PDA

View Full Version : An Open Letter to My Sponsor

lfigueroa
05-27-2011, 05:45 AM
This is a post to thank my sponsor of the last 25 years for -- among many, many other things -- her unwavering support in all matters pool.

*If you hate the mushy stuff -- save yourself now.* You have been warned.

I’ve loved playing pool since I was small, blocking the ball returns under a neighbor’s table when I was five; later, watching the older kids play at the Boys Club of America, in the Mission District of San Francisco; as a teenager, messing around on a home-built table, Dave, an older guy in the neighborhood, had made; and later, when I joined the ranks of the fully-pledged pool fraternity.

Serving in the Air Force I got a chance to play at base Rec Centers around the country, winning a couple of base championships state-side, and eventually going off to win the Mediterranean and European championships, one out of my three year tour in Spain. Which is where I met my sponsor one night.

It was at the Officer’s Club late one hot summer Friday night at Torrejon Air Base -- an F-16 jet fighter wing --right outside of Madrid. (Think Maverick, Goose, and the whole “Top Gun” thing.) I was in Spain solo after a failed marriage and was now at the club in Spain trying to compete with all the fighter jocks -- in their dashing green flight suits -- for the available local love which, not unlike the story line in Rogers and Hammerstein’s “South Pacific,” mainly consisted of the base medical center nursing corp.

I’d been informed through back-channels that an Air Force nurse, who had been dating my deputy public affairs officer back in Sacramento, California, had received orders for Spain. And, six months later, there she was -- decked out in a short, slinky, low-cut black dress, high heels, and generally looking pretty fine, standing at my bar. What I did not know was that that particular Friday night she was: “four sheets to the wind,” “toasted,” “blotto,” “drunk as a skunk.” The place was packed, the juke box was blaring something by Billy Ocean, and I sidled up to the bar and managed a spot next to her, feigning a surprised look on my face when our eyes finally met. Summoning my courage I queried as suavely as I could, “Gail!? From Sacramento?” And she just gave me this steely, slightly bored look that silently asked, “Is that the best you’ve got?”

Fearlessly I plunged on and smoothly followed up in my best Fred Astaire, “We’ll have to get together sometime and talk about Sacramento.” And without missing a beat she looked me in the eye, took a moment to size me up, and finally said in a low level voice I’m sure Ginger never used on Fred, “Why don’t we get together and talk about sex instead.”

It was not a question.

She turned to her wingman, Kathy, a fellow Air Force nurse, and with a flip of her head instructed her to, “Give him my number.” Kathy gave me a doubtful look but wrote the proscribed numerals on a bar napkin and then they both marched out of the bar for further Friday night endeavors.

Gail, now my wife, hates it when I tell that story :-)

Eventually we began to date and soon thereafter I could tell this was not your ordinary woman. Gail watched me compete in the base 14.1 championship, saw me run 75 and out on the base JAG one year, and we barely made it back to my apartment, her telling me that watching me walk around the table and run balls was one of the sexiest things she’d ever seen (?!). One year, while we were dating, she flew out to Germany on her own dime, to watch me play in the European 14.1 Championships. She had to leave before the finals to get back to the base to work her shift at the hospital. But when I flew back a couple of days later she greeted me right in the middle of the main terminal of Barajas International, Madrid, dressed in a tan trench coat, black patent leather AF-issued high heels, black hose, a garter belt, make-up… and not much else. Our bill to get out of the airport parking lot was huge.

After Spain we got married and were both stationed in Washington, D.C., and I pretty much gave up pool for 10 years -- the jobs at Andrews AFB and The Pentagon took a lot of time and my wife and I dealt with the realities of being a young married couple far from the exotic locale and care-free fun of a jet fighter base in Europe. (We fought like cats and dogs.) But eventually, somehow, through hard work, patience, and love we worked it all out and came out with the realization that not only were we equally matched when it came to temperament -- me, hot-blooded Latin; her, bull-headed New Englander -- we somehow made a good team and we not only persevered, we flourished.

Years later, stationed at Scott AFB in Illinois, she was hard at work on a project one weekend, while I had nothing to do, and said the words that I think, on some level, she still rues to this day, “Why don’t you go dig out your pool cue out of the closet and go kill some time.”

And that’s what I did and I have been playing non-stop ever since.

Years ago when Mike Howerton -- who I knew from RSB -- was starting up AZ, he emailed me and wanted to know if it was OK to put up my player info on the site and I said, “Sure.” But then I saw what the pros had put up on his site and I emailed him back and asked, “Can I list a sponsor, cue info, and have a picture too, like Earl?” And he graciously said, “Sure.” And I listed Gail as my sponsor.

My wife, over the years, has been my biggest and bestest fan. She has encouraged me to get into local and national events when I didn’t want to and even hounded me until I finally sent in my entry fee to get into my very first US Open 1Pocket Tournament in Kalamazoo, when I didn’t have enough faith in myself to do it on my own. She has bought me countless pool books and Accu-Stats DVDs and for our 10th wedding anniversary she allowed me to recreate a Ginacue, that I had let slip through my hands as a callow youth. She loves going to watch the Mosconi Cup in Vegas and we have been twice and may go again this year. To this day she continues to support my pool aspirations, taking me to Chicago several years ago for a 1pocket tournament in which I eventually beat Piggy Banks and Larry Nevel. For one memorable birthday two years ago she watched me play 14.1 in Chicago again and surprisingly win a 14.1 World Qualifier.

Over countless dinners she has attentively listened to me expound on my latest theories about my pool stroke -- typically involving me using a dinner knife for a cue; salt and pepper shakers for balls; and a napkin as a table -- and asked countless, insightful questions and offered me limitless encouragement. For Christmas last year she gave me a present of a pool lesson with the great Dallas West. She put her full support behind my trip to Las Vegas this year to play in the US 1Pocket Open. And when she caught a glimpse of a photo of me playing on the TV table she shyly asked, “Can I get a copy of that for my desk at work?” For this, our 25th wedding anniversary, she encouraged me to get my second Ginacue.

Exactly one year ago, four days before our 24th wedding anniversary, she came home late one Friday afternoon and I could tell something was wrong the moment she walked in the door and I asked, “What’s the matter?” And she said, “I just came from the doctor. I have cancer.”

As I said, that was a year ago. Since then she has been through radiation, a five-hour surgery, two rounds of chemotherapy, and numerous unbelievable complications. For weeks, twice a day, I dressed a wound for her of such severity that I was shocked to see something like it anywhere but a battlefield. The last year has been hell for me, I can’t imagine what it's been like for her.

And, here we are… coming up on 25 years.

A few weeks ago she got a PET scan and, though we must keep a close eye on things, now she is cancer-free. I’ll never forget one day in the hospital shortly after her surgery, when she opened her eyes while in a pain-killer induced fog, looked deep into mine and stated matter-of-factly in the same low, level voice she had first spoken to me all those years ago at the Officer’s Club, “So. You are my caregiver.” And I replied, “Yes. So sad for you.” And we both managed to laugh.

So, thank you, Dear, my sponsor, the love of my life, Gail. You’ve let me run amokked across the pool rooms and tournaments of America for 25 years. I dan’t know why.

I love you dearly.

Lou Figueroa

CarlB
05-27-2011, 05:49 AM
Very Very Admirable Lou. I enjoyed reading it.

Carl

9BallPaul
05-27-2011, 06:30 AM
Thanks for the heartfelt post, Lou. My wife is similarly tolerant of my pool jones, if not of my cue buying habits, but we've made it 35 years. Fortunately, our health has been good.

Good luck to you nand yours. I enjoy your posts.

pt109
05-27-2011, 06:41 AM
Lou. you are a treasure to the pool world

MOJOE
05-27-2011, 06:45 AM
Wow Lou, that's a real heart grabber.. Having battled the dreadful "C" word myself and having been clean for almost a year, I can so relate. I have a great appreciation for every breath I take, cancer has made me a better person but I don't want it to come back.. :) Next Friday, I have a MRI and if it comes back clean, it will be a year since my last surgery, #4! Praying for clean results of course..

Nothing is taken for granted and I love my wife too for sticking by me through some tough times. She's taken care of me when I felt like crap, she's my rock too.

It's refreshing to hear of the love that you and your wife have for one another. I can relate to that too. Both you and your wife will be in my prayers. Thanks for sharing that, it was amazing!

Be well, Joey Koontz

Maniac
05-27-2011, 06:48 AM
Great post, Lou! You've got yourself a REAL honey there!!!

But....this thread would be better with PICTURES :thumbup:!!!

Show us your beauty, huh Lou (and NOT the Ginacue either ;))???

Maniac

paulempor
05-27-2011, 06:50 AM
Another great and even greater thread than the one from last week. Again Lou thank you for sharing. It is great hearing stories as I am about to get married and can relate to how you feel. I can't and do not want to imagine, honestly what you and your wife have been through. You and your wife will be in my prayers sir. I will be sending this thread to my wife to be as I am sure she can appreciate this story and shed some tears, she loves tear jerkers :)

Hopefully one day our paths will cross so I can buy you a drink or two and thank you for your stories.

Paul

peterskw
05-27-2011, 06:50 AM
Wonderful, wonderful story!! I"ll admit it got me a little teary-eyed.

Best of Luck to you and your sponsor!

Blackjack
05-27-2011, 06:51 AM
Lou,

You are a very blessed and lucky man to have such a wonderful "sponsor".

marek
05-27-2011, 07:04 AM
Nice read Lou :)

CaPoolFan
05-27-2011, 07:17 AM
I too have a tear in my eye! Best of luck to u and ur sponor!

ric23
05-27-2011, 07:19 AM
Thanks Lou, your story is an inspiration for us that are new to this marriage thing...the best to you and your wife...

jay helfert
05-27-2011, 07:23 AM
This is a post to thank my sponsor of the last 25 years for -- among many, many other things -- her unwavering support in all matters pool.

*If you hate the mushy stuff -- save yourself now.* You have been warned.

I’ve loved playing pool since I was small, blocking the ball returns under a neighbor’s table when I was five; later, watching the older kids play at the Boys Club of America, in the Mission District of San Francisco; as a teenager, messing around on a home-built table, Dave, an older guy in the neighborhood, had made; and later, when I joined the ranks of the fully-pledged pool fraternity.

Serving in the Air Force I got a chance to play at base Rec Centers around the country, winning a couple of base championships state-side, and eventually going off to win the Mediterranean and European championships, one out of my three year tour in Spain. Which is where I met my sponsor one night.

It was at the Officer’s Club late one hot summer Friday night at Torrejon Air Base -- an F-16 jet fighter wing --right outside of Madrid. (Think Maverick, Goose, and the whole “Top Gun” thing.) I was in Spain solo after a failed marriage and was now at the club in Spain trying to compete with all the fighter jocks -- in their dashing green flight suits -- for the available local love which, not unlike the story line in Rogers and Hammerstein’s “South Pacific,” mainly consisted of the base medical center nursing corp.

I’d been informed through back-channels that an Air Force nurse, who had been dating my deputy public affairs officer back in Sacramento, California, had received orders for Spain. And, six months later, there she was -- decked out it a short, slinky, low-cut black dress, high heels, and generally looking pretty fine, standing at my bar. What I did not know was that that particular Friday night she was: “four sheets to the wind,” “toasted,” “blotto,” “drunk as a skunk.” The place was packed, the juke box was blaring something by Billy Ocean, and I sidled up to the bar and managed a spot next to her, feigning a surprised look on my face when our eyes finally met. Summoning my courage I queried as suavely as I could, “Gail!? From Sacramento?” And she just gave me this steely, slightly bored look that silently asked, “Is that the best you’ve got?”

Fearlessly I plunged on and smoothly followed up in my best Fred Astaire, “We’ll have to get together sometime and talk about Sacramento.” And without missing a beat she looked me in the eye, took a moment to size me up, and finally said in a low level voice I’m sure Ginger never used on Fred, “Why don’t we get together and talk about sex instead.”

It was not a question.

She turned to her wingman, Kathy, a fellow Air Force nurse, and with a flip of her head instructed her to, “Give him my number.” Kathy gave me a doubtful look but wrote the proscribed numerals on a bar napkin and then they both marched out of the bar for further Friday night endeavors.

Gail, now my wife, hates it when I tell that story :-)

Eventually we began to date and soon thereafter I could tell this was not your ordinary woman. Gail watched me compete in the base 14.1 championship, saw me run 75 and out on the base JAG one year, and we barely made it back to my apartment, her telling me that watching me walk around the table and run balls was one of the sexiest things she’d ever seen (?!). One year, while we were dating, she flew out to Germany on her own dime, to watch me play in the European 14.1 Championships. She had to leave before the finals to get back to the base to work her shift at the hospital. But when I flew back a couple of days later she greeted me right in the middle of the main terminal of Barajas International, Madrid, dressed in a tan trench coat, black patent leather AF-issued high heels, black hose, a garter belt, make-up… and not much else. Our bill to get out of the airport parking lot was huge.

After Spain we got married and were both stationed in Washington, D.C., and I pretty much gave up pool for 10 years -- the jobs at Andrews AFB and The Pentagon took a lot of time and my wife and I dealt with the realities of being a young married couple far from the exotic locale and care-free fun of a jet fighter base in Europe. (We fought like cats and dogs.) But eventually, somehow, through hard work, patience, and love we worked it all out and came out with the realization that not only were we equally matched when it came to temperament -- me, hot-blooded Latin; her, bull-headed New Englander -- we somehow made a good team and we not only persevered, we flourished.

Years later, stationed at Scott AFB in Illinois, she was hard at work on a project one weekend, while I had nothing to do, and said the words that I think, on that some level she still rues to this day, “Why don’t you go dig out your pool cue out of the closet and go kill some time.”

And that’s what I did and I have been playing non-stop ever since.

Years ago when Mike Howerton -- who I knew from RSB -- was starting up AZ, he emailed me and wanted to know if it was OK to put up my player info on the site and I said, “Sure.” But then I saw what the pros had put up on his site and I emailed him back and asked, “Can I list a sponsor, cue info, and have a picture too, like Earl?” And he graciously said, “Sure.”

My wife, over the years, has been my biggest and bestest fan. She has encouraged me to get into local and national events when I didn’t want to and even hounded me until I finally sent in my entry fee to get into my very first US Open 1Pocket Tournament in Kalamazoo, when I didn’t have enough faith in myself to do it on my own. She has bought me countless pool books and Accu-Stats DVDs and for our 10th wedding anniversary she allowed me to recreate a Ginacue, that I had let slip through my hands as a callow youth. She loves going to watch the Mosconi Cup in Vegas and we have been twice and may go again this year. To this day she continues to support my pool aspirations, taking me to Chicago several years ago for a 1pocket tournament in which I eventually beat Piggy Banks and Larry Nevel. For one memorable birthday two years ago she watched me play 14.1 in Chicago again and surprisingly win a 14.1 World Qualifier.

Over countless dinners she has attentively listened to me expound on my latest theories about my pool stroke -- typically involving me using a dinner knife for a cue; salt and pepper shakers for balls; and a napkin as a table -- and asked countless, insightful questions and offered me limitless encouragement. For Christmas last year she gave me a present of a pool lesson with the great Dallas West. She put her full support behind my trip to Las Vegas this year to play in the US 1Pocket Open. And when she caught a glimpse of a photo of me playing on the TV table she shyly asked, “Can I get a copy of that for my desk at work?” For this, our 25th wedding anniversary, she encouraged me to get my second Ginacue.

Exactly one year ago, four days before our 24th wedding anniversary, she came home late one Friday afternoon and I could tell something was wrong the moment she walked in the door and I asked, “What’s the matter?” And she said, “I just came from the doctor. I have cancer.”

As I said, that was a year ago. Since then she has been through radiation, a five-hour surgery, two rounds of chemotherapy, and numerous unbelievable complications. For weeks, twice a day, I dressed a wound for her of such severity that I was shocked to see something like it anywhere but a battlefield. The last year has been hell for me, I can’t imagine what it's been like for her.

And, here we are… coming up on 25 years.

A few weeks ago she got a PET scan and, though we must keep a close eye on things, now she is cancer-free. I’ll never forget one day in the hospital shortly after her surgery, when she opened her eyes while in a pain-killer induced fog, looked deep into mine and stated matter-of-factly in the same low, level voice she had first spoken to me all those years ago at the Officer’s Club, “So. You are my caregiver.” And I replied, “Yes. So sad for you.” And we both managed to laugh.

So, thank you, Dear, my sponsor, the love of my life, Gail. You’ve let me run amokked across the pool rooms and tournaments of America for 25 years. I dan’t know why.

I love you dearly.

Lou Figueroa

Damn you Lou! You made me cry. :embarrassed2:
If I didn't tell you before, "You're a good man Charlie Brown!"

JoeyA
05-27-2011, 07:31 AM
Give Gail a hug for me.
She apparently is quite a woman to put up with you. ;-)

Thanks for the "rest of the story". It is one of your best works yet.

JoeyA

Neil
05-27-2011, 07:35 AM

donuteric
05-27-2011, 07:42 AM
Good luck Lou! I wish you and Gail well and expect nothing but fortune 25 years later!

cuesmith
05-27-2011, 08:00 AM
You're a lucky man Lou! There's not many good ones out there and it sounds like you found a great one!

berko
05-27-2011, 08:17 AM
Touching tribute.

Best wishes to you both.

Standbykid
05-27-2011, 08:22 AM
Lou,

That was awesome. I enjoyed reading it very much. God bless you and your wife. Glad to hear she is cancer free.

-Jeremy

GoldCrown
05-27-2011, 08:30 AM
Pool...it's more than a game. Thanks for posting. Good luck to you and your wife.

sfleinen
05-27-2011, 08:31 AM
Lou:

This is one of the most inspirational things I've read in a long time. I got teary-eyed as well.

I hope one day Lisa and I can look back, 25 years later, and have the same level of unwavering support and love for each other as you and Gail.

Thanks for posting this. I concur with another poster -- it's one of your best yet!

-Sean

12squared
05-27-2011, 08:36 AM
Wow, thank you for sharing your blessed relationship. Great post.

Dave

TX BAD BOY
05-27-2011, 08:39 AM
I dont know you lou, but if I get the chance, I will shake your hand and be glad to meet you.

I have a great wife of 7 years ( sat!!) and I know that it is hard to be a fan of the pool playing husband. You sound like you have a great wife and a terrific sponsor!!

Underclocked
05-27-2011, 08:39 AM
Great story, Lou, and glad you are around to tell it. She probably should have knocked you in the head early on. :D

Give Gail a hug from another "survivor".

I know what you mean about going through hell as I put my wife through that same hell. Sometimes I think her torment was worse than mine... all I had to do was live or die.

jrhendy
05-27-2011, 09:04 AM
A moving tribute to your wife and as always, a special way with words from you.

We lost Sharon to cancer three years ago to the day I played the best tournament matches of my life at The Open One Pocket in Las Vegas. She was in my thoughts all day, as she is most days. She was also an R.N. and kept me on the straight and narrow for 23 years, when on my own, I would have just floundered around playing pool and getting by.

Thanks for a wonderful story. It is nice to know there are some happy endings. John

justadub
05-27-2011, 09:08 AM
Absolutely wonderful story. I'm so glad you shared it with us, and even happier that you've made it past that damnable cancer.

Best to both of you. Thanks for sharing your story with us.

Roger Long
05-27-2011, 09:45 AM
Thank you, Lou, for that wonderful story. Carolyn, my wife for almost 43 years now, has been my special "sponsor" too. Tonight I will have to give her an extra hug and kiss, and tell her it's from Gail and Lou. Thanks again.

Roger Long

Tom In Cincy
05-27-2011, 09:46 AM
If we all had sponsors as you do, pool would be much better.
Good for you Lou.

Rich93
05-27-2011, 10:32 AM
Beautiful post, Lou, for your wonderful wife. May you have another 25 years together!

Dana Bufalo
05-27-2011, 10:34 AM
Thanks for sharing your story Lou! I hope the next 25 years are happy & healthy for both Gail and you!

wahcheck
05-27-2011, 10:41 AM
I too, don't know you, but would like to say thanks for that nice tribute and story ..... Wish you and yours many more happy years ahead.....

DeadPoked
05-27-2011, 11:29 AM
Sounds like you found a winner, Lou. Thanks for sharing. Goodluck to the both of you.

lfigueroa
05-28-2011, 06:59 AM
A quick thank you to Carl, 9BallPaul, Paulempor (looking forward to that drink :-), peterskw, David, marek, CaPoolFan, ric23, Jay, JoeyA (and yes and yes), Neil (I’ve printed it out and put it inside a card that she’ll be opening in a couple of days), douteric, Sherm, berko, Standbykid, GoldCrown, Sean, 12squared, TX BAD BOY, justadub, Roger, Tom, Rich, Dana, wahcheck, and Deadpoked,

Pt109, you are too kind.

To the survivors, like Joey Koontz and Underclocked, you guys must be some tough sumbeeatches to beat “the big c.” Congratulations.

To John H. I am so very sorry for your loss. We were very fortunate to catch it early on, but it is, no doubt, a curse of a disease.

And for Maniac, here are two pictures -- the first was taken shortly after we started dating and the second a couple of years ago at a table overlooking the bay in Puerto Vallarta.

Just a couple of additional words on this: I have had the idea that I wanted to write something like this the last few weeks and occasionally a memory would float through me head. So when it came time to write it, it pretty much wrote itself -- maybe 45 minutes. It wasn’t until I went back and reread it for the first time that I really realized what I had written and got pretty choked up myself (who knew pool players could be such softies). So, there it is.

Regards to one and all.

Lou Figueroa

jay helfert
05-28-2011, 08:04 AM
A quick thank you to Carl, 9BallPaul, Paulempor (looking forward to that drink :-), peterskw, David, marek, CaPoolFan, ric23, Jay, JoeyA (and yes and yes), Neil (I’ve printed it out and put it inside a card that she’ll be opening in a couple of days), douteric, Sherm, berko, Standbykid, GoldCrown, Sean, 12squared, TX BAD BOY, justadub, Roger, Tom, Rich, Dana, wahcheck, and Deadpoked,

Pt109, you are too kind.

To the survivors, like Joey Koontz and Underclocked, you guys must be some tough sumbeeatches to beat “the big c.” Congratulations.

To John H. I am so very sorry for your loss. We were very fortunate to catch it early on, but it is, no doubt, a curse of a disease.

And for Maniac, here are two pictures -- the first was taken shortly after we started dating and the second a couple of years ago at a table overlooking the bay in Puerto Vallarta.

Just a couple of additional words on this: I have had the idea that I wanted to write something like this the last few weeks and occasionally a memory would float through me head. So when it came time to write it, it pretty much wrote itself -- maybe 45 minutes. It wasn’t until I went back and reread it for the first time that I really realized what I had written and got pretty choked up myself (who knew pool players could be such softies). So, there it is.

Regards to one and all.

Lou Figueroa

Ha Ha! She hasn't changed much Lou, but you sure have! :thumbup:
P.S. When I see that old photo of you, I swear I think we played somewhere before. Maybe you stopped in my pool hall in Bakersfield in the 70's or maybe we met up in the Bay area. I was up that way several times in the 70's. I don't remember how much it cost me though! :wink:

lfigueroa
05-28-2011, 08:27 AM
Ha Ha! She hasn't changed much Lou, but you sure have! :thumbup:
P.S. When I see that old photo of you, I swear I think we played somewhere before. Maybe you stopped in my pool hall in Bakersfield in the 70's or maybe we met up in the Bay area. I was up that way several times in the 70's. I don't remember how much it cost me though! :wink:

lol. Probably not Bakersfield, maybe the BA.

As to the photos: I have determined that, over the years, all my memory cells have turned into white hair and fat :-)

Lou Figueroa

Brian in VA
05-28-2011, 10:25 AM
Thanks for a wonderful post, Lou! It helped to make me realize how special my bride is to me, too.

Best to you and Gail. Hope to meet you some day!

Brian in VA

DRW
05-28-2011, 10:28 AM
Great story Lou.:)

3RAILKICK
05-28-2011, 10:59 AM
for the great tribute to your wife that you shared with us.

Thanks for the reminder that there are things far more important than this wonderful game we play. The difficulty sometimes is keeping things properly prioritized. You have it right.

Thanks again. Sharing like this is hard to do. Well done.

Best wishes to you both in years to come.

freddy the beard
05-29-2011, 04:11 AM
Wonderful story. Good luck to you two in the future.

Beard

BelleBelle
05-29-2011, 05:13 AM
Lou, thanks for the story. You are a man's man. I wish you and Gail all the best

floppybear
06-07-2011, 09:24 AM
What a wonderful story.....brightened up my day!

sarahrousey
06-07-2011, 10:38 AM
Geez Lou, whoever knew you were such a nice guy....just kidding. :grin-square: Thanks for posting this and showing that pool players do have feelings and are appreciative. I hope everyone is this thankful to their spouse for putting up with the crazy, pool lifestyle.

Best of luck to you both. I hope in 25 years I can make a similar post and you can match it with your account of 50 years together!

Sarah

pwd72s
06-07-2011, 10:54 AM
Wet eyes, indeed. Lou, you are a lucky man. What's best about that is that you know it. :)

highrun55
06-07-2011, 11:07 AM
I never knew how hard it is to read with tears in your eyes.

The best to both of you, great read

highrun55

Tramp Steamer
06-07-2011, 11:20 AM
Damn, Lou, I'm sitting here with a lump in my throat trying to think of something witty to say and the only thing I can come up with is that this wasn't so much an explanation to us as it was a love letter to you wife. God bless you both. :)

powerlineman80
06-07-2011, 11:53 AM
Wow what a post! Excellent!

My cousin is currently battling it himself. We got bad news this week in that he still has cancer markers in his system after all the last rounds of chemo and radiation. He just finished high school. It started as testicular cancer and has spread to his lungs and other parts of his body. We're still unsure on his fate. I gripe and whine about my disease but its nothing compared to what cancer patients go through. I lost my Aunt back in 2006 from Lymphoma and she suffered severely.

Glad to hear she is ok Lou!

Pamela
06-07-2011, 12:34 PM
What a wonderful tribute Lou. I loved it and am happy to admit, I got teary eyed too :)

JoeyA
06-07-2011, 04:12 PM
Lou, thanks for the story. You are a man's man. I wish you and Gail all the best

And he can cook too.... ;-)

mullyman
06-07-2011, 07:03 PM
Lou, Mrs. MULLY and I dealt with the big C 2 years ago. Luckily a hysterectomy took care of things and she didn't have to deal with a bunch of treatments. I know how it felt to get that message that she had cancer but I don't even want to imagine the pain the 2 of you have gone through with everything else associated with it. God bless both of you and I hope blue skies prevail, my friend.
MULLY

Spantiznik
06-07-2011, 07:26 PM
Ok, that was very heart felt.
Since I am not a fast reader. The little woman was wondering if I went to bed, until I walked out of the little office.

:cheers: To you and your Wife, May you have another 25 years together.

richiebalto
06-07-2011, 09:33 PM

Pt109, you are too kind.

Regards to one and all.

Lou Figueroa

LOU i dont know what to say,some times i believe it is good to cry,i think it keeps us in touch with reality,after reading your very loving story it really hit me, it was the most i have cried since my DAD had past away from cancer a little over a year ago,GOD iam so so glad you said she is cancer free now that makes it much more pleasent to know that,your story is a great great love story,thank you very much for sharing that part of your life with us,in your pictures that you have showed us, you two look like the perfect couple,you r both very good looking people,GOD BLESS you and your very beautiful wife!LOU i believe it takes a very special kind of person to share what u have with us,i didnt know you before this story,i sure feel like i know you now!RICHIE ADAMS.

SJDinPHX
06-07-2011, 11:13 PM
Duplicate post.

KCRack'em
06-07-2011, 11:35 PM
Lou. you are a treasure to the pool world

Agreed, but Lou is certainly a treasure to far more than just the pool world. Thanks for sharing, Lou. This thread makes an impact on far more people than you will ever know.
Karl

SJDinPHX
06-07-2011, 11:43 PM
Lou,

Glad things are going well for your lovely wife. Like John H., I lost my sweet wife of 36 years, last July. She was 11 yrs. younger than me, and I never dreamed she would go first. I will always miss her.

Hope you two enjoy many more happy years, you're a lucky man Lou..:)

Thanks for sharing,

Dick

ironman
06-08-2011, 05:43 AM
A great post and most inspiring. i have seen quite a few whose lives were ruined by the obsession with this game. But i suppose if not pool it could be something else. i think your wife was very clever to be supportive and encouraging.
i salute you both as I wipe away the tears. i feel you both are quite fortanate to have each other!

rayjay
06-08-2011, 08:04 AM
Great story, thank you and God bless you both. Love is eternal.

lfigueroa
06-12-2011, 08:17 AM
A heartfelt thank you to Brian, DRW, 3RAILKICK, Freddy, BelleBelle, floppybear, pwd72s, highrun55, Mike, Pamela, Spantiznik, KCRack'em, ironman, and rayjay.

To Sarah: I can't believe you thought I was a meanie ;-) Thank you and believe me -- time flies. 25 will be here in the blink of an eye.

To powerlineman80: my thoughts and prayers go out to your cousin. I have a friend whose brother came down with the very same variant, at about the same age, and he is now cancer free. We all need to maintain hope. I also send my condolences over the loss of your Aunt.

To Mully and Mrs. Mully: congratulations (and thank you). Certainly the day you find out is one of the very worst. You sit there in shock, disbelief, and dread, and think about your future in a way you never conceived of before, with a million questions that no one can really answer. And there is absolutely nothing you can do except hold hands, put one foot in front of the other, trust the doctors, and pray to your God.

To Richie: I am very sorry for the loss of your Dad. And thank you for the good thoughts.

And to San Jose Dick: I cannot conceive of the loss you, and John, have suffered -- losing your best friend and companion. I am so very, very lucky and look at life now in a completely different light, each and every day.

To everyone: sorry to all for the delay in acknowledging your kind thoughts and good wishes. We just got back from two weeks in Italy and Greece to celebrate the 25th. It was grand :-)

Lou Figueroa

Danny Ross
06-28-2011, 08:54 PM
big ups!!! great post!!!

lfigueroa
06-29-2011, 04:41 AM
big ups!!! great post!!!

Thanks, Danny.

Lou Figueroa