PDA

View Full Version : phenolic tip holding chalk

Aristotle
05-27-2011, 12:33 PM
does any know if you can scuff up a phenolic tip to hold chalk better? or if there is a way to do it? Asking for my jump cue...

Tommy-D
05-27-2011, 01:02 PM
> It can be done,how effective it is can only be determined by the person that does it,and the material itself.

It CAN be done with a Tip Pick,really coarse (80 grit) sandpaper,or a file. You can also use certain types of normal scuffers,such as the common Willard's,the BRAD and the It's George that Brunswick now markets. These have carbide grit welded on to steel,and are aggressive enough to do it.

Certain materials used for this,such as the ferrule/tip combo on the older Sledgehammer j/b cues is a canvas based phenolic,and generally holds chalk better naturally than most of the others.
There is also a way to actually put grooves in it that help to hold chalk,but that has to be done on a lathe,by someone skilled.

I've had good luck getting them to hold chalk by using a really sharp,rough file when I shape these during installation.

Be careful whatever you decide to do,you can easily scar up the sides of the ferrule if not. Tommy D.

Aristotle
05-27-2011, 01:14 PM
thanks for the tips.

donuteric
05-27-2011, 01:31 PM
Or you can get a Kamui chalk. Seriously, it works extremely well on phenolic tips.

KCRack'em
05-27-2011, 02:26 PM
I use black Masters chalk and it adheres to phenolic much better than the blue. I have no idea why.....

justadub
05-27-2011, 02:30 PM
What are folks experiences with Blue Diamond or Magic chalk on phenolic tips?

I'm not opposed to trying the Kamui for this purpose, but I'm not gonna jump through hoops to get it. Eventually it'll be easier to try, but until then I'm probably gonna try either Blue Diamond or Magic, and if one is better on phenolics than the other, that would help me make my decision.

softshot
05-27-2011, 02:35 PM
I have canvas phenolic and I've never done anything to it.. and it holds chalk just fine

Baxter
05-27-2011, 04:14 PM
I used a regular tip scuffer, and it worked pretty good. I use Blue Diamond, and it does adhere better than Master's. You have to rescuff once in a while.

Blue Hog ridr
05-27-2011, 04:22 PM
I use a wood rasp where the grit is more akin to the grit on a Willards shaper.
You can use a fine file or heavier grit sandpaper.

I found that Pre Flag that I use is finer than Master. It doesn't seem to stick
as well to the phenolic when it becomes a bit glazed.
Masters sticks just fine.

Doesn't hurt to give the tip a little once over every now and again when you find it a bit glazed. You'll still get lots of life from a phenolic.

OneIron
05-28-2011, 06:11 PM
does any know if you can scuff up a phenolic tip to hold chalk better? or if there is a way to do it? Asking for my jump cue...

This really doesn't answer your question but I've found the White Diamond tips from Joe Picone are much better than phenolic. They jump and break great and hold chalk well. Rarely see a miscue with this tip.

leilijia
06-09-2011, 05:53 AM
Dear everyone :

My name is Lei from CHINA Longkou Aoxing Insulation , We produce Phenolic canvas Rod and G10 Rod serving Cue industry as tip of break cue .

Our website is : http://www.lk-aoxing.com/ ( English version available ) .

We have Photoes for Reference ..

Phenolic and G10 's advantage is Stiff , mostly used in break cue and jump cue ...

Our selling Prices are :
Product Diameter(Inch) Length(Inch) Unit Price($/pc)
G10 Rod 0.375 48 10.85
G10 Rod 0.437 48 11.36
G10 Rod 0.562 48 12.9
Phenolic Canvas Rod 0.562 48 8
Phenolic Linen Rod 0.562 48 9.1

Above Sizes are commonly used , We already work with some US Cuemakers , IF You have any interest pls feel free contact me ...

Regards

Lei

Email : leilijia1987@yeah.net

Black-Balled
06-09-2011, 05:57 AM
My experience with phenolic tips leads me to believe that they don't need chalk. it isnt like you are spinning the ball as you would with your regular cue.

Of course I chalk it, but it is likely more a result of habit than necessity.

gunzby
06-09-2011, 08:21 AM
Sandman Tip Tool (http://www.seyberts.com/products/Sandman_Tip_Tool-58-24.html)

I use one of these to shape all my tips. They work incredibly well to scuff a phenolic tip so that it holds chalk great.