officer there was no way I was I would let my wife and 3 year old daught stay in that Townhome by themselves. So I slow crawled across a field right as the sun was going down. Glad they didn't catch me sneaking in, because they would have had to shoot me to keep me from my family.

In 2004, I was living in Udall, KS getting ready to move to Joplin, MO. My brother was helping me pack. We were standing in the front yard and notice ominous clouds about 10 miles north and west of us. The clouds were just boiling and pretty soon a funnel dropped out of the cloud all the way to the ground. You could actually see the dust and debree flying at the bottom of the funnel. Me being the concerned dad that I am, I went to the front door and called for my two daughters out side and watch.

FELIX
05-25-2011, 08:18 AM
Got real close about 1.5 miles south of me , close
enough . Breathing came back to normal about
7:30 or 8:00 last night , just had my table recovered
and a new set of centenial balls that would not done
good in that kind of wind . Alls well here , good luck
to every one . robert:thumbup:

JoeyA
05-26-2011, 08:20 AM
That's nice of you to offer your help Steven.

I haven't been through any tornado activity and I guess if I had to make a choice it would be hurricane over tornado. At least with the hurricane, you have plenty of warning and can move your family to a place of saftey. The tornado barely gives you enough time to duck under a pool table.

JoeyA