PDA

View Full Version : my new black SOFT kamui tip

oldplayer
05-27-2011, 04:18 AM
heard some of the hype about the tips and i changed from a moori medium to a soft black kamui tip yesterday. i'll try anything to make my game better. thank goodness i ordered soft and not meduim. i consider it much harder than the moori. even the sound of chalking is different, sounds like chalking a piece of lava. i was only able to practice 1 hour with it yesterday and for some reason i am not making some shots that i did before and have not noticed much change in the english either. :confused: maybe i am not used to looking down the barrel and seeing a black bead yet. the jury is still out though. today is the 5 or 6 hours of play. ask me tomorrow if i am changing back.

OneIron
05-27-2011, 06:38 AM
heard some of the hype about the tips and i changed from a moori medium to a soft black kamui tip yesterday. i'll try anything to make my game better. thank goodness i ordered soft and not meduim. i consider it much harder than the moori. even the sound of chalking is different, sounds like chalking a piece of lava. i was only able to practice 1 hour with it yesterday and for some reason i am not making some shots that i did before and have not noticed much change in the english either. :confused: maybe i am not used to looking down the barrel and seeing a black bead yet. the jury is still out though. today is the 5 or 6 hours of play. ask me tomorrow if i am changing back.

I've installed a couple of Kamui black super soft tips for excellent players and have gotten good feedback from both. The feel of the tip during installation is completely different from a Moori III but the quality and consistency is excellent. Both players said it holds it's shape extremely well and applies English well. I haven't tried one myself yet. Currently using a Moori V.

radge69
05-27-2011, 06:56 AM
Give it some time, it will take a bit to get used to. If it's still too firm, go with a super soft. They are the best tips on the market IMHO.

brandoncook26
05-27-2011, 07:15 AM
Kamui tips are great, but their hardness designations are a little quirky. The soft is really more like a medium and the medium is like a medium/hard.

I haven't tried a super soft but I've heard they are great. I was breaking with my playing cue for a while and I didn't want to wear the tip down too fast. I will probably try a super soft next time I need a new tip.

mosconiac
05-27-2011, 07:30 AM
My ONLY complaint about Kamui blacks is that they are much harder than their "name" implies. IMO, a medium is hard, a soft is medium, and a super soft is medium-soft. Since the industry has no way to quantify these rankings, we get some variability.

Kamui browns are much better in this regard, but still a little harder than their "name" implies. IMO a medium is medium-hard for example.

I'm going back to browns after three blacks.

Zivan1967
05-27-2011, 11:02 AM
i have a brown kamui medium on one of my shafts and i dont like it at all. its hard as a rock and holds chalk worse than any other tip i've tried. its so bad that im pretty sure its from a bad batch or something. My everest tip is a totally different story. best tip i've ever played with

You seem to have something against Kamui lol

I have tried a Kamui brown super soft, soft, and medium. I also tried a Kamui black super soft, and soft.

Every tip has been great. They all played different but always consistent so I could adapt to any of them over time.

Personally I like the Kamui brown soft the best, not too hard, not too soft. It all comes down to preference. Find something you like and stick with it. The reason I choose to play with a Kamui is because when it's time to change my tip the next Kamui will play very close to my last one. It's as simple as that.

BarneyCalip
05-27-2011, 01:35 PM
I put a Kamui brown medium and a Kamui black super soft tip three weeks ago, on two new shafts. I normally play with a Moori medium. I have been struggling with my draw stroke lately :(. Last night I played in a tournament and came in third and struggled with my draw stroke using Kamui brown. I later got into a ring game and switched to the Kamui super soft black for the first time. Wow what a difference !!! Our six man 10 ball ring game ended early as everyone was upset that I was winning most of the games. I like to play one pocket and put a lot of english on the ball. I had no trouble with my draw stroke and my confidence went through the roof with the Kamui black super soft tip. Just my two cents, grin. :) Barney

junkbond
05-27-2011, 02:22 PM
I've got Kamui black soft, brown soft, and black hard tips. They're all great. No problem moving the cue ball wherever I want it. Spin, draw, follow - all are effortless. The only Kamui I've had that I didn't like was a black medium. Terrible tip.

-Howard

Slasher
05-27-2011, 03:29 PM
i have a brown kamui medium on one of my shafts and i dont like it at all. its hard as a rock and holds chalk worse than any other tip i've tried. its so bad that im pretty sure its from a bad batch or something.

I had the same experience so it's not just you :p

rayjay
05-27-2011, 06:09 PM
Blacks are good tips, I just hate the sound they make. I use the new generation Soft and they play pretty good.
:p

cyrex
05-27-2011, 08:20 PM
Like everyone else said, the rating is not quite what I think most players are used to. I tried the Kamui Black Soft and it was much more like a medium tip. I've been using the Kamui Black Super Soft now and like the hit MUCH better.

My only issue with them is that they don't last a long time because they are so soft. Took me about 4 months to go through 1 tip playing 3-4 times a week.

12310bch
05-27-2011, 08:30 PM
I'm using a Kamui black -soft tip. It took a few days to get the shape right.
I love it now.

OneIron
05-28-2011, 03:44 PM
Kamui tips are great, but their hardness designations are a little quirky. The soft is really more like a medium and the medium is like a medium/hard.

I haven't tried a super soft but I've heard they are great. I was breaking with my playing cue for a while and I didn't want to wear the tip down too fast. I will probably try a super soft next time I need a new tip.

Cool profile pic! You drive that?

jayman
05-28-2011, 08:50 PM

I recently tried a black medium. I thought it sucked personally. It isn't any harder than my Hercules medium and may not even be as hard. But It slid off the ball more easily than any tip I have ever used in my life. Most people defended the tip and said my stroke was to blame. Funny thing is that all I did to fix my stroke was to switch tips. HUH? or must be crappy chalk. My Blue Diamond works o.k. on all my other tips.
I can see why they had to make that "special chalk" now though.

Underclocked
05-29-2011, 11:49 AM
My experience with Kamui tips is based solely on the one brown medium that I played with for some time before cutting it off and putting on a Triangle. The last part of that sentence says it all.

My next experiment will be with Tiger Emerald tips.

A "good" Le Pro is as good as it gets, it's just so hard to find a good one nowadays. That opinion is based upon my own limited experience. :grin:

Tramp Steamer
05-29-2011, 12:38 PM
My experience with Kamui tips is based solely on the one brown medium that I played with for some time before cutting it off and putting on a Triangle. The last part of that sentence says it all.

My next experiment will be with Tiger Emerald tips.

A "good" Le Pro is as good as it gets, it's just so hard to find a good one nowadays. That opinion is based upon my own limited experience. :grin:

Limited? I think not! You've been playing pool since Hector was a pup.
You're right about about the tips you mentioned. Good LePros were always hard to beat.
I tried the Emerald and found it to be an excellent tip. Especially for the price.
All that being said, give me an Everest any day of the week except Wednesday. That's the day I'm on my motorcycle. :)

Hidy Ho
05-29-2011, 01:09 PM

Kamui are a bit harder than their advertised rating.

However, give it some time. Normally, I leave it a bit higher thickness, give a good one day of play to break in the tip then I shape down the tip and finalize the side trim. To me, there is a significant difference between first day and second day.

Mikjary
05-29-2011, 04:21 PM
Kamui are a bit harder than their advertised rating.

However, give it some time. Normally, I leave it a bit higher thickness, give a good one day of play to break in the tip then I shape down the tip and finalize the side trim. To me, there is a significant difference between first day and second day.

I found this to be true. I'm using a black medium and after it was played for a couple of days, it hit real well. The sound it makes is a different story! TICK!

I tried a black super soft, but it felt spongy. I shot fine with it, just didn't trust the hit. I'll try the black soft next. Maybe it'll hit somewhere in between the other two tips.

I also played with a brown medium/soft a while back and didn't find anything special about it. It hit okay. It spread out a little over time, but not bad.

Best,
Mike